• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zebra

It's shameful to admit, but it's taken a $1.99 price tag for me to finally get around to playing Half Life 2: Episode 2

larvi

Any opinions on Sacred 2? (I liked the first one)

One of my favorite ARPGs, if you liked the first you should like the 2nd. The bad part though is it has a lot of bugs. The Ice & Blood addon fixed quite a few them plus added some nice content but unfortunately it isn't available for the US version. I ended up buying a UK copy of Sacred 2 gold so I could get the addon. Lots of good info on the Sacred 2 wiki if you do end up getting it:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Fallen_Angel

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
heroest2k50.png

I just used the modified base.pak file. :p Every wave is a single regular zombie who becomes stuck to a side of the map.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Okay, what's the beef with Bunch of Heroes?

Is it that bad?

From what I've gathered having read a bunch of SPUF posts, the difficulty doesn't scale to the amount of players, there are no health pick-ups, and the respawn timer increases exponentially every time you die.

Bebpo

Banned
Can anyone confirm that once you craft 7 coals you won't receive any more coal in the future and every gift will be a coupon or game? That's how I read it...

Just crafted 7 coals and got 25% off one valve game coupon. Which is probably the worst gift you can get lol. Hope at least I won't be getting more coal from now on.

Eusis

Can anyone confirm that once you craft 7 coals you won't receive any more coal in the future and every gift will be a coupon or game? That's how I read it...

Just crafted 7 coals and got 25% off one valve game coupon. Which is probably the worst gift you can get lol. Hope at least I won't be getting more coal from now on.
That's what I thought, but I re-read it and realized what it REALLY meant: You craft 7 coal and you will be guaranteed a gift rather than using 7 coal to make 1 coal. At least, that makes a lot more sense to me, though with the coupons I guess it'd balance out and keep you from getting a free game for every achievement.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

No. What they mean is that when you go to craft, you will not get another piece of coal out of the craft. So, you will never be in a scenario where your 7 coal turns into 1 coal. You will always get a coupon or a game out of the craft.

Goody

Awesome. After spending a grand total of 4 bucks I now own all of the Half-Life 2 games. My current lap-top can barely handle the first Half-Life, so when I end up getting my new computer this Christmas, good times will be had.

Bebpo

Banned
Well that sucks hard.

I thought at least if you got 7 coals you'd be guaranteed a decent gift out of it (aka, a free game or good coupon), but since I got the worst possible coupon out of it and will probably keep getting coals in the future....odds are looking grim for great prizes.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Someone gifted me a game and I added it to my inventory.

I see. I bought a game as a gift and chose to add it to my inventory earlier today, and it took around two hours for it to finally show up in my inventory.

http://www.abload.de/img/gabeno7k7k.png

from 7 coal. Awesome.

Oh lord, what a waste of time. Now I'm apprehensive about investing any more time with this stuff.

Eusis

Well that sucks hard.

I thought at least if you got 7 coals you'd be guaranteed a decent gift out of it (aka, a free game or good coupon), but since I got the worst possible coupon out of it and will probably keep getting coals in the future....odds are looking grim for great prizes.
I'll reach for easy achievements (probably make some niggle nog), but I'd rather be playing some more enjoyable games than grinding for achievements and possibly have nothing to show for it. Especially once Christmas rolls around, with Super Mario 3D Land and Xenoblade all bets are off.

Mudkips

Banned
I did 8 achievements in a bunch of games I don't even care about, and I have nothing in my inventory.

Even installed TF2 to move shit around in my backpack, and still nothing in my Steam inventory.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
On the other hand, I just won Serious Sam: The Second Encounter HD for making diggle nog in Dungeons of Dredmor. I won something yay!

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I did 8 achievements in a bunch of games I don't even care about, and I have nothing in my inventory.

Even installed TF2 to move shit around in my backpack, and still nothing in my Steam inventory.

Absolutely nothing? Not even a coupon for checking your inventory?

Also, coal/prizes will only show when the achievements go live on the store page.

Mudkips

Banned
Absolutely nothing? Not even a coupon for checking your inventory?

Also, coal/prizes will only show when the achievements go live on the store page.

Absolutely nothing.
Didn't even get a prompt to check my inventory, didn't get an achievement for joining the holiday group or whatever.

Absolutely. Nothing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Mudkips, were they all games with featured/daily achievements? The achievements I've unlocked worked immediately.

I've just traded my three coupons (33% off Valve complete pack, 10% off SEGA games and 50% off Valve games) and 2 coals for a 50% off golden Valve coupon! Finally got rid of that shit, I guess I was a bit desperate and should have offered just one coal... But oh, well, I'll be able to save 2.5€ this sunday when Portal 2 is again a daily :D

Mudkips

Banned
Wait, what?

One of the sites in the OP said if you join the "Holiday Sale Community Group" you get an achievement.
Idunno.

Check Inventory Check your inventory - you've got a gift

Join Sale Community Join the 2011 Holiday Group
Trade Item Get what you want – trade!
Wishlist 10 Have 10 items on your wishlist
Write Recommendation Write a recommendation. - Must be a game you own
Link to Facebook Link to your Facebook
Setup SteamGuard Turn on STEAM Guard

I've done the bolded, no achievements, no gifts, nothing in my inventory.

Will you? The coupons don't work till the 2nd do they?
It's a golden one, it works during the sale!

Also, thanks again Wilflare for being always there to fight the evil euro/dollar conversion ;)

EDIT: Mudkips, those are leaked achievements. People found them in the Steam Translation server. It's like the game ones, until they are activated you won't get anything.

inky

One of the sites in the OP said if you join the "Holiday Sale Community Group" you get an achievement.
Idunno.

You have to wait until they appear as tasks on the main page, the same way people are unlocking achievements ahead of time for other games like Super Meat Boy, Toki Tori, etc etc. but have no presents yet.

That said, the "check your inventory" should be done by now. You probably just got coal, it took me like 24 hrs for mine to appear and even right now my Portal 2 inventory is not even there. Give it some time.

Mudkips

Banned
You have to wait until they appear as tasks on the main page, the same way people are unlocking achievements ahead of time for other games like Super Meat Boy, Toki Tori, etc etc. but have no presents yet.

That said, the "check your inventory" should be done by now. You probably just got coal, it took me like 24 hrs for mine to appear and even right now my Portal 2 inventory is not even there. Give it some time.

Well I'm retarded then. All the stuff I've done is for the future.

Don't know why the inventory one didn't work until now. (I got it to work now by going through the main store page, the main gift thingy page, and then clicking on the task through there. But I had done that before.) 50% off Valve game coupon. Meh.

KScorp

You don't actually get gifts until the achievements for the day go live.

For games, you can get all the cheevos you want, and you'll get the gift when that achievement becomes one of the "daily cheevos".

For steam achivements, you have to wait until the day the steam achievement goes live to get it. IE if you have 10 games in your wishlist now, or trade now, you won't get the gift when those two cheevos go live.

So what is worth less now? Regular coupons or coal?

I believe the order is Normal Coupons < Coal < Golden Coupons < Games.

Of course, there is lots of overlap, but that's the general state of things.

I'm at the top of the page for those with 50ppp, so here's a friendly reminder that a thread exists to trade away any gifts or coal you got for other things! Instead of trading in 7 coals for what could be a coupon, you might find a game you want for a lot less coals spent.

Steam Sale Gifting/Trading thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom