• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2009 Begins! (Dec 22nd - Jan 3rd)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
StopIt said:
owns 75 games worth: $530.04 USD
■Member Since: September 12, 2003
■Member for: ~76 months
■$6.97 USD per month

Oh dear, I hate Steam, 4 clicks to buy games, really? REALLY?

I dread to think what todays deals will be.

(Yes, that is a day 1 Steam account, I never learn)

Wark

Stop It said:
Oh dear, I hate Steam, 4 clicks to buy games, really? REALLY?

I dread to think what todays deals will be.

I feel your pain. My wallet has been crying the last couple days. The Steam holiday says always kill me.

Salacious Crumb

ElectricBlue187 said:
2nsvx1v.jpg

What steam skin is that? I wants it.

Max

I am not Max
I guess I should have asked whether Dawn of War 2 was still popular before buying, barely any games being played online :(

Dynoro

Max said:
I guess I should have asked whether Dawn of War 2 was still popular before buying, barely any games being played online :(
That should change a lot with the expansion pack release (which isn't too far away)

Xapati

Max said:

I never have trouble finding a game. The most I have to wait is about five minutes for matchmaking to find me a game.

Wark

I just purchased Mr. Robot with no knowledge of what it was and I'm loving it. The turn-based RPG battles kinda shocked me considering I didn't know what the game was. At a $1.99 I think it's a pretty awesome game.

I love these sales because the impulse buys lead me into finding new interesting games I'd never usually try.

Papa

Banned
Glad I was able to look past the Metacritic score and buy Killing Floor. My mate and I are having a blast!

Smash88

Banned
Can we start guessing what games will be on sale tomorrow? :lol

matt404au said:
Glad I was able to look past the Metacritic score and buy Killing Floor. My mate and I are having a blast!

Good on you, I'm glad that you are enjoying it.

matt404au said:

Metacritic scores are really way of sometimes. Broken Sword II has 67 or something like that, and its a really good adventure game that I can recommend to anyone.

ezekial45

Banned
CecilRousso said:
Metacritic scores are really way of sometimes. Broken Sword II has 67 or something like that, and its a really good adventure game that I can recommend to anyone.

Ugh, as if decisions weren't hard enough for all these games. Now the metracritic scores are misleading.

Smash88

Banned
ezekial45 said:
Ugh, as if decisions weren't hard enough for all these games. Now the metracritic scores are misleading.

It's mostly misleading for smaller/indie titles. For bigger games, pretty accurate for the most part. I personally like to see the metacritic+GAF impression to make my conclusion on a game.

Vormund

* Member for: ~61 months
* $13.66 USD per month

Set Region: US, UK, EU, AU
You own 106 games worth: $833.12 USD

It's actually the bolded part that disturbs me the most.

Also my in Steam community it says I have 125 games. Maybe it hasn't updated for a while.

confused

Banned
CecilRousso said:

For real. Apparently Prey is a better game than Mirror's Edge, Chronicles of Riddick 2 and Ghostbusters, at least according to MC

Dynoro

Vormund said:
Also my in Steam community it says I have 125 games. Maybe it hasn't updated for a while.
Yeah; mine's about 20 games short atm - so might not be fully refreshing during these sales

Smash88

Banned
Vormund said:
* Member for: ~61 months
* $13.66 USD per month

Set Region: US, UK, EU, AU
You own 106 games worth: $833.12 USD

It's actually the bolded part that disturbs me the most.

Dynoro said:
Yeah; mine's about 20 games short atm - so might not be fully refreshing during these sales

Those are editors, mods, etc... That is why it might seem you have 24 more games.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
matt404au said:

Although I like to read reviews to see how "professionals" views line up with mine, a games meta/gamerankings score pretty much has nothing to do with my decision to purchase a game anymore.

Sanjay

Max said:

As of now Dawn of War II players count, its not that bad.

Current Players Peak Players
3,120 4,786

azentium said:
My mistake. I assumed that, because Tales of Valor is a stand alone expansion, it would not require Company of Heroes or Opposing Fronts.

It does not, but if you already have Company of Heroes or Opposing Fronts the Tales of Valor download will only be 100mb so thats why you can't delete the original files. What you could do is try getting rid of everything then installing Tales of Valor then maybe it will install the full game and not just 100mb.

Dennis

Banned
Moobabe said:
Hoping for Men of War today. That and Mass Effect are the two I've been holding out for.
I hope so too. Not because I need those two games - I already have them - but because they are two of the greatest games of 2009 and everybody should get too play them.

Mass Effect is obviously a big hit but Men of War is an underrated gem - brilliant, but God is it rock-hard :lol

markot

Banned
Heh, I bought 'I robot' the day before but it was only 5 bucks on sale. Arma2 gogogogo! Cant think of much more I want. guess Ill wait and see.

Brashnir

_tetsuo_ said:
Although I like to read reviews to see how "professionals" views line up with mine, a games meta/gamerankings score pretty much has nothing to do with my decision to purchase a game anymore.

I still use the scores for those times when I see something cheap and it's not something I knew much about to begin with, or it's something outside my preferred genres.

Also, it's good to keep in mind that PC game scores tend to be a little lower on average than console games. I'm not sure if this is due to the game reviewers or due to less publisher pressure on the big review sites with PC releases or what.

I've just noticed over the years that there's a LOT of PC games in the 65-75 meta score range that are quite good, and not so many worthwhile console games in that range, though there are a few. (and usually those few are lower-profile releases)

Minsc

Gold Member
anachronous_one said:
Dear Valve/THQ,

THQ Complete Pack.
$50.
DO IT.

Thx,
A1

p.s. - Valve/EA, Mass Effect for $7.50 or less would be keen, too.

:(

beaten, but it's fun to rub it in. People need to stay on top of these steam deals!

DennisK4 said:
I hope so too. Not because I need those two games - I already have them - but because they are two of the greatest games of 2009 and everybody should get too play them.

Mass Effect is obviously a big hit but Men of War is an underrated gem - brilliant, but God is it rock-hard :lol

Mass Effect shows a release date of May 2008. That's why I would be disappointed to see it go for $10 instead of $5. Nobody owes me the game for $5, I'm just saying I would be disappointed to see it at $10.

Brashnir

Minsc said:

beaten, but it's fun to rub it in. People need to stay on top of these steam deals!

That's not to say it won't happen though. There have been other repeat deals between the BF weekend sale and this one.

hamchan

anachronous_one said:
Dear Valve/THQ,

THQ Complete Pack.
$50.
DO IT.

Thx,
A1

p.s. - Valve/EA, Mass Effect for $7.50 or less would be keen, too.
I'm also waiting for the THQ pack. When it was on sale before I was in Japan with no internet access. Bah!

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Littleberu said:
The Pack was on sale before christmas. You MISSED.
Minsc said:

I KNOW. It was during Black Friday; I'm hoping for a repeat sale. I didn't have the spare cash at the time, and now I do. Being fiscally responsible is a bitch. :((

hamchan said:
I'm also waiting for the THQ pack. When it was on sale before I was in Japan with no internet access. Bah!
Here's to hoping! :)
Brashnir said:
That's not to say it won't happen though. There have been other repeat deals between the BF weekend sale and this one.

Member for: ~75 months
You own 32 games worth: $217.97 USD

Over 6 years? Jesus. I was 13 when I joined. :lol

32 games isn't much but if it calculated total time played I dread to think what it would be. In the THOUSANDS, no doubt, due to my obscene obsession with Counter-Strike.

Let's go again! I am not going to stop till someone wins :p

If anyone can guess two of today's deals (just the game names, not the price), then I will gift you a game of your choice (under/around $20) on Steam.

Just pick five games, like this:

...and if two are right you win!

If a few people guess right, then the first person to get two right wins. No multiple winners, or I will be poor.

Guesses stop around 1 hour 40 minutes from now, ending 10 mins before the deal goes up (so, X:50 your local time).

Dynoro

Hmm here goes:

1 - Mass Effect (to cheer up a few folks)
2 - Borderlands
3 - Civ 4 CE
4 - Machinarium
5 - Sam n Max Season 1 and 2

Top Bottom