• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

ezekial45

Banned
I am looking for a good multiplayer game, not necessarily a FPS. I've already got the basics (L4D, HL, CS), so I am considering Brothers In Arms, and other games similar to that. A good sized multiplayer community would be great. Help me out gaf I am open to all suggestions!

TheExodu5

Banned
ezekial45 said:
I am looking for a good multiplayer game, not necessarily a FPS. I've already got the basics (L4D, HL, CS), so I am considering Brothers In Arms, and other games similar to that. A good sized multiplayer community would be great. Help me out gaf I am open to all suggestions!

Day of Defeat Source is on sale today.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
zugzug said:
well seeing as the PC online multiplayer is worth about $1.99 you may be close to correct in the actual value of the game :p

oh, what do you mean? I should get it for a console?

Twig

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Tried Day of Defeat, didn't really like it, sorry I forgot to include that. Anymore suggestions?
Sorry, if you don't like DoD, you're a lost cause. ];

I think my biggest complaint about Torchlight (beyond lack of multiplayer, of course) is that the levels are not random enough. Makes playing exclusively hardcore not as fun as it could be. ]; ];

Still enjoying it a lot, though.

ezekial45

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
Sorry, if you don't like DoD, you're a lost cause. ];

I think my biggest complaint about Torchlight (beyond lack of multiplayer, of course) is that the levels are not random enough. Makes playing exclusively hardcore not as fun as it could be. ]; ];

Still enjoying it a lot, though.

I'll be fine without Day of Defeat, I should have bought Battlefield 2 when it was on sale. D: Any adventure game recommendations? Not completely looking for a FPS.

Twig

Banned
ezekial45 said:
I'll be fine without Day of Defeat, I should have bought Battlefield 2 when it was on sale. D: Any adventure game recommendations? Not completely looking for a FPS.
Iunno. Lucas Arts Adventure Pack?

Telltale Pack?

There are a ton of adventure games on Steam but I've not played most of 'em. Except the above. Which I would recommend, but I'm also of the fanboy persuasion regarding those games.

I hear Ankh is... decent? Maybe?

ezekial45

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
Iunno. Lucas Arts Adventure Pack?

Telltale Pack?

There are a ton of adventure games on Steam but I've not played most of 'em. Except the above. Which I would recommend, but I'm also of the fanboy persuasion regarding those games.

I hear Ankh is... decent? Maybe?

Mmmmhm........Hows Thief: Deadly Shadows?

Nevermind, ive made a decision! Thanks for the help.

Xavien

Grabbed myself Dead Space.

So far my list of games brought during this sale:

Braid
Torchlight (damn you daily deal!)
Armed and Dangerous
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Broken Sword Twin Pack
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Dead Space
Evil Genius
GTA4
Mirrors Edge
Rome: Total War Gold
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky
Trine
World of Goo

Wow :lol

hulot

rohlfinator said:
Played a bit of Zombie Driver... seems worth the $2.50 so far. It's like they made a whole game out of the running over pedestrians part of GTA1/2. The camera seems a little wonky, but setting it to Static helped out quite a bit.

The cheap, smaller games like this are my favorite part of these sales. I would have completely overlooked this at $10, but at this price it was worth a try, and it's turned out to be pretty fun.
Was expecting it to play like that one Mexican top-down open world car game but after the first few missions, I'm kind of disappointed at how linear it is.

Dambrosi

Banned
Hmm. My current "Bought in the Steam Sale" list:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow Over Chernobyl
Time, Gentlemen, Please!/Ben There, Dan That Double-Pack
Sniper Elite
Audiosurf
Battlefield 2 Complete Collection (god dammit why won't it work)
Torchlight

Is that it? Well, no. I also bought Left 4 Dead 2 at my local CEX for £15 (more than a fiver less than the Steam Sale price - LONG LIVE RETAIL :lol), KoTOR in the last Steam Thanksgiving Sale, and let's not even get into the *free* digital copies of Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Mercenaries 2, and Medal Of Honor: Airborne I got off the EA Store over the last couple of months merely by virtue of being a member of GAF and European. A lucky laddie, am I.

But shit still sucks, because my HDTV died on me over Christmas. No more Demon's Souls until I can get a new one <:(

Mrbob

puebla said:
i got Dead Space. i hope the controls aren't as bad as some of you guys are saying.

If you have a 360 controller I would do that.

You can get a wired 360 controller for pretty cheap off of amazon. Works great and auto detected for many modern games.

vocab

Well I'm just waiting on the next daily deal. I feel if I buy something now, it will just go one sale the next day.

I bailed out on buying Kings Quest and Space Quest collection. They're not my kind of adventure games. The only ones I'm willing to play are like the non text based ones which there's only 1-3 of them in each collection. Plus it doesn't help they released it with problems. I'm watching a play through of Kings Quest 5, it's pretty hilarious.

Truespeed

I was applying the GFW patch for RFG and, of course, it failed. It really had no choice, but to fail. All it was trying to do was find where the game was installed in the registry, like a properly coded Windows installer should do. Unfortunately, Steam don't play that game and stores all of its games in the /steamapps/common directory and doesn't bother registering the location so no non Steam update utility will ever be able to find it, unless of course it takes Steam into account. This is going to be a never ending problem with GFW games on Steam it seems. I ended up having to manually update the game to play online by just telling the installer where RFG was located, but GTA IV and RFG are prime examples of what a joke PC gaming has become.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Truespeed said:
I was applying the GFW patch for RFG and, of course, it failed. It really had no choice, but to fail. All it was trying to do was find where the game was installed in the registry, like a properly coded Windows installer should do. Unfortunately, Steam don't play that game and stores all of its games in the /steamapps/common directory and doesn't bother registering the location so no non Steam update utility will ever be able to find it, unless of course it takes Steam into account. This is going to be a never ending problem with GFW games on Steam it seems. I ended up having to manually update the game to play online by just telling the installer where RFG was located, but GTA IV and RFG are prime examples of what a joke PC gaming has become.

yeah, i miss the days of pc gaming being truly the most accessible, idiot proof experience going. we sure didn't have to put up with one or two shitty ports a year back then!

d0c_zaius

Dambrosi said:

Sniper Elite
Audiosurf
Torchlight

Is that it? Well, no. I also bought Left 4 Dead 2 at my local CEX for £15 (more than a fiver less than the Steam Sale price - LONG LIVE RETAIL :lol), KoTOR in the last Steam Thanksgiving Sale, and let's not even get into the *free* digital copies of Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Mercenaries 2, and Medal Of Honor: Airborne I got off the EA Store over the last couple of months merely by virtue of being a member of GAF and European. A lucky laddie, am I.

But shit still sucks, because my HDTV died on me over Christmas. No more Demon's Souls until I can get a new one <:(

I bought Sniper Elite. Just tried it today, and its funky. The movement has this weird ice skating momentum to it. I think theres vs. or something if you want to try it sometime., hit me up.

Truespeed said:
Unfortunately, Steam don't play that game and stores all of its games in the /steamapps/common directory and doesn't bother registering the location so no non Steam update utility will ever be able to find it, unless of course it takes Steam into account.

For the benefit of anyone who is actually taking what you're saying at face value: I had to do the manual patch an Impulse install of RPG even though the game was installed to Program Files (x86)\Red Faction Guerrilla. It would appear that GFWL is in need of a patch.

bigswords

Truespeed said:
I ended up having to manually update the game to play online by just telling the installer where RFG was located, but GTA IV and RFG are prime examples of what a joke PC gaming has become.

Yes it's terrible at times, but Batman AA with GFWL and on steam was very well behaved guess it depends on the devs.

But for 8.99 and 9.99 usd well, it's fine with some workaround.

If I paid full price for those games, I think I would have thrown out my machine out the window.

ghst said:
yeah, i miss the days of pc gaming being truly the most accessible, idiot proof experience going. we sure didn't have to put up with one or two shitty ports a year back then!
Indeed, I sure am glad I never had to apply a patch just to get Outcast (made only for PC) to not delete all of its files as part of its own install process. :lol

zoku88

Dambrosi said:

Sniper Elite
Audiosurf
Torchlight(
If you're in Vista or Wn7, you might have to run steam in admin mode to get BF2 working. That's what I did.

Firestorm

bigswords said:
Yes it's terrible at times, but Batman AA with GFWL and on steam was very well behaved guess it depends on the devs.

But for 8.99 and 9.99 usd well, it's fine with some workaround.

If I paid full price for those games, I think I would have thrown out my machine out the window.
I'm playing Arkham Asylum right now and GFWL runs so amazing in it. I wish I the Live interface on 360 was this responsive :lol

bigswords

Firestorm said:
I'm playing Arkham Asylum right now and GFWL runs so amazing in it. I wish I the Live interface on 360 was this responsive :lol

Yes and DOW2 is really well done with GFWL + Steam. GTA 4 and RFG are the one of many piles of shitty ports that PCs have to endure.

Oreoleo

Truespeed said:

I like how you go on and on about having trouble getting that patch to work, and then lump GTA4 in at the end as if it has ANY of the same problems as RFG does. But of course! It's because they're GFWL games! Where are all the people complaining about not being able to update or play SF4, RE5, Batman, Dawn of War 2, Gears of War, and Fallout 3 I wonder??? Golly gee whiz what an epidemic this is becoming.

dLMN8R

FYI - maybe people already brought this up in this thread, but while Torchlight is indeed a great game for $10, I'd probably recommend you instead spend your $10 on Titan Quest Gold.

Much more substantial and longer game, and if you get a friend to go in on it with you, it has co-op multiplayer too.

Torchlight is the obvious choice though if you're hardware-limited. Titan Quest is unnecessarily system-intensive. Though it is incredibly beautiful too.

Smash88

Banned
Xavien said:
Grabbed myself Dead Space.

So far my list of games brought during this sale:

Braid
Torchlight (damn you daily deal!)
Armed and Dangerous
Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
Broken Sword Twin Pack
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Dead Space
Evil Genius
GTA4
Mirrors Edge
Rome: Total War Gold
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky
Trine
World of Goo

Wow :lol

corncat-small.gif

Nom Nom Nom! :D

Truespeed

Orellio said:
I like how you go on and on about having trouble getting that patch to work, and then lump GTA4 in at the end as if it has ANY of the same problems as RFG does. But of course! It's because they're GFWL games! Where are all the people complaining about not being able to update or play SF4, RE5, Batman, Dawn of War 2, Gears of War, and Fallout 3 I wonder??? Golly gee whiz what an epidemic this is becoming.

Ya, I figured there would be one or two defending all of the additional shit they like to install like the Rockstar social clubs, the chat client RFG tried to install during the update, won't run if Process Explorer is running in the background. Thankfully, shit like this has a patron saint to defend it.

Oreoleo

Truespeed said:
Ya, I figured there would be one or two defending all of the additional shit they like to install like the Rockstar social clubs, the chat client RFG tried to install during the update, won't run if Process Explorer is running in the background. Thankfully, shit like this has a patron saint to defend it.

Please point to where I said I was fine with Rockstar Social Club and Raptr (IM client installed with RFG patch. PS you can uninstall it WHOAMGZ) because I didn't.

Re-read my post. Go ahead. I'll wait.

You done? Good. Now, you see where I said "as if it has ANY of the same problems as RFG does?" I was implying that both GTA4 and RFG have their own, separate problems. They are not infallible and I never claimed them to be otherwise. You're being overly bombastic about something that, as ghst pointed out, is not exactly new to the PC gaming scene, and making yourself look juvenile in the process.

Truespeed

Orellio said:
Please point to where I said I was fine with Rockstar Social Club and Raptr (IM client installed with RFG patch. PS you can uninstall it WHOAMGZ) because I didn't.

Re-read my post. Go ahead. I'll wait.

You done? Good. Now, you see where I said "as if it has ANY of the same problems as RFG does?" I was implying that both GTA4 and RFG have their own, separate problems. They are not infallible and I never claimed them to be otherwise. You're being overly bombastic about something that, as ghst pointed out, is not exactly new to the PC gaming scene, and making yourself look juvenile in the process.

Thanks for waiting for me, it was real mature of you. I consider the Rockstar social club and the inability of GTA IV to run with Process Explorer in the background far worse than the 2 minutes I spent manually updating RFG. And yes, Raptr is an install you can opt out of. Too bad the Social Club isn't.

ezekial45 said:
Pay $50 and get the Telltale pack. You'll have enough adventure to keep you busy for a while.

Machinarium & Samarost from the developer.

Lucas pack (kinda old).

Ben there, Dan that

Holy shit at GTAIV :(. I'm getting an average of 13fps in the benchmark with everything set to low or off and at 1024 * 768. I knew it was going to be bad, but not by this much. I can game in the 20-30 fps range, but not the 10-20!

I have an 2.5GHz dual core, 4GB RAM and a GT8800.

Now for another 6+ months wait because I'll need to upgrade.

Dambrosi

Banned
zoku88 said:
If you're in Vista or Wn7, you might have to run steam in admin mode to get BF2 working. That's what I did.
Naw, I'm still on XP Pro.

Never mind, though; I've found a possible solution that just might work, but now I have to go beddy-byes. I'll try it when I get back up, and if it works, I'll post it here for anyone else who's having issues.

Alex

commish said:
oh, what do you mean? I should get it for a console?

The online is the exact same on both, I dont think it had the same growing pains on Xbox Live that it did on the PS3 and PC, though, since it didn't have to match through Gamespy..

If you want the differences I could note between them with a complete playthrough on both PC and PS3 and a couple odd hours on the 360:

PC: Stupid mouseless interface.

Console: Awful frame rate (especially on PS3), bad textures (especially on 360), gigantic load times (though I didn't see post patch, but it was upwards of 30 seconds on my PS3 prior to it compared to 5 seconds on my aging PC).

The framerate on Borderlands console version actually enraged me so that it's what sent me back to PC gaming. :lol Constant dips into the singles. Fucking pathetic.

vesp

Current Stash:
Torchlight
Zombie Driver
King's Bounty: Armored Princess

Hoping for a daily deal on Altitude, 25% off isnt tempting enough.

$1-2 Aquaria and/or Audiosurf would be pretty ace too.

Kinda tempted by the sale on the Borderlands Zombie DLC but it's not quite low enough for the 2 hours it would entertain me. Wish Moxie was out for pc, that looks a lot more interesting.

Top Bottom