• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
FybXF.png

*sigh*

Holy crap. I'm also dissapointed, got a valve coupon, a shadowgrounds coupon, an EYE coupon from crafting 7 coals and a L4D2 which i crafted from 7 coals (and I already have EYE and L4D2).

I already own almost everything I want except Witcher 2. I guess I could use that SE coupon on Tomb Raider Underworld and I could give the 25% Arkham City coupon to a friend.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm disappointed by my coupons except Dota 2. To be honest, there really aren't that many games I care about I don't own, and the ones I do I could just buy. The chances of crafting a game I actually want are very slim, so I'm basically destined to be frustrated by this competition, it's my own fault in that regard.

I'm disappointed by my coupons except Dota 2. To be honest, there really aren't that many games I care about I don't own, and the ones I do I could just buy. The chances of crafting a game I actually want are very slim, so I'm basically destined to be frustrated by this competition, it's my own fault in that regard.

TBH I'm holding out for games I can gift to friends. That's what I did with Torchlight.

inky

So, today will feature sales of the past days again? Wasn't it like that last year?

I'm thinking yes, today will be a recap, then next week all new deals.

For all those disappointed with their coupons/coal so far (like me) just think we are only halfway there. Your luck might change =)

Volcynika

If there is a recap I expect "THIS SUCKS, I WANTED NEW ONES"

Though some games having more than one achievement might be solely for recap purposes. Who knows.

I never played a Tom Clancy game before, are they comparable to Metal Gear in regard to the sneaking aspect?

I am interested, what is the one game of the franchise i should get (not interested in getting all of them)? Reddit says Chaos Theory. do you guys agree?

StuBurns

Banned
I never played a Tom Clancy game before, are they comparable to Metal Gear in regard to the sneaking aspect?

I am interested, what is the one game of the franchise i should get (not interested in getting all of them)? Reddit says Chaos Theory. do you guys agree?

They aren't like Metal Gear, and yes, Chaos Theory is the best of the series so far.

I would say they're closest to the early bits of MGS4? But it's difficult to directly compare the two.

And yes, Chaos Theory is the only one you really need to get.

MRORANGE

Mafia II is fantastic.

only played for like an hour and I l already love the story, you guys need to pick this up when it becomes a daily. Thanks for Xelios for getting it for me from the Amazon store!

also the lighting and smoke effects in this game are amazing.

GGBLo.jpg

R3N6f.jpg

zV9bK.jpg

Leonsito

Mafia 2 is fantastic, I loved it, but the first Mafia has to be one of the best games of all time.

Also there is one mission in Mafia 2 that links to Mafia 1 that is mindblowing.

Quoting because this game definetely worth looking.

F!ReW!Re said:
Eschalon Book 1 & 2 are now on sale at the Steam summer sale;

Eschalon: Book I - $3.74
Eschalon: Book II - $4.99

Got book I gifted by a friend yesterday and I was immediately hooked! Although the graphics are nothing special, the sound and music are amazing! Game really has a great atmosphere and the dialog is surprisingly well written!
Now I haven't got Book II yet but supposedly it improves on a lot of things.

Some screens;

book1_shot4.jpg

eschalon2ye2.jpg

Eschalon-Book-I_2.jpg

Trailer;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGaE7C6VwaU

And that GODLY main theme song;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfBY3DggJU8

Definitely worth a pickup IMO.
I'm probably going to purchase book II before the end of the sale as well.

Cfuentes

Neo Member
FvXQb.png

So, what's next? crafting coupons?
The 50% Fallout 3 coupon for crafting coal was a very, very bad deal. Oh, and i already had Fallout 3 GOTY.

Thanks Gabe!

Thrakier

So I wanna buy a cool indie game for a friend of mine. He's more into action and shooter stuff, but I know he doesn't like "cute" things (f.e. he doesn't like typical nintendo games like mari or zelda). More of the "cool" stuff. He alrady owns Super Meat Boy. His Laptpo barely runs Witcher 1, so it isn't very powerful I guess. Any recommendations?

gdt

I'm having a weird problem with Rage (got it to run after installing the 12.1 preview drivers from AMD). Basically, in game, v-sync off (thought D3D is running in the background) I get super solid 60fps, and everything looks moves great, but I get horrendous screen tearing. The middle of my screen gets this pixellated look in fast motion. But with v-sync set to smart, my fps will drop a bit in some areas (like 45), and it will be super choppy at all times. Really stuttery when looking around with the mouse.

I would rather stick with the first option for the smooth motion, but fuck :/.

gdt

So I wanna buy a cool indie game for a friend of mine. He's more into action and shooter stuff, but I know he doesn't like "cute" things (f.e. he doesn't like typical nintendo games like mari or zelda). More of the "cool" stuff. He alrady owns Super Meat Boy. His Laptpo barely runs Witcher 1, so it isn't very powerful I guess. Any recommendations?

Jamestown

StuBurns

Banned

I don't know what you consider indie, but take a look at Killing Floor maybe.

EDIT: Hard Reset is on sale, and is great.

The 50% Fallout 3 coupon for crafting coal was a very, very bad deal. Oh, and i already had Fallout 3 GOTY.

Thanks Gabe!

I got a 50% Fallout 3 coupon as well. I already own both Fallout 3 and the GOTY version as separate games on my account. And to top it off, Bethesda went and region locked Fallout 3 for my country so even if by some godforsaken chance I wanted to use the coupon, I still wouldn't be able to.

Merry Christmas Gabe.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Nice to hear. Im little new on the forum so i dont know everything thats happen in here so i gonna give a shot for trading my bundle ;)

I've traded a fair amount of keys in here with people i've never seen (Juniors included) and I have never been scammed. People here are A-ok. You can always check the Buy/Trade/Sell thread in the Community board, they keep a track record of trades. And if somebody screws you over, post your events there, so that person will be flagged for everyone to see.

Nobody will actively punish the member (no mods will ban him, and so on), but people will hate him forever.

Lumine

I disagree with Mafia 2. I admit that the game looks quite beatiful and it starts very promising. The opening sequence(s) make it feel like the city is alive, but this quickly turns out to be the opposite. In fact the whole city is devoid of pretty much anything. Outside of visiting a few cloth stores there's absolutely nothing to do and the scripted events that make it feel like the city is alive at first, dissapear quickly. So all there's left are the missions, which wouldn't be too bad if most of the missions actually involved you doing something. However 80% of this game you'll just be driving back and forth between key locations in town. Once you arrive there you'll be fed a cutscene that slowly moves the story along. Unfortunately the story is probably one of the most mundane and forgettable mafia tales you can imagine. Then you will have to repeat this again, possibly simply driving back to a previous location. That's pretty much the whole game outside a few duck&cover-shooter-like levels, which weren't too bad, but nothing special either.

It's a shame, the game did have a lot of potential and I really enjoyed the atmosphere. Too bad they actually forgot to build an engaging game for it. I only recommend this game if you can pick it up cheap($5) and go in with low expectations. You'll enjoy a few hours(it's short) of its authentic atmosphere, pretty graphics and general polish. Possibly even collecting cars. Otherwise skip it.

vazel

Banned
The only people disappointed in Mafia 2 were the ones expecting a GTA-like game. People wanting another game like the first one were satisfied.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The Dota 2 gift, ( hardware survey ) you instantly get dota 2 beta as soon as the survey is taken correct?

edit : yeah, that's how it works.

Lumine

The only people disappointed in Mafia 2 were the ones expecting a GTA-like game. People wanting another game like the first one were satisfied.
That's an awkward generalization. I liked the first Mafia much better and I picked up 2 with very low expectations. So what you're stating is simply not true, at least not for me. If you disagree with me that's fine, but I'm sure people would be more interested in reading what makes it a good game in your eyes rather than this nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom