• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Alucrid

Banned
Maaaaan. GFWL is a pain, it keeps not downloading my profile completely and gets stuck at like 99% for the update for RF:G.

Dambrosi

Banned
Guys, I've got a problem.

Bought BF2 yesterday off Steam, installed it (and Gamespy Comrade, whatever that is). Now, when I try to launch it from the My Games page, my PC blue-screens and restarts! Why would BF2 be causing a driver error? Please help me!

I've uninstalled both BF2 and Gamespy Comrade for now, just to be sure.

Alucrid said:
Maaaaan. GFWL is a pain, it keeps not downloading my profile completely and gets stuck at like 99% for the update for RF:G.
Yeah same here. My guess is their neglected servers are just being hammered.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
LULZ! Torchlight 10 bux!

I feel bad for you all who bought it at 10! Honestly, though, I wish there would be some announcement or something. I wouldn't mind waiting a day if I knew the game I wanted was going to be on sale the next day.

Anyways, it's worth the full price I paid for it way back then.

Spwn

So far I've bought Serious Sam HD, Lucasarts Adventure pack and Lumines. And I'm not able to play the games before January 10th or so because I'm visiting my relatives and in-laws right now. :(

Visualante said:
Yeah same here. My guess is their neglected servers are just being hammered.

Did you guys update to the newest gfwl client? Mine used to fuck up initially back when shadowrun came out because it wouldn't automatically update correctly.

About torchlight, is there a way to buy potions and identifying scrolls in more than quantities of 1? Having to click back and forth between screens is a huge pain in the ass. Shift seems to only work like that with your own items. :/ Any help would be appreciated.

Parham

Banned
Dambrosi said:
Guys, I've got a problem.

Bought BF2 yesterday off Steam, installed it (and Gamespy Comrade, whatever that is). Now, when I try to launch it from the My Games page, my PC blue-screens and restarts! Why would BF2 be causing a driver error? Please help me!

I've uninstalled both BF2 and Gamespy Comrade for now, just to be sure.
What are your computer specs?

Volcynika

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Did you guys update to the newest gfwl client? Mine used to fuck up initially back when shadowrun came out because it wouldn't automatically update correctly.

About torchlight, is there a way to buy potions and identifying scrolls in more than quantities of 1? Having to click back and forth between screens is a huge pain in the ass. Shift seems to only work like that with your own items. :/ Any help would be appreciated.

I use shift to buy multiple items and it works fine for me.

LULZ! Torchlight 10 bux!

I feel bad for you all who bought it at 10! Honestly, though, I wish there would be some announcement or something. I wouldn't mind waiting a day if I knew the game I wanted was going to be on sale the next day.

Anyways, it's worth the full price I paid for it way back then.

They've hardly ever announced any sales (usually a developer might reveal it, but it's not often), and that's part of the game. It's a surprise!

syllogism

5 bucks difference, can we stop that nonsense; it's as if you are all ten year olds spending all their allowance on the game or something

Volcynika said:
I use shift to buy multiple items and it works fine for me.

They've hardly ever announced any sales (usually a developer might reveal it, but it's not often), and that's part of the game. It's a surprise!

Huh, I tried and it kept making the sound like your pressing the wrong key... Guess I'll try again later.

Xavien

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Shift +left click on the items i want to buy seems to work fine for me...?

Jake

Just a heads up that everything in the Telltale Games Store is 25% off in a post-holiday sale.

For the games, that deal probably doesn't compete with the Everything Pack holiday sale price on Steam, but it's a good deal if you want to get any of the "only when buying direct from us" stuff like the free DVD versions that come with series downloads, or hard goods like the Sam & Max soundtracks.

Doytch

Jake said:
Just a heads up that everything in the Telltale Games Store is 25% off in a post-holiday sale.

For the games, that deal probably doesn't compete with the Everything Pack holiday sale price on Steam, but it's a good deal if you want to get any of the "only when buying direct from us" stuff like the free DVD versions that come with series downloads, or hard goods like the Sam & Max soundtracks.
Hey you, what's the rub on the MI DVD/pre-order poster? I want to save on shipping and get that stuff along with my W&G disc. :D

^^ :lol

Jake

epmode said:
Is the Monkey Island DVD ready for shipping yet? I still need to pay for shipping on the two Sam & Max season DVDs but I'd like to do all three at once.

Nope we haven't made it yet. We've been working on consolidating the engine versions all the episodes use -- bumping them up to the latest internal version, and fixing bugs. Work will start in earnest on the disc in January.

Thomper

epmode said:
Is the Monkey Island DVD ready for shipping yet? I still need to pay for shipping on the two Sam & Max season DVDs but I'd like to do all three at once.
You can order the DVD already, but it won't ship until January. You can throw 'm all in one order now, though.

Edit: Wait, sorry, my fault. I got the Wallace & Gromit and Monkey Island DVD's confused. Apologies! Wallace & Gromit is shipping January, though. ;)

Sloegr

RS4- said:
Need Battlefield to somehow drop in price again.

I'd buy Lumines but I already have it on 3 systems :lol

Man, I just got gifted Battlefield and am wishing there was a way to decline it. I'd pass it down your way, except I'd feel like a total bastard for doing so.

Javaman

Visualante said:
Can't save in Red Faction because I don't have a ridiculous GFW update.

THQ you suck for using this malware.

Least you can play it. I can't even get into the main menu without constant pauses and lockups.

Alucrid

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

I believe so. I exited out of RF:G and ran the GFWL program, got the update and it works fine. I was able to DL the patch, but then it was swiftly ended due to some error.

Proc

Red Faction guerrilla has been amazing so far. 1080p cranked with my 360 controller in my bed is a great time.

It seems like a great game to jump in and out of since the missions aren't very long. I'm glad I got in on the $10 deal for sure.

gketter said:
Damn and here i thought torchlight at $20 was worth it. I've learned my lessen. I'll never buy a fall PC game again

You have to wonder if these sales will eventually come back and bite them in the ass due to this. How many times can you pull this stunt before a large portion of the audience simply waits for the inevitable sales before buying anything on the service.

Baha said:
Does Lumines on Steam include the licensed music from the PSP versions or is it a PC port of the xbla/psn versions?

I'm pretty sure it's a port of the XBLA/PSN versions with none of the licensed music, except those versions run in higher resolution and 5.1 surround. So overall it's not a great port, but it's still a good game and well worth the $, IMO. I picked it up even though I have the 360 and PSP versions just because I love Lumines and wanted to be able to play it at work.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Zoidberg said:
You have to wonder if these sales will eventually come back and bite them in the ass due to this. How many times can you pull this stunt before a large portion of the audience simply waits for the inevitable sales before buying anything on the service.

Torchlight was FULLY worth the 20. In fact, I wish they'd kept it there because this sale is really going to make me wait. With stores, a lot of times only select stuff is on sale, but I guess one of the advantages of DD is that there is no stock and they can discount whatever they want.

I'm still pissed I got Dragon Age full price! All I got was stupid pre-order crap (a ring? or armor or some shit). For 20 dollars less, you can keep your fucking armour.

Mrbob

I used that method to patch RFG as well. For some reason the appdata folder wasn't showing up in Win 7 for me, so i cut and paste that code changing the directories to where they should be on my hdd and the update worked.

Dr. Zoidberg said:

It will make some more people wait, but that will be the effect of it. There are certain prices people are willing to pay for games. Some people will buy a game at full price. Then you need to bring it down to get to the next level of consumers.

Volcynika

Dr. Zoidberg said:

That's the thing though. They've actually spoken about these sales and how the games sell tons more on these things. Hell, we've got people in this thread buying games they'll probably never get around to playing. Sales bring attention to games, gets people talking about them, and such.

If people want a game day one, they'll bite on it day one. Those will never change. If they want to wait, then they do that.

kennah

Dr. Zoidberg said:
You have to wonder if these sales will eventually come back and bite them in the ass due to this. How many times can you pull this stunt before a large portion of the audience simply waits for the inevitable sales before buying anything on the service
That's me :) I've only ever bought one thing off of Steam for full price and it was Fallout 3. But to be fair I do the same thing in real life too, rarely buy anything unless it's on sale.

That said, I've already spent almost 40$ this sale and fully intend to spend more.

Oh, and really, people waiting is better than people pirating.

Slavik81

Dr. Zoidberg said:
I was certain that this would happen and I bought it at full price anyways. I wanted to play it a month ago, and was willing to pay to do so.

What this sale DID make me do was buy two extra copies for some friends of mine.

Has anyone created a "Using a PC as a console" thread?

I finally got around to hooking my notebook's HDMI port to the big HDTV, hooking up the wireless 360 controller dongle, and playing around with lots of settings.

The results have been glorious. You definitely have to play around with various settings though.

So far I've tested Tomb Raider Underworld and Ghostbusters and they both work great.

With Steam games available for low prices, it is really nice to use a PC as a console.

For the less than the price of the 360 version of Batman Arkum Asylum . . . you can get Batman and the rest of the Eidos catalog. Nice. (I still gotta try Batman though but I'm guessing it will work well.)

Wallach

I'm almost tempted to double-dip on DA:O just to get the deluxe edition with the CE stuff...

If anyone wants to, say, sell me only the CE codes (helm/staff/tome) to get a copy of DA:O cheaper than the regular edition shoot me a PM! :D

Won

*Sees Torchlight deal*

*Shakes fist at Steam*

Hmm Lumines.....it is the same version that is on live arcade right? I remeber that not being as good as the PSP versions.

And do I really need another version of Lumines?

I sure do!

Jake

Dr. Zoidberg said:

I imagine that the number of people who do t know or care about the sales will remain high. steam must be doing enough volume at this point that having a sale works like a real store. People don't stop shopping at Target because they one time marked down tableware. Some people militantly look out for such sales, some people casually know about them and take advantage when they show up, and some people are probably totally oblivious to them going on. I'm buying more games than I would if there wasn't a sale going on, but while I buy fewer titles during the rest of the year, I don't have qualms about buying a new game at full price when it's something I want.

I think the sales are great and I've seen the data where they sell a ton more, etc. That's not really what I mean. If you take Torchlight as an example: they are running the risk of driving down the acceptable price for cheap people. Before today, a cheap person (like me, though I bought TL at full price and have no regrets) would have thought $10 was a great deal and would have jumped on it. Now, they are getting to the point where a cheap person will say "$10...way too expensive. It will be $5 soon, I'll just wait." So ultimately the "bargain" price becomes $5 instead of 10, and things that were once fairly priced start to look expensive. If the pricing is done carefully, this is not a problem for many, but in the case of some of these holiday specials, it really gets to the point where people say "Fool me once..."

speculawyer said:
I finally got around to hooking my notebook's HDMI port to the big HDTV, hooking up the wireless 360 controller dongle, and playing around with lots of settings.

The results have been glorious.

I got a new laptop for Christmas and have been doing the same thing. It's great.

Indigo Prophecy is around 3,50 euros here, I think I'm picking that up.

Already got Serious Sam HD, GTA IV and Outrun 2006 this sale. Skipping today's sales though..

Top Bottom