• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Minsc said:
A better question.

What's best for someone who hasn't played any to pick up first (and may stop at just one), LFD1, LFD2, or Killing Floor?

L4D2 will probably last you the longest and give you the greatest variety. It will probably get most of the L4D maps modded for it eventually and get a bunch of its own custom stuff.

Minsc said:
A better question.

What's best for someone who hasn't played any to pick up first (and may stop at just one), LFD1, LFD2, or Killing Floor?

Do you want my second guest pass? That should help you decide if its for you?

dani_dc

Might go for Prey, otherwise the other deals don't interest me, have Burnout for 360 and I'm pretty sure the great majority of Steam users have the Orange box (probably been cheaper as well) :lol
Don't know much/not interested in the other two games.

Ceebs

The PC port of Burnout is excellent from a gameplay standpoint. I spent tons of time with it earlier in the year. The only downsides are that there is no way to do integrated custom soundtracks, and no Big Surf Island DLC.

Owzers

Another set of deals for me to pass up, though i did play/own 3 of those games at one point on consoles. This makes two days in a row without me buying anything...feels unnatural.

sillymonkey321 said:
Another set of deals for me to pass up, though i did play/own 3 of those games at one point on consoles. This makes two days in a row without me buying anything...feels unnatural.
You are missing out on Killing Floor, and orange box on a console doesn't count.

MDSLKTR

Concerning prey, i may have never finsihed it (lost my saves near the end levels), but 2.50$ is worth it just for the intro sequence which is the closest thing to duke nukem in 3d.

poweld

Relix said:
Check your statement, if like me you've been billed already. I contacted support.
My statement still says "Pending". I'll give support a ring, I guess...

edit: ah you meant bank statement. Yeah I've been charged... I have faith it'll go through, but that was the gift copy, and I still need to pickup my own. I guess I'll wait till later.

I'm a little surprised their servers still can't handle this strain...

vazel said:
Thanks I know I shoulda searched for something on my own I was being lazy. It looks more like Serious Sam than L4D. Hate how most coop games don't actually live up to the name coop and are basically just deathmatch shoot-a-thons.
Well its coop in the sense that you probably wont win on your own.

sillymonkey321 said:

Playing Orange Box on consoles is like playing Dragon's Lair on a C64, completely missing the point.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'd get Prey for that measly sum if I hadnt already got it as part of the 2K game pack year in the year.

vazel said:
Thanks I know I shoulda searched for something on my own I was being lazy. It looks more like Serious Sam than L4D. Hate how most coop games don't actually live up to the name coop and are basically just deathmatch shoot-a-thons.

You won't last long at all unless you work as a team on Killing Floor, especially on the higher difficulty levels.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
brain_stew said:
Playing Orange Box on consoles is like playing Dragon's Lair on a C64, completely missing the point.

Please. Only TF2 gets hurt by consoles cause its community to poor in comparison. The other stuff is perfectly fine.

Owzers

HK-47 said:
Please. Only TF2 gets hurt by consoles cause its community to poor in comparison. The other stuff is perfectly fine.

Yeah TF2 sucked on consoles, it's why i sold the game. I didn't love Half Life 2 and "episodes" like other people did, but Portal was great.

vazel

Banned
Baloonatic said:
You won't last long at all unless you work as a team on Killing Floor, especially on the higher difficulty levels.
Coop should be more than just facing overwhelming enemies and enemies that take more bullets to kill. Coop should have elements that require people helping each other out like when someone is pinned, healing and giving each other items, and needing several people acting in tandem to get past blocked off pathways.

It's unfortunate that the only coop I've played so far besides the L4D games that has those things is Uncharted 2 but coop is a small part of that game unfortunately.

HK-47 said:

They control like shit, are limited to 720p/30fps with zero AA and the PS3 version has severe performance issues. Its not the same experience at all.

HK-47 said:

The console versions are also locked @ 30fps, 720p w/ no AA and don't support mouse and keyboard. They are playable yes, but not "perfectly fine".

noisome07

Banned
Yoritomo said:
If I already own Burnout Paradise for the 360 is there any reason for me to get it for the PC?

It's entirely up to you. Have you played it before? etc.

The only difference between the console and PC versions are the graphics and not having the Big Island pack.

If I'm wrong feel free to correct me :p

Nitemare1

Dark Stalkers said:
I got an error when trying to purchase some games, will I get charged twice if I try again?

check you're games list and check your email. yesterday i got an error when buying zombie driver but i got the conformation email and i could download it no problem from my games list.

vazel said:
Coop should be more than just facing overwhelming enemies and enemies that take more bullets to kill. Coop should have elements that require people helping each other out like when someone is pinned, healing and giving each other items, and needing several people acting in tandem to get past blocked off pathways.

Um, that sounds like you're describing Killing Floor to me!?

vazel said:

It's unfortunate that the only coop I've played so far besides the L4D games that has those things is Uncharted 2 but coop is a small part of that game unfortunately.

But... that's exactly what Killing Floor is like. You have Medics and you can share money with your team so that they can buy better equipment.

vazel

Banned
Don't worry I'm getting it. jeez...

Better not be another Serious Sam HD burn or I'm gonna come back and flame all of ya. :p

Des0lar

will learn eventually
biocat said:
I love when people post stuff like this.
Care to explain why?
Because the game is boring generic fps crap. To this day I don'T know why I forced myself through this. The stupid revival minigame made the whole game obsolete.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Yes, there's actual coop. Players will need to heal each other in order to survive the waves and help each other weld up doors to funnel the experiments into specific paths to kill easier.

I think what he was asking was whether it had an actual story or even a game to follow, or if it's just essentially a scavenge and defend deathmatch sort of thing. Tbqh, I haven't played it yet, so I don't know.

vazel said:
Oh good because from the videos I've seen I saw nothing of it.

Well I only played the free weekend (just got my copy) but you can heal team mates, share money, barricade yourselves in rooms together, that sort of thing.

Owzers

SuperEnemyCrab said:
The console versions are also locked @ 30fps, 720p w/ no AA and don't support mouse and keyboard. They are playable yes, but not "perfectly fine".

So basicallly they are perfectly fine if playing a console fps doesn't bother you.

Yoritomo

noisome07 said:
It's entirely up to you. Have you played it before? etc.

The only difference between the console and PC versions are the graphics and not having the Big Island pack.

If I'm wrong feel free to correct me :p

Yeah played it all the way through on 360, found everything, etc...

I guess I answered my own question :lol

Damned sale makes me buy stuff I'd never play or already own somewhere else.

sillymonkey321 said:
So basicallly they are perfectly fine if playing a console fps doesn't bother you.

No, not really, the game's controls are very PC centric and just don't map well to the controller at all. It feels very different to the PC originals and then there's the insane amount of free mod content that you'll now have access to. A bunch of titles that stand apart on their own.

I enjoy Halo 3 a whole lot for example, but that's built around console controls and works much better in that space because of it. HL2 just doesn't transition as well as you might expect.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
vazel said:
Don't worry I'm getting it. jeez...

Better not be another Serious Sam HD burn or I'm gonna come back and flame all of ya. :p
By "Serious Sam HD burn" I hope you mean afterimages of the game burned into your retinas :p

If it didn't click try playing it co-op with a few friends. Maybe it's just not your thing.

Leatherface

speculawyer said:
I'm in the same position . . . I think I'm going to go ahead. I don't have episode 2.

Do you have Team Fortress? That and Portal are DAMN good games.

I don't.. It's that $15 price tag though... $9.99 is that sweet spot. heh

HK-47 said:
Are the Killing Floor character packs worth it?
They're just new models, with no gameplay impact. If you want to give a couple extra bucks to the devs, or want to stand out a bit in-game, go for it. Otherwise, don't bother.

Top Bottom