• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Salacious Crumb

Firestorm said:
I have downloaded 43 GB of games on Steam in the last 30 days. And I still haven't downloaded all my purchases...

sda.jpg

The yellow bars are my steam downloads (far right column for numbers), and although we have arse backwards net in Australia most ISPs offer unmetered steam content. yellow=unmetered.

so thats about 56GB in the last 5 days.

Oops, just seven hours left on the Steam sale. Well, after missing a few deals I wanted the other day, this time I won't forget! Now, to pick up Prey-

Wat.

Edit: On the plus side, the LucasArts pack I wanted is still reduced for some reason, so I was able to buy that. The Star Wars pack is long gone, though. And I did actually want Prey, now that I finally have a PC that can run it.

Hey guys, just picked up Sid Meier's Pirates! but the game doesn't run in widescreen - I can force it to display in my resolution (1366x780) by editing a .ini, but it cuts off the HUD. Does anyone know of a hack/program/solution for my problem?

Blablurn

i just read that indigo prophecy doesn't work on netbooks at some point due to some problems with the QTE's.

so i bought audiosurf instead.

Everdred said:

Of course. :(

I feel bad for Criterion. Leading up to Paradise's PC launch, I was impressed by what they were doing to court PC gamers and the finished product is clearly polished and (imo) a very good game. However, EA's attempt to use this game to push their awful store kept me from buying the game at launch and is doing the same at this moment with DLC (flying Delorean), and I cannot be the only one. It's just my impression, but at a moment when I think it was becoming clear to everyone where EA would end up in regards to Steam, they made one last stand and a good game and quality studio lost out.

Firestorm

Doomslayer said:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q62/Doomslayer1989/sda.jpg

The yellow bars are my steam downloads (far right column for numbers), and although we have arse backwards net in Australia most ISPs offer unmetered steam content. yellow=unmetered.

Thankfully my ISP doesn't monitor bandwidth. Well, they say there's a 40GB cap but they don't actually have any way of checking it seems. If you go on their site it shows 0GB used no matter what if you're on the right lines. Apparently they only check their really low-end customers?

Nabs

Blablurn said:
i just read that indigo prophecy doesn't work on netbooks at some point due to some problems with the QTE's.

you made a good choice.

arg. i'm having a hell of a time buying anything on steam. it's coming up with all sorts of errors. i was able to buy mirrors edge & stalker on day 1 (took about 30 min), but i ended up missing out on torchlight, and i'm having trouble checking out w/ burnout. *shakes fist*

Delerat

Neo Member
faceless007 said:
Crash Time II looks pretty impressive, graphically at least, for $4. Anyone have any experience with it?
Haven't tried it though it looks purdy. Crash Time 3 is only $10 btw, if you wanted to go ahead and get the most recent one.

EDIT: @nabs - what sort of problems? I had some too. Steam was rejecting my credit card, then the next day they asked me to re-enter my payment info which they refused, I then got charged for a purchase without recieving the games. Now I'm having to get in contact with support and see if I can get my money refunded.

Nabs

Nabs said:
you made a good choice.

arg. i'm having a hell of a time buying anything on steam. it's coming up with all sorts of errors. i was able to buy mirrors edge & stalker on day 1 (took about 30 min), but i ended up missing out on torchlight, and i'm having trouble checking out w/ burnout. *shakes fist*

oh ffs. buying shit through steam was the problem all along. going to store.steampowered.com solved my problem in seconds. =\ =\

I'm contemplating getting the Orange Box at the current daily deal price, but I can't help but feel that it'll drop even cheaper during the year, plus I have other games to play at the moment. Any thoughts?

Firestorm

the_concierge said:
I'm contemplating getting the Orange Box at the current daily deal price, but I can't help but feel that it'll drop even cheaper during the year, plus I have other games to play at the moment. Any thoughts?
yeah
shut your dirty whore mouth and buy orange box now

The M.O.B

Just got finished playing a couple rounds of Killing Floor on single player. The game is rough but addicting. After all of 30 minutes I think it is worth the 5 bucks.

the_concierge said:
If you haven't played any of the games in it, then it's basically the best deal ever.

RJT

the_concierge said:
If you never played Halflife 2, you must buy Orange Box now!

Between it, Portal and Team Fortress 2, one of those games will be in your top 10 ever. Satisfaction Guaranteed*

Bad taste in gaming is not considered a bug, and therefore not eligible for refunding. Please check Steam's condition before applying.

Yasser

Blablurn said:

good choice, audiosurf is fantastic

Leatherface

So while we wait like crack heads for the next round of deals, lets have a little fun. Let's post games still available for $10.00 or less that we've purchased and are worth every penny. No more than 3 games and they can't be todays specials of the day. I'll go first. :D

1. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory- Never played this before. Fantastic game. Especially for a mere $5! I just picked this one up a few nights ago and I'm loving it!

2. Knights of the Old Republic- Fantastic RPG!

3. Plant's vs. Zombies- If you still haven't bought this game, DO IT!! One of if not THE best Puzzle/Strategy games of 2009!

Yasser

Leatherface said:
So while we wait like crack heads for the next round of deals, lets have a little fun. Let's post games still available for $10.00 or less that we've purchased and are worth every penny. No more than 3 games and they can't be todays specials of the day.
Beyond Good & Evil
Audiosurf
Outrun 2006

those combined for me are less than £10 and i couldn't be happier

I do hope that Altitude gets a daily either today or soon. I already own it, and it worth much more than it costs now. I don´t need a daily special for myself, but for others, so that more people gets around to play this multiplayer gem. Its tragic that it doesn´t even show up on the steam stats pages for the most played games.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Yasser said:
Beyond Good & Evil
Audiosurf
Outrun 2006

those combined for me are less than £10 and i couldn't be happier

Nailed it. These are the three I'd suggest to anyone.

Gowans

For the price of a Sandwich and Drink I'lll grab The Killing Floor.

Add me to your steam friends guys Gowans007, hope its fun.

confused said:
Has left 4 dead 1 been a daily yet ? And is it still worth getting / how's the community ?
It hasn't been a daily yet, and it is still worth getting. The community is still large and there are still regular GAF Versus matches on it. The Versus learning-curve is a tad steep so don't be surprised to be kicked in your first few games with randoms.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Got zombie driver and day of defeat source yesterday. zombie driver is pretty fun in a mindless way i have been enjoying so far. Day of defeat source feels like a step back from TF2, still i played two hours and had fun.

Papa

Banned
Doomslayer said:
sda.jpg

Hold on... are you with Telstra? I thought they counted steam downloads towards your quota?

datamage

I'm still on the fence about Killing Floor.. it's only $5, but that's how the rest of the sales have gotten me. :lol:

Anyone have a guest pass left over? And how big is the download? Would like to know if I could try it out before the sale ends.

JoeBoy101

Leatherface said:
So while we wait like crack heads for the next round of deals, lets have a little fun. Let's post games still available for $10.00 or less that we've purchased and are worth every penny. No more than 3 games and they can't be todays specials of the day. I'll go first. :D

1. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory- Never played this before. Fantastic game. Especially for a mere $5! I just picked this one up a few nights ago and I'm loving it!

2. Knights of the Old Republic- Fantastic RPG!

3. Plant's vs. Zombies- If you still haven't bought this game, DO IT!! One of if not THE best Puzzle/Strategy games of 2009!

1) Stalker
2) Defense Grid - OH MY GOD, this! I am completely in love with this game, though the Focal Point Level keeps whopping my ass.
3) Pirates! (? Still under $10 I believe, Old School gaming with a graphics upgrade)

adg1034

Bootaaay said:
Hey guys, just picked up Sid Meier's Pirates! but the game doesn't run in widescreen - I can force it to display in my resolution (1366x780) by editing a .ini, but it cuts off the HUD. Does anyone know of a hack/program/solution for my problem?

I had the same issue. It doesn't work. Great game, but you have to suck it up and play in 4:3. I've seen people force it to play in other resolutions, but it doesn't render in widescreen; it just stretches the image to the new ratio. Sorry.

datamage said:
I'm still on the fence about Killing Floor.. it's only $5, but that's how the rest of the sales have gotten me. :lol:

Anyone have a guest pass left over? And how big is the download? Would like to know if I could try it out before the sale ends.

Add me on Steam and you can have one of mine: ukbrainstew

JoeBoy101

BTW, for those that have bought GTA IV, I played around with my configuration tremendously last night and stumbled upon a major frames per second improvement. On the settings, put Shadow Density to 0. You will not see any significant drop in quality, but it sent my stuttering issues to almost nothing, even with Textures at High. Not sure what causes it, but the Shadow Density causes stuttering even with console settings and is especially bad during weather and nighttime.

Wow, I really cannot say enough good about Paradise (and I was wrong about it being too easy). I hope a good number of people picked it up as it deserves the loving.

Funny that when I found out I needed to head out early today, the only thing that crossed my mind is that I would miss out on first dibs on today's deals.

Takuan

Any central/Eastern Canadians know if Rogers excludes Steam bandwidth? I'm gonna guess they don't since they're run by sex perverts and other such social deviants, but if some Aussie ISP has the good graces to exclude Steam downloads from the monthly quota, there's a chance in Hell Rogers does, too.

Although I've been checking my bandwidrh and there doesn't appear to be anything differentiating Steam bandwidth from regular bandwidth :(

I wanna download more games but can't

Brashnir

Leatherface said:

Titan Quest Gold - $9.99
Peggle Nights - $7.49
Heroes of Might and Magic V - $4.99

Nabs

matt404au said:
Is there a way to direct Steam to download only from Telstra servers?
file >> settings >> downloads >> pick your server there. There's an Aus (Telstra) option. I'm in America, so I don't know if there's anything else you need to set up with your ISP, but that'll get you started.

Top Bottom