• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

vazel

Banned
brain_stew said:
Well the offer of a guest pass is still there if you're unsure.
Awww dammit I probably should've done that but too late already bought it. Oh well, if I don't like it at least I would have supported Tripwire with my measly five bucks. I do like Red Orchestra a lot. But thanks anyway.

I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a 100% save, or any save other than their own to work in GTAIV? I've download a couple, and it sees them in the game but when I try and load it tells me to check my hard drive and try again. I have "ownership" of the save, but it still won't load. I followed the directions in the txt etc, but no luck. I really, really don't want to have to play through the story missions again to unlock the whole stupid city.

vazel

Banned
I'm sure everyone here has a copy already but I got an extra HL2: Deathmatch if someone wants it. Also 2 guest passes to Killing Floor.

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I'm wondering if anyone has gotten a 100% save, or any save other than their own to work in GTAIV? I've download a couple, and it sees them in the game but when I try and load it tells me to check my hard drive and try again. I have "ownership" of the save, but it still won't load. I followed the directions in the txt etc, but no luck. I really, really don't want to have to play through the story missions again to unlock the whole stupid city.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=397064&st=0&#entry1059079870

Yoritomo

Sanjay said:
So what is Big Surf Island, any good? are we missing much?

I may get it on the 360 just to see. I suppose I should spend my bucks there instead of on a new copy I'd have to find everything on again.

nyong

Banned
Prey
Space Siege
Chronicles of Riddick
Rome: Total War Gold
Trine
Shadowgrounds/ Shadowgrounds Survivor
Torchlight

Strongly considering the Eidos Pack and Killing Floor. I can't really afford any of this, of course. Any other obscure recommendations? I'm also looking at Aquaria ($9.99) and Project Snowblind ($6.69).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
People keep requesting games here and they magically show up on the next daily deals list so I'm gonna give it a try.

There is no way I'm buying The Force Unleashed for $40, that should totally go on sale.

epmode

Sanjay said:
So what is Big Surf Island, any good? are we missing much?
It's one of the better DLC packs of the generation. An honest-to-god expansion pack. Which is why I'm so ticked off at EA/Criterion for not bothering.

And I totally would have double-dipped otherwise.

DryvBy

Ok, Steam and GOG should do a blow-out deal every month. Like end of the month. I've spent more on Steam this week than I have in months. $50 easily gone with daily deals. :lol

My friend checked his account last night, he apparently is up to $200 in Steam, and $20 on GOG.

noisome07

Banned
kodt said:
:lol are there even that many games on steam. I feel like I already bought all the packs. :D

It might be just me but it's not working :( Enter my ID and it shows every game on steam with $2000+ dollars total, lol.

brain_stew said:

Thanks, thats the info I've been using. Still isn't working though. I'm probably not doing something right with the xbox live wrapper because when the xlive.dll is in the GTAIV directory the game itself won't even load anymore. I ran the "copyXliveResources.exe" and it seemed to go through ok, but it still won't load the 100% save, or any other d/l save. =(

Guess I'll have look into it a bit more. Still better than playing through the story missions.

BuddhaRockstar said:
So is Burnout a good port? I loved Burnout 3 on Xbox, so I'll probably pick it up unless there are any technical issues.

Its a good port, yes, but it plays nothing at all like Burnout 3.

nyong

Banned
sonicspear64 said:
I'd get Aquaria, but it looks like another indie title might be discounted in the near future.

It's half-off right now. I've been holding out for a real price drop as well, but I'm not holding my breath at this point. I can't see it going lower than this for a long time.

brain_stew said:
Its a good port, yes, but it plays nothing at all like Burnout 3.

I just watched the Gametrailers review, you appear to race against oncoming traffic, build up boost, use said boost, and smash into rival cars. Other than the open world hub is there some glaring difference with the core game I'm missing?

nyong said:
I'm also looking at Aquaria ($9.99) and Project Snowblind ($6.69).
I played a really little but of it ages ago and hated it. I can't remember why, but I remember quitting an hour in and wondering why it was so bad.

noisome07

Banned
BuddhaRockstar said:
I just watched the Gametrailers review, you appear to race against oncoming traffic, build up boost, use said boost, and smash into rival cars. Other than the open world hub is there some glaring difference with the core game I'm missing?

Nothing pretty much. Other than the fact that Big Island isn't available for PC.

nyong said:
It's half-off right now. I've been holding out for a real price drop as well, but I'm not holding my breath at this point. I can't see it going lower than this for a long time.
If you're waiting, might as well wait another six days. At this point it seems silly to buy anything before Jan 2-3 unless it's already been in a daily deal.

BuddhaRockstar said:
The biggest difference with the open-worldness is that the game doesn't chart out a course for you, it just gives you a start and end point and you have to navigate your way there. A lot of people that were used to the linear courses in previous games were put off by that.

If you like the series, I'd say go for it. Even if it doesn't click with you, I'd say there's enough game to get $7 of enjoyment from it. It's still a very good game, just a big departure from the previous games in the series.

datamage

Hmm, contemplating Prey and Burnout. Have Burnout on PS3, but I've played it maybe twice, wouldn't mind having another stab at it @ 1080p + aa. ;)

I enjoyed the Prey demo for the cheese that it is. It does support widescreen right? 1920x1080 to be more precise.

Edit: n/m found my answer @ the widescreen gaming forum.

epmode

BuddhaRockstar said:
Well, the open world thing is a pretty massive difference when it comes to just about every event. Hope you like running into walls!

In the end, I really liked the game (especially once you start understanding the city layout. And I *love* that they brought back the Burnout mechanic) but I miss the old arcadey tracks.

Aaron

BuddhaRockstar said:
Do you enjoy racing games where you have to pause every minute to look at the map to be sure you don't miss a turn that would cause you to lose the race? Then Burnout Paradise is the game for you! Also, there is no crash mode, and you can't play split screen.

I'm glad ATI got around to adding super-sampling to their drivers as Burnout is pretty "shimmery" without it. Nice looking game otherwise.

domlolz

Banned
Aaron said:
Do you enjoy racing games where you have to pause every minute to look at the map to be sure you don't miss a turn that would cause you to lose the race? Then Burnout Paradise is the game for you! Also, there is no crash mode, and you can't play split screen.

Yes! Races are incredibly annoying because of this very reason. And of course, the lack of decent gameplay modes. Although I did like having to take out cars for them to be added to my garage, those chases could be really exciting and for a fleeting moment it captures the feeling of past burnout games.

I bought Torchlight without having any idea what the game was and I'm really enjoying it.

epmode

Volcynika said:
You guys don't see the onscreen indicators to know what turns to make on Burnout? I barely had to look at the map for races.
The indicators are hard to see and they often pick a less-than-ideal street. I'd be happier not having to worry about where to turn at all.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
So far...
Evil Genius
Ghostbusters
Call of Duty 4
Dead Space
GTA IV
Lumines
Madballs
Prince of Persia: TT
Prince of Persia: WW
Rome: Total War Gold
Serious Sam HD
Torchlight
Secret of Monkey Island
Star Wars: KOTOR
Trine
Zombie Shooter 1 & 2

and now
Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box

Damn you, Steam.

poweld

The Witcher will be a one-day sale. The Witcher will be a one-day sale. The Witcher will be a one-day sale. The Witcher will be a one-day sale.

I'm hoping the more this is said in the thread the more likely it will happen.

Parham

Banned
I'm considering purchasing Burnout, but I already have a massive backlog to go through. :lol

confused said:
Is anybody still in the christmas spirit willing to gift me Prey ?

I'm with family outside my country and steam is giving me an IP conflict in regard to my CC.

Any help would be greatly apreciated and I promise to pay it forward when i'm back home.

PM sent. :)

kodt

Banned
Hoping for Fallout 3 GOTY one day sale. $15.00 plz

Also CODMW2 sale would be sweet but would probably never happen.

Volcynika said:
You guys don't see the onscreen indicators to know what turns to make on Burnout? I barely had to look at the map for races.
I've always said that highlighting the *tarmac* of the suggested turn in addition to the street signs to take would be a much better solution than what they went for. It would have improved the game immeasurably, but as we saw with their steadfast refusal to offer a restart option and even trying to provide arguements against it before finally conceeding the point over a year later (I believe it was over a year but it may have been a little under that), it's clear that the team, for all of the great, ambitious ideas and concepts they introduced, lost sight of the little things that make a game like Burnout great.

Baha

poweld said:
The Witcher will be a one-day sale. The Witcher will be a one-day sale. The Witcher will be a one-day sale. The Witcher will be a one-day sale.

I'm hoping the more this is said in the thread the more likely it will happen.

It'd be nice if it was but it's pretty cheap enough atm and I'm really digging it a lot (on act III now).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is space siege any good? I'm thinking that and burnout.

Space Siege is so bad that I've turned down the opportunity to get it for free. You get it free if you pre order Alpha Protocol (which is day 1 for me), but I don't want Space Siege to even be on my games list, so I haven't pre ordered yet.

d58e7

Wow Red Faction runs only runs ok on my Geforce 8800 GTS can't max the settings. Are there any Direct X 11 cards for ATI/Nvidia out right now, if so what's the middle right now that allows maxed out graphics for now?

Top Bottom