• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Odrion said:
Everyone should buy Prey. It's pretty awesome. Especially if you like Duke Nukem.
capsule_231x87.jpg

BTW, I have Killing floor guest passes if anyone needs one.

kswiston

The Burnout Paradise talk here is confusing to someone who doesn't know the game already, so let me ask a straight question:

I was considering the Burnout Paradise bundle on PSN for $21. Now I see a Burnout Paradise bundle on Steam for a third that. Is the contents of the bundle exactly the same on both systems?

Ignore the potential for DLC on PS3 vs PC. I don't care about anything not in the bundle. Is there anything (besides DLC I most likely wouldn't buy anyhow) that I should consider before choosing the PC version over the PS3 version?

I have a decent PC (especially for gaming on my 720P TV set). Athlon X2 5600 with 8GB of RAM and a 1GB Radeon 4870. My processor is my weakest link, and I plan on upgrading that to a Phenom II X4 within a few months. Just waiting for the right price point.

Wallach

Javaman said:
I'm not sure either. I've got the newest version of GFWL installed. When I do manage to alt-tab out the cpu is running at 99% for the RFG exe. I managed to reduce the priority once, but it crashed right afterwards. I'm stuck in 1680 windowed mode now since it crashes each time I select video options.

Ouch.

Ironically, I hadn't updated the game yet and upon logging into GFWL and downloading the update, it failed to apply. :lol

Looking at the log, the Steam version doesn't create a registry key in the same path as the retail, but the patch is looking for that key to find the install directory. I created the registry entries and it installed fine after that.

If you guys are getting an error like "Failed to update, blah blah, see GFWL-log" or something like that, let me know, it's very simple to fix.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Burnout Paradise is great and anyone curious should definately try it at that price. It's only when grinding for 100% does it get tedious. It's also one of those 'racing' games where the racing is secondary to everything else in regards to fun. Go online and screw around doing challenges with people and it all makes sense...

Drewsky

Thinking about picking up Burnout Paradise and Bioshock. I own Bioshock on 360 but never finished it, and my 360 isn't reading discs at the moment so I might pick it up to beat it.

I have so many games to play already though...

noisome07 said:
People are giving guest passes away. I'm sure someone will invite you if ya just ask them :D

Is a guest pass just the demo though? I dont know if ill have time to download the demo and play it before the sale is up.

Lkr

I'm glad that Burnout Paradise has native support for 360 controller. 1920x1080, 8xaa, max quality and i'm at 60fps(locked vsync is on). looks great, runs great

Volcynika

bucknuticus said:
Is a guest pass just the demo though? I dont know if ill have time to download the demo and play it before the sale is up.

Guest pass is free access to the entire game for a limited time.

Proc

Drewsky said:
Thinking about picking up Burnout Paradise and Bioshock. I own Bioshock on 360 but never finished it, and my 360 isn't reading discs at the moment so I might pick it up to beat it.

I have so many games to play already though...

Bioshock is worth playing through and it won't take you that long to finish. I re-bought it when I found it for $24 and had a good pc to play it on. $5 is great, and it has 360 controller support if you have your pc hooked up to your hdtv.

Lkr said:
I'm glad that Burnout Paradise has native support for 360 controller. 1920x1080, 8xaa, max quality and i'm at 60fps(locked vsync is on). looks great, runs great
Oh man. Now you are tempting me to get it . . . it is just $7.50. Hmm. But I already have it for the 360 and I don't play that one! . . . . but I'm still tempted. Damn you Steam! :lol

Edit: I could ebay the 360 version and get this version for higher quality. Although I did give a 360 copy to my nephew so we could race but he never plays it.

datamage

speculawyer said:
Oh man. Now you are tempting me to get it . . . it is just $7.50. Hmm. But I already have it for the 360 and I don't play that one! . . . . but I'm still tempted. Damn you Steam! :lol

Hah, I'm in the same boat. I already have it on PS3 and I've barely played it. Yet I'm still tempted to grab it on Steam..

datamage said:
Hah, I'm in the same boat. I already have it on PS3 and I've barely played it. Yet I'm still tempted to grab it on Steam..
I like the idea of having my software always available in the cloud. I can't lose it. When I get a better PC, I can easily download it onto that new system. The PC versions can be better in that PCs evolve . . . consoles are stuck in the year they were released.

Well i went ahead and pulled the trigger on killing floor, for $5 who cares if its bad and i only play it for a few hours. Hows the single player on this? Is it just like the multiplayer but with bots?

bigswords

Rez said:
Don't blame MS's retarded GFWL shit on the RF devs.

I would blame volition devs for not providing the full patched install game to Steam instead.

GTA 4, no patching issue.
Batman AA no patching issue.
DOW2, no patching issue.
RE5 well I'm not sure whether there's a patch but yes no issues.

It's GFWL's fault for only looking for a default directory to install the update, but it's the devs fault for not providing the patched version to steam.

Toby

Burnout Paradise bought.
I think it will actually be a relief when this sale ends. I won't have to tear myself apart every time debating whether or not to buy. That and my backlog is getting so big now it seems useless to keep buying more games to pile onto it.

Rlan

I'm having a difficult time getting my Burnout Paradise to recognise my EA account. Is there some way on their website I can do this? Burnout wants a username, but EA use an e-mail address...

Lkr

speculawyer said:

Edit: I could ebay the 360 version and get this version for higher quality. Although I did give a 360 copy to my nephew so we could race but he never plays it.
Get it. It is so good, and it has so much content. If you have 2 controllers, you can play local multiplayer too(great for my HTPC, which runs the game near perfectly on 2xAA using a 9800GT)

Lkr

Rlan said:
I'm having a difficult time getting my Burnout Paradise to recognise my EA account. Is there some way on their website I can do this? Burnout wants a username, but EA use an e-mail address...
That confused me too. I just ended up creating a new account and went with it lol

and shame on you people who are double dipping on Bioshock :p

bigswords said:
It's GFWL's fault for only looking for a default directory to install the update, but it's the devs fault for not providing the patched version to steam.
I do not think the dev's should be providing a patched version GFWL. The real problem lies with whoever is making the call to that GFWL update's executable. They supplied the wrong command line argument. Not sure who is making that call though, but that should be the fix.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
bigswords said:
I would blame volition devs for not providing the full patched install game to Steam instead.

GTA 4, no patching issue.
Batman AA no patching issue.
DOW2, no patching issue.
RE5 well I'm not sure whether there's a patch but yes no issues.

touche

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I played Killing Floor for the first time today and it is great. I was able to get several of my friends to pick it up as well, and the few pugs that joined were good people to party with. Definitely recommend it.

Lkr said:
That confused me too. I just ended up creating a new account and went with it lol

and shame on you people who are double dipping on Bioshock :p

Why? I want to see the game with more effects and better resolution. And I can try keyboard/mouse with it.

Edit: Wait . . . you want me to double-dip on Burnout which is $7.50 but not GOTY Bioshock for $5?

Lkr

speculawyer said:
Why? I want to see the game with more effects and better resolution. And I can try keyboard/mouse with it.

Edit: Wait . . . you want me to double-dip on Burnout which is $7.50 but not GOTY Bioshock for $5?
I mean for the people that already had it for PC and are now buying the Steam version

MoFuzz

Does everyone get free guest passes when you buy Killing Floor?

where do I find them? I've got the game installed on Steam and everything...hmmm

EDIT: Thanks bros

Nelo Ice

Banned
MoFuzz said:
Does everyone get free guest passes when you buy Killing Floor?

where do I find them? I've got the game installed on Steam and everything...hmmm

yep everyone gets 2 guest passes and theyre under gifts on ur games page

So I bought the orange box because I have not played through episode 1 and episode 2, and the sale was to hard to resist. I had HL2 on my account already but I haven't played it since it first came out.

Anyway I was thinking about trying the fakefactory cinematic mod version 10 and I was wondering if anyone has any impressions of it?

Luckily its available on usenet so downloading it isn't a big deal even tho its a huge download.

Are there any downsides to using it other than it being demanding? Does it change the feel of the entire game? If so do you think it takes the game to far away from what the devs intended? Are the graphics really that much better in it? Any feedback would be helpful

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SuicideUZI said:
Anyway I was thinking about trying the fakefactory cinematic mod version 10 and I was wondering if anyone has any impressions of it?

Luckily its available on usenet so downloading it isn't a big deal even tho its a huge download.

Are there any downsides to using it other than it being demanding? Does it change the feel of the entire game? If so do you think it takes the game to far away from what the devs intended? Are the graphics really that much better in it? Any feedback would be helpful

Stay far far away from it if you respect Valve at all. Fakefactory not only looks awful artistically, it also adds/changes things in the game that completely ruin Valve's vision. This includes adding pine trees to random areas, messing with backgrounds (there is a huge bridge overhead at the start of Highway 17), and changing the lighting. The Half-Life 2 games look perfectly fine as they are. Valve nailed the art and it does not need to be changed.

The optional character models are especially offensive.

ultron87

Are there actually servers that still run for Unreal Tournament 3? Because I'm feeling some Unreal Tournament, and 13 bucks for every UT game (plus Unreal 1 and 2 *yawn*) is absurdly tempting.

Though even just getting a digital version of UT2004 would be nice...

ultron87 said:
Are there actually servers that still run for Unreal Tournament 3? Because I'm feeling some Unreal Tournament, and 13 bucks for every UT game (plus Unreal 1 and 2 *yawn*) is absurdly tempting.

Though even just getting a digital version of UT2004 would be nice...

Yeah, there are servers hosting UT3 games. There's not as many as say UT2004, but there's enough where you could usually find a few good matches going on.

Erudite

SuicideUZI said:
So I bought the orange box because I have not played through episode 1 and episode 2, and the sale was to hard to resist. I had HL2 on my account already but I haven't played it since it first came out.

I played with it when Orange Box first came out, back when it was only applied to Half Life 2 & Episode 1, so probably when it was named Cinematic Mod 7 or 8.

Looking at the recent screenshots of v10, it seems he's done more than just HD Textures this time around, so I can't really comment on how those changes effect the feel of the game. However, in regards to the upgrade in texture work, I felt it made the game even more appealing to look at, especially the models. I really noticed the difference going into Episode 2, because it wasn't available for Episode 2 at the time. I remember really missing the HD textures at times.

Only thing I would recommend turning off would be his completely different rendition of Alyx. If he still has the HD version of Valve's model, use it.

Edit:
Stallion Free said:
Stay far far away from it if you respect Valve at all. Fakefactory not only looks awful artistically, it also adds/changes things in the game that completely ruin Valve's vision. This includes adding pine trees to random areas, messing with backgrounds (there is a huge bridge overhead at the start of Highway 17), and changing the lighting. The Half-Life 2 games look perfectly fine as they are. Valve nailed the art and it does not need to be changed.

The optional character models are especially offensive.
Hmm. Only thing I remember from the older versions were the upgrade in texture- don't remember anything that drastic. Granted I did turn off any additional models he threw in.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Traced-Velocity said:
Hmm. Only thing I remember from the older versions were the upgrade in texture- don't remember anything that drastic. Granted I did turn off any additional models he threw in.

No, it is far from just upgraded textures. He has changed a lot more since those earlier versions. I didn't care for the mod when it was just upgraded textures either though. A lot of them looked like they had just been shoved through "sharpen" in photoshop and looked awkward.

ktulu said:
sloooow downloads for anyone else? or is it just me?

Yeah, I'm getting quarter of my usual speed. It was fine earlier today.

ultron87

Mine are pretty slow as well, but that might have something to do with me also DLing a WoW install and some torrents at the same time.

Top Bottom