• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I ended up getting the BF2 pack a few hours ago and it's still at 23%, crawling at 130kb/s . Is it like this for everyone?

gregor7777 said:
I'd be interested to hear from the strategy guys as well.

I bought it at the $4.99 sale a year ago and couldn't get past the first few levels. I thought it was complete shit.

Pretty much what it is, if you have other games to play. If you're bored and need a cheap rts I would actually recommend Universe at War for 5$. But I play most mediocre rts games sooner or later.

Should have been 2,5$ or so though, a bit old and hit the bargain bins really fast.

atomsk

Party Pooper
nabbed torchlight + lumines

so far i've spent 16 bucks in the sale for 7 games

and most likely i'll pick up the Telltale and Valve pack on the very last day

Must admit that they just now decide to drop torchlight to $5 within days of having multiple sales where it was $10, but I am enjoying the game a lot so I guess I can't be too mad.

I never really played Diablo and I'm kinda surprised how caught up I've gotten in my loot hunting. Example: I almost through my laptop at the wall when I accidentally shift-clicked sold a unique item that I couldn't buy back because it was like 15K gold and I had only gotten paid ~500 for it...

Caoz

Brashnir said:
I picked it up over the Black Friday weekend sale, and agree. it's an excellent game. Very simple in its concept, but executed well.

Speaking of Osmos, I tried to run it yesteday on my laptop but got a bunch of squares where I should have the "bubbles". Game is unplayable. Anyone had this problem before ?

I have an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 on my laptop.

I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that I will be buying a game a day :/. Luckily I am only down 10 bucks haha. Jedi Outcast and Torchlight down so far.

G-Fex

Bought DA: Origins.

GOD I hope I don't do as badly as I did in KOTOR. I am beginning to think I suck at these games. Like almost as much as I do at Tekken games.

Brashnir

G-Fex said:

GOD I hope I don't do as badly as I did in KOTOR. I am beginning to think I suck at these games. Like almost as much as I do at Tekken games.

Well, it's an entirely different set of game skills required than Tekken. Just remember to poause - set commands - watch. Doing everything in realtime makes it much, much harder.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
EviLore said:
Apparently Lumines won't output any sound if you're in 5.1 mode in windows. :|

Yeah, weird bug. If I plug in my headphone mic and then unplug it after the game is launched, I get sound. :lol Not surround sound though.

Irulan

Neo Member
G-Fex said:

I suck at them as well, but I always struggle through and enjoy the bioware games.

Parham

Banned
Macmanus said:
Anyone know if Universe At War has any sort of co-op campaign?

No, it does not.

sonicspear64 said:
Yeah I know that. It's just kinda weird to list Shadow Complex on a list of Steam bought games. Makes it seem like Shadow Complex got a PC release or something.

Oh, okay.

Bought Torchlight, Shooter Pack, and Audiosurf. First time purchasing through Steam. I had issues with Steam DD before, but sheeit this sale is too insane to resist. Hope Plants Vs Zombies gets hit with the sale stick before the end too.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Managed to buy the Star Wars-pack without KotOR but paying for it... not that it matters much. I have it in a box behind me but it would be nice to get what you pay for and to have a CD-less version of KotOR.

Regardless, Star Wars: Dark Forces is pure gold. Replayed the first two stages just now. I'm in awe of how good it still is. Manages to capture the old Star Wars-feel that makes the first couple of movies so good.

And on the subject of Lumines. Until last night I had no idea they converted it to PC. So I was joyfully in bliss when I started to download the demo.

After having mastered this on the PSP getting both 999'999 on the original a couple of times and played through the second one ad absurdum when I've been on the road, I didn't come to grips with the awful controls. The mouse controls are bad so I turned to the keyboard, which just felt worse. And I managed to screw up my entire strat when I accidentally nudged my mouse. I'm not getting this. Also, the resolution is crap and none of the magic of the PSP version is there.

Magni

Torchlight today for me. I'm off to internetless land tomorrow =( I can buy from a cyber or something and DL it to my PC when I come back, right?

Dambrosi

Banned
EviLore said:
That's weird, because it works fine for me in 5.1 surround sound mode. Since I assume other people are getting this bug as well, may I ask what kind of soundcard they're using? Mine's an internal 5.1 card on an Asus mobo, running VIA HD Audio Deck.

MagniHarvald said:
Torchlight today for me. I'm off to internetless land tomorrow =( I can buy from a cyber or something and DL it to my PC when I come back, right?
No need - just buy it on Steam tonight, and it'll go in your "Not Installed" list in your "My Games" list. Download it from there when you come back to civilization :D Or just do it immediately, it's only about 800-odd megs :D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Torchlight was a kick in the nuts, Weekend deal, then 9.99 for Holiday, now Daily. I'll make sure not to buy from them again till it's 75% off :lol

Star Wars Perm pack isn't bad, but I got everything I wanted from it already for half the cost.

Also, 25% off shouldn't even count as a Daily Deal for this.

G-Fex

Brashnir said:
Well, it's an entirely different set of game skills required than Tekken. Just remember to poause - set commands - watch. Doing everything in realtime makes it much, much harder.

Yeah I think I wasn't doing that enough and yeah...I probably screwed up a lot.

Iadien

Dambrosi said:
That's weird, because it works fine for me in 5.1 surround sound mode. Since I assume other people are getting this bug as well, may I ask what kind of soundcard they're using? Mine's an internal 5.1 card on an Asus mobo, running VIA HD Audio Deck.

I'm using a Sound Blaster X-Fi.

Iadien

Just searched and found several posts about the issue with sound blaster cards. Year old problem.

graywolf323

I bought Lumines since it was only $3

Prototype is tempting but I can't help but feel that it will go lower than $20 on sale in the next few months

already own Dragon Age, Universe at War, and Torchlight (plus all but one of the games in the LucasArts pack) :D

Minsc

Gold Member
Lyphen said:
Creative drivers are far, far from perfect. Or decent.

I think a lot of people just hate on them because there was a time when they got pretty awful. I thought things have gotten better for their drivers? I also have X-Fi integrated in to my Asus RoG motherboard, and I don't have any problems to complain about.

Sanjay

Dambrosi said:
Um, dude...you sure this is legit?

Yes, its off wildgames.com. You still have to buy the game if you want to play it as much as you want but you get these type of free coins and it lets you play the game like round 5 times as your given 5 coins.

benjipwns

Banned
The last two weeks must be some kind of sinister plot to get everyone on Steam to own Torchlight.
Firestorm said:
The demo of Torchlight unlocks into the full game when you buy. The demo downloads the full game. You can continue from the demo into the full game.. Stop asking if you should buy it and download the demo. Play until you get a feel for it, upgrade to full version and keep playing.
It didn't keep my achievements from the demo, kept progress, character level, etc. But if somebody is an achievement whore, that may irk them. (Although a bunch of them triggered again as soon as I went back into the mines, all the pet related ones didn't.)

Dambrosi

Banned
Sanjay said:
Yes, its off wildgames.com. You still have to buy the game if you want to play it as much as you want but you get these type of free coins and it lets you play the game like round 5 times as your given 5 coins.
Oh. I see. Like full game demos? Cool.

And there's some genuinely free games there too, like S.W.I.N.E. (which was released for free by its devs long ago). I assume you just download them and play them as much as you want?

Iadien

Lyphen said:
Creative drivers are far, far from perfect. Or decent.

According to a post on steam, the issue was fixed by someone who cracked the game, if that's true I don't think it's creative's drivers that are the problem. Also, it's happening to people with non creative cards as well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Minsc said:
It runs well in a window that way though. Puzzle games like Plants vs Zombies, Puzzle Quest, etc are pretty enjoyable windowed, then you can still do other things while you play, though Lumines you'd definitely need to pause.

Well damn I'd hope Lumines would run well on my PC in windowed mode. I guess I just felt since this game has crazy cool backgrounds this a game that would scale well with high res backgrounds behind the puzzles in full screen. Plus as you said windowed mode doesn't help me with this game cause you'd have to pause.

I installed the two hour limited demo for Torchlight a couple of weeks ago, but I'd somehow got it into my head that I wouldn't like the game. Seeing it for $5 today I thought I might as well give it a try. Long story short, I played the demo for two hours without even realising it, and I'm downloading the full game now :lol

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
OMG sick... just got my letter from comcast saying we got the speed boost update for my area. I went from 6 megs to 12 megs down.

Needless to say I'm getting 1.5 MB/s from the steam servers now! w00t!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

iirate

I've done some searching with no luck, but I was wondering if there is any way I can gift an individual game out of a pack? The Eidos pack is a fantastic deal, and I plan on picking it up before the sale ends, but I bought Arkham Asylum at launch, and wanted to gift my second copy to a friend.

Volcynika

iirate said:
I've done some searching with no luck, but I was wondering if there is any way I can gift an individual game out of a pack? The Eidos pack is a fantastic deal, and I plan on picking it up before the sale ends, but I bought Arkham Asylum at launch, and wanted to gift my second copy to a friend.

Can't. Gift copies are only for a very small list of games.

Top Bottom