• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vazel

Banned
That's an awkward generalization. I liked the first Mafia much better and I picked up 2 with very low expectations. So what you're stating is simply not true, at least not for me. If you disagree with me that's fine, but I'm sure people would be more interested in reading what makes it a good game in your eyes rather than this nonsense.
Mafia was never about side missions and picking up prostitutes. The city is only there for atmosphere. If you're wanting a city full of things to do you should play GTA or Saint's Row. Mafia has always been about the linear story missions.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Yeah, I know a few people who loved the first Mafia, but weren't satisfied with the sequel. The ending to M1 had a lot more impact, I think; M2's was so abrupt.

Still thought the sequel was a fantastic game, though. Loved driving around at night, listening to music. Incredible soundtrack.

inky

Crimecraft is a crime againt humanity. I would even consider it worse than Rise of Immortals, but that thought path only descends into madenss. :p

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
You have to win the option to take the survey?

The survey itself is merely redundant and just a way for you to get into the beta, you're literally getting the game since getting that gift-survey means you got in, i.e you're "passing the survey" 100%.

Darryl

Banned
You have to win the option to take the survey?

I don't even know if there is a survey. I didn't take one, I just got this gift (the hardware survey one) off an achievement for Spiral Knights, noticed it in my games list and clicked install.

Never took any survey at all.

Lumine

Mafia was never about side missions and picking up prostitutes. The city is only there for atmosphere. If you're wanting a city full of things to do you should play GTA or Saint's Row. Mafia has always been about the linear story missions.

I grant you that, but in the first one there wasn't much of city anyway. Yet it had way better, longer and more varied missions. I might be remembering the game here better than it actually was, but to me the first mafia felt like an actual game. I'm not saying Mafia 2 should be GTA-like nor do I think that, but as it is, it's barely a game at all. You mostly just drive back and forth between points A, B & C. The game's focus is its story, but I couldn't have cared less about any of the stories' events or characters. If it weren't for the nice atmosphere and graphics the game wouldn't have any redeeming points left. I never said nor even want Mafia 2 to be GTA-like, I'm simply sharing what I thought of the game on its own. It's a game I have a hard time recommending to everyone because I didn't think it was very good.

vazel

Banned
I grant you that, but in the first one there wasn't much of city anyway. Yet it had way better, longer and more varied missions. I might be remembering the game here better than it actually was, but to me the first mafia felt like an actual game. I'm not saying Mafia 2 should be GTA-like nor do I think that, but as it is, it's barely a game at all. You mostly just drive back and forth between points A, B & C. The game's focus is its story, but I couldn't have cared less about any of the stories' events or characters. If it weren't for the nice atmosphere and graphics the game wouldn't have any redeeming points left. I never said nor even want Mafia 2 to be GTA-like, I'm simply sharing what I thought of the game on its own. It's a game I have a hard time recommending to everyone because I didn't think it was very good.
I was responding to this part of your initial post:
I disagree with Mafia 2. I admit that the game looks quite beatiful and it starts very promising. The opening sequence(s) make it feel like the city is alive, but this quickly turns out to be the opposite. In fact the whole city is devoid of pretty much anything. Outside of visiting a few cloth stores there's absolutely nothing to do and the scripted events that make it feel like the city is alive at first, dissapear quickly. So all there's left are the missions, which wouldn't be too bad if most of the missions actually involved you doing something. However 80% of this game you'll just be driving back and forth between key locations in town. Once you arrive there you'll be fed a cutscene that slowly moves the story along. Unfortunately the story is probably one of the most mundane and forgettable mafia tales you can imagine. Then you will have to repeat this again, possibly simply driving back to a previous location. That's pretty much the whole game outside a few duck&cover-shooter-like levels, which weren't too bad, but nothing special either.

It's a shame, the game did have a lot of potential and I really enjoyed the atmosphere. Too bad they actually forgot to build an engaging game for it. I only recommend this game if you can pick it up cheap($5) and go in with low expectations. You'll enjoy a few hours(it's short) of its authentic atmosphere, pretty graphics and general polish. Possibly even collecting cars. Otherwise skip it.
The story missions are all that Mafia is about. Wether you think the story and the experience the game provides is shit or not is your own opinion.

I'm new to this whole steam inventory business. Haven't really had a use for it until now.

So.

If i buy the indie bundle and add it to my inventory, will each title be added individually? I own three of them already, and am only interested in two more, and wouldn't mind just throwing the rest of them to random friends.

Is this possible?

Ifrit

I'm new to this whole steam inventory business. Haven't really had a use for it until now.

So.

If i buy the indie bundle and add it to my inventory, will each title be added individually? I own three of them already, and am only interested in two more, and wouldn't mind just throwing the rest of them to random friends.

Is this possible?

It's not possible, it's 1 code for all the games, you can't gift the one you already have unfortunately

Sysgen

The only people disappointed in Mafia 2 were the ones expecting a GTA-like game. People wanting another game like the first one were satisfied.

No. My experience. Drive 10 minutes across the city watch a cut scene. Save the game. Start the game, drive 10 minutes across the city again to watch the same cut scene. Stellar! Uninstalled it at that point. Further, nothing you did mattered unless you completed a mission. A horror show of game design.

vazel

Banned
No. My experience. Drive 10 minutes across the city watch a cut scene. Save the game. Start the game, drive 10 minutes across the city again to watch the same cut scene. Stellar! Uninstalled it at that point. Further, nothing you did mattered unless you completed a mission. A horror show of game design.
Why would you drive all the way to a mission to then quit out of it? So your complaint is that the game isn't autosaving for you every minute?

These forum arguments are making me deja vu to 2002 all over again. Sometimes I think it's a mistake to have made the Mafia games open world. People go in with expectations from other open world games and are disappointed.

Anyone hosting a Renegade Ops 4 pack with free slots?

I'd be interested to join a 4 pack.

I´m also interested in a slot if someone from the US could host, steam username = laaksomik

I'll put my hand up too, in Australia though. Steam = reptilescorpio

Just checking a final time if there would be any kind volunteer for hosting the 4-pack (pending that reptilescorpio & OniShiro have not already sorted out their copies through other arrangements).

Nightz

Just checking a final time if there would be any kind volunteer for hosting the 4-pack (pending that reptilescorpio & OniShiro have not already sorted out their copies through other arrangements).

How much is the 4 pack? If I have enough funds in my Steam wallet I may be able to do it.

Lumine

I was responding to this part of your initial post: The story missions are all that Mafia is about. Wether you think the story and experience the game provides is shit or not is your own opinion.

Yes of course it is. Isn't that what were discussing here? Our opinions?

I should probably clarify what I meant before then. One of the first missions starts out with you (Vito?) coming home. There is a lot of activity around the player. It's scripted but it's effective in what it does. The place feels alive and draws you in right away. I liked that a lot, you don't see this anymore in the rest of the game. The rest of the city/game feels barren compared to that. I understand that it wouldn't be feasible to do this for the whole city, but right now there isn't any incentive left to explore at all. Well, I guess you have those wanted posters...

Rather than being nitpicky about my post, taking things out of context and repeating what "Mafia is supposed to be all about," why not give some actual arguments as to what does make the game good in your eyes?

Sysgen

Why would you drive all the way to a mission to then quit out of it? So your complaint is that the game isn't autosaving for you every minute?

These forum arguments are making me deja vu to 2002 all over again. Sometimes I think it's a mistake to have made the Mafia games open world. People go in with expectations from other open world games and are disappointed.

