• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

RedSwirl

Direct 2 Drive just opened the floodgates.
http://www.direct2drive.com/holiday/

Steam does a lot of these deals better, but D2D does a lot of theirs better too:

Street fighter IV - $20
Mercenaries 2 - $5
Company of Heroes Tales of Valor - $7.50
Mount and Blade - $7.50
Police Quest Collection - $10
SWAT 4 - $7.50
SWAT 4 Gold - $10
SWAT 4 The Stetchkov Syndicate - $5
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - $10

Tokubetsu

Loved how the game I wanted to go on sale is. Gonna grab RFG and debating Armored PRincess. I have King's Bounty from GamersGate and I'm nowhere near the end. I think I'm gonna pass even though 10 bucks is a fucking amazing price.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
prodystopian said:
Interesting: It must be on a slower server because I'm DLing Fallout 3 GotY waaaay faster*.

*Yea, I went back and bought that as well:D
It was a mistake, buying this so early.

Damn it, and I just got Armoured Princess on the one day "sale" trudging through Gamersgate damn swamp for $19.99 versus Steam's then $26!

Bah, I guess I can say I've continuity with both bought on GG now...but damn it still. Screw the other DD outlets for now unless something is under or right about at $10.

Echoing a hope for cheap Drakensang and still hoping for a giant damned markdown of Civ IV Complete---I wanna try this Fall from Heaven stuff!

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Think they'll put Call of Juarez 2 up on the deal of the day sale? I really want it, but I got ripped buying the first one (day after you got it for free if you pre-ordered CoJ2, I think) so I'm waiting for it to be around 15 euros :/

Wallach

ItsInMyVeins said:
Think they'll put Call of Juarez 2 up on the deal of the day sale? I really want it, but I got ripped buying the first one (day after you got it for free if you pre-ordered CoJ2, I think) so I'm waiting for it to be around 15 euros :/

Honestly, I would not buy anything outside of the daily deals until the last day of this sale. There's no reason to, really. Just hang tight.

Putting up Armored Princess for $10 is sort of awesome. Not just because it's cheap, but people who impulse buy it are in for a world of hurt if they haven't played the original because the difficultly curve and spikes in Armored Princess are some of the nastiest I've seen in a game in a very long time. It's a better game than KB:TL, but it's also a game made for people who've played and completed KB:TL.

So keep that in mind when you're buying it. Be prepared to not be able to waltz through it on hard or impossible without doing some forum homework over on the 1C boards first at the very least.

This shit is killing me. So far I've gotten:

2.50 Audiosurf
2.49 Braid
23.79 Id Collection
4.99 Kings Quest Collection
2.49 Defense Grid
9.99 Star Wars Jedi Knight pack

and now:

7.49 Battlefield 2 Complete
9.99 Red Faction Guerrilla
$63.73

I'm eyeballing Vampire the Masquerade ($10) from D2D. Good thing I planned for this.

edit: Added prices and a few other things.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Fragamemnon said:
Putting up Armored Princess for $10 is sort of awesome. Not just because it's cheap, but people who impulse buy it are in for a world of hurt if they haven't played the original because the difficultly curve and spikes in Armored Princess are some of the nastiest I've seen in a game in a very long time. It's a better game than KB:TL, but it's also a game made for people who've played and completed KB:TL.

So keep that in mind when you're buying it. Be prepared to not be able to waltz through it on hard or impossible without doing some forum homework over on the 1C boards first at the very least.

What's tougher, Pools of Darkness or AP?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Fragamemnon said:

Guess I'll hold off till it is cheaper

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What? Red faction, resident evil 5, and battlefield 2 are terrible now? Yesterday sucked but not today even if you own them.

Console game.

Console game.

Battlefield game.

(Not trolling, just not a fan of Battlefield titles in general.)

WHARS MY TF2 (I missed the $2.49 sale because I was napping.)

WHARS MY ORANGE BOX

WHARS MY VALVE TITLES

WHARS MY KILLING FLOOR FOR $3​

Patience.

-_-

Great day for the Glorious PC Master Race gamers who haven't sullied their living spaces with consoles!

:D

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Wallach

Fragamemnon said:

Uh, it's not that fuckin' hard.

The only tip people need to remember to not get their butthole fondled by randoms is to remember to inspect shit before you go running into them. Every time. Do not enter combat without checking out your target and you will be fine.

AnonymousNoob said:
Console game.

Console game.

Battlefield game.

(Not trolling, just not a fan of Battlefield titles in general.)

WHARS MY TF2 (I missed the $2.49 sale because I was napping.)

WHARS MY ORANGE BOX

WHARS MY VALVE TITLES

WHARS MY KILLING FLOOR FOR $3​

Patience.

-_-

Great day for the Glorious PC Master Race gamers who haven't sullied their living spaces with consoles!

:D

Looking forward to tomorrow.

