• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Wallach

MisterAnderson said:
How does a digital game sell out? Ran out of cd-keys? wut?

Yep, they are out of valid activation keys and probably can't get any more from the publisher at this point. Sucks for the publisher, really, because they could have made plenty more from the sale.

mrgone

I've never made so many consecutive credit card purchases in my life. This christmas has been an epic clusterfuck of online deals. I love it and hate it :)

I imagine 2k will supply more codes for Prey - I'm expecting to see it back with the daily deals in the next day or so.

Mrbob

Prey sold out! It is hilarious to see a digital copy sell out, but I can see how it happens. Those cd keys we hate to input are automatically registered when we buy the game on steam. Even though this part is transparent on steam it is still there.

eznark said:
FYI, Space Siege is easily worth $5. I bought it new and really liked it.

Don't listen to this man. He also enjoyed playing Darkest of Days! He has a knack for liking terrible games. :lol Makes perfect sense why he is a Brewers fan!

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:
Don't listen to this man. He also enjoyed playing Darkest of Days! He has a knack for liking terrible games. :lol Makes perfect sense why he is a Brewers fan!
You never played Space Siege. It's a fun loot game. I fully admit DoD is God awful, I still dug it.

Wallach said:
Yep, they are out of valid activation keys and probably can't get any more from the publisher at this point. Sucks for the publisher, really, because they could have made plenty more from the sale.
Well, the publisher is 2K. It looks like Valve contacted them and 2K decided to let them sell Bioshock licenses for $5. So 2K is getting 2 sales from many people.

And it is pretty smart to put Bioshock on sale now to get people ready for Bioshock 2 coming in February.

nyong

Banned
I would love to know how many copies of Prey sold. It's amazing to me that a long since dead and forgotten game can be revived and make the publisher money like that. There are so many games I never would have bought had they not been available dirt cheap through Steam. My 78 game backlog is a testament to this.

kamspy

Jackl said:
Killing Floor at 5 dollars is tempting me. A friend described to me it being like Quake like environments+ Modern Warfare customization meets Left 4 Dead gameplay. And that sounds pretty fucking cool.

Well, it's not A->B like L4D, so it's really more like Horde in that aspect IMO.

There's a store that reminds me of the counter strike store.

The enemies are very inspired by Quake. By very I mean verge of lawsuit very.

Mrbob

Valve must be updated the top 20 list much quicker than normal.

Bioshock is already in the top 5. Would be cool if Valve posts the top 20 best selling games for the entire holiday sale period when it is over.

Eznark I will admit I am interested in Space Siege only to see if its the train wreck I've heard it is.

Mrbob said:

Bioshock is already in the top 5. Would be cool if Valve posts the top 20 best selling games for the entire holiday sale period when it is over.

Must not have had very many Prey licenses . . . it is not in the top 20 at all?

BTW, the PopCap collection is still $49.99.

Wallach

speculawyer said:
Well, the publisher is 2K. It looks like Valve contacted them and 2K decided to let them sell Bioshock licenses for $5. So 2K is getting 2 sales from many people.

And it is pretty smart to put Bioshock on sale now to get people ready for Bioshock 2 coming in February.

That makes more sense, I didn't even check who published Prey. I wonder if they just couldn't be arsed to make more keys available for it at this point.

eznark

Banned
Mrbob said:

Eznark I will admit I am interested in Space Siege only to see if its the train wreck I've heard it is.
They tried to do too much. They added a story and a sort of man v. machine morality system. They should have just put it out there bare bones like Torchlight and reaped the whirlwind of praise.

Mrbob

speculawyer said:
Must not have had very many Prey licenses . . . it is not in the top 20 at all?

BTW, the PopCap collection is still $49.99.

I remember seeing Prey in the top 5 before. Now that I think about it, I believe Valve just switched out Prey with Bioshock in the five slot for the top 20 until the next update.

Edit: Wow looking at steam stats the service is almost at 2.5 million people concurrent at its peak.

Double edit: Bioshock up to number 3 now. Burnout is tempting for certain. I'll never use the party functions on pc, but 7.50 for that game is dirt cheap. Is Big Surf Island coming to PC?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Is anyone interested in a TF2 trial?

and I still have extra copies of HL2 and Episode 1.
a nice trade for those would be good.

All this talk of KillingFloor is tempting me. Need to stop coming into this thread.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I was away the whole day but was thinking to myself "Heck, I'll pick up Pray now so I have something to play until they lower BioShock." I come home and find out that the impossible has happened, they've removed Pray and added BioShock. I want to say "Owned!" but it feels so odd.

parasight

wenis said:
Is anyone interested in a TF2 trial?

and I still have extra copies of HL2 and Episode 1.
a nice trade for those would be good.

All this talk of KillingFloor is tempting me. Need to stop coming into this thread.

I'd like a TF2 trial :D

Got 2 Killing Floor guest passes if anyone wants um.

Also noticed I randomly still have an extra copy of Half LIfe 2: Ep1 if anyone fancies that too.

DryvBy

kamspy said:
*My imagination while making dinner after seeing that*

3DRealms guy: Holy shit we've sold thousands of copies of Prey in one day on Steam! Jack that price back up! People are still interested! Someone cook up a script for a sequel! Fire the Duke machines back up!

Public: Prey is back to $19.99? meh.......

3DRealms guy: :[

Oh, Prey 2 I'm still waiting on. I think they're going to make Prey 2 end up like Duke Nukem Fornever.

DryvBy

randomlyrossy said:
Got 2 Killing Floor guest passes if anyone wants um.

Also noticed I randomly still have an extra copy of Half LIfe 2: Ep1 if anyone fancies that too.

ME!

Edit: Killing Floor that is, I have Ep1

mrgone

Blackface said:
I forgot how amazing the intro to Prey was. One of my favourites.

Rube Goldberg kill my Pop-Pop!

I want to play through this game now, pooping walls and all. Hopefully 2k comes through with more keys

Tokubetsu

Jackl said:
Killing Floor at 5 dollars is tempting me. A friend described to me it being like Quake like environments+ Modern Warfare customization meets Left 4 Dead gameplay. And that sounds pretty fucking cool.

It is pretty cool. For awhile I can edged it above L4D. Mainly because L4D became too easy and while KF isn't as polished and doesn't have the kinda budget etc L4D did, it was a lot more challenging and rewarding to play. Hard mode is basically impossible no matter how good you and your team is and normal is going to bend you over if your team is garbage. I'm back on with L4D love though thanks to realism in 2.

Alex

Killing Floor is a nice little mix of Unreal and L4D, it's fun for awhile, but man I haven't seen presentation that bad since the 90s.

It has shit on L4D, but nothing really does in the co-op area cept Monster Hunter to me.

>.>

I just tried buying Burnout Paradise just to see if goes through because Bioshock Wouldn't. and unfortunately it went through. WTF. I guess it was because I was downloading the Burnout Demo :lol.

Top Bottom