• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Keyser Soze said:
How big is S.T.A.L.K.E.R to download? I think i'd like to get, but I am restricted with a download cap right now.

It is a bit annoying that Valve won't give you file size info before you commit to buy.
5605 MB

VGChampion said:
Guess this would be a good of time as any to ask with all these games on the cheap right now. Do any other RTS games play like Command and Conquer Generals / Zero Hour? I used to be a huge Tiberian Sun fan back in the day and then my friends and I got hooked on Zero Hour and couldn't go back to the other style. Any ones like this? Already have Universe at War and it didn't really do it for us after a few games.

You could always try the original C&C3, it was a very fun singleplayer campaign for me and we got a huge classic C&C formula multiplayer kick out of it.

I hear the expansion was also good but I didn't buy it.

Keyser Soze said:
How big is S.T.A.L.K.E.R to download? I think i'd like to get, but I am restricted with a download cap right now.

It is a bit annoying that Valve won't give you file size info before you commit to buy.
5.6 GB

EDIT: Whoops, beaten twice :lol.

Fragamemnon said:
Sort of sad you didn't ask this yesterday as it was on sale then, but Universe At War is probably (outside of the actual C&C) the closest thing on Steam to that kind of bombastic RTS. Fast paced with a ton of boom and cool units and abilities and was made by Petroglyph, a team of ex-Westwood developers.
He said he already had it in his post.

Only game I might pick up today is Zombie Driver. This sale is too long. :(

CrookedRain said:
He said he already had it in his post.

Oops! Then he's pretty well set!

I recently busted out War Front: Turning Point as part of an adventure on a podcast segment I was recently asked to do. That game certainly has the same sort of C&C Generals feel to it as well.

Surfheart

At the time of ghostbuster's release on PC, I recall there were some issues with enabling AA.

Has it been fixed in a driver release?

Volcynika

MNC said:
What's the dollar price? I might want it gifted then paypal the money.

Base game is $29.99, DLC is $19.99

Seems to be an EA game on sale each deal, so this might be one in the coming days though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dead Space PC is mine. It's as good an excuse as any to replay!

quick question just noticed this started ot happen since I updated to windows 7 a few days ago. When im on steam and I hit any of the refresh, home, back, or forward arrows, it makes this beep sound, like a ping, anyone know how to turn it off?

MNC

Volcynika said:
Base game is $29.99, DLC is $19.99

Seems to be an EA game on sale each deal, so this might be one in the coming days though.
Yeah, I'll try to hold off, but I need an RTS fix :(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
legend166 said:
Are there only 5 things on sale today or am I missing something that's not available on the Aussie store?

There's always only been 5 things with the daily deals. I think anyway. Although it does look smaller ... :lol

Dead space is interesting at $10.19 but i'm sure it's a game that will scare the shit out of me. So it's kinda a no purchase. I hate "scary" type games, silent hills, the old resident evils etc.

Drewsky

evlcookie said:
There's always only been 5 things with the daily deals. I think anyway. Although it does look smaller ... :lol

Dead space is interesting at $10.19 but i'm sure it's a game that will scare the shit out of me. So it's kinda a no purchase. I hate "scary" type games, silent hills, the old resident evils etc.

I normally hate those games too, and I loved Dead Space, so if you were at all interested you might want to give it a try.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I personally found Dead Space to be more of an awesome action-horror game, more like RE4 than anything else. Though, it does have it's tense moments, I guess.

RedSwirl

Still considering Dead Space. I already beat it twice on the PS3 within a rental. I see that it's a very well-made game that made all the right design moves, but it didn't feel scary at all.

Maybe I should get it and start it on hard. What's wrong with the PC controls?

hamchan

evlcookie said:

Dragon Age added an extra spot because of the deluxe edition I think.

I don't find Dead Space scary, same as RE4. The main reason I found the older games scary was because the combat was kinda crap in those games and ammo was limited meaning you had to run away more. I found Dead Space stopped being scary after a couple of hours. You just start getting used to the jump scares and the combat was too easy, though I wa playing on normal.

evlcookie said:

I am the biggest goddamn wuss at jump scares and anything remotely tension-ey and while yes, it took me 3 months to go back and finish the game after the first 2 levels and I used a guide so I would know how many things would jump out at me, the game is GODDAMN AWESOME and I'm looking forward to 2 and bought Extraction for myself for Christmas.

MNC

hamchan said:
Dragon Age added an extra spot because of the deluxe edition I think.

I don't find Dead Space scary, same as RE4. The main reason I found the older games scary was because the combat was kinda crap in those games and ammo was limited meaning you had to run away more. I found Dead Space stopped being scary after a couple of hours. You just start getting used to the jump scares and the combat was too easy, though I wa playing on normal.
I love those games, but Dead Space didn't scare me. System Shock 2 however... FUUUUUUUCK.

Salacious Crumb

Just bought the Eidos pack and noticed that it doesn't include Hitman: Contracts. Am I going to be missing out on anything if I don't play that installment?

Druz

Doomslayer said:
Just bought the Eidos pack and noticed that it doesn't include Hitman: Contracts. Am I going to be missing out on anything if I don't play that installment?
Nope.

Btw, if you were curious it supposedly has to do with a copyright dispute with one of the music tracks(even though it didn't stop them from releasing a console collection with this game in it but not blood money)

graywolf323

Doomslayer said:

copyright issues over one song in the game

the song is "Rendezvouz in Rotterdam" by a band named Clutch

Oreoleo

bucknuticus said:
quick question just noticed this started ot happen since I updated to windows 7 a few days ago. When im on steam and I hit any of the refresh, home, back, or forward arrows, it makes this beep sound, like a ping, anyone know how to turn it off?

Control Panel>Sound>Sounds Tab is what it is in Vista. I'm sure 7 is more or less the same. Edit: Well that would be for Windows sounds obviously...don't know if there's a way to turn it off from within Steam.

RedSwirl said:
Still considering Dead Space.
Maybe I should get it and start it on hard. What's wrong with the PC controls?

Yes, that is EXACTLY what you should do. Normal difficulty Dead Space is for BABIES /tf2heavy

I think there was a lot of mouse lag with the game... IIRC it has something to do with the in-game buffer/vsync or something similar. It can be sorted out with D3dOverdrive, if I'm not mistaken.

ArjanN

Surfheart said:
At the time of ghostbuster's release on PC, I recall there were some issues with enabling AA.

I'd worry more about all the crashing, or how the game might stop working entirely.

dLMN8R

DennisK4 said:
Me too - I am not quite prepared to pay full price for Dawn of War II, supposedly it is a somewhat disappointing sequel.
Dawn of War II is well worth the full price, not at all a disappointing sequel, but it's already had a weekend sale for $25. It'll doubtlessly show up on sale again in the next few months, if not the holiday sale, especially around when the expansion comes out

zugzug

Is it strange that I bought the $9.99 Red Faction: Gur, but I am still after 4 years waiting on Dead Space at $5 price tag. Still not willing to pull the trigger at $10.19 its at now. I feel its worth a $5 Dead space buy but not at $10. Never played a Red faction game either guess I got excited by its newness.

Edit: was pondering the Hearts of Iron but when someone mentioned the single player AI is not up to snuff well no buy then I won't play it online or LAN with a friend.

Oreoleo

Firestorm said:
I started Dead Space on Normal on 360 and it was hard :(
Screw you guys.

Even on Hard, the first 2 levels are the hardest in the game because you don't have any guns or abilities yet. After that the game turns into a cakewalk on normal. The first levels are definitely a pain in the ass though.

zoku88

hamchan said:
What is the general consensus on Hearts of Iron 3? Should I get it or wait for a Europa Universalis 3 deal?
I like EU3 better than HoI3, but I doubt it will be much better than the amazon deal for complete. That come with a download code for gamersgate, too.

EDIT: But I think its worth more than the price on Steam, so I would get it.

You can tell they are made by the same ppl, but I think they have totally different focuses.

Javaman

opticalmace said:
Picked up Red Faction Guerrilla the other day, finally tried it today. After having to do manual workarounds to get it to patch itself, I was treated to very poor performance, and the game crashes when I try to go to the menu from in-game. Very disappointed--this is very buggy.

Yeah, I'm pretty dissapointed too. I can't even get into game without constant lockups and freezes at the menu. What a rip.

Oreoleo

^^^ That's a shame about your lockups Javaman. Once I got the patch sorted I didn't have any issues.

For the dude you quoted, since I am lazy, I was getting sub-par FPS at first in RF:G, but once I disabled ambient occlusion the game ran smooth as silk for me. I need a new video card :(

Surfheart said:

You can enable it through your drivers now, and you can still force high quality supersampling through the game's config file if your rig can handle it.

Stitch

Gold Member
Stitch said:
i have a 2.8 dual core, gonna see how the game runs in a few hours...
ghostbusters actually runs nice and looks nice. the mouse is a bit jerky but i already got used to it. :D

does this game auto-save at checkpoints or do i have to complete the whole hotel level? i want to watch a movie... ^^
nvm: it auto-saves at checkpoints!

Dipper145

I was having lots of trouble with RF:G when I got the THQ pack last sale.

For some reason it sets the priority to Above Normal by default, setting it back to normal fixed most of the problems I was having.

The game still doesn't run very well on my computer, but that's just because my computer isn't that good.

Javaman

Orellio said:
^^^ That's a shame about your lockups Javaman. Once I got the patch sorted I didn't have any issues.

For the dude you quoted, since I am lazy, I was getting sub-par FPS at first in RF:G, but once I disabled ambient occlusion the game ran smooth as silk for me. I need a new video card :(

Do you update it within the game or externally? On the menu I can move the mouse a centimeter or so before it locks up for 10+ secs.

Surfheart

brain_stew said:
You can enable it through your drivers now, and you can still force high quality supersampling through the game's config file if your rig can handle it.

Nice, thanks very much Brain_Stew.

Top Bottom