• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's several games that have multiple holiday achievements, just none that have had more than one achievement be featured. Seems like games they'd refeature later on in the sale along with their other achievements.

I doubt any game will get multiple achievements to feature as daily objectives, whether on one day or spread across multiple days. I'd say one per game will be the norm.

Should I get Skyrim now or wait? (I won't play it for a month or two)
I've seen some 33% off Skyrim around the web. I think the best thing you could do is to try to trade that coupon for coal or something and then you could use it and buy in a couple of months without losing money (or you could have luck and get if cheaper if they do a Skyrim Midweek Madness or Weekend Deal).

Shaneus

This is why I'm so done with Xmas achievements. It's fun earning them but the payoff sucks.
Yah, same. The last sale with... um... I forget the theme, but majority of the stuff I won I haven't used so I'm just not bothering with this one and just focusing on sales. It blows for most though that there's not some algorithm so that people don't get dicked around with coupons for games they have or genres they couldn't stand. But oh well.

Bliddo

I'm very happy so far with my gifts! I just was given a copy of the Witcher 2 for one of today's objectives! That's on top of the DOTA2 key I got earlier in the sale.

I hate you :.(

2512.png

18x coal
1x the witcher EE (that I gave to a friend since it was my 4th copy of the game)
useless coupons.

Bring it on :mad:

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Any UK dweller able to send me a copy of Skyrim for £23.44? I can reimburse via PayPal. Local 'deal' is nearly double that.

Anybody? I'll be in bed in a couple of hours and the deal will end while I sleep.

I like this competition better than the summe camp. I rather take the chance to win some good games, than to just spend the tickets on some pretty worthless DLC.

But I think many here are doing it wrong, when they purchase new games just for the achievements. If you do that, then you´re just paying for games you don´t like, for the chance to win games you might also not like.

I´m still hoping for The Witcher 2, FM2012, Red Orchestra 2, Payday or DOTA 2.

jediyoshi

I like this competition better than the summe camp. I rather take the chance to win some good games, than to just spend the tickets on some pretty worthless DLC.

Worthless DLC for games you have/Games > Worthless coupons for games you already have/have no intention of buying/aren't worth flipping towards other people for trade

Worthless DLC for games you have/Games > Worthless coupons for games you already have/have no intention of buying/aren't worth flipping towards other people for trade

Well, I´m not disregarding the chance to actually win some good stuff also.

I do like the idea of getting DLC like in the summer sale better, but the DLC packages which where available then was really really bad.

For the games I owned then I could get:

*Goggles for Portal 2
*A helmet in Dawn of War II: Retribution
*New levels for AaaaAaa - a game that already had 81 leveles
*Some stuff in Team Fortress 2

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I finished off Sonic Generations and I thought it was great. So glad I gambled on it for $15.

I hope this doesn't mean I'm turning into a Sonic fan now though. God.

elektrixx

Banned
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I finished off Sonic Generations and I thought it was great. So glad I gambled on it for $15.

I hope this doesn't mean I'm turning into a Sonic fan now though. God.

I was looking forward to finally playing it, but since Sonic CD released on XBLA I don't think it can be better than that.

pfkas

Conviction is hardly worthy of the Splinter Cell name. In stealthy terms at least. If you approach it with different expectations then it's OK.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So what's the deal with Bloow Bowl? It's 8 euros, I like the look of it but I have negative interest in sports/football so I'm guessing it's not the game for me?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I was looking forward to finally playing it, but since Sonic CD released on XBLA I don't think it can be better than that.

I haven't played that in forever. I remember enjoying it as a kid, but I was also a complete shithead, so yeah. Curious if I'd still like it.

A Steam release would be nice, Sega!

Leckan

For those who have played it: Is the entire COH pack worth it or should I skip the last one since I've heard it's not all that?

Merovin

Looks like I won't be getting the Steam achievement on Rise of Immortals, damn install button is busted for that game alone. Even more annoying since I started playing it with a friend and quite enjoyed it (maybe because so many people are awful at it, but is that kind of mean?)

1-D_FTW

My only problem with AYIM is that the world never turns the direction I think it should.

Oh and I just scored my first game gift: Railworks! I just wish it came with the DLC!

Went through this during the last achivement. Best thing to do is remap the controls. Put the tilts on the triggers of a controller. And flip what you'd think is the right way of doing it. Right trigger is the left. Left trigger is the right. This makes the game 1000 percent better.

Avocado

I got a Silent Hill Homecoming game coupon - anyone want to trade it for something? Perhaps TF2 keys if possible, or else just some other games.

So what's the deal with Bloow Bowl? It's 8 euros, I like the look of it but I have negative interest in sports/football so I'm guessing it's not the game for me?

It's basically a virtual interpretation of a tabletop game. The rules of the sport are more like rugby than american football. Everything (tackling, dodging, throwing and catching, etc) is decided by a 6 sided dice roll. I didn't care for it but if that's your thing might be worth a look.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
It's basically a virtual interpretation of a tabletop game. The rules of the sport are more like rugby than american football. Everything (tackling, dodging, throwing and catching, etc) is decided by a 6 sided dice roll. I didn't care for it but if that's your thing might be worth a look.

Thanks for the input, doesn't sound like my kind of game though. <3

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So finally got Batman AC downloaded and installed. How come it's installing Windows for Live when I thought Steam had deleted it?

StuBurns

Banned
I doubt any game will get multiple achievements to feature as daily objectives, whether on one day or spread across multiple days. I'd say one per game will be the norm.

I'm surprised, I just counted, and you're right, the games with like four achievements can't all get featured, unless Valve increase the amount of daily challenges.

I really wish I hadn't spent two hours getting that reindeer yesterday.

StuBurns

Banned
Not sure which one to get D:
If you only want one, get the second one. While I don't think it's as good, it has far more content, and it's only weaker by comparison, if you never play the first one you'll never know. It has the most active community and it's the one currently being supported by Valve. A no brainer really.

Question is there a point to have Left 4 Dead 1 installed? Everything seems to be migrating to part 2.

I like 1 more, specially the viewpoint.
I only have L4D2 installed personally. I don't play it very much, and my mate who I usually play it with only has the second one installed anyway.

1-D_FTW

So finally got Batman AC downloaded and installed. How come it's installing Windows for Live when I thought Steam had deleted it?

Haven't been following it too closely, but I think they immediately patched it back in since it was killing people's save files in the process.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Question is there a point to have Left 4 Dead 1 installed? Everything seems to be migrating to part 2.

I like 1 more, specially the viewpoint.

Both of them are very fun games. If you've never played any before, at least consider doing a run-through of L4D1 so you can appreciate the changes (particularly to melee) in the second. The closest comparison for me would be Doom 1 and 2 in that, while I think 2 is probably the overall better game and the engine improvements are great, it's nice to start from the beginning and experience how things progress.

If you only want one, get the second one. While I don't think it's as good, it has far more content, and it's only weaker by comparison, if you never play the first one you'll never know. It has the most active community and it's the one currently being supported by Valve. A no brainer really.

I'll get the second one then. I did play through the first one a very long time ago on the 360, so I don't remember it much besides being fun. If I enjoy this one I could always get the first one again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom