• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuBurns

Banned
Is the Dota 2 that people are winning the actual game or just a beta invite?

Funny you mention it, mine didn't say beta anywhere, nor did it say 'hardware survey' or whatever, and it was tradable, not just giftable like some of the others have been.

It's all the same thing though really, it's not like they're going to charge for it anyway.

Alucrid

Banned
So I got 50% valve and 50% gta:sa. What good are these exactly especially when it was all the games already seem to be at 50% off.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, this is getting kind of aggravating. After day 2 all I've been getting is coal for every single gift. I haven't even seen a shitty coupon in ages! The last 9 gifts in a row were all coal.

It feels like they've ran out of coupons and games and it's just coal coal coal. Day 1 I was getting a mix of all 3 :(

Artofwar420

Ok, this is getting kind of aggravating. After day 2 all I've been getting is coal for every single gift. I haven't even seen a shitty coupon in ages! The last 9 gifts in a row were all coal.

It feels like they've ran out of coupons and games and it's just coal coal coal. Day 1 I was getting a mix of all 3 :(

I sincerely recommend you and other people with many coals to check out the trading/gifting thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456133

Then again if you guys want to take a chance at crafting a game, go ahead. I already got burned with a copy of Phantom Ops, one of the worst rated games on Steam for my 7 coals.

2089802-untitled1.png

Blizzard

Banned

Just wait until the end of the sale, when all the potatoes coal is used to supercharge the countdown to Episode 3 and cause it to unlock 4 days a few hours early!

11 objectives
25% off Valve (already own everything)
33% off Valve (ditto)
50% off VVVVVV (already own)
50% off Bastion (already own)
Torchlight (already own)
7 coals --> 33% Square Enix/Eidos (already own everything I want)

:lol

coopolon

Do the non-game achievements work like the game ones? I can do them now and they'll just get me stuff the day Valve makes them the active ones?

The trading one definitely didn't. I had traded several times before today but had to trade again to get the gift. I imagine the Steamguard will work though, it'd be...not good if they made everyone reset a security feature.

Anyone have any gift ideas for my Dad? He likes strategy games, such as Total War and Civilization. However, it needs to be a game that can run on a newish laptop with integrated graphics.

GalCiv2

Or Total War: Shogun 2 for $7.50 on Amazon right. It is Steamworks. Plus you'll get a $5 voucher to buy certain PC downloadable games in January. Can also buy the DLC and each one will get you another $5 voucher, and one of them (the blood pack) is only $.50.

coopolon

This treasure hunt is really not worth hunting down hard achievement in sucky games, even f2p ones. The vast majority of the time you're going to get a shitty coupon or coal (which turns into a shitty coupon).

I feel like the Daily Deals were more impressive last year. It's a shame that other sites are getting better deals.

Many thanks to Chesskid1 and their thread for making me aware of Deus Ex: HR being $9.99 on Amazon.

Summer sale had some nice deals but the prices have been fucking awful for the winter sale considering other distro services have stepped up their discounts dramatically. Arkham for 25 and Rage for 15 seem like the best ones so far, but Saints Row 3's price is downright offensive considering multiple places had that as its launch price.

Bebpo

Banned
I sincerely recommend you and other people with many coals to check out the trading/gifting thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456133

Then again if you guys want to take a chance at crafting a game, go ahead. I already got burned with a copy of Phantom Ops, one of the worst rated games on Steam for my 7 coals.

Trading doesn't work as well when you basically own every game on steam that's under $20 haha. No one is going to trade you a copy of Skyrim or something in the $30-50 range for some coal :p You gotta win that stuff yourself!

Artofwar420

Summer sale had some nice deals but the prices have been fucking awful for the winter sale considering other distro services have stepped up their discounts dramatically. Saints Row 3's price is downright offensive considering multiple places are offering it up for more than 10 dollars less.

Competition is good; it should make Steam step up their game.

I guess I'm just happy I got Portal 2 gift copies for a pretty good price.

For myself I got these:

Costume Quest
Psychonauts
Swords & Soldiers HD
Audiosurf
Defense Grid: Portal DLC

I don't like to admit it but I might have hit a point where I already got most of the games I want.

Artofwar420

Trading doesn't work as well when you basically own every game on steam that's under $20 haha. No one is going to trade you a copy of Skyrim or something in the $30-50 range for some coal :p You gotta win that stuff yourself!

If you've got 30-50 coals someone might take up your offer, but yeah I too had most of the cheaper games that I wanted. I guess if you have a game you want and it's within the types of games circulating around, then I'd say it's wiser to trade your coal instead of risking getting coupons.

Plasmid

So for the trading objective are we allowed to ask about trading coupons?

I have a 25% off valve coupon. just started the gift sale thing today lol.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I just got a 66% off for mw2. I can't believe Activision is giving something more than a 50% off O.O

huh... i bought myself Train Simulator, bought another copy for a friend, and now I find I have a 3rd in my inventory .. odd. might give it to my dad i suppose

edit: oh now frozen synapse too, meaning it's the gifts i've just sent showing up in my inventory. do they normally do that until collected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom