• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Big-E

Steam really needs to go back to the old ways of buying things where you needed to put in your credit card information each time. Buying two games in a matter of seconds is just too easy and dangerous.

RedSwirl

Big-E said:
Steam really needs to go back to the old ways of buying things where you needed to put in your credit card information each time. Buying two games in a matter of seconds is just too easy and dangerous.

Uh, I just make sure to keep the "record my credit card information" tab unchecked each time I buy something.

Javaman

Big-E said:

I wish they would add folders for the games list, or let you sort them by game type. The list is getting a bit too long for convenience.

Sloegr

RedSwirl said:
Uh, I just make sure to keep the "record my credit card information" tab unchecked each time I buy something.

Same. The minor inconvenience of entering my CC info acts as a buffer against impulse purchases. How pathetic is that? :lol

Big-E

RedSwirl said:

I know but I was just commenting on how easy it can be for Steam to get you. Is anyone else having problems with their Armored Princess download? When that was the only thing downloading for me it was getting like 30 kb/s but now that I am downloading BF2 and Red Faction, it is still getting 30kb/s when the other two games are getting like 400 kb/s.

RedSwirl said:
ya i never understood how so many people managed to dump their information onto their accounts

then again i was sharing mine for a long time with other people and recently changed the password, so i couldn't really risk them going spend-crazy under my name

jersoc

I was happy when they let you finally save your CC info. It is more tempting to one click buy stuff, but whatever. Typing in all that info is damn annoying. Especially if you have a long last name like me.

Erudite

Wallach said:
Speaking of gifting, does anyone somehow not have Half-Life 2? I've had an extra copy for ages. If you do not own this game, please let me rectify this horrible crime against gaming!
If no one has claimed it yet, my friend just got a gaming PC for Christmas, and could use a game in his Steam account. Pretty sure he's never played HL2.

iammeiam

Is there any reason not to hope Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines will pop up as a daily deal? I've finally got a decent couch-gaming-PC setup and the game looks good; I know Direct2Drive has it for like $10, but I seem to remember it being $5 somewhere a few months back, and I'd really like to be able to grab it through Steam because I'm lazy.

Not that it's much of a rush; finally got The Witcher working properly (weird artifacting on an HD5770; fixed with a driver update) so I'll have that to entertain me for the next while.

Wallach

Traced-Velocity said:
If no one has claimed it yet, my friend just got a gaming PC for Christmas, and could use a game in his Steam account. Pretty sure he's never played HL2.

Certainly! That sounds like a perfect Christmas gift. Just PM me his details so I can get it sent to him.

graywolf323

jersoc said:
I was happy when they let you finally save your CC info. It is more tempting to one click buy stuff, but whatever. Typing in all that info is damn annoying. Especially if you have a long last name like me.

I still wish they could remember my damn age already

Traced-Velocity said:

he can have my extra copy of HL2: Episode 1 as well

hamchan

Steam purchases round 2:

King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Rome Total War Gold
Indigo Prophecy
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
Time Gentlemen Please!
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky
Multiwinia + Darwinia
Beyond Good and Evil

Total $38.32

I'm sure I'll buy more daily deals later but I think I'll cool off a bit on purchases. I think I've already fucked myself for Q1 2010 because now I definitely can't buy everything I want next year with the amount I've spent on steam now.

Will Red Faction will run on a 1GB 9600m GS with core2 at 2.13 Ghz and 4MB ram?

All I care about is that it'll be equal to the 360 version, maybe with less screen tearing if possible.. any opinions? It seems like it'd run it better than minimum but not quite recommended.

Ripclawe

Banned
Just spent 6 hours playing KOTOR, I would put this game up against any rpg out now even with the dated graphics. This Steam deal may keep me inside the house and turn me into a hermit.

SonOfABeep said:
Will Red Faction will run on a 1GB 9600m GS with core2 at 2.13 Ghz and 4MB ram?

All I care about is that it'll be equal to the 360 version, maybe with less screen tearing if possible.. any opinions? It seems like it'd run it better than minimum but not quite recommended.

I don't understand how it boots at all with 4mb.

zero_suit

Ripclawe said:
Just spent 6 hours playing KOTOR, I would put this game up against any rpg out now even with the dated graphics. This Steam deal may keep me inside the house and turn me into a hermit.

Yeah, it's excellent.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I don't understand how it boots at all with 4mb.

lolz goes to show how technically inept I am.. GB ram of course..

I think it'll be fine, I just want it as a replacement for my 360 copy which I no longer have..

RedSwirl

Damn. The Witcher demo is actually really good. I'm going to wait right up until the last day of the sale though, since we don't know that it won't go lower.

My only issue is that pretty much every, single, female character model I've encountered so far (only maybe an hour in) has overflowing whore breasts.

Also, what's the difference with "Enhanced Edition Director's Cut" in North America?

