• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

Banned
"Coupons are valid on discounted items unless specified otherwise."

"(Valid January 2nd, 2012 through March 1st, 2012)"

That's fairly explicit. I guess we'll find out in a few hours.

Yeah but that doesn't mean it can't start working 1pm January 2nd. Valve's intention was for most of these to not work until the sale is over, they're not going to slip up and let it work in the last 12 hours of the sale.

Tymerend

Okay, so, Dead Rising 2: Off The Record... worth it for $20?

I even waited until the last day just to make sure someone at Capcom didn't have a head injury and mistakenly make something a daily dead.

Time to buy all the cheap or on sale games that weren't daily deals! Anyone have any recommendations?
Yup, this is what I'm doing. Funny that buying Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition and Dead Rising 2 equals almost as much (if not more) than the 20+ games I bought.

Thanks, Capcom. Really.

DMczaf

Okay, so now that I know there's going to be no daily deal, I am interested in DOOM and DOOM II, but here there's Final DOOM, The Ultimate DOOM, and DOOM II. Which is which and which ones should I get? Also, what mods should I use to update the games?

The Ultimate Doom is an expanded version of Doom 1

Doom II is Doom II

Final Doom is like a stand-alone expansion pack for Doom II

Berordn

I even waited until the last day just to make sure someone at Capcom didn't have a head injury and mistakenly make something a daily dead.

If you haven't played it yet, it's fun. They changed it to let you be a bit reckless though, with checkpoints everywhere and making the difficulty null.

Godslay

Banned
No one knows if the coupons starting on January 2nd means midnight or means once the sale is over.

If it's not a gold coupon then you supposedly can't do that. With that said it's possible that would work depending of the hours that the coupons activate. Long shot but it's not like you lose anything by waiting to try it out.

Thanks for the replies. It's not a gold coupon, so I might be out of luck. I have a ton of Valve coupons, hopefully I'll be able to use one.

Digishine

Banned

Play Dead Rising 2 Vanilla it's better. cause that's the real story. If u don't give a crap about the story but about all the fun what u can do with zombie's then Off The Record.

Minsc

Gold Member
Okay, so now that I know there's going to be no daily deal, I am interested in DOOM and DOOM II, but here there's Final DOOM, The Ultimate DOOM, and DOOM II. Which is which and which ones should I get? Also, what mods should I use to update the games?

All of them. And use zDoom (auto-detects your Steam install & everything). Enjoy enchanced, 1080p widescreen m+kb Doom like never before. Depending on your iD catalog you may want to look in to a package deal.

I don't think I'll be buying anything today..

No, not like that, like this!

Time to buy all the cheap or on sale games that weren't daily deals!

GAF, Serious Sam HD: Gold Collection is $4, and I've heard good things, but I'm not a big FPS fan. Is the game silly/have some sense of humor? I think I saw it compared to Bulletstorm (which I loved), so I'm wondering if it would be a good buy (not really interested in MP, but like co-op; prefer SP).

The Serious Sam games are delightful throwbacks. They're very fast paced and have a tactical quality to them that isn't really evident in modern games. "Tactics" here doesn't mean "diving between chest-high walls." It's more along the lines of "instantly absorb the entirety of your entire visual field and run like hell to the place that won't get you killed while prioritizing the threats and choosing the best weapon for each accordingly."

It doesn't take itself seriously in narrative and Sam does have some quippy one liners and such, but I wouldn't say humor is the main pillar of the game.

Scum

All of them. And use zDoom (auto-detects your Steam install & everything). Enjoy enchanced, 1080p widescreen m+kb Doom like never before. Depending on your iD catalog you may want to look in to a package deal.
Sweet! I got the iD package deal instead a while ago. zDoom it is then. :D

SorchaR

Well, that was a meh sale.

Between the three of us we got:

Orcs Must Die
Costume Quest
Neverwinter Nights 2 Gold
Hard Reset

We got Portal 2 for free but don't want it, I'm still hoping to trade it for Secret of Monkey Island for my daughter. If I don't get any takers on that, I'll buy that for her myself.

I did pick up Baldur's Gate 1 from GoG today.
I hope Amazon downloads will be available in Europe soon, they seemed to have had deals that were far more interesting.

Is there already/going to be an "overlooked sales" thread? I have $4.97 left in my wallet for the sale and I'd love to grab a few more indie games
Probably not since Salsa did the one last year. That might be a good place to start. Otherwise do it the manual way. Go here and download demos of anything you find interesting and/or search for more info (GAF impressions etc).

There is (as always) always the next sale...

Blizzard

Banned
Wait, there are new game restrictions on the coupons, as if they weren't already restrictive enough? D:

Also the main page says new deals start in *countdown* even though this is presumably the last day.

PaulLFC

So Steam frontpage says AC: Revelations is 50 % off. Yet going to the store page reveals only a 25 % discount ? Fuck you UBI.
Ubisoft with the COD-level discount. When will they learn that good deals equal more sales? I bet LA Noire sold more copies yesterday than it sold in its entirety on Steam before the sale.

I can't even bring myself to buy Brotherhood, it's still over a tenner and considering the prices I've got other games for this sale, that's too expensive.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Lost Planet 2 or Bulletstorm.

Hard Reset will be on sale often for 5 dollars.

LP 2 is the likely choice since it's 66 percent off and Capcom, is well Capcom.

But EA is quickly becoming Capcom. So who knows when/if Bulletstorm will ever hit 4.99 again.

So my vote is which ever of the two you'll think you'll play first.

Now I'm regretting not getting Bulletstorm for $5. But I already beat it on 360 and I doubt I'll ever replay it.

There are 35 million Steam users (says Wikipedia) its silly to place complete blame on fabled farmers.
There are people who have farmed the shit out of the gifts, so I don't know what your point is with this part of your post. They're not fabled, they exist. I'm sure they weren't the sole reason why the 3rd party gift pile was depleted, but they sure did their part. It's sad that people are so greedy for free stuff that they used multiple accounts.

Too much money spent :/

My damn haul for the sale:
MYAcp.jpg

XyN9z.jpg

dqV44.jpg

O3ONK.jpg

ygeas.jpg

Edit: this is a perfect post for the end of a page.

Kammie

Guys, I'm looking to join a Super Street Fighter IV four pack. Game is not available in my region so I can't host, though. Will Paypal the money over! Please let me know. Will keep an eye on the thread.

Unison

Guys, I'm looking to join a Super Street Fighter IV four pack. Game is not available in my region so I can't host, though. Will Paypal the money over! Please let me know. Will keep an eye on the thread.

I can host... and I already have one more...

Just need a 4th!

$15 for Super SFIV AE!

Raxus

A lot of people overlook this: "Excludes titles released after January 2nd, 2012."

Doesn't matter. DotA 2 is going to be free to play. I can almost guarantee it, moar hats and all. The in game store is pretty much a dead give away.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm half sold, but I need more than that!

I've been gushing about it endlessly and no one ever reads my posts because yeah, but I'll say this which should hopefully sway you: it feels tight and responsive as fuck. I'm not really sure what sort of magic they used here, but everything is instant, precise. Entire game feels fluid, but the aiming in particular, they nailed it. No I-can't-turn-it-off-ahhhhh mouse acceleration or odd funky lag or any of that garbage. Controls are flawless.

Also, double-barreled shotgun is the stuff of dreams.

Wolfie5

bought Orcs must die and Shank. Thinking about LA Noire, though I have enough of a backlog that will last me for a long time. I will wait for the summer sale.

web01

Could someone please tell me how much each
Total War Shogun, Dead Island, Deus Ex 3 and Skyrim cost on the US steam store?

I want to be part of this too because I want this game. So I'm in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom