• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

zbarron said:
Do you have the steam version? I was unable to get the color mod working. Whenever I put it in the directory with the launcher it would crash in DX9 mode.
I do. I had the same issue. Just make sure you're not using 1.2, but 0072 (something to this effect). Copy the .ini and .dll into the main RE5 folder and then go.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
brain_stew said:
We'll probably get some sort of press about how successful the sale has been like we did last year. Doubt we'll get absolute numbers in terms of revenue or units, though. Reliable PC sales data is pretty much non-existant, and it makes it so easy for others to write off the platform as irrelevant, despite the fact that the huge and unprecedented surge in published indie titles in recent years would suggest the opposite.

It would still be nice to get a figure from *anyone* when it comes to steam sales. I don't think the guy(s) behind audiosurf ever released sales numbers when that was the big thing. Valve has always said publishers have access to real time data for sales but i don't think any publisher has ever released numbers regarding any game at all. Which makes me think something odd is going on :lol

Having the numbers would be a boost to the platform."Hey, I'm an indie guy and i just sold 50k over steam through the year for $5". I'm sure that would boost some indie confidence in wanting to create a great game and get it placed on steam.

Hating steam: I know people who hate steam as well. Mainly due to the fact that it's DRM. Apart from that they love the idea of such a platform.

evlcookie said:
It would still be nice to get a figure from *anyone* when it comes to steam sales. I don't think the guy(s) behind audiosurf ever released sales numbers when that was the big thing. Valve has always said publishers have access to real time data for sales but i don't think any publisher has ever released numbers regarding any game at all. Which makes me think something odd is going on :lol

Having the numbers would be a boost to the platform."Hey, I'm an indie guy and i just sold 50k over steam through the year for $5". I'm sure that would boost some indie confidence in wanting to create a great game and get it placed on steam.

Hating steam: I know people who hate steam as well. Mainly due to the fact that it's DRM. Apart from that they love the idea of such a platform.

I think Valve requires every publisher and developer that joins up with Steam to sign a NDA on sales information. Like Derek Smart and a few others have previously said that they weren't allowed to give out that type of information because of their agreements with Valve.

Also, there are some people who don't even like the idea of the platform. If you go to the Games for Windows Live forums, you'll see some people who just totally hates Valve and Steam. They would have meltdowns whenever someone mentions Steam.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
crimsonheadGCN said:
I think Valve requires every publisher and developer that joins up with Steam to sign a NDA on sales information. Like Derek Smart and a few others have previously said that they weren't allowed to give out that type of information because of their agreements with Valve.

Really? Wow that's fucking lame. Especially when it comes to a platform where everyone feels the need to say PC GAMING AM DOOMED, why would you hold back such information?

Time to install Lumines since it's small. Let's see what all the fuss was.
Edit: Steam servers are too busy. Guess that can wait :lol

Drek

Big Steam week for me at least. Bought the following so far:

Stalker
Torchlight
Audiosurf
Rome: Total War Gold
Hinterland
Lumines

Really thinking about gifting Audiosurf to both my brothers too.

kuYuri

Damn, I want to buy DA:O Digital Deluxe, but I know I won't end up playing it for a long time. By the time I will play it, it will be even cheaper. Or will it?

Choices!

Alucrid said:
You also get the DLC Warden's Keep and Shale iirc. Double check but I'm fairly certain.

I took a closer look at the Digital Deluxe Edition contents. Seems that it also contains a bonus DLC content episode (Warden's Keep).

Seeing as someone mentioned that the DLC $7, the extra $3 of gear, soundtrack, and wallpaper seems worth it.
Purchased.

Wallach

sub_zer0 said:
I took a closer look at the Digital Deluxe Edition contents. Seems that it also contains a bonus DLC content episode (Warden's Keep).

Seeing as someone mentioned that the DLC $7, the extra $3 of gear, soundtrack, and wallpaper seems worth it.
Purchased.