I'd be more convinced that you belong to such a thing if you weren't waiting for a bunch of games that anyone PC gamer or otherwise should really own by now.

Wallach said:
Uh, it's not that fuckin' hard.

Poor selection of troops and/or taking too many losses in combat will result in the player likely having to restart the game around the third or fourth island-you'll run out of cash and attackable monster stacks that aren't suicide, especially on the two elevated difficultly levels I mentioned. Thankfully the difficultly smooths out 1/2 through the game but there definitely a rough patch, especially for mages, at about the 1/4 mark.

I finished the game on hard btw. I would have done it on impossible but the options there are even more restrictive in terms of how you can play the game, and given how long the game is I wanted some options for variety on how I played it.

Wallach

randomlyrossy said:
I'd be more convinced that you belong to such a thing if you weren't waiting for a bunch of games that anyone PC gamer or otherwise should really own by now.

Haha, seriously. Doesn't buy console games, doesn't buy TF2 or other Valve games - what the fuck are you actually buying for your PC, man? :lol

Yaweee

Fragamemnon said:

It is hard, but I wouldn't say there are difficulty "spikes". You always have tons of freedom where to go next and what enemies to fight, and the game's seven major objectives (of which you're told at the very beginning) mostly have no limits on the order you do them in. Except for those quests, there are no fights that are specifically required. However, if you've played poorly, you might be placed in a position where you have to select your battles very carefully.

The difficulty curve is overall pretty damn smooth, with its slope determined by which difficulty you select. Just don't be arrogant and expect to be able to Save/Load your way through the higher difficulties, or even normal, and don't expect it to be a cakewalk on Easy. It is possible to create screwed save files so don't save over your old ones.

Truespeed

Anyone else sick of these sanctimonious imperialistic SOB's that try to call you out by not buying the games they bought? Just checking...

Jake

With Red Faction: Guerilla on sale, it's impossible to not link to Space Asshole.

I've purchased more games in the last two days than I have in months. I would have probably paid $25 just for the Commander Keen games again, but instead I get all of Quake, Doom, and Wolfenstein? Crazy times.

Firestorm

I see all those Left 4 Dead 2 and Modern Warfare 2 gifts from Christmas were redeemed on Steam today. #1 and #2 spots respectively.

syllogism

Yaweee said:
It is hard, but I wouldn't say there are difficulty "spikes". You always have tons of freedom where to go next and what enemies to fight, and the game's seven major objectives (of which you're told at the very beginning) mostly have no limits on the order you do them in. Except for those quests, there are no fights that are specifically required. However, if you've played poorly, you might be placed in a position where you have to select your battles very carefully.

The difficulty curve is overall pretty damn smooth, with its slope determined by which difficulty you select. Just don't be arrogant and expect to be able to Save/Load your way through the higher difficulties, or even normal, and don't expect it to be a cakewalk on Easy. It is possible to create screwed save files so don't save over your old ones.
You don't have that much freedom if you don't steal the maps, which requires quite a bit of save scumming, as they are typically protected by stacks that are much harder than the rest

Truespeed

I really wish Valve would put the impetus on their partners to update their O/S compatibility specifications. I hate having to continually go to the forums to see if it even works on Win 7 64 bit. I'm not asking for exhaustive or extreme corner case testing, but just enough information that I can play it without any major issues.

Yaweee

syllogism said:
You don't have that much freedom if you don't steal the maps, which requires quite a bit of save scumming, as they are typically protected by stacks that are much harder than the rest

From my experience, most maps can't be stolen due to the enemies not having a huge movement range; you have to kill the hard enemies blocking them. Even once you get flying there's usually no-fly zones surrounding the maps.

luiztfc

I can't take it anymore! Everytime I go to steam, I buy a game!

So far:
Braid $2.49
Defense Grid: The Awakening $2.49
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition $4.99
Modern Warfare 2 $59.99
Orange Box $22.49
Audiosurf $2.50
Unreal Deal Pack $13.59
Battlefield 2: Complete Collection $7.49

Total until now: U$ 116.03

Truespeed

Median said:
So I bought Red Faction on Friday...is there any hope of me getting $10 back on it?

No chance. Steam ain't Wal*Mart. But, I know what you mean. I bought Trine on D2D for $10 and it was on Steam the next day for $8. The rage was almost uncontrollable.

Jake said:
With Red Faction: Guerilla on sale, it's impossible to not link to Space Asshole.

I've purchased more games in the last two days than I have in months. I would have probably paid $25 just for the Commander Keen games again, but instead I get all of Quake, Doom, and Wolfenstein? Crazy times.
Now I miss Idle Thumbs again. Great video, though.

syllogism

Yaweee said:
From my experience, most maps can't be stolen due to the enemies not having a huge movement range; you have to kill the hard enemies blocking them. Even once you get flying there's usually no-fly zones surrounding the maps.
Nah, you can still kite them away. I did that on my no casualties impossible run

Yaweee said:
It is hard, but I wouldn't say there are difficulty "spikes".

In my game, things went from having to fight red "very hard/lethal" fights on Bolo/second pirate island/Verona to literally cruising my way through Montero and the later islands fighting mostly 'equal' stacks. The difficultly definitely seemed to spike on my play through early on, you can get around it if you kite stuff ( seems like cheating and it's a huge PITA in terms of save/reload ) to get access to more areas without fighting. This was on hard and Drinky Crow mentioned it to me that it happened to him on Normal.

Don't get me wrong-I finished the game and totally enjoyed it. I just really think people would be better suited to playing KB:TL first if possible, or, barring that, at least go to the 1c forums for the game and get an idea, at the very least, as to which troops suck and which ones don't. Because some of the troops you can hire in the game are totally terrible compared to others, and will burn a huge hole in your pocket replacing them after fights.

Firestorm

luiztfc said:
I can't take it anymore! Everytime I go to steam, I buy a game!

So far:
Braid $2.49
Defense Grid: The Awakening $2.49
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition $4.99
Modern Warfare 2 $59.99
Orange Box $22.49
Audiosurf $2.50
Unreal Deal Pack $13.59
Battlefield 2: Complete Collection $7.49

Total until now: U$ 116.03
one of these is not like the other

Truespeed

Firestorm said:
one of these is not like the other

Horshack.jpg

RedSwirl

Jake said:

That video would be much better with cheats turned on.

With super hammer and super debris, one smack of the hammer will throw any vehicle over 100 feet. People fly with enough force to go through buildings.

DryvBy

Geez, Steam broke me. So did PSN. I got:

Steam:
-GTA 4
-STALKER Clear Skies
-Rome: Total War Gold
-Medieval II: Total War
-Red Faction Trilogy

PSN:
Red Alert 3 Commander Somethinganother
Battlefield 1943

poweld

Well, now I'm in for Outrun and Armored Princess. I liked the first one, so it sounds like I'll like this one.

So many more days of this... I'm a little worried :lol

Yaweee

Fragamemnon said:
In my game, things went from having to fight red "very hard/lethal" fights on Bolo/second pirate island/Verona to literally cruising my way through Montero and the later islands fighting mostly 'equal' stacks. The difficultly definitely seemed to spike on my play through early on, you can get around it if you kite stuff ( seems like cheating and it's a huge PITA in terms of save/reload ) to get access to more areas without fighting. This was on hard and Drinky Crow mentioned it to me that it happened to him on Normal.

Don't get me wrong-I finished the game and totally enjoyed it. I just really think people would be better suited to playing KB:TL first if possible, or, barring that, at least go to the 1c forums for the game and get an idea, at the very least, as to which troops suck and which ones don't. Because some of the troops you can hire in the game are totally terrible compared to others, and will burn a huge hole in your pocket replacing them after fights.

I guess I would agree that it gets a bit easier later on, once you can fly and have access to far more battles. On Hard as a Mage it got pretty tight before I made it to the bridge in Verona. Now I'm just flying around questing so I can take on the bosses for the final three gems.

randomlyrossy said:

Wallach said:
Haha, seriously. Doesn't buy console games, doesn't buy TF2 or other Valve games - what the fuck are you actually buying for your PC, man? :lol

Wat.

I'm clearly a PC gaming neophyte due to the fact that I already own a console on which to play console titles.

And the fact that I want PC games that everyone already owns for cheap.

It's not great for me.

That's why I was complaining.

That said, I can understand why today's deals are appealing for other gamers.

Perspective!

Wallach

Still have to pass on RE5. Too many days left of this sale to drop 25 bucks on it. I never finished it on console so I've been waiting for a PC sale but it still needs to be lower.

Truespeed

I so thought Outrun Coast to Coast would have been a better game. I just hate these arcade racing games where you feel like you're pivoting the screen and not turning the car.

Proc

Wallach said:
Still have to pass on RE5. Too many days left of this sale to drop 25 bucks on it. I never finished it on console so I've been waiting for a PC sale but it still needs to be lower.

Don't forget that the directors cut is coming to the consoles. This kept me away at least.

Jake

RedSwirl said:
That video would be much better with cheats turned on.

With super hammer and super debris, one smack of the hammer will throw any vehicle over 100 feet. People fly with enough force to go through buildings.

haha nice. I think Nick was just frapsing his regular playthrough, and used that stuff to put together a video. Surely a more extreme video could be made, but would it be as true? As real? Probably.

Wallach

Proc said:
Don't forget that the directors cut is coming to the consoles. This kept me away at least.

Oh, I totally forgot about that. More waiting!

Not that it matters, I have WAY too much to play before ME2 and no hope of playing it all anyway.

Top Bottom