• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

iammeiam

I don't think Steam will get me today; Popcap collection is a great price, but there's a lot in there I'd likely never play at home so I think I'll just wait for excellent pricing on the individual titles.

Still waiting for Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines to pop up at a discount, or a Prince of Persia daily deal (or PoP 3-pack without PoP 2008.)

Rur0ni

Kabouter said:
Hearts of Iron III is perfect for not-so-casual gaming :p.
2zrq8ao.jpg

All sophisticated and serious. ;)

DirtRiver

I have decided to pick DoD only. Dead Space might be a fun game but it is just not the right time right now.

I have 17 games on Steam backlog and I still have to wait till the 3rd to see if I am buying new ones. Sorry Issac.

Coxswain

Steam's got me so fucked up that I think I'm actually more glad for days like this when there's nothing I want to buy than days when there are.

Bigfoot

Would like to see a < $5 deal on Peggle Nights. I played the heck out of Peggle Deluxe. Peggle is only $1.99 right now for the iPhone but I didn't buy it since I have so many other iPhone games to play and have completed Peggle Deluxe so many times...

iPhone pricing really skews your pricing expectations :)

Picked up Ghostbusters, Hearts of Iron III + DLC & Zombie Driver - my Steam backlog is officially huge (70+ games not yet installed) and my wallet is hurting, damn my impulse purchasing and damn you Valve!! *shakes fist*

SephriJ

Coxswain said:
Steam's got me so fucked up that I think I'm actually more glad for days like this when there's nothing I want to buy than days when there are.

Also agreed, so many games I want to buy, but not a lot of funds to disperse really, so looking for the hidden gems really. Hopefully some other games come out soon, gonna have to look at these while at work next week. I may get DoD:S but still debating it, already have enough FPS on consoles, not so much for the computer, but really don't play them on the computer anyways. I will debate it.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Dear THQ Complete Pack,

Please come back down to your Black Friday sale price of $50. I was a fool to ignore you. Come back to $50. I'll make you mine; I'll treat you right this time.

I promise.

Kabouter said:
Hearts of Iron III is perfect for not-so-casual gaming :p.

HOI3 isn't perfect in any sense of the word. Even after three patches the game is still a mess. I really wish I hadn't wasted $40 on it at launch.

Spwn

By the way, has there been a Defcon sale in ages and does anyone play the game anymore? I remember playing it at a friend's place a couple of years ago and enjoyed it alot.

Oozinator

Banned
I was going to buy the excellent Outrun 2006 for $2.49 and when I checked the available payment methods at the checkout page, I remembered I had around 3 dollars from a cc verification refund sitting in my "clickandbuy.com" account that I never used. That made the deal 100x sweeter :D

tomasdk

Jesus Christ, at this pace, my wallet won't last till the 3rd. 3 games today(HOI3, Dead Space, Zombie Driver), now I need atleast 2 days of uninteresting deals to be safe again :D

clip said:
Dead Space is completely playable with a mouse, what are you guys talking about?

Its really not, a 360 pad is pretty much a requirement and yes, I've tried all of the supposed fixes, and while they help they don't fix the problem.

confused

Banned
Tally so far :

Mirror's Edge 3.79
Ghostbusters 6.79
Riddick 6.79
Dead space 6.79
grand total =24.16 Euro's.

So far so good. Spent too long on the fence about GTA4, but i already have 360version.

clav

Eh, I think I'll pass on Day of Defeat: Source.

Only over 5000? I don't think that's many to keep a community afloat.

Is this a game I really missed out, and I have to play?

Beezy

Big-E said:
Just finished Mirror's Edge and it was really nice and short. The $5 was worth it though I can see if I payed full price for it consoles I may have been disappointed.
Did you do the time trials or speedruns?

Kabouter

Basileus777 said:
HOI3 isn't perfect in any sense of the word. Even after three patches the game is still a mess. I really wish I hadn't wasted $40 on it at launch.
You're actually right that perfect was the wrong choice of words, and it was a terrible mess at launch, wouldn't even run at any proper speed on my rig. But after three patches the game is very playable, it has issues, but to call it a mess is going much too far in my opinion.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Brazil said:
Some people didn't buy Torchlight when it was $20. Some people didn't buy Torchlight when it was $15. Some people didn't buy Torchlight when it was $10.

It's my turn to be cheap :(

Damn right! actually killing floor is $7.50 where i live not 10, weird.

Big-E

Beezy said:
Did you do the time trials or speedruns?

No, but that is due to having so many games to play that I am doing the barebones runs of these games. Still it was enjoyable and may go back to it down the road. A very pretty game.

Parham

Banned
speculawyer said:
Ack. Which is it? It is not GFW and it doesn't list game controller support on the steam store web page.

As someone who owns the PC version, I can safely say that it supports the Xbox 360 controller.

Salaadin

Hows beyond good and evil on PC? I owned the ps2 version way back when and never beat it despite loving the hell out of it. How does it hold up today? How are the controls?

speculawyer said:
Damn . . . Popcap complete. Tempting.

nubbe said:
mmmm... Popcap collection is quite tempting... perfect for casual gaming

When I first saw the PopCap collection on there I was kind of interested, but then I checked the game list and saw that it was totally missing the most recent (and my most wanted) games, which are Zuma's Revenge and BookWorm Adventures 2. So, no thanks.

I already have Dead Space and none of the other games today look interesting.

Salaadin said:
Hows beyond good and evil on PC? I owned the ps2 version way back when and never beat it despite loving the hell out of it. How does it hold up today? How are the controls?
Controls are great IMO.

No controller support though.

Salaadin said:

I randomly bought it last year and it is not good. No proper widescreen support, runs like ass in alot of places, the keyboard and mouse controls aren't great either, I had to use a 3rd party program to get my controller to work with it.

epmode

Salaadin said:
There's no dedicated controller support. At all.

You'll have to use a third party solution. And even then, it's not very good. I went back to mouse controls. On top of that, I was never able to come up with an ideal way to invert the camera controls. Everything would be fine in the regular view then totally screwed up in first-person camera mode.

Not only that, the game runs in widescreen but there's no way to get it in ANAMORPHIC widescreen. So the game will run in a *tiny* little window in the middle of your widescreen monitor.

Terrible port by all accounts. And yet it's still worth all of the trouble if you don't have access to the superior Xbox version.

brain_stew said:
Its really not, a 360 pad is pretty much a requirement and yes, I've tried all of the supposed fixes, and while they help they don't fix the problem.

This must depend on the pc its being played on. Worked fine for me with and without forcing vsync in CCC. Maybe it's because I use Logitech's mouseware drivers?

Sanjay

randomlyrossy said:
I randomly bought it last year and it is not good. No proper widescreen support, runs like ass in alot of places, the keyboard and mouse controls aren't great either, I had to use a 3rd party program to get my controller to work with it.

Great game, shitty port but if your willing to put in the time to sort the problems out then go for it and I'm pretty sure it does support widescreen.

epmode

I <3 Memes said:
This must depend on the pc its being played on. Worked fine for me with and without forcing vsync in CCC. Maybe it's because I use Logitech's mouseware drivers?
I use the same drivers. G5 mouse. Had severe input lag in XP32 and Win7 64. Controller support FTW
Sanjay said:
Great game, shitty port but if your willing to put in the time to sort the problems out then go for it and I'm pretty sure it does support widescreen.
It doesn't. You might be able to get it to fill the screen if your monitor has a zoom fuction.. Mine doesn't.

I'm really not sure what causes it. I did have the problem when I first installed the game and had to force vsync through CCC to fix it. A few months later after i reformatted my pc I reinstalled I didn't have the problem even when using the in-game vsync option.

EDIT: To give you an idea of how well it works when the mouse does work for you, I can easily get through the asteroid section without getting hit a single time. Not everytime but almost everytime I can take out every single asteroid.

claviertekky said:
Eh, I think I'll pass on Day of Defeat: Source.

Only over 5000? I don't think that's many to keep a community afloat.

Is this a game I really missed out, and I have to play?
That is 5000+ people currently playing, not total people who own the game. It's almost been out for 5 years now and I have never had a problem what-so-ever finding a game. Hell 1,600 people are still playing the original DoD. I would not write that off saying the community is dead.

I <3 Memes said:

I use Logitech's drivers as well. We just have different definitions of "fine".

I <3 Memes said:
I I didn't have the problem even when using the in-game vsync option.

Well that locks the framerate to 30fps, so if you find that "fine", we clearly have very differing tolerance levels for this stuff. If stuff like this has ever irked you in the past it will piss you off, so just plug in that 360 pad in (or use another pad with the 360 pad emulator), every PC gamer musts surely have one by now, anyway.

Vlodril

Why all of a sudden there is price parity in euroland? Is it Valve's doing or its on each individual publisher to price things?

speculawyer said:
Ack. Which is it? It is not GFW and it doesn't list game controller support on the steam store web page.

Just because the game isn't GFW doesn't mean it doesn't have controller support. I own the game on PC and I can tell you with 100% certainty it has out of the box native 360 controller support.

Top Bottom