Yes, the Digital CE offers Warden's Keep as a substitute for not being able to offer the physical CE stuff (map, art, case, etc).

Sanjay

evlcookie said:
Really? Wow that's fucking lame. Especially when it comes to a platform where everyone feels the need to say PC GAMING AM DOOMED, why would you hold back such information?

Retail, the longer it takes them to find out the how much games on steam are selling the better for Valve.

chixdiggit

Strider2K99 said:
Damn, I want to buy DA:O Digital Deluxe, but I know I won't end up playing it for a long time. By the time I will play it, it will be even cheaper. Or will it?

Choices!

Same boat as you. Very tempting but I have such a backlog already....

Smash88

Banned
Hey guys my friend is having problems with RF:G. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix it?

Hey says: "Whenever i try to use my now existing gamertag to login, it logs in, tries to download the profile, then says it needs a required update, AGAIN".
--------------------------------------------
"It lets me sign in, always attemps to download my profile (which always is a broken profile) it says live for games REQUIRES an update (even though I've done it manually 3 or 4 times now, including a couple DIRECT from Microsoft. If i accept, it goes through the update process, but still tries to re-update when i restart the game"

He did this: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1080973

Anyone have any ideas?

Truespeed

VibratingDonkey said:
Holy shit! GTAIV finished downloading!

Just wait until you try and install this fucker. SecROM (listen, you're not secure so stop telling yourself you are. You were compromised before the game hit retail. Perhaps, you should change your name to SucROM because you're as effective as a butter knife in a knife fight) doesn't seem to like Process Explorer running in the background and will refuse to proceed with the installation until you close it. Also, WTF is a GFW title doing on Steam? And why do I need to join up to the Rockstar Social Club? Just install your ass passively and let me play instead of all this extraneous bullshit. It's stupid shit like this that drives people to consoles.

senahorse

Time just flies by when I play Torchlight, just played for around 4 hours and thought it was 2 :lol

Oh and for anyone on the fence at $5, I paid $20 and am more than happy with my purchase.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I've had a few weird issues with GFWL trying to update - something -. It would never seem to work until i left it one day / alt tabbed out of the game and then alt tabbed back, twiddled my thumbs and a few other things.

It really is an odd thing. Drives you insane.

Dambrosi

Banned
azentium said:
Try updating your ATI driver. If that does not fix the issue, I would recommend checking the file integrity of the game.* If neither of those solve your problem, your best bet would probably be simply re-downloading Battlefield 2.

* Right-click on game -> Properties -> Local files -> Verify integrity
Right, I'm back from trying all of that, and the dratted thing still BSOD's on me. I'm seriously bummed out by this, and I'm also wondering whether I should contact Steam and demand a refund :p

Any other ideas before I throw in the towel?

Parham

Banned
Dambrosi said:
Right, I'm back from trying all of that, and the dratted thing still BSOD's on me. I'm seriously bummed out by this, and I'm also wondering whether I should contact Steam and demand a refund :p

Any other ideas before I throw in the towel?

What error code does your computer display when it gets the BSOD?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just Defense Grid and Torchlight for me so far, but more are on the way. Holding out this long and ending up getting and extra $5 off of Torchlight has convinced me to not buy anything else until the last day, just in case I can get more savings on the games I want.

Current cart -

2cxib28.jpg

With The Witcher being the only sure buy on there.

Twig

Banned
Reinstalled Windows 7 and was able to get GFWL installed. Then had to jump through that one tiny hoop to get RF:G going. (Why the hell isn't the update going through STEAM? Fucking GFWL...)

Hurray!

Next up: GTA4.

Anyone here needing another person for a L4D2 4-pack? Or does any, kind, loving yank want to help out an unfortunate Aussie gamer? Now that I can play this game, I want to. But I don't want to play the 4Kids version if at all possible.

KillerAJD

Anybody have a problem with Stalker loading after selecting New Game? After hitting New Game, it will freeze when the load screen pops up and the text says it's Prefetching Data. It did it both before and after I installed the Stalker Complete mod. Not too annoyed, since I paid only $1.99 for it, but after my PS3 dying tonight, I really wanted to check it out.

Twig

Banned
trinest said:
I picked up the Void as well after I bought a few other things on Steam in the sale (mainly GTA), GAF likes it right?
I'd never heard of it until this sale.

Sounds neat, though. It's on my Watch List!

Smash88

Banned
KillerAJD said:
Anybody have a problem with Stalker loading after selecting New Game? After hitting New Game, it will freeze when the load screen pops up and the text says it's Prefetching Data. It did it both before and after I installed the Stalker Complete mod. Not too annoyed, since I paid only $1.99 for it, but after my PS3 dying tonight, I really wanted to check it out.

How long did you wait?

KillerAJD

Smash88 said:
How long did you wait?
Around 2 minutes. Guess I could try again and wait longer. When I brought up the task manager, it said it was not responding, so I just killed the process. Will try again!

*Edit* Jeeze, that took like ten minutes to load, :lol. Pretty cool game so far though. I like it more than Clear Sky, maybe because it runs better, so I'm not always bothered by performance (I don't like turning effects down, lol).

chixdiggit said:
Opinions? Looks like it could be really bad or really fun.
It is kind of cool, but it feels like it should be a multiplayer game. A lot of the "missions" are very Horde mode style affairs. Definitely got at least the $2 or however much it is out of it.

I keep going back and forth on Prototype... I'm interested in playing it, but I'm not sure if I'm $20 interested. It seems like the type of game that might hit in a weekend deal in a few months when I have less of a backlog, as well.

Torchlight was well worth the $20 at release, but I had to buy a copy for my brother.

trinest said:
I picked up the Void as well after I bought a few other things on Steam in the sale (mainly GTA), GAF likes it right?
I haven't heard too much chatter about it on GAF, but I've been interested in it since reading this preview at Rock Paper Shotgun.

Truespeed said:
Just wait until you try and install this fucker. SecROM (listen, you're not secure so stop telling yourself you are. You were compromised before the game hit retail. Perhaps, you should change your name to SucROM because you're as effective as a butter knife in a knife fight) doesn't seem to like Process Explorer running in the background and will refuse to proceed with the installation until you close it. Also, WTF is a GFW title doing on Steam? And why do I need to join up to the Rockstar Social Club? Just install your ass passively and let me play instead of all this extraneous bullshit. It's stupid shit like this that drives people to consoles.
I came here to post about the absolute clusterfuck it was. What the fuck is wrong with these people? Why do they do this to me? I paid for your game, let me play it. Thank you.

I think the thing might have temporarily broken my internet somehow, right after it made Steam freeze up. When I rebooted the computer I was greeted by this Social Club bullshit. Apparently it automatically sets itself up to autostart the fucking thing. How about asking me? You know, like you did like three times in a row when you wanted me to input the CD key you stupid piece of shit. Why the fuck is there a CD key anyway? I don't have a fucking CD. This shit is fucking retarded. God damn malware-infested garbage.

Gonna try to start it again.

Gravijah

Anyone know any games for 3 bucks on Steam? That's all my budget allows. ;)

Also jumped in and bought Torchlight and FFXI off of steam. My first two DD titles!

bathala

Banned
Gravijah said:
Anyone know any games for 3 bucks on Steam? That's all my budget allows. ;)

Also jumped in and bought Torchlight and FFXI off of steam. My first two DD titles!
u can wait for the deal of day tomorrow. if nothing is good buy some of the indie games

Braid is 2.49

Gravijah

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast is $2.50 and worth it at 10x the price.

Oh fuck yes, might have to pick that up. Absolutely adore OutRun. Any other options?

bathala said:
u can wait for the deal of day tomorrow. if nothing is good buy some of the indie games

Braid is 2.49

Oooh Braid... And another DoTD tomorrow? Spiffy!

Top Bottom