• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
shintoki said:
Torchlight was a kick in the nuts, Weekend deal, then 9.99 for Holiday, now Daily. I'll make sure not to buy from them again till it's 75% off :lol

Star Wars Perm pack isn't bad, but I got everything I wanted from it already for half the cost.

Also, 25% off shouldn't even count as a Daily Deal for this.
The timing was odd but the price points were smart. Everyone has a threshold, and when the price falls below it you buy. A $5 difference isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. The important thing is that you feel you got your money's worth.

Hugbot

Haven't they straight up said that they also see a big spike in sales after the sale price is over? Like, people buying the full price game a few days after the sale? They've been doing these sales and such for over a year now, if people were only buying stuff when it was five bucks the data would be there to back it up.

Dambrosi

Banned
azentium said:
What are your computer specs?
Sorry I took so long, Demon's Souls owns mine. :lol

AMD Athlon X2 500+ clocked at 2.59Ghz
Windows XP Professional 2002 SP3
3GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon 4650 1GB (yes, I know, shut up, it's all I could afford :lol)

Any help?

Sloegr

Hugbot said:
Haven't they straight up said that they also see a big spike in sales after the sale price is over? Like, people buying the full price game a few days after the sale? They've been doing these sales and such for over a year now, if people were only buying stuff when it was five bucks the data would be there to back it up.

There's the social advertising that goes along with it as well. Game invites and your friend's list 'most played' are powerful tools.

Magni

Dambrosi said:
No need - just buy it on Steam tonight, and it'll go in your "Not Installed" list in your "My Games" list. Download it from there when you come back to civilization :D Or just do it immediately, it's only about 800-odd megs :D

Alright, but I was talking about the upcoming deals :D

Waku

Dr. Zoidberg said:
You have to wonder if these sales will eventually come back and bite them in the ass due to this. How many times can you pull this stunt before a large portion of the audience simply waits for the inevitable sales before buying anything on the service.

Actually, it's the Opposite.

"But in a connected market prices can be moved up and down without penalty. You can have sales that are dramatically low and bring the price back up and people don't care. They don't care at all. You can do them instantaneously and you can experiment with them," he said.

For Halloween Valve dropped the price of Team Fortress 2 via Steam for six hours from $19.99 to $2.50, without marketing or advertising. "Our revenue from that weekend jumped up dramatically," said Holtman.

"When we took the game up back to its full price after we gave away all that free content and gave away lots of copies – tens of thousands of copies – we actually increased the user base and more people came back the following weekend and bought it at full price than we were selling the week before," detailed Holtman.

The sales promotion was concocted by both business and game design departments, said Holtman. "There was a meta game of people buying and selling it," he said of consumers. "They thought they were exploiting us by buying a bunch of gifts – we love it when people buy a bunch of gifts. They were stockpiling the game."

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Jake said:
I imagine that the number of people who do t know or care about the sales will remain high. steam must be doing enough volume at this point that having a sale works like a real store. People don't stop shopping at Target because they one time marked down tableware. Some people militantly look out for such sales, some people casually know about them and take advantage when they show up, and some people are probably totally oblivious to them going on. I'm buying more games than I would if there wasn't a sale going on, but while I buy fewer titles during the rest of the year, I don't have qualms about buying a new game at full price when it's something I want.

Are you able to give any indication as to how you guys have performed during the sale so far? Is there a "Holy shit" or "So far it's been ok" going around the office regarding the steam only sales?

And you know what would be perfect right about now .. A Thumbs episode :D

I sort of hope dirt 2 goes on sale. I enjoyed the demo and if it drops far enough i may just end up purchasing it. 7 more days of sales to go!

Stalker is still $1.49 on the AU store if anyone missed it.

Xavien

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Just to make sure. We're talking about multiples of the same item and not multiple items that are different right?

Yes, i can hold down shift and every-time I left click, an identify scroll (or potions etc) moves from the vendor to my pack. I can do it till my pack is full.

Jube3

man I can not tell you how many copies of torchlight I would have bought today if they would have announced a MP expansion. I picked up two for friends though but I think the game is so great for what it is I woulda scooped up ten to have people to play with lol.

Twig

Banned
What's up, guys! GTA4 and RF:G both will not start for me.

GTA4: I open it in Steam, it opens up Rockstar social club whatever, I login, I click play, it starts up a LunachGTA4 process and then that process closes and GTA4 is not launched.

RF:G: simply does not start.

Both attempt to install GFWL every time I try to start the games up. I'm assuming they're failing at this for... whatever reason, and am now going to install GFWL manually, but just in case, I am posting while it downloads.

EDIT: "An error has occurred while installing XLiveRedist.msi"

Cool!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jube3 said:
man I can not tell you how many copies of torchlight I would have bought today if they would have announced a MP expansion. I picked up two for friends though but I think the game is so great for what it is I woulda scooped up ten to have people to play with lol.
That's the funny thing. I bought Torchlight primarily because it was single player only. MMORPGS intimidate me because they are completely open ended. I tend to play most games to completion (usually around 10-20 hours) and move on.

TheOneGuy said:

GTA4: I open it in Steam, it opens up Rockstar social club whatever, I login, I click play, it starts up a LunachGTA4 process and then that process closes and GTA4 is not launched.

Both attempt to install GFWL every time I try to start the games up. I'm assuming they're failing at this for... whatever reason, and am now going to install GFWL manually, but just in case, I am posting while it downloads.

Cool!

http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/p/9661/88740.aspx

InGlocksWeTrust said:
Are you running the required software?

Initial activation requires internet connection; Online play requires log-in to Games for Windows – LIVE and Rockstar Social Club (13+ to register); software installations required including Sony DADC SecuROM, Adobe Flash, DirectX, and Microsoft’s .NET Framework, Games for Windows – LIVE, and Internet Explorer.

If you are up to date with all this, then I would try deleting every instance of GFWL by following these directions.

GFWLMod said:
Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE

Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE Redistributable

Delete associated files (if they are still on computer after uninstalling previous 2 programs):

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\GFWLive

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games for Windows - LIVE

Synched your clock (bios and system) with Microsoft time.

Deleted - C:\Users\"User Name"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive\SysCache

Then reinstall with http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-us/live/pages/livemarketplace.aspx

THEY LAUGHED AT ME WHEN I SAID I'D WAIT UNTIL THE STEAM SALE, THEY CALLED ME MAD BUT LOOK WHO'S LAUGHING NOW BWHAHAHAHA. /victory

Ah 5 dollar Torchlight. I dont care it's a "measly 5 bucks", that 5 dollars saved is applied to another game.
:lol :lol

Ohhh, Dragon Age is the daily deal

I may very well go ahead and pick it up now. Wondering if the extra $10 is worth it for 3extra items + bonus soundtrack.

Alucrid

Banned
sub_zer0 said:

I may very well go ahead and pick it up now. Wondering if the extra $10 is worth it for 3extra items + bonus soundtrack.

You also get the DLC Warden's Keep and Shale iirc. Double check but I'm fairly certain.

Wallach

sub_zer0 said:

I'm still looking for someone to sell me those CE codes... :D

If I can actually add them to my game (not sure if it requires a CE CD-Key or not) I would probably pay $20 or so for them, so you could get the OST + the other included DLCs and whatnot for cheaper than the regular version!

Twig

Banned
Alucrid said:
You also get the DLC Warden's Keep and Shale iirc. Double check but I'm fairly certain.
I think Warden's Keep comes with every New Copy of the game. It's their "please buy this not used!" strategy. IIRC. But I don't own the game yet so I don't know!

Erudite

TheOneGuy said:
I think Warden's Keep comes with every New Copy of the game. It's their "please buy this not used!" strategy. IIRC. But I don't own the game yet so I don't know!
Shale comes with every new copy, Warden's Keep is only free with the Digital Collector's Editions, otherwise it's $7.

Stone Prisoner is the free one. Warden's keep is worth $7 and you get some other crap like a soundtrack and wallpapers. I'd say the Deluxe version is worth getting for the convenience of not having to mess around with EA/Bioware points (yeah you buy points with money to buy DLC).

Torchlight for $5 is crazy, I thought I got a steal at $10. Game is sweet as

Parham

Banned
Dambrosi said:
Sorry I took so long, Demon's Souls owns mine. :lol

AMD Athlon X2 500+ clocked at 2.59Ghz
Windows XP Professional 2002 SP3
3GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon 4650 1GB (yes, I know, shut up, it's all I could afford :lol)

Any help?

Try updating your ATI driver. If that does not fix the issue, I would recommend checking the file integrity of the game.* If neither of those solve your problem, your best bet would probably be simply re-downloading Battlefield 2.

* Right-click on game -> Properties -> Local files -> Verify integrity

hamchan

Only gonna pick up Lumines today. Is it just me or does the star wars premier pack seem like not such a great deal? They should have kept it at $10.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Damn. 2.2m users logged into steam right now. 100k are playing MW2. No wonder why that game doesn't drop from the list :lol

5000 are playing torchlight. I was expecting larger numbers due to it's price and #1 spot on the charts. I must just dream of insane steam numbers.

zbarron

evlcookie said:
Damn. 2.2m users logged into steam right now. 100k are playing MW2. No wonder why that game doesn't drop from the list :lol

5000 are playing torchlight. I was expecting larger numbers due to it's price and #1 spot on the charts. I must just dream of insane steam numbers.
Where are you getting these numbers from for individual games?

Wallach

evlcookie said:

Damn, that's actually quite a lot of MW2 players just for the Steam version.

Honestly I think a lot of people that buy Torchlight (and really a lot of games from these daily holiday sales) people simply don't play right away. Besides the fact that they have to download it first, a lot of people just buy these to own at the cheap price to play at some point in the future. I know I haven't played a few games I've bought during this sale yet.

Jake

evlcookie said:
Are you able to give any indication as to how you guys have performed during the sale so far? Is there a "Holy shit" or "So far it's been ok" going around the office regarding the steam only sales?

I'm not privy to those numbers, sorry!

And you know what would be perfect right about now .. A Thumbs episode :D

Video gaaaaaaaaaaaaames.

Ta da

evlcookie said:

Plenty small budget indie titles like Torchlight don't even sell 5k total, nevermind have 5k concurrent players on just one of their distribution channels a couple of months after launch. Its a $5 indie title and its bringing in more revenue than any other game on the world's largest PC game retailer during its busiest sales period of the year. Runic are doing just fine and have probably covered Torchlight's budget countless times already.

Wallach said:
Damn, that's actually quite a lot of MW2 players just for the Steam version.

The Steam version is the only version. Even retail copies require a Steam login and no other DD channel is selling the game.

Wallach

brain_stew said:
Plenty small budget indie titles like Torchlight don't even sell 5k total, nevermind have 5k concurrent players on just one of their distribution channels a couple of months after launch. Its a $5 indie title and its bringing in more revenue than any other game on the world's largest PC game retailer during its busiest sales period of the year. Runic are doing just fine and have probably covered Torchlight's budget countless times already.

Yeah, I mean... Torchlight has been in the top 10 sellers very consistently for a while now. If that list is based on revenue generated, wouldn't they have to have sold a stupid number to be there? There's 130k users on MW2 right now and it's been in the top 5 at $60... I wonder how many copies they have to be selling to stay on that list at $10 and now $50?

brain_stew said:
The Steam version is the only version. Even retail copies require a Steam login and no other DD channel is selling the game.

Ah, that makes more sense then.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
brain_stew said:

Yea absolutely. You could go off the killing floor guys comments about how the sales got him a flashy car and so on. I'm not a sales npd guy, but i would love, if only once, to get a figure for AAA games and indie game sales from steam.

Wallach said:
Yeah, I mean... Torchlight has been in the top 10 sellers very consistently for a while now. If that list is based on revenue generated, wouldn't they have to have sold a stupid number to be there?

It is and yes, the game's selling just fine, heck I think fine is a huge understatement, it'll quite possibly have the highest ROI in percentage terms of all 2009 releases, PC and console, if these sales keep up. Runic must be delighted, and really this is why we need a strong PC platform and why DD rocks. The project would have never had a chance to be particularly profitable (or probably even published) otherwise. Now Runic have plenty of time and money to make their MMO and will have a good chance of an XBLA payday later down the road.

Its currently outselling modern MW2 by significantly more than 12:1, if that's not impressive, I don't know what is.

Twig

Banned
TheOneGuy said:

Cool!
Well, I'm pretty sure it's the problem I've been having since I installed Windows 7.

I sometimes do not have the "permissions" to create new files, even in folders that the installers themselves create. I usually get around it by taking ownership of the folders using a script I found, but since this installer doesn't feel like telling me which folder needs ownership taken, I can't install fucking GFWL.

Hurray.

I've asked the W7 thread in OT but nobody could help. Any ideas here? Why the fuck can't I access folders I create, even though I'm the admin? (And yes, I know W7 has a secret "super-admin" type user, but that's irrelevant.)

evlcookie said:
Yea absolutely. You could go off the killing floor guys comments about how the sales got him a flashy car and so on. I'm not a sales npd guy, but i would love, if only once, to get a figure for AAA games and indie game sales from steam.

We'll probably get some sort of press about how successful the sale has been like we did last year. Doubt we'll get absolute numbers in terms of revenue or units, though. Reliable PC sales data is pretty much non-existant, and it makes it so easy for others to write off the platform as irrelevant, despite the fact that the huge and unprecedented surge in published indie titles in recent years would suggest the opposite.

Salaadin

Well, I just blind bought Torchlight even though I know absolutely nothing about it other than the fact that you guys love it and you can have a pet dog that sells shit for you. This better be awesome.

Oh, and I hate Steam too.

Wallach

Salaadin said:
Well, I just blind bought Torchlight even though I know absolutely nothing about it other than the fact that you guys love it and you can have a pet dog that sells shit for you. This better be awesome.

Bitches_Leave.gif

TheExodu5

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
I've asked the W7 thread in OT but nobody could help. Any ideas here? Why the fuck can't I access folders I create, even though I'm the admin? (And yes, I know W7 has a secret "super-admin" type user, but that's irrelevant.)

When you run Steam, try right clicking and click "Run as administrator". You can also try turning off UAC if you don't want to have to deal with any permissions stuff again. (Control Panel -> System and Security -> Action Center -> Change User Account Control Setting -> set slider to lowest). This puts your system at higher risk though. I run with it off because I trust myself, but if you don't, then you may not want to turn it off.

zoku88

Salaadin said:

Because there definitely isn't a demo... *rolls eyes*

Twig

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
When you run Steam, try right clicking and click "Run as administrator". You can also try turning off UAC if you don't want to have to deal with any permissions stuff again. (Control Panel -> System and Security -> Action Center -> Change User Account Control Setting -> set slider to lowest). This puts your system at higher risk though. I run with it off because I trust myself, but if you don't, then you may not want to turn it off.
I always turn UAC off. I know about 'pooters.

Running as administrator does jack diddly. That was the very first thing I tried way back when I first noticed installers fucking up.

Also, I get that error running the GFWL setup program. I found the XLiveRedist.msi installer elsewhere, that someone had sucked out of the GFWL package, and ran that. It installed fine, except it didn't have access to one file, so I went and took ownership. Once that installation finished, I was able to run RF:G. But now I can't update GFWL. So I tried running the official updater/installer again. Still no go. Like I said earlier, I assume it has something to do with permissions, because that's been a running theme with this entire Windows 7 installation.

Go go Windows 7 glitchy overprotectiveness.

Resident Evil 5 with the Color mod is so yummy.

The fact it's Games for Windows Live, means I can't play Co-op on my account while others use the Xbox for Netflix though, which is NOT yummy.

zbarron

Buttonbasher said:
Resident Evil 5 with the Color mod is so yummy.

The fact it's Games for Windows Live, means I can't play Co-op on my account while others use the Xbox for Netflix though, which is NOT yummy.
Do you have the steam version? I was unable to get the color mod working. Whenever I put it in the directory with the launcher it would crash in DX9 mode.

zoku88

I'm going back and forth on DA. I played a friend's copy of the game and really liked it, but I don't think I would have time to play it. And by the time I did get to it, it might be for even cheaper :lol

Volcynika said:
Demo not on Steam! Too lazy! Etc.

Also tried it, but not sure how the rest of the game would turn out, which is why I'm asking.

I played it on Xbox 360. It was never a goty but it was fun enough. The time manipulation aspect was implemented quite well.

Top Bottom