Volcynika

RedSwirl said:
Damn. The Witcher demo is actually really good. I'm going to wait right up until the last day of the sale though, since we don't know that it won't go lower.

My only issue is that pretty much every, single, female character model I've encountered so far (only maybe an hour in) has overflowing whore breasts.

Also, what's the difference with "Enhanced Edition Director's Cut" in North America?

Graphics enhanced a bit, improved script, loading times shortened, new content, etc. And boobs.

Twig

Banned
Wait, you mean when I move to Washington I'm going to have to start paying TAXES on Steam?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
RedSwirl said:
Straight from the source material, baby.

(Actually, I have no clue, as I have yet to read the source material, but I've heard Gerald is quite the ladies' man in the short stories/books.)

Sloegr

TheOneGuy said:
Wait, you mean when I move to Washington I'm going to have to start paying TAXES on Steam?

Yep, Steam and Amazon both (as speculawyer said above). It's no fun.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Doomslayer said:
What are the chances of the THQ pack going down to $50 again during this sale.

Don't see it happening, but everyone needs to jump on it if they do. It was the best deal on the site, personally. I'm having fun with Titan Quest and RF Guerrilla, and I haven't even touched Company of Heroes or Warhammer, yet. Such a good deal...

Caoz

Wallach said:
Speaking of gifting, does anyone somehow not have Half-Life 2? I've had an extra copy for ages. If you do not own this game, please let me rectify this horrible crime against gaming!

I am actually waiting for a nice sale on the orange box. I have high hopes. $10 bucks would be a good price for me. Just started gaming on PC so any previous sale went unnoticed. Left 4 dead looks great on my PC so Im thinking HL2 will look and play great too.

Slavik81

speculawyer said:
Well Steam taxes your state too then. (I think . . . both Valve & Amazon in Washington.) Double lose!:lol
They almost certainly tax it regardless of what state you live in. The fact that they don't have a physical presence means that they don't have to collect the sales tax, but most states still have a use tax that covers it (that you as an individual are supposed to pay).

Basically, the American tax code is completely nonsensical and desperately needs reform.

TheOneGuy said:

Straight from the source material, baby.

(Actually, I have no clue, as I have yet to read the source material, but I've heard Gerald is quite the ladies' man in the short stories/books.)
No. If you use PayPal just make up a secondary address in a non taxable state and use it to buy games. That's what I do & I live in Wa.

Slavik81

LovingSteam said:
No. If you use PayPal just make up a secondary address in a non taxable state and use it to buy games. That's what I do & I live in Wa.
You think the hassle and the legal implications are worth the couple percent worth of savings? Really?

...really?

SonOfABeep said:
lolz goes to show how technically inept I am.. GB ram of course..

I think it'll be fine, I just want it as a replacement for my 360 copy which I no longer have..

Red Faction Guerrilla and Saint's Row 2 have this really nasty bug in them on some (not all) W7 and Vista machines that clocks them at 150% of the speed (with no framerate improvements!). Really not a pleasant surprise when I upgraded from XPx64 to W7 Professional x64. You can download a cheat program to turn the speed down to normal levels, but it's a really irritating issue.

IceMarker

GTA IV is sooooo gooood

And like brain_stew said earlier, that game is only running at high graphics, even the game complains if you go too far, all my sliders are set to half or below, runs at 50-60 fps and looks great though.

YagizY

Are the Jedi Knight games worth getting if you don't plan on playing multiplayer? I was thinking about about getting Jedi Outcast but I've never played any of these games.

The daily deals today finally got me to start my first shopping run of the sale. I ended up buying the following for now:

Cogs
Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood
Indigo Prophecy
Time Gentlemen, Please! and Ben There, Dan That! Double Pack
Lucasarts Adventure Pack
Red Faction: Guerrilla

Total: $21.74

I'll pick up Trine and Machinarium by the end of the sale but I just want to make sure I don't miss out on any daily deals for them. I'm still deciding on a couple of other cheap games that I probably won't play for years as well. Damn you, Steam.

kuYuri

King's Bounty: Armored Princess demo really isn't doing a good job of selling me the full game.

At least give me a tutorial for the combat. =/

If anyone is giving more HL2 gifts away I'd really appreciate one. Just bought my first steam game last week (TF2) and would love to try it out.

I got a TF2 three day trial if anyone wants that.

YagizY said:
Are the Jedi Knight games worth getting if you don't plan on playing multiplayer? I was thinking about about getting Jedi Outcast but I've never played any of these games.
The first JK was one of my favorite FPSs in the day, but it might not hold up well today. It's got fantastic level design and gameplay, but the graphics are fugly now and I read the Steam version doesn't have any music because the original game used Redbook CD audio (they were excerpts from the film scores).

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Strider2K99 said:
King's Bounty: Armored Princess demo really isn't doing a good job of selling me the full game.

At least give me a tutorial for the combat. =/

Play the demo of the original King's Bounty for that. The AP demo is intended for people who played the first game.

Top Bottom