• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

brain_stew said:
I did originally until I editted my post to change Burnout for C&C3 a little later. Feel like a bloody idiot now! :lol

Since I was the closest I think I deserve the prize, right!?? Go on.....Pretty please! :D

you posted twice wtf.

domlolz

Banned
Burnout Paradise is average at best. It gets boring pretty quickly but for the price it is at the moment it's probably worth trying it out for yourself.

I hope Burnout goes back to it's roots

Wouldn't mind Burnout 3 on PC, maybe PCSX2 may support it in the future

DMPrince said:
you posted twice wtf.

No, I just edited my original post, after changing my mind. I was only kidding about giving me the prize, really, I just feel silly after screwing myself over like that. Should have known it would happen after I made the edit.

RedSwirl

Interesting dilemma on Burnout:

I got the PSN version vanilla for $20. Buying the DLC (without big surf island) would cost me $10. Getting the whole pack again (minus big surf island) on PC here would cost me less than that.

brain_stew said:
Its a solid B+ single player FPS. Definitely worth the $2 price. Its worth noting that retail copies can be registered on Steam.

Prey is DEFINITELY worth the paltry $2.50 if you like FPS games. It is a very single player FPS that includes some puzzle elements.

I would not get it if you are just looking for multi-player, I assume there are very few people playing it.

Spy

I was going to double dip with Burnout Paradise until I found out there's no Big Surf Island in the PC version.

Firehead

Burnout and Killing Floor for me. I'll be getting the Eidos pack if there are no sales for MW2 and ArmA II in the next few days.
After that, I'll be spent.

syllogism

Killing floor also comes with a total conversion mod, which admittedly I haven't tried. Apparently it's pretty good but unbalanced.

charlequin said:
You are a gentleman and a scholar, kind sir.

Wow, that's an awesomely short list, which makes me feel way better about buying things I'm interested in from this sale. Does this mean that Bioshock eventually got its DRM stripped out? And so regular STALKER doesn't have any, but the prequel does?

Also, I feel bad for anyone who ever decided to buy Age of Booty or Flock on Steam and got a big SecuROM-shape dump dropped on their doorstep as a result. :lol

It's not a full list. There might be a few missing, but Bioshock had it's DRM removed after 6 months through a patch and STALKER never had DRM I believe. The prequel did but it was removed.

Is Killing Floor fun with just 2 players? My brother played through Left 4 Dead with me a while back, and I think he might be interested in this.

Burnout is tempting, but I already played the crap out of it on the 360 and I'm not sure if there's enough extra content to justify double-dipping. The island would push me over the edge, but it looks like the only new stuff is that party pack...

domlolz said:
Burnout Paradise is average at best. It gets boring pretty quickly but for the price it is at the moment it's probably worth trying it out for yourself.

I hope Burnout goes back to it's roots

Wouldn't mind Burnout 3 on PC, maybe PCSX2 may support it in the future
I agree . . . Paradise doesn't quite work. And I wish they'd get rid of the motion blur . . . it is annoying. I like the older games that don't have motion blur.

syllogism

rohlfinator said:
Is Killing Floor fun with just 2 players? My brother played through Left 4 Dead with me a while back, and I think he might be interested in this.

Burnout is tempting, but I already played the crap out of it on the 360 and I'm not sure if there's enough extra content to justify double-dipping. The island would push me over the edge, but it looks like the only new stuff is that party pack...
I'd say yes. It's not even unplayable solo like l4d1 is.

noisome07

Banned
rohlfinator said:

Everything but the Big Island pack is available with/to the PC version. :(

Killer

Banned
brain_stew said:
I did originally until I editted my post to change Burnout for C&C3 a little later. Feel like a bloody idiot now! :lol

Since I was the closest I think I deserve the prize, right!?? Go on.....Pretty please! :D

I wish i can,but it wouldn't be fair to other gaffers :(.

Dedalus

syllogism said:
Killing floor is great and if we get enough people I'll play some co-op
Count me in for some co-op when it finishes downloading :D

Highly recommend Prey, its abit of a dark horse for an FPS but you'll get your kicks!

rohlfinator said:

Killing Floor scales the amount of zombies in each wave based on the current number of players in the game, so it always feels fairly good. That being said, with 6 people, it feels like there's waaaaaaaaaay more. :lol

syllogism said:
Killing floor is great and if we get enough people I'll play some co-op
I'll be down for this later tonight, if you're still playing. http://steamcommunity.com/id/rocketdarkness

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I am 10 seconds away from raging...

Store page said an error occurred. But... I was billed. And it hasn't given me any confirmation email or anything.

speculawyer said:
I agree . . . Paradise doesn't quite work. And I wish they'd get rid of the motion blur . . . it is annoying. I like the older games that don't have motion blur.

Don't know what they use in the console versions (as its a 60fps title I doubt its the same), but the motion blur in the PC version is the same high quality effect used in PGR4, GRID and Dirt etc. and it can also be turned off if you don't like it.

Minsc

Gold Member
gregor7777 said:
WTF? From reading his post he was wondering why the review scores were in the 70s yet it gets a lot of love here on GAF. Why the snark?

I'm with your sentiment, but I think you jumped the shark a bit.

I just have to get to past thinking a 70ish score means there might be something wrong with the game. Glad to hear that isn't the case.

Macmanus

Lostconfused said:

It's really boring and painfully mediocre. Also there are a number of superior isometric shooters out there for cheaper such as Zombie Shooter, Alien Shooter, and the Shadowground series.

Save yourself some money and get a better game. Or get all three for roughly the same price.

syllogism said:
I'd say yes. It's not even unplayable solo like l4d1 is.
RocketDarkness said:
Killing Floor scales the amount of zombies in each wave based on the current number of players in the game, so it always feels fairly good. That being said, with 6 people, it feels like there's waaaaaaaaaay more.
Cool, thanks! I think I'll snag it then.

noisome07 said:
Everything but the Big Island pack is available with/to the PC version. :(
Is the extra paid DLC (extra cars, cops & robbers) included? From EA's site it looked like it was the vanilla game + free DLC + party mode.

Killer said:

No its fair enough, I'm just an idiot for being indecisive, and I agree someone deserves a chance tomorrow instead. On the bright side, my secret santa just sent me Killing Floor so all is well.

rohlfinator said:
From EA's site it looked like it was the vanilla game + free DLC + party mode.

That's precisely what it is.

noisome07

Banned
rohlfinator said:
Cool, thanks! I think I'll snag it then.

Is the extra paid DLC (extra cars, cops & robbers) included? From EA's site it looked like it was the vanilla game + free DLC + party mode.

They aren't included but are available for purchase.

poweld

Relix said:
I've been on the working screen for about 8 minutes now... and here I was buying Killing Floor =P
Yup, and I can't restart it:
There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance

vazel

Banned
Is there any actual coop in Killing Floor like in Uncharted 2 and L4D1/2 or is it like Serious Sam where it's basically deathmatch against bots.

Macmanus said:
It's really boring and painfully mediocre. Also there are a number of superior isometric shooters out there for cheaper such as Zombie Shooter, Alien Shooter, and the Shadowground series.

Save yourself some money and get a better game. Or get all three for roughly the same price.
Oh well, guess I'll just get killing floor and that's it.

Edit: Mainly because I found the demos for the shooter games to be uninteresting.

Just bought Killing Floor, mainly because I have a friend who plays it like crazy :lol. Does anyone want a Guest Pass for it, possibly to try it before buying it?

Killer said:

I agree with this too.

I put everyone's guess into a Word Document 15 mins before it ended (to stop people editing their guess after the deals went live), and it is only fair to go with them as the "official" guess.

I don't mind having another go tomorrow, either in this thread (if people don't mind 2 pages of people listing games again), or in another one.

vazel said:
Is there any actual coop in Killing Floor like in Uncharted 2 and L4D1/2 or is it like Serious Sam where it's basically deathmatch against bots.

Co-op is the only real mode, I can send you a guest pass if you want?

Minsc

Gold Member
A better question.

What's best for someone who hasn't played any to pick up first (and may stop at just one), LFD1, LFD2, or Killing Floor?

vazel said:

Yes, there's actual coop. Players will need to heal each other in order to survive the waves and help each other weld up doors to funnel the experiments into specific paths to kill easier.

noisome07

Banned
Minsc said:
A better question.

What's best for someone who hasn't played any to pick up first (and may stop at just one), LFD1, LFD2, or Killing Floor?

IMO, try and get a killing floor guest pass and give it a whirl. If you don't like it then head straight for L4D2.

Baha

I think people shouldn't take PC metacritic scores at face value since PC games usually get patched and several PC games can be a very different experience a year later (better or worse) than at launch.

Keyser Soze said:
I agree with this too.

I put everyone's guess into a Word Document 15 mins before it ended (to stop people editing their guess after the deals went live), and it is only fair to go with them as the "official" guess.

I don't mind having another go tomorrow, either in this thread (if people don't mind 2 pages of people listing games again), or in another one.

Yeah, I actually agree (see my last post), and as to where to put it, I'd say the "free to a good home" thread is your best bet.

brain_stew said:
Don't know what they use in the console versions (as its a 60fps title I doubt its the same), but the motion blur in the PC version is the same high quality effect used in PGR4, GRID and Dirt etc. and it can also be turned off if you don't like it.
Yeah, I'm being a bit overly negative. Paradise is a very good game. For some reason though, I liked the older ones more. I miss the crash challenges.

I have Paradise on the 360 . . . I wonder if I can turn off motion blur on that one. That would definitely improve the game for me.

Top Bottom