• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Smash88

Banned
This is why I buy physical copies of games. :lol

*laughs maniacally as I play the game without problems*

Anyways, it is a great game, not sure why so many people have problems in-game. My friend can't play due to some bink32.dll or something file, although it clearly works. He can at least play single player, but multiplayer is a no-go. Shame it barely works on Steam.

bucknuticus said:
quick question just noticed this started ot happen since I updated to windows 7 a few days ago. When im on steam and I hit any of the refresh, home, back, or forward arrows, it makes this beep sound, like a ping, anyone know how to turn it off?
It's because steam uses IE, need to turn off notifications in windows to turn the sound off.

vazel

Banned
Yay got HoI3. Nice to see DOD:S there gives me hope the HL2 episode pack will be a deal. I was worried the smaller Valve games wouldn't go up for deals standalone.

Drewsky

Yeah I'm hoping for a HL episodes deal, too. My PC stopped working for a short time that happened to coincide with the release of Episode 2, so I was forced to play it on 360. I feel like I really need to play it on PC, and it was worth another play through anyway.

senahorse

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It never did.

Is zombie driver any good?

Oh well, lucky I checked first. I notice other packs get updated, buyer beware I guess.

Zombie Driver, just loading it up now. I wouldn't have bought it, except I noticed the latest patch added native pad support :D

Dipper145 said:
I was having lots of trouble with RF:G when I got the THQ pack last sale.

For some reason it sets the priority to Above Normal by default, setting it back to normal fixed most of the problems I was having.

The game still doesn't run very well on my computer, but that's just because my computer isn't that good.
Thanks for this. After changing it to "normal" it runs a lot better--that is, the lag is gone, and I can play for at least 10 minutes before it crashes. So it's an improvement... Can't believe all the issues with this game though.

x3n05 said:
Oh well, lucky I checked first. I notice other packs get updated, buyer beware I guess.

Zombie Driver, just loading it up now. I wouldn't have bought it, except I noticed the latest patch added native pad support :D

Oddly, they added probably a little under 10 games to the pack but that game is still not included. Dunno if they haven't gotten around to it or what.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Dead Space have gamepad support?

To those considering DoD:S it is critically underrated. Don't worry too much about snipers because most of the servers you'll play on limit the number of Snipers/MGs so unless someone hangs out right next to one waiting for them to die there won't be too many of them. You do need to watch out for people who are amazing with the Kar98. But honestly if you can master one gun then you can do pretty well, just need to put the time into it.

Vormund

Zombie Driver plays much better with a pad now. Also have the screen set to "Static" since the other setting starts to give me a bit of a headache for some reason.

Zozobra

TheOneGuy said:
Torchlight is really fun.

But I really really wish it had multiplayer. ):

Patience. It's only meant to whet our appetite for the upcoming MMO, then you'll get all the multiplayer you can handle.
I wish there was multiplayer too though :lol

bigswords

PC gaf help i'm going crazy with GTA 4

I have a
i7 920
4 gig ram
4870 1 gig
Vista 32 bit and superfetch is on

When I play the game at 1920 X 1080 with medium texture the game runs fine and etc... but once I put it to high , after a period of time my textures start to not render and eventually the game crashes.

Please help. On high textures (wbut will crash eventually saying that's not enough memory or missing texture) my Vram is 868 / 1010 and medium (is fine no crashes and etc..) it's 468 / 1010

I should be able to play the game at high texture with 1 gig vram correct? View distance at 22?

IceMarker

bigswords said:

I have a
i7 920
4 gig ram
4870 1 gig

When I play the game at 1920 X 1080 with medium texture the game runs fine and etc... but once I put it to high , after a period of time my textures start to not render and eventually the game crashes.

Please help. On high textures (wbut will crash eventually saying that's not enough memory or missing texture) my Vram is 868 / 1010 and medium (is fine no crashes and etc..) it's 468 / 1010

I should be able to play the game at high texture with 1 gig vram correct? View distance at 22?
My GTX260 has around 890(?) MB of VRAM and it complains if I set everything to High and then pull the sliders past 40 on each. Other than that I've never had any issues with the game so far. I am enjoying it a lot!

bigswords

MrMister said:
My GTX260 has around 890(?) MB of VRAM and it complains if I set everything to High and then pull the sliders past 40 on each. Other than that I've never had any issues with the game so far. I am enjoying it a lot!

but do you CTD (crash to desktop) with high textures yea? :(

Volcynika

Looking around and saw some games on the sale, noticed Twin Sector which hit this month is only $10. Downloaded the demo to try it out.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh. Iono. It's a very physics based game and such, but I'm not sure how into it I would get. And the lack of checkpoints is kind of annoying, especially since you walk a bit slow.

Meier

Bought 3 copies of Torchlight yesterday and a copy of that music themed puzzle game I'm drawing a blank on...kinda like Tetris.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Meier said:
Bought 3 copies of Torchlight yesterday and a copy of that music themed puzzle game I'm drawing a blank on...kinda like Tetris.

Lumines.

Also Zombie driver actually looks kinda fun for $2.50. I might just have to pick that up.

bigswords said:

I have a
i7 920
4 gig ram
4870 1 gig

Sounds like a memory leak, the fix should be in this FAQ:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=397064

graywolf323

Statistics
Average FPS: 23.03
Duration: 37.21 sec
CPU Usage: 97%
System memory usage: 78%
Video memory usage: 95%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filter Quality: High
View Distance: 26
Detail Distance: 50

my latest benchmark

oddly I get a better framerate on high than medium :-/ and I don't think I'm going to get any better unless I put a quad processor in this laptop

Oreoleo

aznpxdd said:
Is it just me or is GTA4 a horribly optimized game?

It's CPU limited because it was coded with 3 cores (Xbox360) in mind. Core2Duo's run GTA4.. not that great, unfortunately. So all the dicking around you're probably doing with the video settings aren't going to help much, if at all. Edit: ^^^^Though all hope is not lost^^^

Javaman said:
Do you update it within the game or externally? On the menu I can move the mouse a centimeter or so before it locks up for 10+ secs.

I followed the directions in this post, which almost worked, but THIS POST is what ultimately got the game working for me on Live. Just download the files the OP linked to and paste them into your RF:G Steam folder. If you are confused or whatever I'll of course be more than happy to help you over Steam chat.

Smash88

Banned
bigswords - You are doing no justice to your computer by having a 32-bit OS. Your computer is only using around 3GB of your RAM.

graywolf - That benchmark means nothing trust me. It seriously does not measure your fps properly in that game. So high vs. medium is void.

SlickVic

So Dead Space takes on average 8-12 hours? If so I'll go ahead and pick it up. Save for a select few RPG's, just been digging getting shorter games now. Makes me happy knowing even if it gets added to my backlog, it won't take me too long to play through it.

I expect to get very jumpy playing through this. :lol

SlickVic said:
So Dead Space takes on average 8-12 hours? If so I'll go ahead and pick it up. Save for a select few RPG's, just been digging getting shorter games now. Makes me happy knowing even if it gets added to my backlog, it won't take me too long to play through it.

I expect to get very jumpy playing through this. :lol

About 10-12 hours first playthrough.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Smash88 said:
bigswords - You are doing no justice to your computer by having a 32-bit OS. Your computer is only using around 3GB of your RAM.
i thought 32 bit used up to 4gb.

bigswords

Smash88 said:

Yeah I know I'm "wasting" a gig but that was the dell offer during that time... so I have to live with that. nonetheless why are people able to play this game on high textures and not crash after X amt of time.

bigswords

graywolf323 said:
Statistics
Average FPS: 23.03
Duration: 37.21 sec
CPU Usage: 97%
System memory usage: 78%
Video memory usage: 95%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filter Quality: High
View Distance: 26
Detail Distance: 50

my latest benchmark

oddly I get a better framerate on high than medium :-/ and I don't think I'm going to get any better unless I put a quad processor in this laptop

May I know what's your graphic card specs? with vram if possible?

epmode

Smash88

Banned
bigswords said:
Yeah I know I'm "wasting" a gig but that was the dell offer during that time... so I have to live with that. nonetheless why are people able to play this game on high textures and not crash after X amt of time.

Depends, maybe it is poorly optimized with the core i7, maybe you have insufficient ram to run it.

Try toning down your other settings, just a tad, like distance, or whatever. Play around with it. I honestly, can't tell you solidly what it might be other than poor pc port.

Played a bit of Zombie Driver... seems worth the $2.50 so far. It's like they made a whole game out of the running over pedestrians part of GTA1/2. The camera seems a little wonky, but setting it to Static helped out quite a bit.

The cheap, smaller games like this are my favorite part of these sales. I would have completely overlooked this at $10, but at this price it was worth a try, and it's turned out to be pretty fun.

Rur0ni

rohlfinator said:
Played a bit of Zombie Driver... seems worth the $2.50 so far. It's like they made a whole game out of the running over pedestrians part of GTA1/2. The camera seems a little wonky, but setting it to Static helped out quite a bit.

The cheap, smaller games like this are my favorite part of these sales. I would have completely overlooked this at $10, but at this price it was worth a try, and it's turned out to be pretty fun.
Pretty much my take.

Oreoleo

rohlfinator said:

Some of the deals are so good, you'd feel like a dumbass for passing up. Zombie Driver, Lumines, Luxor 3, Osmos, Tropico, Samarost etc etc etc.... My Steam game list has quite literally almost doubled in the past month.

Oreoleo

dorkimoe said:
easier workaround for red faction
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1087130

played 1 game of multiplayer, it was only like 3v3 but alot of fun

I hid that link in one of my posts somewhere on this or the last page. Definitely worth it's own post though. IT WORKS PEOPLE!

When the game came out a lot of console owners were praising the MP, so I'm really intrigued to try it. Not nearly as many playing it on PC though, obviously. That's when matchmaking sucks.

Top Bottom