• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Spwn

poweld said:
The Witcher will be a one-day sale. The Witcher will be a one-day sale. The Witcher will be a one-day sale. The Witcher will be a one-day sale.

I'm hoping the more this is said in the thread the more likely it will happen.

Like it wasn't quite heavily discounted already. :lol

Truespeed

domlolz said:
Burnout Paradise is average at best. It gets boring pretty quickly but for the price it is at the moment it's probably worth trying it out for yourself.

I hope Burnout goes back to it's roots

Wouldn't mind Burnout 3 on PC, maybe PCSX2 may support it in the future

Likewise. Getting the A license was a grind.

Minsc

Gold Member
Sinatar said:
Space Siege is so bad that I've turned down the opportunity to get it for free. You get it free if you pre order Alpha Protocol (which is day 1 for me), but I don't want Space Siege to even be on my games list, so I haven't pre ordered yet.

:lol

What will you do if it comes for free with the game too?

I was hoping for $10 Orange Box like the last time it was on sale, but I'll take it at $15. Orange Box is what I was hoping to show up on the daily deals everyday.

Now I can finally play the HL series for the first time. But should I buy and play HL1 first?

Smash88

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Thanks, thats the info I've been using. Still isn't working though. I'm probably not doing something right with the xbox live wrapper because when the xlive.dll is in the GTAIV directory the game itself won't even load anymore. I ran the "copyXliveResources.exe" and it seemed to go through ok, but it still won't load the 100% save, or any other d/l save. =(

Guess I'll have look into it a bit more. Still better than playing through the story missions.

I had this same problem. Apparently no one has the brains to state that you need to use the GTALauncher.exe and not the normal exe. :lol

I found out by an accident.

Also still have a Killing Floor Guest Pass if anyone wants it.

graywolf323

SapientWolf said:
So far...
Evil Genius
Ghostbusters
Call of Duty 4
Dead Space
GTA IV
Lumines
Madballs
Prince of Persia: TT
Prince of Persia: WW
Rome: Total War Gold
Serious Sam HD
Torchlight
Secret of Monkey Island
Star Wars: KOTOR
Trine
Zombie Shooter 1 & 2

and now
Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box

Damn you, Steam.

I've done a little better so far

Grand Theft Auto IV - $7.49
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl - $1.99
Serious Sam HD - $9.99
iD Super Pack - $23.79
King's Bounty: Armored Princess - $9.99
Cogs - $1.99
Lumines - $2.99
Hearts of Iron III + all DLC - $13.68
Zombie Driver - $2.49
Burnout Paradise - $7.49

total of $81.89

but I've also only shopped the daily deals

ATF487

DIrtyWeasel said:
I was hoping for $10 Orange Box like the last time it was on sale, but I'll take it at $15. Orange Box is what I was hoping to show up on the daily deals everyday.

Now I can finally play the HL series for the first time. But should I buy and play HL1 first?

Oh god, you're in for a treat.

You should play Half Life 1 because it's a great game, but I don't think you'll miss much by playing them out of order.

Picked up the orange box today, looks like my brother is getting a free copy of half-life 2

so far during this sale I have bought:

defense grid: the awakening (plus another for a gift)
rollercoaster tycoon 3 (plus another for a gift)
stalker
serious sam HD
zombie driver
(plus another for a gift)
id pack (plus another for a gift)
deus ex
the orange box
torchlight

and the popcap collection for a gift

fallout

TF2 is worth 15 dollars.
Portal is worth 15 dollars.
HL2: Episode 2 is worth 15 dollars.

Just buy the damn thing, people.

Truespeed said:
There is no lead platform for Burnout Paradise. The code base is completely identical across all platforms with the exception of a system specific managerial piece that handles the system architecture differences. Would you like a link to that, too?
But ... but ... that flies in the face of how we at GAF analyze our games!

Drewsky

fallout said:
TF2 is worth 15 dollars.
Portal is worth 15 dollars.
HL2: Episode 2 is worth 15 dollars.!

Agreed. I was thinking about not buying it since I already have Episode 1 and TF2 but what you said is exactly what I thought to justify it.

Jake

crimsonheadGCN said:
It's not a full list. There might be a few missing, but Bioshock had it's DRM removed after 6 months through a patch and STALKER never had DRM I believe. The prequel did but it was removed.

Valve apparently got Steam's internal DRM right, as nobody considers it in these conversations. "Wehich Steam games have DRM?" All of them... Valve was just smart to put so much focus on the "Management" side, instead of the (restriction of) "Rights" side, I guess.

dakilla13

So far it hasn't been too bad:

Torchlight
Gifted Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Edition to a friend for the lols
DoD: Source

I bought Mirror's Edge and KOTOR over the Thanksgiving sale so didn't need to get them over this sale. The other games I am waiting for the daily deals or Jan 3rd are Gothic 3 and Trine.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Well i hate burnout paradise, I thought it was the worst in the series and burnout 3 to me was the best one they ever made.

Having said that. For $7.50 i'm willing to give it another shot. Also it looks like there could be a few aussies picking it up so hopefully a community with the game will make me enjoy it.

Also only 4 daily deals today? Or is the aussie store missing one

Jumped on Dead Space. Intense game, although, apparently I've been playing the hard way cause I didn't open those green boxes full of ammo. I may get KOTR since it's $5. Any other amazing deals I should pick up?

poweld

Truespeed said:
There is no lead platform for Burnout Paradise. The code base is completely identical across all platforms with the exception of a system specific managerial piece that handles the system architecture differences. Would you like a link to that, too?
Sorry, I knew I'd come off as an asshole, but I wasn't meaning to be. I'm just saying that since it was released on 360 and PS3 first, I'm assuming that the ancillary code to support the various PC features weren't actually implemented until afterward.

For example, I develop for three machines with similar architectures. I develop with one specifically to begin with, and then just make whatever minor changes need to be made for the other specific platforms as needed. 99% of the code remains the same. I call this "porting" my code over.

I'm not sure what else I would call it, really. Again, please don't take this for an inflammatory comment, I just get confused when people say something "isn't a port" when it seems likely that it is (not that it's a negative thing, necessarily!).

Burnout Paradise runs surprisingly well and there was one online game up at the moment, but I'm unsure whether that was due to people trying out the demo or who bought the game through sale. I doubt I'll get it though, since I'm quite sure how the online community will be after these sales hit and I already have the game on the 360 if I truly wanted to play single player.

Fireblend

Banned
:lol I just realized this is my steam anniversary, been a member since December 28, 2007. :D it has brought me much joy, as well as severe wallet pain ever since, but it pretty much brought me back to gaming after giving up on consoles. All praise Steam.

tjohn86 said:
Defense Grid: The Awakening is such a great game.

I seriously think of all the games I've bought during the sale its #1.

I'm loving it as well, it just sucks getting closer to the last levels cause i want there to be more haha

Chris R

epmode said:
The indicators are hard to see and they often pick a less-than-ideal street. I'd be happier not having to worry about where to turn at all.
Not really a problem after the first few races. You learn where to go and how to get there. For instance coast guard hq to naval yard. You could go straight through the city as a straight line is the shortest distance but I never did. My path was to go to the baseball park and then shoot down the long straight road. Sure it is basically the longest path there but with a fast car and constant boosting it is an easy win.

I'm not saying burnout is perfect. It really needed a proper crash mode with medals and high scores. Also didn't know the pc version doesn't come with big surf island which was super fun.

Truespeed

poweld said:
Sorry, I knew I'd come off as an asshole, but I wasn't meaning to be. I'm just saying that since it was released on 360 and PS3 first, I'm assuming that the ancillary code to support the various PC features weren't actually implemented until afterward.

For example, I develop for three machines with similar architectures. I develop with one specifically to begin with, and then just make whatever minor changes need to be made for the other specific platforms as needed. 99% of the code remains the same. I call this "porting" my code over.

I'm not sure what else I would call it, really. Again, please don't take this for an inflammatory comment, I just get confused when people say something "isn't a port" when it seems likely that it is (not that it's a negative thing, necessarily!).

Na, you didn't. It's just that the word 'port' has a very negative connotation and you instantly equate degraded performance and visuals to it. But, in order for there to be a port there has to be a lead platform and contrary to what a quick google search will yield, there really was no lead so I prefer to think of it as just a platform specific build.

But to re-focus on the concept of the cross-platform "pragmatism", there is no lead platform in Criterion, no separate teams dedicated to different consoles. There is a gameplay experience that is the singular focus and the commitment from every member of the Burnout team is that this will be identical regardless of the machine you play it on. And here's where things get seriously impressive, bearing in mind the performance levels we see in the final game: the vast majority of the code is exactly the same on PS3, Xbox 360 and indeed PC.

"Very early on we made a lot of very right decisions in terms of the architecture and the software and the way we were going to approach things, which has worked extremely well for us. Our aim was to produce an architecture that would work well on PS3, 360 and PC," Parr explains.

Criterion's method of exacting the most performance from the new architecture isn't so much about threading as such, it's all about parallelisation. Rather than lump different game aspects onto different threads (where massive latencies can build as each processor waits for the other to finish its work), game code is highly optimised to make use of what processors are available at any given moment on whatever target hardware, and by choosing the all-important balance points, the experience is like-for-like on all platforms. High-level management code that is unique to each platform then processes the game code according to the hardware that is available.

"The management code, the really high-level code that manages how you parallelise what and where, that obviously can't be the same on both as you have different number of processors, different architectures," says Fry. "But the point is that with the stuff the coders write, there is very little bespoke code, it's shared across all platforms, all processors. Obviously there's a little bit that is bespoke, like online. But the key is not to 'go off on one' and do something suited to one particular platform that the others won't do very well."

x3sphere

d58e7 said:
Wow Red Faction runs only runs ok on my Geforce 8800 GTS can't max the settings. Are there any Direct X 11 cards for ATI/Nvidia out right now, if so what's the middle right now that allows maxed out graphics for now?

for ATI yes, Nvidia is late to the DX11 party and won't have parts out till March at best, and in limited quantities at that. I'd recommend a HD5850, it will max out Red Faction easily.

What is your CPU btw? Red Faction is very computational heavy so a dual/quad core around 3 Ghz is recommended.

epmode

rhfb said:
Not really a problem after the first few races. You learn where to go and how to get there.
If "first few races" means "first two thirds of the game" then I agree. I'm not great with directions in general but I wasn't comfortable enough to play without pausing for quite a while.

Max

I am not Max
Other than MW2, Dawn of War 2 is the only current top seller that hasn't been on a daily sale yet :(

PLEASE STEAM, PLEASE.

Truespeed

Koojay said:
Yes please! Even 25% would be efficient! Anything below $10!

It's funny you mention that. That's one game I've always wanted to go on sale. It just never does. So I got a $5 coupon from D2D for buying Trine for $9 during their sale and bought Defcon a few days ago for $5.

Top Bottom