• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Is the DLC for hearts of iron worth it? I'm kind of confused by it. Thinking about that and zombie driver. I'm not sure if I should double dip on dead space...

Angry_Gorilla said:
This makes me cry

This sale is incredible but I still don't have a PC capable of enjoying these games. Have fun you guys :)

They'll still be there in a few months time. Sales like this are a once in a year kind of deal. Don't pass up these offers just because you won't be able to play them for a short while. Having a nice backlog of awesome cheap games will make getting that PC rig feel all the more sweeter.

MNC said:
What is the Red Alert 3 price in US, UK and AUS?

£20 in the UK, £15 for the mini expansion.

MNC

tahrikmili said:
Because it has shitty draconian DRM and nobody in their right mind would buy it.

Right?
It does? I liked the demo :( Can anybody recommend me a fun and easy to learn RTS then?

Slavik81

tahrikmili said:
Because it has shitty draconian DRM and nobody in their right mind would buy it.

Right?
The Steam version does? I bought it ages ago and didn't notice.
Its steam page also doesn't seem to say anything about additional DRM.

Kabouter

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is the DLC for hearts of iron worth it? I'm kind of confused by it. Thinking about that and zombie driver. I'm not sure if I should double dip on dead space...
No, DLC adds some sprites and stuff like that. Nothing worth spending money on.

Atilac

Guileless said:
Re: Day of Defeat...how newb-friendly is it? Some older shooters are impossible to learn while people are sniping you from sports they know like the back of their hand.
You just described dod:s

Stitch

Gold Member
brain_stew said:
If you haven't got a 3ghz dual core or a modern triple/quad core, then don't bother, the CPU demands are too great. GPU requirements aren't anything to write home about. Be sure to use a 360 pad (which autoconfigures, icons and all) as the mouse aiming is borked. Its a great game otherwise, if only for the huge nostalgia trip.

Aussie servers are working well for me.
thanks, the aussie servers are better. iceland is nice too. still kinda slow :-/

i have a 2.8 dual core, gonna see how the game runs in a few hours...

MutFox

Banned
Guileless said:
Re: Day of Defeat...how newb-friendly is it? Some older shooters are impossible to learn while people are sniping you from sports they know like the back of their hand.

If you like rushing, it's an awesome game.

To me it's the best rushing game there is,
and for $2.49, you can't beat that.

Don't worry about snipers either,
if you're good at rushing, they won't be a problem.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm debating whether or not to get Dead Space. I want to know if it'll play on my laptop, which caps out at L4D1 on the lowest settings. Any chance of handling Dead Space?

By the way, I bought the Unreal deal, Rainbow Six 3, Prince of Persia:Sot, and Lumines so far.

iammeiam

So a quick Google search makes it look like there's no way to get the Steam version of KOTOR running in widescreen mode; is that true? Can it at least be bumped to a decent resolution in standard?

Spwn

chixdiggit said:
I'm really hoping for a Civ 4 deal to pop up in the next few days.

You and me both. Also expecting Garry's Mod, because I didn't get it when it was on sale the last time.

Guileless said:
Compared to other shooters I think it is pretty damn easy to get into. Now if you were playing a similar game like Red Orchestra, it would be considered on the other end of the spectrum of difficulty.

Picked up Red Faction Guerrilla the other day, finally tried it today. After having to do manual workarounds to get it to patch itself, I was treated to very poor performance, and the game crashes when I try to go to the menu from in-game. Very disappointed--this is very buggy.

itxaka

Defeatist
So i was checking the RPG section and found this at the top of the page:

RPG
I put on my robe and wizard hat.

:lol Valve am awesome :lol

Also I bougth Zombie Driver and it's a pretty nice looking and funny game, recommended.

bee

tahrikmili said:
I believe RA3 has EA's shitty install limit DRM..

i bought the download version from EA store for £3.75 a few weeks back, once you patch to the latest version which is i think 1.10 u can revoke the activation from within the game, not sure about steam version though

Guess this would be a good of time as any to ask with all these games on the cheap right now. Do any other RTS games play like Command and Conquer Generals / Zero Hour? I used to be a huge Tiberian Sun fan back in the day and then my friends and I got hooked on Zero Hour and couldn't go back to the other style. Any ones like this? Already have Universe at War and it didn't really do it for us after a few games.

bee said:
i bought the download version from EA store for £3.75 a few weeks back, once you patch to the latest version which is i think 1.10 u can revoke the activation from within the game, not sure about steam version though

Is this true for the retail as well? Because the retail version sells for really cheap around here.. I think..

Zzoram

I just bought Indigo Prophecy for $3.39 because I heard it was great, it's now cheap, and I want to know if the upcoming game Heavy Rain (PS3) will be a game I want since it's the same type of game from the same people.

Volcynika

darkpaladinmfc said:
I got STALKER recently with the THQ pack, when I go through should I install the mod, or wait until a second playthrough?

Like mentioned above, it also fixes some bugs and things, so I'd suggest it for a first playthrough.

How big is S.T.A.L.K.E.R to download? I think i'd like to get, but I am restricted with a download cap right now.

It is a bit annoying that Valve won't give you file size info before you commit to buy.

Zzoram

Keyser Soze said:
How big is S.T.A.L.K.E.R to download? I think i'd like to get, but I am restricted with a download cap right now.

It is a bit annoying that Valve won't give you file size info before you commit to buy.

You can buy it and not install it until next month.

Volcynika

Keyser Soze said:

Use the system requirements on the game page as a range. STALKER's page (original one) says minimum of 10GB.

VGChampion said:
Guess this would be a good of time as any to ask with all these games on the cheap right now. Do any other RTS games play like Command and Conquer Generals / Zero Hour? I used to be a huge Tiberian Sun fan back in the day and then my friends and I got hooked on Zero Hour and couldn't go back to the other style. Any ones like this? Already have Universe at War and it didn't really do it for us after a few games.

Sort of sad you didn't ask this yesterday as it was on sale then, but Universe At War is probably (outside of the actual C&C) the closest thing on Steam to that kind of bombastic RTS. Fast paced with a ton of boom and cool units and abilities and was made by Petroglyph, a team of ex-Westwood developers.

Top Bottom