• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So what is worth less now? Regular coupons or coal?

Depends.

Coal can win you every single game on Steam. Coupons don't.

But the chance of winning the Grand Prize are so slim, the one that will win gotta be the luckiest bastard on the net.

KScorp

Depends.

Coal can win you every single game on Steam. Coupons don't.

But the chance of winning the Grand Prize are so slim, the one that will win gotta be the luckiest bastard on the net.

There's also the fact that 7 coal gives you a chance to get a game (or more likely another coupon heh).

Randomizer

So my first day of the sale and what a day it was.

Bought
Portal 2
Costume Quest
Psychonauts
Dungeons of Dredmor

Achievement Gifts

The Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena
Butchers Bay HD remake (included with above^)
Farm Simulator 2011 (Lol)
2 Coal
25% Valve voucher

Gifts
Half Life
Napoleon Total War

Total Spent £10

BY2K

Membero Americo
I don't have the games of today's achievement list and I don't have the money to buy anything until this week-end. So hey. :(

Nelo Ice

Banned
Amazon deals are live

Hopefully theres no ref link in there.

Steamworks Games
Total War:Shogun 2 $7.50
Sonic Generations $15

Theres also a 48 pack of Genesis games for $7.50 not steam though.

edit:Theres a Sega pack for $50 with I think everything on that page and renegade ops.

KScorp

So...

Game = 7 Coals in a trade?

Depends on the person, and the game. In the trading thread lots of games are going for only a few coal (1 or 2), but they're the more "common" games usually (where almost everyone on GAF has it, such as HL2 or Portal).

Big-E

We should determine what is the worst coupon. I got one for Trainz Simulator 12. I didn't even know there were other train games outside of Railworks.

Zzoram

I'm keeping all my lumps of coal. Not going to risk getting coupons. I'd rather take my 1 in 5,000,000 chance of getting every game on Steam.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I think I found a glitch with Steam and DLC. I bought the New Vegas DLC during the last sale as a gift because my actual retail copy still wasn't registered with Steam. I was visiting my parents and the game case was 2 states away in my apartment.

I just installed New Vegas and went to my gift section fully ready to e-mail myself the steam code like I thought I would have to. It had an option to "unpack the gift". I clicked that and nothing happened. When I went into the actual DLC's store page then it said I already had the DLC. I checked by right clicking New Vegas on the steam library and yep the DLC is registered with the account. Funny thing is that all of the DLC are still in my gift section ready to be gifted away.

Woo! So far, I won coal and a Valve 33% coupon by default, The Orange Box for the Orcs Must Die cheevo (already own it. Anyone wanting to trade?), and Call of Cthulhu for my Dungeons of Dredmor cheevo! Not too bad of a haul, if I do say so myself :).

Also, so has anyone confirmed for themselves that you still get your prize if you do the tasks early? Like, if you did the DoD one yesterday or earlier, did you still get it today?

Dynoro

Woo! So far, I won coal and a Valve 33% coupon by default, The Orange Box for the Orcs Must Die cheevo (already own it. Anyone wanting to trade?), and Call of Cthulhu for my Dungeons of Dredmor cheevo! Not too bad of a haul, if I do say so myself :).

Also, so has anyone confirmed for themselves that you still get your prize if you do the tasks early? Like, if you did the DoD one yesterday or earlier, did you still get it today?

I did the Dungeons of Dredmor achievement a few days ago and still got the gift

We should determine what is the worst coupon. I got one for Trainz Simulator 12. I didn't even know there were other train games outside of Railworks.
I still think my 10% off SEGA games is the worst one I've seen online. Unless yours is 10% off too, then you win hands down :lol

Now let´s go with my damages so far:

Games bought
Double Fine Double Pack - 5-ish € (thanks Wilflare!)

Achievements
2 lumps of coal
50% off Valve games (regular)
10% off SEGA games (regular)
33% off Valve Complete Pack (regular)

Trades
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (thanks Prezhulio!)
50% off Valve games (golden)

So... I'll buy Portal 2 on Sunday if it's a recap day (I sure hope so, I didn't buy it yesterday because I wanted to get the golden coupon first), and after that I'll think I'll try to get everything else trading if I'm lucky and get lots of coal, or I'll buy some games if they have insane discounts (which looking at past daily deals, doesn't seem likely). Not bad!

scitek

What do you think the odds are of Sonic Generations going lower than $15 on a daily deal? My roommate is debating on whether or not to go ahead and pull the trigger on it.

Eusis

I wonder if there's some good WB coupons? Because that might actually be worthwhile if they don't put War of the North or Arkham City on sale at all (though I do imagine they'll have dailies after the Origin sale on AC).
What do you think the odds are of Sonic Generations going lower than $15 on a daily deal? My roommate is debating on whether or not to go ahead and pull the trigger on it.
I'd wait and see if it's a daily deal today first. Don't think Amazon would pull it within 9 hours.

Cheesed AI War with a save file and played through Anomaly's first three missions to get the sale achievement. Anomaly is actually a pretty fun tower offence game. Like Jamestown and Dungeons of Dredmor, it's definitely a game I'll keep installed to play through after all of this.

Hylian7

NFYmG.png

Jtrizzy

It will probably go for 25% off sometime before the end of the sale. The question is which day.

I'll wait then, thanks. Never played either Bioshock, but I bet they look way better on PC. I don't want to buy both. Is not playing the first a bad move? Is there a big leap in graphics between the two?

scitek

I'll wait then, thanks. Never played either Bioshock, but I bet they look way better on PC. I don't want to buy both. Is not playing the first a bad move? Is there a big leap in graphics between the two?

There's hardly any graphical difference between the two. They were done by two different developers, though, and are stronger in different areas. 1 has a better story, and is sworn to be the better game by lots of people, but I thought the gameplay in 2 was better, specifically the shooting, and the story wasn't as good.

iammeiam

Gift Pile, 24 Hours later, is still telling me I don't have the Orcs Must Die achievement I can clearly see on my page.

Meanwhile, DoD today got me a lump of coal. Spiral Knights, however, gave me an amazing 50% Off Farming Simulator 2011.

WTF, Steam, WTF.

Zzoram

Gift Pile, 24 Hours later, is still telling me I don't have the Orcs Must Die achievement I can clearly see on my page.

Meanwhile, DoD today got me a lump of coal. Spiral Knights, however, gave me an amazing 50% Off Farming Simulator 2011.

WTF, Steam, WTF.

Is the farming simulator coupon gold or the normal blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom