• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Loxley

I just nabbed Braid, Company of Heroes Gold Edition, Red Orchestra, Rome Total War, PoP: The Two Thrones, Republic Commando and Trine for just over $40...god dammit Valve ><

I'm slightly saddened that there is no sale on Sacred 2, but in the grand scheme of things it's a small price to pay for all the other unbelievably good deals thus far :D

52club

For those of you who are asking if torchlight is worth $5, I would compare it to if it is worth bending over to pick up a $10 bill off the ground. Some people wouldn't do it because of the exertion of energy and the chance of back injury. However, any sane person picks up the $10 bill and should immediately purchase two copies of Torchlight, one for himself/herself and one for a loved one.

Picked up Lumines, already bought Torchlight the second it dropped to $10. I do not regret giving up an extra $5 to have already gotten most of the way through it.

I really hope MW2 comes up soon. I passed on the Amazon deal because Steam rarely fails to deliver the goods.

Thomper

Anyone from the US willing to gift-send me the Prince of Persia pack? Not available in the EU, and it's a bargain I'd quite like to have. Never got around to playing them, and this seems like a nice moment to jump in. I'd Paypal you the money, of course.

cory

Banned
Torchlight is such a good game that I don't even care that I paid $5 more for it.
The Star Wars pack is tempting, but the only thing I don't have and want is Battlefront II.
I liked the demo I played for Universe at War, but I still have all the Dawn of War games from the THQ pack relatively untouched.

kswiston

cms382 said:
Torchlight is such a good game that I don't even care that I paid $5 more for it.
The Star Wars pack is tempting, but the only thing I don't have and want is Battlefront II.
I liked the demo I played for Universe at War, but I still have all the Dawn of War games from the THQ pack relatively untouched.

Battlefront II is 50% off ($9.99). Why don't you just buy it on its own?

Firestorm

The demo of Torchlight unlocks into the full game when you buy. The demo downloads the full game. You can continue from the demo into the full game.. Stop asking if you should buy it and download the demo. Play until you get a feel for it, upgrade to full version and keep playing.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Damn. so now I'm going to end up buying Torchlight.

Licenses and subscriptions:

Torchlight

Serious Sam HD (US)

Mirror's Edge

THQ Complete Pack

That's right Steam. Keep taking my monies.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Sinatar said:
It's quite good.
Maybe you could tell me what's good about it, but when I started it, the bad graphics, the awful story and the non-existent strategy in the first missions put me off so bad. I never touched it again.

Wasn't even worth the 2,50€ I paid for it.

Maybe someone care to enlighten me.

Roquentin

I bought Torchlight a few days ago for 8€, and while it's awesome and definitely worth the price, I cannot stop thinking that if I had waited I would have had money left to buy Outrun 2006 :(

Oh, well. Perhaps I will try to get more entertainment out of Torchlight by installing some mods and playing with the editor.

Chris R

Gonna grab Torchlight (times 3 prob). DAO is a great game. Shame I already bought it. Payed less than steams price so I don't feel toooo bad.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
rhfb said:
Gonna grab Torchlight (times 3 prob). DAO is a great game. Shame I already bought it. Payed less than steams price so I don't feel toooo bad.

Why would you feel bad at all if you got it a while ago for less that what its posted for on Steam?

Firestorm

I think I might Goozex my sealed Dragon Age and grab it from Steam now...
Unless someone wants to pay me $40 shipped for the retail version!

Any opinions on which of the shooter games is the best? I really don't need five or six of them.

I hope Fallout GOTY is tomorrow, just so I can feel ultra conflicted deciding between that and the XBL sale.

Firestorm said:
The demo of Torchlight unlocks into the full game when you buy. The demo downloads the full game. You can continue from the demo into the full game.. Stop asking if you should buy it and download the demo. Play until you get a feel for it, upgrade to full version and keep playing.
I like how you do not include a 'think about purchasing the full version after the demo' step. This is as it should be.

I'm ok with paying $20 for Torchlight.

Chris R

mr jones said:
Why would you feel bad at all if you got it a while ago for less that what its posted for on Steam?
Because I had to burn it to two DVDs instead of being able to dl it whenever and wherever.

Caoz

Chiaroscuro said:
Anyone in North America can help me to get GTA4? Paypal + all your taxes. Thanks!

I haven't seen GTA 4 on the site for the last couple of days. Can't find it. Is it still for sale ?

At this rate, most deals will get discounted even lower before Jan 3 with each Day deal.

Almost guaranteed you'll see stuff like The Wicther, Fallout 3 or Borderlands be cheaper.

snoopeasystreet said:
Bought torchlight the other day for 8 euro and enjoyed it so much that I also bought it directly off Runic for 20 to help support them.
you could have bought 4 copies for gaffers at the same price jerkoff

Volcynika

Caoz said:
I haven't seen GTA 4 on the site for the last couple of days. Can't find it. Is it still for sale ?

That sale was only on for the first set of timed deals. It isn't even discounted at all now.

careksims

I paid Torchlight when it as at $10. They deserve more money though. It's such an awesome game. I DO want that Premier Star Wars pack though! WOW! Just gonna wait for the single day sales. Those are crazy!

I had no intention of buying Torchlight despite knowing it's a fun game. I usually only like those kinds of games when I play with friends. However, I couldn't refuse it for $5. Curse you, Steam.

Are the other games in the star wars pack any good? I have Kotor and all I've played is battlefront II and jedi academy. Are the others worth getting too or do they suck?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Lumines was tempting. I was like hey game needs widescreen which my pc monitor is in and then I can get crisp cool looking backgrounds besides.

I made sure to google some reviews first though. Thank god I did. Found the IGN review which states...

"Lumines has a considerable amount of sparkle and sheen for a puzzle game, but the resolution is low for a PC title. The max settings can only be upped to 960x540 at which point the squares look fine but the backgrounds are often noticeably overblown and pixilated. Luckily the music still pulsates with gusto. "

Seriously 960x540? Fuck that! I'll pass thank you very much.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
:lol @ the torchlight price, why must you do this to me steam. WHY.:(
Oh well, i've already got my $10 worth of the game anyway.:D

Minsc

Gold Member
Brettison said:
So Lumines was tempting. I was like hey game needs widescreen which my pc monitor is in and then I can get crisp cool looking backgrounds besides.

I made sure to google some reviews first though. Thank god I did. Found the IGN review which states...

"Lumines has a considerable amount of sparkle and sheen for a puzzle game, but the resolution is low for a PC title. The max settings can only be upped to 960x540 at which point the squares look fine but the backgrounds are often noticeably overblown and pixilated. Luckily the music still pulsates with gusto. "

Seriously 960x540? Fuck that! I'll pass thank you very much.

It runs well in a window that way though. Puzzle games like Plants vs Zombies, Puzzle Quest, etc are pretty enjoyable windowed, then you can still do other things while you play, though Lumines you'd definitely need to pause.

Des0lar said:
Maybe you could tell me what's good about it, but when I started it, the bad graphics, the awful story and the non-existent strategy in the first missions put me off so bad. I never touched it again.

Wasn't even worth the 2,50€ I paid for it.

Maybe someone care to enlighten me.

I'd be interested to hear from the strategy guys as well.

I bought it at the $4.99 sale a year ago and couldn't get past the first few levels. I thought it was complete shit.

Top Bottom