Hey man, get real. It was the first time I was playing the game and yea I thought after driving across a whole city and watching a cut scene the game would checkpoint. How unreasonable I am because you know the game should make me do a pointless driving exercise again for nothing. Want to play the cut scene again, fine but you cannot quit the game unless you complete a mission so either you leave the game running or it's back to square one.... and you're defending this.

vazel

Banned
Hey man, get real. It was the first time I was playing the game and yea I thought after driving across a whole city and watching a cut scene the game would checkpoint. How unreasonable I am because you know the game should make me do a pointless driving exercise again for nothing.
Sorry, didn't meant to sound like I was snapping at you. That last part of my post wasn't aimed specifically at you. The first Mafia game got a lot of grief too because some people were expecting a 1950s GTA3.

Edit: Err, scratch that, first game was set in the 1930s.

Sysgen

Sorry, didn't meant to sound like I was snapping at you. That last part of my post wasn't aimed specifically at you. The first Mafia game got a lot of slack too because some people were expecting a 1950s GTA3.

To make myself clear I was enamored with the game till that point. It was so well done but one thing I won't put with is tedium and since I got the game for super cheap I wasn't going to put up with the save system. Happy holiday :)

1-D_FTW

So.

Is this possible?

Depends on the bundle. Some give you keys for each game, others like Humble Bundle give you a single key that unlocks them as a group. So no trading of redundant items. (Although beating the average in the Humble Bundle gives you 3 keys right now. There are 3 different groupings. So depending on what you have and what you want to give away, it's somewhat possible.)

McNum

Hmm, I was curios about Jamestown. For less than €4 for the deluxe version, I'll bite.

Now I need to add another game to my wishlist to keep it at 10...

Gileadxv

Banned
Crimecraft is a crime againt humanity. I would even consider it worse than Rise of Immortals, but that thought path only descends into madenss. :p

Ugh, that game is wretchedly horrible! It's fitting that for the achievement I was rewarded with a 50% coupon for a game that normally sells for $4.99 and is currently on sale for $1.25 (Blocks That Matter). CC has the distinction of being the only game to actually get me angry while attempting to earn the achievement during this Steam sale.

*And Yet It Moves earns an honorable mention for making me nauseous as I earned its achievement

zlatko

Banned
Happy Kwanza all. I'm excited to see what today brings.

For those interested:

Have:
-50% off Valve Coupon
Psychonauts

Want:
Left 4 Dead 2

PM me if interested. I'm willing to trade both for it. :)

Wasted two goddamn hours of my life for that goddamn CrimeCraft achievement to get a 50% coupon for Men at War: Assault Squad which already has a 50% discount

The coupons make no sense at all.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
New gift! It's a... 50% coupon off Cthulu + Breath of Death double pack... which costs €0,68 now. Merry Christmas :)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Costume quest's achievement is to play on Christmas day so I'm assuming that'll be one of todays deals.

I have that game so that's a start. At least on the achievement front. I did also get the Beat Hazard one out of the way already.

If we do get a recap, I hope Psychonauts is on sale again. Wasn't it 2.50?

Is today's -33% off Skyrim the best deal around the web atm? Is it worth getting if your the kind of person that is lukewarm to Morrowind and thought Oblivion was snore worthy?

Legit questions folks :), and Merry Christmas!

StuBurns

Banned
Psychonauts also has an achievement for playing on xmas, so you might be in luck.

EDIT: I can't stand Oblivion, but was blown away by Skyrim.

And to think I manage to get through two games of CC only to discover that my achievement didn't register on steam because of a fix I had to download. Next round luckily made me win the achievement.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Psychonauts also has an achievement for playing on xmas, so you might be in luck.

EDIT: I can't stand Oblivion, but was blown away by Skyrim.

I have 4.24 left so if it's on sale today again, I will hop on that. If not, then no game for me /weeps

Funny thing too is I want another ES game after I left my Morrowind discs on MI after my move. Would love the GOTY of that one to be on sale. Oblivion bored me early on and I just put it down too.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
What is giving you guys trouble with the Crimecraft achievement? A couple friends and I got it within 3 rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom