• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Rubezh

speculawyer said:
Is Single player any good in Battlefield 2?

I wouldn't recommend it. You can play the 16 player sized maps with bots but unless you download a mod, that means no jets, large scale fights, and a few of the maps don't even have 16 player versions.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
BF2 only appears as one entry. I guess this is ok right? It's not gonna list every expansion... like COH. =P

Minsc

Gold Member
Armored Princess for $10!!! Awesome! I had hoped that went on sale as well, my open tabs are dwindling down slowly.

What's amazing is there are still like 9 more days of deals, so far the daily deals have been 3/3 for me!

epmode

Mrbob said:
Wow, some crazy deals. Gonna hit up Red Faction myself. And only Armored Princess on sale what kind of sorcery is this? :lol

Maybe the original game will go on sale too?
Honestly, they're almost the same game. You're not missing much by only going with AP.

RJT

Battlefield :D

1942 is one of my favourite games of all time, and I never played BF2. Thanks for the gift, Steam'a Claus!

speculawyer said:
You might want to consider the entire THQ pack if you are already getting that much from THQ.

It's way too much money for $55 more the only games I don't own are coh: tales of valor and saints row 2. I got the THQ pack last year.

epmode

AnonymousNoob said:
Second terrible day.

D:
No taste confirmed.

XD
Basileus777 said:
I installed the KB:AP demo, but it just gives me a black screen before it cancels out. I wonder if Steam fucked up the download.
It's certainly possible. Have you checked the file integrity? Right-click the game in the Steam menu and go to properties.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
So freakin good...

My haul thus far is Civ III Complete (Never got the X-pacs), Defense Grid, id Super Pack yesterday (id owned my soul from 1996-2000) and Armored Princess today (easiest purchase so far.) Heavily considering the Edios Collector's pack.

Merry Christmas to me and to all of you guys.

Owzers

Anyone try out Cogs?

I feel like i should be buying King's Bounty Armored Princess but i bought the first one when it was on sale and have'nt even started it!

Big-E said:
Got an email saying card was declined. They need to fix their servers soon.

I would think they would have enough bandwidth dedicated so the sales would be going off without a hitch even if the game downloads were slow.

Visualante said:
PS2 + USB adapter if you're cheap. PS3 + bluetooth adapter if not.

I don't see the argument for a 360 pad on PC. The d-pad sucks.

Try installing the PS3 pad on 64-bit Vista. :lol

Then you'll see the argument.

But for platformers, 2d or similar stuff I'd agree.

Visualante said:

Well, the d-pad can be fixed if its a problem, and it's far superior to the DS pads in the analogs, comfort, and triggers, so I prefer it. Of course that's just an opinion, like yours.

EDIT - Yeah, the Saturn-style pads are the best if you don't plan on ever using the analogs/triggers.

As for today's deals. They're pretty meh. Already have RF:G, RE5, and BF2, and I tried the King's Bounty demo when it came out and did not like it at all. Cogs and Elf bowling do not look compelling and I can't even try the demo for Cogs due to steam being hammered.

Maybe tomorrow, Steam.

Cogs is a pretty fun game, I'd recommend it for $2. If you don't totally hate sliding-tile puzzles, it takes the concept and does a lot of creative things with it. You have to do a lot of thinking in three dimensions, moreso than most puzzle games.

Yaweee

I highly recommend Armored Princess; it and The Legend are easily two of the best games I've played in years. For what it's worth, I played the demo of the original and hated it at first; the demos are not at all indicative of the regular flow of the game.

I haven't bought anything out of the Steam Sales yet, but hopefully I'll grab something soon. The D2D sale from two months back bloated my backlog to a point where everything is a tough sale, no matter how big the deal.

Proc

I haven't finished the original kings bounty yet, should I bite the bullet and add more to my plate?

$10 seems reasonable for something I'd eventually get to, I'm just not sure when that would be.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
So many questions:

- If the only MP I like to do is co-op, is the Eidos collection worth getting (if I probably won't play the battlestations games)?

- Is Left 4 Dead fun by yourself?

- TRINE - yay or nay?

sonicmj1

The beginning of the Steam sale, combined with some of the spoils of the D2D Christmas sale, have filled my backlog considerably. As a result, I have a hard time being sold on just about anything. But this day's deals are rather tempting.

What is King's Bounty like compared to something like Heroes of Might and Magic III?

Big-E said:
Got an email saying card was declined. They need to fix their servers soon.
If you get rejected several times, you get locked out of being able to buy anything. Send support request.

But there is a work around . . . create a new account and buy with that account and gift to your normal account.

RedSwirl

biocat said:
saturn_usb_controller_white.jpg

There seems to be a lot of them online for pretty cheap and it, of course, has a nice d-pad.

The easiest way to go from a store might be the 360 Street Fighter pad if they still got em'.

Are the retrolink ones any good? I'm seeing those for NES and SNES pads. Also, I remember Oddworld using a lot of buttons.

I'll try the PS2 pad again but I'm pretty sure I've gotten lag with that one.

Sometimes I can get my PS3 pad to work with those USB drivers for it, but only for some games, and no matter where I am in my house, it will always turn the PS3 on when I disconnect it from the PC.

zoku88

mr jones said:
So many questions:

- If the only MP I like to do is co-op, is the Eidos collection worth getting (if I probably won't play the battlestations games)?

- Is Left 4 Dead fun by yourself?

- TRINE - yay or nay?
There's a Trine demo.

Pretty sure L4D would not be fun by yourself. Why can't you play with others?

I have found that my download is stopping randomly going from "Downloading: X%, XXXKB.s" to Download Starting. To get it to fire back up it seems pausing and resuming works very quickly.

Jirotrom

rohlfinator said:
Cogs is a pretty fun game, I'd recommend it for $2. If you don't totally hate sliding-tile puzzles, it takes the concept and does a lot of creative things with it. You have to do a lot of thinking in three dimensions, moreso than most puzzle games.
perfect for my DATs :D

Visualante said:

Quite a few PC games support the 360 controllers and joysticks such as the SFIV sticks by default, meaning plug and play. Off the top of my head I know Borderlands, Crysis, TF2, L4D1 & 2, SFIV, GTAIV, Fallout 3, Dirt 2, Arma2, Serious Sam, Outrun 2006, Monkey Island special edition all have built in control schemes supporting 360 controllers. Also if you game on the 360 itself it makes the transition easier since you can stick with the same controller. Hope this helps explain why people would choose the 360 controller on PC over PS2/PS3.

Baha

prodystopian said:
Just picked up Witcher enhanced for $13.59. I've been meaning to check this out for so long and I really wanted to pay for it instead of borrowing it from a friend after they did the huge update with the Enhanced Edition.

I received an error getting Witcher, but before I could finish registering for support, I got an email saying the purchase went through and it was in My Games list, so I clicked install and it is currently downloading. I'm assuming the system is glitchy because of all the crazies on right now *shifts_eyes*.

Edit: My download was definitely moving, but now it says 'download starting'.

Keep pausing & resuming the download, it took me about 2 days to download the game. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far :D .

mr jones said:
Most of those games are SP only anyway. Kane & Lynch is pretty fun in co-op if you can find someone to play with.

Yaweee

sonicmj1 said:
What is King's Bounty like compared to something like Heroes of Might and Magic III?

I haven't played much of the HoMM games, but KB reviews I've read characterized it as a similar battle system wrapped in more of a traditional RPG instead of a kingdom-sim/strategy structure.

Grayman

NameGenerated said:
Would like to know this too.

Also I'm so tempted to get BF2 but the expansions would seem like they splinter up the community. If you play the latest one does it included everything in the previous versions? I haven't play BF2 since the first expansion was released.
I think all the expansions were added to vanilla BF2 with the last patch.

Features
Additional support for Windows Vista.
Added Highway Tampa as a required map.
Added a new map called Operation Blue Pearl.
Added Euro Force and Armored Fury as free to play content for all Battlefield 2 players.

Added Widescreen support
Allowed BF2.exe to use more than 2Gb RAM
Added support for the Novint Falcon controller (www.novint.com).
so all but special forces is "free" to someone who already had the game, at this price though the collection is cheaper than SF

skrew

Banned
Got armored princess, not sure but red faction. I think I'll hold on to the money for another day.

Is Batman:AA Playable on a laptop with 2.26 GHZ C2D and 9800M GTS?

JudgeN

Wow good thing I didn't pick up King Bounty Armored Princess yesterday :lol

9.99 = bought

God damn it steam I'm up to like $40 in the last 2 weeks.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Never played a HoMM game, never played KB-The Legend and I'm not sure if Armored Princess will be too hard for me...

BUY? YES - NO?

Wallach

Volcynika said:
Not sure about Armored Princess, since the demo is confusing as hell with seemingly no tutorial. Someone help me out?

Basically, it's a hex-based SRPG in the vein of HoMM where you run around making swarms of bears fight for glory.

Davidion

JudgeN said:
Wow good thing I didn't pick up King Bounty Armored Princess yesterday :lol

9.99 = bought

God damn it steam I'm up to like $40 in the last 2 weeks.

Oh yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah

Proc

Des0lar said:
Never played a HoMM game, never played KB-The Legend and I'm not sure if Armored Princess will be too hard for me...

BUY? YES - NO?

I'm of the mind set that anything that is remotely interesting at $10 is a buy. Especially if its a pc game on steam.

You'd easily get $10 of enjoyment out of something new that you normally don't play.

However, there will be other $10 deals, so its your call on where you want to experiment.

Personally, I'm going to play some KB: The Legend today and see if I want or need more of the same.

Def Jukie

Looking at picking up armored princess. Do I need to play the first at all or will I be able to just jump into the second. Are the games stories related at all?

Baha said:
Keep pausing & resuming the download, it took me about 2 days to download the game. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far :D .

Interesting: It must be on a slower server because I'm DLing Fallout 3 GotY waaaay faster*.

*Yea, I went back and bought that as well:D

Wallach

Def Jukie said:
Looking at picking up armored princess. Do I need to play the first at all or will I be able to just jump into the second. Are the games stories related at all?

It would really only help you get used to the gameplay if you're not familiar with Heroes of Might and Magic. If you are, just jump in.

Firestorm

There are people who think today's deals are bad? The hell? Awesome day. At $19.99 and $14.99, I was borderline on Red Faction Guerilla and Battlefield 2. At half those prices, I had to bite :( These are actually my first non-gift purchases of the sale.

And yes, it seems EA is doing a game per day. We've had one every day so far. With Red Faction Guerilla going on sale today, I guess this confirms that even highly discounted games can go on sale further =)

Listen Up and Out of the Game better be right about RFG.

Top Bottom