• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

yacobod

Banned
bioshock for 4.99, good deal :)

so far my haul for the steam holiday sale is

stalker 1.99
braid 2.49
rome total war 2.49
bioshock 4.99

im still hoping for a cheap deal on complete civ4 before its over

Oli

yacobod said:
bioshock for 4.99, good deal :)

so far my haul for the steam holiday sale is

stalker 1.99
braid 2.49
rome total war 2.49
bioshock 4.99

im still hoping for a cheap deal on complete civ4 before its over

It's nice to get so much and barely break $10.

My only buy is Braid so far, looking for a Machinarium deal though. If it doesn't come I may just settle for the half price.

Dambrosi

Banned
Right. My haul so far:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
TGP/BTDT Double Pack
Sniper Elite
Audiosurf
Lumines/Advanced Pack
Battlefield 2 (which I finally got to work :D - damn audio drivers, thanks to Azentium for his help)
Torchlight
and just now, Bioshock.

I'm slightly ahead of where I should be, if I want to pace this sale out (waiting for The Witcher)...I hope there's nothing interesting for another couple of days, or the co-owner of my PayPal account is going to kill me :lol

Smash88

Banned
My friend said that he tried all of these steps + some random luck and finally got it to work.

Also another key solution is this:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1087130

Rez said:
you can play Red Faction with an offline profile just fine, I believe. it's easy as pie, and you don't need to worry about any workarounds. unless it isn't letting you create a new profile? I had one already set-up.

This game has a great multiplayer component that could stretch out the value/enjoyment of this game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
you can play Red Faction with an offline profile just fine, I believe. it's easy as pie, and you don't need to worry about any workarounds. unless it isn't letting you create a new profile? I had one already set-up.

Wallach said:
That makes more sense, I didn't even check who published Prey. I wonder if they just couldn't be arsed to make more keys available for it at this point.
Perhaps the Keymaster is on vacation.

louis-tully.jpg

(I just watched Ghostbusters recently.)

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So far:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Defense Grid: The Awakening
id Superpack
Zombie Driver
Killing Floor
Burnout Paradise

Waiting to see if King's Quest or Space Quest collections hit one days before I get them, otherwise I'll probably get them on the last day.

Javaman

Ok, screw this piece of shit game, Red Faction Guerrilla. If I alt-tab out during the splash movies it causes a hard lockup on my computer and if I alt-tab during the menu (to reduce the priority of the exe) the exe crashes right away. I can't even get the menu screen to work right without constant pauses every time I move the mouse slightly so I can't download the update. I can't believe that the same developers of Freespace 2 made this turd.

ezekial45 said:
I feel like i was robbed. Is there anyway to fix the Red Faction Guerrilla update crash?
Javaman said:
Ok, screw this piece of shit game, Red Faction Guerrilla. If I alt-tab out during the splash movies it causes a hard lockup on my computer and if I alt-tab during the menu (to reduce the priority of the exe) the exe crashes right away. I can't even get the menu screen to work right so I can download the update. I can't believe that the same developers of Freespace 2 made this turd.

You guys are scaring me. Red Faction Guerilla was one of the biggest reasons I bought the THQ pack . . . I'm gonna be pissed if it doesn't work.

I used the patch tutorial on the steam forums and it worked after I had problems with GFW:Trite

Someone upped the patch files, you extract them to your red faction folder and run the game with a modified shortcut. It loads up and does it's install thing just fine. The online multiplayer was pretty bad I thought. Haven't tried the co-op yet.

Javaman

speculawyer said:
You guys are scaring me. Red Faction Guerilla was one of the biggest reasons I bought the THQ pack . . . I'm gonna be pissed if it doesn't work.

Fortunately there are a lot of other good games in the pack. Frontlines didn't get much exposure, but I had a blast with it. Especially impressive is the tank mission where nukes are going off over the horizon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE7vTi_tjZ0

It's pretty short in single player but I thoroughly enjoyed it. (It's sorta like BF1942)

ezekial45

Banned
Rez said:

I just want everything to work as it should. I payed for it, and it's really annoying that i ran into this problem.

Anyway, i got through the first part and now i've run into the problem with the binkw32.dll. I read through the threads and i saw at least 4 different responses for it (3 of which are things i already did) I'm getting really annoyed now.

What did you guys when this came up?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow, I've had nothing but good experiences with the PC version of RF:G. It was a really great PC version.

Don't blame MS's retarded GFWL shit on the RF devs.

Owzers

So far.....

Bought:

Rome Total War 2.49
Defense Grid 2.49
Torchlight 4.99

Will likely buy even if they aren't a daily special:

Zombie Shooter 2 2.49
Time Gentlemen, Please! Pack 2.49

I'm iffy on Prince of Persia Two Thrones at $4.99

ezekial45

Banned
Don't get me wrong, i LOVED RF:G on the consoles and i thought $20 for the PC was a steal. But at this point, i just don't even feel like playing the game anymore. I just want to fix this for the sake of fixing it. But i'm just running into problem after problem with GFWL. This is exactly what i was worried about when i asked about needing GFWL to play certain games earlier in the thread. I'm really worried about whats going to happen with Fallout 3 GOTY edition once i purchase that for PC.

I'm not blaming Volition for this, but i'm more upset that it's actually happening. Thats all.

ezekial45 said:
Don't get me wrong, i LOVED RF:G on the consoles and i thought $20 for the PC was a steal. But at this point, i just don't even feel like playing the game anymore. I just want to fix this for the sake of fixing it. But i'm just running into problem after problem with GFWL. This is exactly what i was worried about when i asked about needing GFWL to play certain games earlier in the thread. I'm really worried about whats going to happen with Fallout 3 GOTY edition once i purchase that for PC.

I'm not blaming Volition for this, but i'm more upset that it's actually happening. Thats all.

But you don't need it to play without gfwl it's just if you want to use your gamertag for acheivements ight?

Volcynika

I just hate GFWL because it's only in a few of my games, and I then tend to forget my logins for it, and stuff like DIRT 2 won't even let you save without having a GFW account or whatever. Stupid as hell. Let me save my goddam game without needing an account.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
eznark said:
You never played Space Siege. It's a fun loot game. I fully admit DoD is God awful, I still dug it.

How can Space Siege be a fun loot game. There is no loot.

Space Siege is execrable.

So far I've bought:

Broken Sword: Twin Pack
Medieval II: Total War (ROW)
King's Quest Collection
Killing Floor
Lumines Base + Advance Pack
Battlefield 2
Torchlight
Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Vacation
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (EU)
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
Braid
Rome: Total War Gold
Time Gentlemen, Please!
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (ROW)
Indigo Prophecy
Zeno Clash

...That's more than I realised but that's some good gaming right there. I have my eye on The Void too but I think I'll hold out in case it's a daily deal.

Javaman

Volcynika said:
I just hate GFWL because it's only in a few of my games, and I then tend to forget my logins for it, and stuff like DIRT 2 won't even let you save without having a GFW account or whatever. Stupid as hell. Let me save my goddam game without needing an account.

There appears to be some GFWL stuff going on in the background even when loading the game. I managed to switch it to windowed mode before it crashed and when I started it up again (with the steam overlay disabled) the GFWL overlay appeared inside the top of the window.

rez said:
Don't blame MS's retarded GFWL shit on the RF devs.

I most certainly will if their dumb design/integration decisions prevent me from being able to play the game.

Javaman

ezekial45 said:
Did you run into any problems with Fallout 3 GOTY?

I don't own it but it was on my buy list when a decent deal pops up.

I do own Universe at War and Lost plant which are rumored to have GFWL integration, but I'm not sure if the steam version uses it for those. They work ok on my computer.

vazel

Banned
Fuck I've spent about $150. I'm going to avoid this thread and the steam site from now on. Gonna dive into the Paradox games I bought that'll sure keep me busy.

Wallach

Wish I knew where all the RF:G problems came from. I just downloaded the fucker and started playing. I've never had any problems with GFWL outside of a stupid UI bug that occurs at 1080p where the in-game overlay doesn't quite have the pointer position right.

Javaman

Wallach said:
Wish I knew where all the RF:G problems came from. I just downloaded the fucker and started playing. I've never had any problems with GFWL outside of a stupid UI bug that occurs at 1080p where the in-game overlay doesn't quite have the pointer position right.

I'm not sure either. I've got the newest version of GFWL installed. When I do manage to alt-tab out the cpu is running at 99% for the RFG exe. I managed to reduce the priority once, but it crashed right afterwards. I'm stuck in 1680 windowed mode now since it crashes each time I select video options.

Big-E

I tried Killing Floor in the free weekend and only played one game and did not know what I was doing and gave up. Bought it just now and I am having a blast with it. Really fun and games are pretty quick.

Kritz

Banned
I've been without internet access for the past four days. Did I miss anything good? :(

I'll probably pick up Burnout today ignoring I already own it for Xbox. I need an excuse to buy a wheel or wired controller. >_>

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
eznark said:
Works fine in DoWII
Works fine until it doesn't work. I tried to install RE5 today and found I can't log into GFWL at all. All my ports are forwarded correctly and it was working about a week ago when I played the free game they gave away, but today it is fubar.
Edit: And just checked now and it is working again with no rhyme or reason.

Javaman

Ninja Kn1ght said:
So far I've bought:

Broken Sword: Twin Pack
Medieval II: Total War (ROW)
King's Quest Collection
Killing Floor
Lumines Base + Advance Pack
Battlefield 2
Torchlight
Elf Bowling: Hawaiian Vacation
Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (EU)
Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
Lucasarts Adventure Bundle
Braid
Rome: Total War Gold
Time Gentlemen, Please!
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition (ROW)
Indigo Prophecy
Zeno Clash

...That's more than I realised but that's some good gaming right there. I have my eye on The Void too but I think I'll hold out in case it's a daily deal.

I've scooped up quite a bit too..

You now own Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood.
You now own Majesty: Gold Edition.
You now own Grand Theft Auto IV.
You now own Indigo Prophecy.
You now own ItzaBitza, ItzaZoo.
You now own Zombie Driver.
You now own Star Wars Republic Commando.
You now own Star Wars Battlefront II.
You now own King's Bounty: Armored Princess.
You now own Red Faction: Guerrilla .
You now own World in Conflict, World in Conflict: Soviet Assault.
You now own Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
You now own Tank Universal.
You now own Outrun2006 Coast 2 Coast.
You now own Sniper Elite.
You now own Alpha Prime.

Top Bottom