• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Jirotrom

AnonymousNoob said:
Console game.

Console game.

Battlefield game.

(Not trolling, just not a fan of Battlefield titles in general.)

WHARS MY TF2 (I missed the $2.49 sale because I was napping.)

WHARS MY ORANGE BOX

WHARS MY VALVE TITLES

WHARS MY KILLING FLOOR FOR $3​

Patience.

-_-

Great day for the Glorious PC Master Race gamers who haven't sullied their living spaces with consoles!

:D

Looking forward to tomorrow.
lets ignore cogs and armored princess

fatty

For you bums who have bought King's Bounty: Armored Princess, how large is the download?

I'm tempted but I still have yet to play KB:TL, but for $10 it's hard to resist.

By the way, Merry Christmas!

Koojay

fatty said:
For you bums who have bought King's Bounty: Armored Princess, how large is the download?

I'm tempted but I still have yet to play KB:TL, but for $10 it's hard to resist.

Hard Drive: 5.5 GB of free space

That is what is listed on the Armored Princess steam page, so I would assume around there.

I think I've almost doubled the number of games I bought this year in these couple of days. Good thing I got 2tb of harddrive for Christmas :lol

Terrifyer

Banned
fatty said:

4940 MB

RedSwirl

Aquavelvaman said:
I think I've almost doubled the number of games I bought this year in these couple of days. Good thing I got 2tb of harddrive for Christmas :lol

Same here, I got a 1TB drive. The only physical presents I've gotten so far have just been more storage space for digital content.

Cronox

Banned
I've been thinking that I'd rather have red faction guerrilla on consoles because I hear the pc multiplayer was broken. Is that still the case?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
What I feel these last two days have lacked are the semi-current titles you already have which you might buy again. Imagine Tomb Raider: Legends, Psychonauts, BioShock or Grand Theft Auto: Vice City dropping to the €2-5 range.

Speaking of which, Beyond Good and Evil looks kind of nice at €2.50 even though I already own it for the PS2.

SmZA

Three (?) days into the sale and I still haven't buckled. It helps that I've already bought most of the games I'd want on sale over the past year.

I think one of my New Years' resolutions will be to try and ignore all these damn Steam sales and just finish the games I've got.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Paulathon said:
Three (?) days into the sale and I still haven't buckled. It helps that I've already bought most of the games I'd want on sale over the past year.

I think one of my New Years' resolutions will be to try and ignore all these damn Steam sales and just finish the games I've got.

But you know they'll make you an offer you can't resist. :)

I was purposely avoiding this thread because I already spent too much money on games.

However, I already regret not getting GT IV at that low price, and I'm considering getting Resident Evil V. (However, planning on getting a PS3, I'll probably get it there instead.)

DryvBy

Koojay said:
Hard Drive: 5.5 GB of free space

That is what is listed on the Armored Princess steam page, so I would assume around there.

Is there a way to have 2 steam directories? I need one. 100 GB of games and I need to keep my other games on another drive.

TheExodu5

Banned
DryvBy2 said:
Is there a way to have 2 steam directories? I need one. 100 GB of games and I need to keep my other games on another drive.

I believe there's a way to link drives through Windows or something, but it's tricky.

Personally, I'm going out to buy another 1TB drive tomorrow, and I'll be using that exclusively for games. You get better performance as well if you're multitasking while playing games (windowed mode perhaps), since program and game access are on separate drives. You can get a Wester Digital 1TB Caviar Black for like $90-100 nowadays, so it's really the best option, IMO.

Also, if you're like me and format a lot, that means you don't have to back up your Steam games!

OK, so I've called out the last two days with games I wanted. I got SS:HD, then KB:AP. So, now that I have this power, I shall call out another game.

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. $4.99.

It is done.

TheExodu5

Banned
gregor7777 said:
OK, so I've called out the last two days with games I wanted. I got SS:HD, then KB:AP. So, now that I have this power, I shall call out another game.

It is done.

I present to you a request: Arma II - $0.99.

May it receive your blessing.

gregor7777 said:

It is done.
Why not call out the GTA trilogy while you're at it please.

zbarron

TheExodu5 said:
I believe there's a way to link drives through Windows or something, but it's tricky.

Personally, I'm going out to buy another 1TB drive tomorrow, and I'll be using that exclusively for games. You get better performance as well if you're multitasking while playing games (windowed mode perhaps), since program and game access are on separate drives. You can get a Wester Digital 1TB Caviar Black for like $90-100 nowadays, so it's really the best option, IMO.

Also, if you're like me and format a lot, that means you don't have to back up your Steam games!
Make sure you have it hooked up through ESATA if possible. My Steam is on my 1TB external HDD hooked up through ESATA. That way I can just bring the HDD to any other computer and play any of my 60 odd games instantly.

DryvBy2 said:

TheExodu5 said:

I've been using this since I upgraded to an intel 80gb SSD:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_master_your_file_system_mklink

I think it was Minsc that turned me on to this originally. Let me tell you, it works. You need enough space on your primary drive to actually D/L the game, but then you can move it to another drive and use this command and Steam, the game load perfectly. I've personally tested it with GTAIV, SFIV, Dirt 2, Arma2 since installing win7 on the SSD. I have TF2 and some smaller games on the primary drive, then larger games on my 1tb samsung.

Edit: Beaten =p

TheExodu5

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:

I think it was Minsc that turned me on to this originally. Let me tell you, it works. You need enough space on your primary drive to actually D/L the game, but then you can move it to another drive and use this command and Steam, the game load perfectly. I've personally tested it with GTAIV, SFIV, Dirt 2, Arma2 since installing win7 on the SSD. I have TF2 and some smaller games on the primary drive, then larger games on my 1tb samsung.

I'm actually looking at an SSD since I'm going shopping tomorrow. I've done a bit of research, and although the articles I read are outdated, they seem to say Intel's the best out there. What drive do you have, and how much did you pay for it (and from where)? How's it working out for you?

vazel

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:

That's awesome.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm actually looking at an SSD since I'm going shopping tomorrow. I've done a bit of research, and although the articles I read are outdated, they seem to say Intel's the best out there. What drive do you have, and how much did you pay for it (and from where)? How's it working out for you?

Intel: best for small writes, but obviously more expensive per MB
Indilinx (Vertex,Agility,etc): best for max write speed, cheaper per MB usually

The Intel's are no doubt solid but having used a Vertex 120 + HD at home and an Agility 120 on a laptop...you can't go wrong. Hell, you are not going to notice some easily quantifiable difference between any of the drives (except, of course, versus a normal hard drive...)

TheExodu5

Banned
Indilinx? Are those the same as OCZ drives? I see OCZ Vertex and Agility drives available.

A 120GB drive goes for about $400 here...a little too rich for my blood. I could get a 60GB for like $250 though.

What's better, Vertex or Agility? Spec wise, Agility seems better, and cheaper. What gives?

edit: I'll post in the PC thread.

TheExodu5 said:

I got an Intel X-25m 80gb:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167023

It was on sale the day before Thanksgiving @ newegg for $214. Sold out in about 4 hours I think, lol. It's working out awesome. I waited for the newest firmware to install Windows 7 on it for trim support etc. Boot times are in the 15 second range, and as soon as the desktop is up apps load instantly. Everything just feels "snappy", no lag opening anything. PC is more quiet overall as well. Doesn't make a huge difference as far as games, but as an OS drive it's perfect. It gets a 7.3 in the windows index for disk drive. I wouldn't pay the $299 they are charging now, but $214 for 80gb and Intel brand name was enough to get me to jump in. I was close to buying a Vertex or Agility OCZ drive, or Crucial or even Corsair or Patriot. Indilinx controller is what you should look for if you don't go with an Intel SSD.

skrew said:
Got armored princess, not sure but red faction. I think I'll hold on to the money for another day.

Is Batman:AA Playable on a laptop with 2.26 GHZ C2D and 9800M GTS?

Supremely. You'll get much better than console graphics/performance on that laptop in any UE3 games.

Picked up RFG, download speed is abysmal. 40%

My GFW Live ID is Plunderscore if anyone wants to blow some shit up, I'm not sure if it's worth it online.

clav

BF2 worth it?

I never touched BF1 or the originals. However, I did not like the XBLA version that came out recently.

I've only played the single player demo of Bad Company 1. It was OK.

The only thing that steam interests me are multiplayer games. Is the community still there?

I grabbed TF2 when it was on sale for $2.50 a few weeks ago.

Alex

BF2 is the best thing BF related.

So, yes.

Oh and with all these sales how the HELL is CoD: MW2 STILL in the top 5 most selling games at 59.99?

Goofballs slobber over lousy hyped game, world keeps on turnin'.

Menaged

Bought PoP:Sot and The Hitman Collection for 18$ total.

Can I play any of these games with a DualShock 3?

I almost bought the new Riddick but I'm not so confident my PC can run it properly, so I'll just wait for a cheap PS3 deal.

So in usual Steam terms what does "Deals through January 3rd" usually mean? Does that mean they expire midnight on the 3rd PST? Or does that mean they end on the second at the end of the day? I just want to make sure, as what I'm doing now is picking out the long term deals that I'm interested in (Eidos Pack, some Ubisoft / THQ / Atari games) but not pulling the trigger on them until the last day so that I can see all the daily sales as they come by and not miss on anything better. I just would hate to be waiting for the 3rd and have the other deals pulled out from under me.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
TheExodu5 said:
Indilinx? Are those the same as OCZ drives? I see OCZ Vertex and Agility drives available.

A 120GB drive goes for about $400 here...a little too rich for my blood. I could get a 60GB for like $250 though.

What's better, Vertex or Agility? Spec wise, Agility seems better, and cheaper. What gives?

edit: I'll post in the PC thread.

Indilinx is just the controller the ssd uses, which is one of the best controllers out there at the moment. Compared to intels own etc.

If you want to read up on SSDs check this anandtech link. There's enough detail and information in there to last you a life time. - http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631 - It's only a few months old and nothing has really changed since then.

I picked up a 30GB OCZ Vertex a few months back and i still haven't used it :lol . My intention was to use it as an OS drive on a new system but i don't really need a new system just yet. However i will still use it as an OS drive once that day arrives.

RedSwirl

So I've started the King's Bounty demo. Never played a hex strategy game but I'm sliding in with my Final Fantasy Tactics and Advance Wars skills. It's similar enough.

Battles seem to take a really long time though. Again, not sure if I'd have the time for this game with other similar material already on my plate.

desverger

Argh, these sales are killing me :p

I just bought Armored Princess from Gamersgate 2 days ago, for 20 EUR. On the same day it was on sale in steam for 26 EUR, and now it's going for 10 in steam again!

Still, lets hope it gets a lot of sales, since it's definitely a great game. Have already sunk a lot of hours into it and it's definitely improved in every way. I like the island structure which makes the difficulty curve smooth, even when playing as Mage.

NIN90

RedSwirl said:
So I've started the King's Bounty demo. Never played a hex strategy game but I'm sliding in with my Final Fantasy Tactics and Advance Wars skills. It's similar enough.

Battles seem to take a really long time though. Again, not sure if I'd have the time for this game with other similar material already on my plate.

You can increase the speed of the animations in the option menu.

RedSwirl

To set the record straight on Red Faction Guerrilla, I beat it on PC and PS3 a while back. It is a proper PC port. That's why they took extra time on it.

I haven't even touched multiplayer, but singleplayer runs and controls just fine. Personally it has been my favorite action game of the year, even over Modern Warfare 2's campaign.

The dynamic destruction is real - pretty much anything man-made in the game will take damage and collapse depending on the physics engine and what you do to it. Towards the end of the game I had to take down a dome building, and by just blowing up one support stud of the dome, the rest collapsed around it like dominoes.

The actual shooter part isn't very special but the demolition work is like nothing else. It's a decent game wrapped around an awesome toy.

Yaweee

RedSwirl said:

Have you set the battle speed higher? Also, make sure to use magic and the rage dragon every single turn.

The demo for the game is... weird. It plops you in a modified version of one of the last areas in the game at a modified level one, with extra gold, leadership, and enough runes to basically fill out the trees as you see fit, as well as the ability to fly which you normally don't get until the second half of the game.

RedSwirl

NIN90 said:
You can increase the speed of the animations in the option menu.

Maybe I'm just not used to the pace of these battles since I haven't played the aforementioned strategy games in a while. I mean it seems to take a lot of moves to win a battle. I'm also not clear on the strategy behind successfully defending and stuff in a hex game.

Oli

I'm loving Braid so far, well worth the $2.49, lol.

I tried the demo for Machinarium and really liked it, should I splurge on the full game during the sale?

RedSwirl

Yaweee said:
Have you set the battle speed higher? Also, make sure to use magic and the rage dragon every single turn.

The demo for the game is... weird. It plops you in a modified version of one of the last areas in the game at a modified level one, with extra gold, leadership, and enough runes to basically fill out the trees as you see fit, as well as the ability to fly which you normally don't get until the second half of the game.

Do you earn mana and rage that quickly?

Top Bottom