• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

So in usual Steam terms what does "Deals through January 3rd" usually mean?

It means that the discounts seen outside of the daily special stuff are good through January 3rd. It also means that Steam will deplete your wallet every day until that point with their daily deals and as the lure of cheap games saps your willpower.

desverger

RedSwirl said:
Do you earn mana and rage that quickly?

Plenty of ways to pump up your rage and mana in this game. Through items and talents. Transmute talent (you get mana each time a troop dies) is delicious. I seriously love the tactical fights in this one.

Ah heck, I'll go back to playing it :p

Yaweee

RedSwirl said:
Do you earn mana and rage that quickly?

Mana fills up between battles (and during with some Magic talents), and casting spells and hitting with a few of your units on the first turn will often give enough rage to use at least some of the dragon's abilities.

Did you spend your runes on talents yet? There are a lot of talents in the might tree that increase the maximum rage and its generation rate, as well as a Warrior exclusive one that will regenerate your rage to a non-zero value between fights.

kswiston

I think I'm going with BF2 collection and Armored Princess today. Looks like the name of the game is not to buy any non-deal of the day games unless they are at least 75% off already. I think after all of these holiday sales, my new year's resolution will have to be No PC game purchases for at least 6-8 weeks.

TheExodu5

Banned
evlcookie said:
Indilinx is just the controller the ssd uses, which is one of the best controllers out there at the moment. Compared to intels own etc.

If you want to read up on SSDs check this anandtech link. There's enough detail and information in there to last you a life time. - http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631 - It's only a few months old and nothing has really changed since then.

I picked up a 30GB OCZ Vertex a few months back and i still haven't used it :lol . My intention was to use it as an OS drive on a new system but i don't really need a new system just yet. However i will still use it as an OS drive once that day arrives.

Yeah I just read through the two articles. Very interesting stuff.

Well, in Ottawa, it seems the Vertex 64GB would cost me $250, while the Intel 80GB would cost me $280 if I can find it, or $300 on NCIX. The Intel is a no-brainer.

It's quite a pretty penny to spend on a drive though...but I'm considering it at this point.

edit: I can get an Intel X25-M 80GB (Gen 2) for $250 in Ottawa. Score.

Wallach

Just an FYI for you guys trying to D/L stuff today, I recommend using the Canada - Toronto hub as your download setting. A lot of the US hubs are just slammed, but I'm still getting a bit over 2MB/s from Toronto.

RedSwirl said:
uh... how do you replenish your troop strength in King's Bounty? Are there items in this game?

You recruit replacements by buying more troops to replace the ones you lost in your stacks. It can get costly if you lose a lot, so battles aren't just a matter of winning, but of minimizing losses.

The game features a full slate of regular items, upgradeable items, and set items. One of the best aspects about the series is how well done the skills and itemization are-it's a fully developed RPG in that regard.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Oli said:
I'm loving Braid so far, well worth the $2.49, lol.

I tried the demo for Machinarium and really liked it, should I splurge on the full game during the sale?
Yes yes yes. Support Indie games!

Wallach

Des0lar said:
Yes yes yes. Support Indie games!

You should really get Machinarium from their website or from Stardock; it's cheaper on Stardock for Machinarium alone ($7) and for the same $10 you can get Machinarium and Samorost 2. You might just wait until this sale hits the 3rd though because it may go up on Steam for $5.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Wallach said:
Just an FYI for you guys trying to D/L stuff today, I recommend using the Canada - Toronto hub as your download setting. A lot of the US hubs are just slammed, but I'm still getting a bit over 2MB/s from Toronto.
fuuuuuuuu that didn't work either.

Looks like I won't be playing anything until the sale is over. :lol

Wallach

evlcookie said:
Wow. It's $17 on the AU store :lol . RE5 is only $27.

For $10 Red faction is pretty darn good.

Yeah, I've got about 5% left on that DL. Stuff like that is why I own a 360 wired controller for my PC now. :D

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Wallach said:
Yeah, I've got about 5% left on that DL. Stuff like that is why I own a 360 wired controller for my PC now. :D

I had no issues with keyboard and mouse on the port. It's what i will probably play it as, although i intend to pickup a 360 controller today for other games. Luckily the patch just came out that fixes the sound issues

At this price I'll likely grab BF2, hope some friends grab it as well and we can play online. I hear great things about its aged but still great MP.

Is RFG a sandbox game? Because if it is I'll steer clear. I don't like HOMM gameplay either so KBAP is off my radar..

Well, there's still tomorrow.

RedSwirl

Pulled the trigger:

35iaixs.jpg

$31

legend166

So, am I looking at getting decent performance for Red Faction on this rig:

E6750
8800GT
2GB RAM

I'm very close to pulling the trigger.

hamchan

New rule for me. I'm not going to buy anything until January 3rd unless it's a daily deal or $5 or less. I just have this really ominous feeling that the Civ4 complete I bought might be a daily deal.

Mrbob

Red Faction, Armored Princess, and Cogs for me. Good day. :D

Also picked up Outrun 2006, Alien Shooter Pack, and Sniper Elite with it.

legend166 said:
So, am I looking at getting decent performance for Red Faction on this rig:

E6750
8800GT
2GB RAM

I'm very close to pulling the trigger.

It was pretty smooth for me except when there was tons of debris everywhere, but I have a weaker processor.

Oli

Wallach said:
You should really get Machinarium from their website or from Stardock; it's cheaper on Stardock for Machinarium alone ($7) and for the same $10 you can get Machinarium and Samorost 2. You might just wait until this sale hits the 3rd though because it may go up on Steam for $5.

I'll wait out the sale I guess. If I wait until the third can I still get it for $10 on Steam?

fresquito

Steam is love.

So today I did some maths. Searched for the price I've paid for every game I own through Steam. Then I've divided between actual games just to find I've paid 4,7€ on average.

108,1€, 23 games. Only games I've paid full price are Orange Box (which comes with five titles) and Guild Wars.

Steam is love.

Wallach

Oli said:
I'll wait out the sale I guess. If I wait until the third can I still get it for $10 on Steam?

Yeah, Machinarium will be at that price for the whole sale period, but may go up as a daily deal to an even further discount.

DJ_Lae

Oh man, Cogs is a blast. Some of the puzzles hurt my brain a bit (especially the two-sided ones) but it's a lot of fun. Well worth two bucks.

Gabyskra

Banned
So... Eidos pack. I'm really on the fence. Such a great price, and some gems I really want to play (Batman AA, Tomb Raider, plenty of stuff after that really). What do you guys think, will the price go down in one of those daily deals? It seems like it can't get much lower...

Wallach

Gabyskra said:
So... Eidos pack. I'm really on the fence. Such a great price, and some gems I really want to play (Batman AA, Tomb Raider, plenty of stuff after that really). What do you guys think, will the price go down in one of those daily deals? It seems like it can't get much lower...

What's the harm in waiting? Just remember to grab it on the last day (Jan. 3rd) rather than kick yourself should you see it in one of the daily deals.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
For those with xbox 360 controllers, did you just buy the official 360 one or is there another official one designed for the pc?

I'm at the shops at the moment. I thought there was official pc ones but I can't seem to find them.

JdFoX187

Banned
Wired Xbox 360 controllers work. I bummed a Madcatz one off a buddy and it works as well, but it not as good as the official controllers.

Ended up picking up Red Faction just now. I have it on my 360, but something called me to buy it on the PC, especially at such a good deal. Damnit Steam.

evlcookie said:
For those with xbox 360 controllers, did you just buy the official 360 one or is there another official one designed for the pc?

I'm at the shops at the moment. I thought there was official pc ones but I can't seem to find them.

The official PC ones come with the wireless receiver. The controller itself is identical to the 360 version.

zbarron

Gabyskra said:
Don't forget Mini Ninjas. I hope everyone who gets the Eidos pack gives it a shot. It's a pretty basic game that isn't too complex but is beatiful, charming and really fun. If you have younger siblings or children it's a great game to let them play.

fresquito

evlcookie said:

Xbox360 controller is the official PC controller. However, you need it to be wired (or buy the dongle for the wireless one). I went with the wired one, as it's cheaper and you don't need any add-on.

Miau

Neo Member
If anyone could give me an opinion. The X2: The Threat/X3: Reunion package is on sale for 5,49€. I'm a big fan of space games (Freelancer is still my favorite) and I'm looking for something to fill that void. Does anyone think those are enjoyable experiences? I read some reviews and almost all of them say that the series have a steep learning curve. Are they too difficult? I would really appreciate it if someone could give me an advice. Thanks.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Is the PC version of Red Faction good? I'm just asking in case its really not up to par with the console versions (Borderlands says hi)

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
zoku88 said:
There's a Trine demo.

Pretty sure L4D would not be fun by yourself. Why can't you play with others?

Don't know any PC players who have the game. I've only recently got back into playing games on the PC.

Twig

Banned
Dude. This is a forum. Use it for communication, as intended. Make friends.
Bluemercury said:
Just bought the space quest collection but wtf, where's spq 1 ega version? and why doesnt the games run in windows 7 64bit?
Because it's a shit collection. They didn't work hard on it at all.

Or so I hear. I'm not touching it with my 499 pennies, that's for damn sure. Even though I desperately love Space Quest. ):

Miau said:
If anyone could give me an opinion. The X2: The Threat/X3: Reunion package is on sale for 5,49€. I'm a big fan of space games (Freelancer is still my favorite) and I'm looking for something to fill that void. Does anyone think those are enjoyable experiences? I read some reviews and almost all of them say that the series have a steep learning curve. Are they too difficult? I would really appreciate it if someone could give me an advice. Thanks.

I love the X series, but it does have a really steep learning curve. The game is also not as much focused on combat or story as it might look-at the heart of the X games is an empire management simulation and interstellar commerce builder with an often trying interface, especially in the older games like X2 or Reunion. Be ready to mod too, as the series really shines with all of the user scripts.

I spent over 200 hours with X3: Terran Conflict - I made a thread here about it earlier this year. It's not just not a game for everyone, it's a game actually for very few people with narrow tastes, but god help you if you love space simulations and spreadsheet gaming the series is like a big chunk of rich, luxurious chocolate.

Parham

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
Is the PC version of Red Faction good? I'm just asking in case its really not up to par with the console versions (Borderlands says hi)

Based on the hour or so that I've played of the PC version, Red Faction appears to run extremely well.

Edit: For the record, I am not sure how well the KB/M controls work. I have been using the X360 controller the entire time.

Bluemercury said:
Just bought the space quest collection but wtf, where's spq 1 ega version? and why doesnt the games run in windows 7 64bit?
ScummVM is supposed to work with the first few Space Quest games (it's far more than a SCUMM emulator now). I thought about buying the collection and just running it through that instead of Dosbox.

RedSwirl

I'm about to go and pick up SWAT 4 which at Direct 2 Drive is either $7.50 alone or $10 with the expansion. Expansion worth it?

Caoz

Valtor said:
Sooooo... How do I use Steam when I'm in another country than what's on my credit card?

What I do is change the country on the checkout page to the one I am currently at. My billing address is in the US but I am buying games from Mexico now. Did this at the start of the sale and have been buying games each day without problems.

Top Bottom