• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sale 2011 | Valve Has Run Out Of 3rd Party Coupons/Games (Dec 19-Jan 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Playing Dungeons of Dredmore, it's a lot of fun, even if I'm terrible at it. My longest run yet was just ended after I accidentally drank poison and killed myself. Oops. My goal is to earn my first Xmas cheesemint but I'll probably keep playing after that, good shit.

Is it normal for Fraps and the Steam overlay to not work with DoD?
Use the -opengl line if you want the overlay in game. Not sure about FRAPS working with it or not.

Not sure about you but I play it as a timewaster/listening to podcasts so I turn off all the sound and play it windowed. If you play it windowed the achievements pop up like a notice would pop up when not playing a game any other time - just not in the game window.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't think they're nearly as well implemented as past contests. I have no interest whatsoever in earning tickets this time around, and I was pretty into it last summer.

Yeah, I get that the idea behind coupons is to gift them, specifically to people new to Steam, but they're pretty useless, especially when they're not even usable during the sale.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Loaded up Renegade Ops just to get the Winter sale achievement, ended up playing the entire Coldstrike campaign. Pretty good, actually.

I mean who are the coupons for?

They would be useful to me (and many others) if they didn't expire in march. Right now though? Less than useless.

I was just making fun of my own post.

But really, to your average gaffer, yeah probably worthless. But to people who don't check everyday or newer users, or even people who just missed out on the sales, they'll be worth just a little less than what people are saving. It'll be great to trade stuff for them come january.

Example: oh i see you have a coupon for 33% off portal 2! I missed it during the sale and thay will save me 10 bucks, but i'm fine only saving 5 by gifting a 5 dollar game for the coupon.

Sober

Yeah, I get that the idea behind coupons is to gift them, specifically to people new to Steam, but they're pretty useless, especially when they're not even usable during the sale.
I wish there were maybe more coupons that lasted for the sale like "5$ off orders with 20$ or more" or something, so that'd at least make people either reconsider buying more dailies or snoop around other specials and maybe buy them on top to put the coupon to use. At the very least people would buy all the stuff at once instead of piecemeal and get their CC deactivated accidentally.

Yeah, that's really the biggest problem with the whole thing. Coupons should feel like winning, it's telling that the lumps of coal are more highly coveted by many/most.

Valve should've made the coupons give 75% off, getting people interested in other games they might not have known about and getting them to continue to spend money after the sale. With the coupons giving less of a discount than the regular sale price there worthless.

All right, 50% off Sequence, highly useful to all Neogaf Members.

Do you still have your 50% off train simulator coupon?

Vamphuntr

Valve should've made the coupons give 75% off, getting people interested in other games they might not have known about and getting them to continue to spend money after the sale. With the coupons giving less of a discount than the regular sale price there worthless.

The most frustrating thing is that even if you use 7 coals to craft a gift, you might end up with a coupon instead of a game as a coupon is also considered a gift. It happened to a gaffer earlier.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Okay so Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition is 10 dollars on Amazon. Should I bite? Or wait?

$14.99/-50% on Steam right now. A daily deal is possible, which would probably be -66%/$9.99 or -75%/$7.50 at best. Hold out if you'd prefer to own it on Steam.

Okay so Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition is 10 dollars on Amazon. Should I bite? Or wait?
It's $15 now on steam, but I doubt it'll go on sale as a daily after what happened with Dragon Age 2. Buy it on Amazon if you could care less about steam integration.

No, that one expired. Was only good for about a week.
Ok, I was wondering how coupons would stack with another discount since it was the only one I had heard about before the sale.

Sinoox

Banned
Ugh man, this is my first real Steam sale I've ever been able to actually participate in since I've got a good computer. If I don't stop buying awesome games I'm not gonna have enough money to buy my family presents! I've gotta plan for this stuff ahead of time now! XD

I think my backlog is big enough where I won't run out of games to play anytime soon, I can say that for sure.

inky

The most frustrating thing is that even if you use 7 coals to craft a gift, you might end up with a coupon instead of a game as a coupon is also considered a gift. It happened to a gaffer earlier.

7 coals ---> random gift is excessive. 3 would've been fine, but I agree, coupons seem absolutely worthless for anyone who logs into Steam more than twice a year.

iavi

What video? I looked on YouTube and saw one where a guy hit the Alt button on his keyboard to make the game freeze and when he hit it again he was at the end of the level, but I couldn't replicate what he did for some reason. Is there another?

If you're talking about the "Kid's Xmas' Achievement, yep; it's in the OP next to the Super Meat Boy objectives.

catabarez

If you're talking about the "Kid's Xmas' Achievement, yep; it's in the OP next to the Super Meat Boy objectives.

So I did that little glitched way to get the Super Meat Boy Xmas Achievement and the second I got to bandage girl my game froze. I lol'd.

Speevy

Banned
How good would The Witcher Enhanced run on a laptop? I'm presuming it supports Windows 7 as well?

It depends on what laptop you're talking about.

It absolutely demolished my Intel 3000 system which runs several recent games. I had to crank all the settings to low so I could play, and that just makes it ugly, which the game doesn't deserve.

Alts

7 coals ---> random gift is excessive. 3 would've been fine, but I agree, coupons seem absolutely worthless for anyone who logs into Steam more than twice a year.

The gift/coal balance is such that for every 10 achievements, you get about 3.5 gifts (post coal conversion)

Speevy

Banned
You know, these coal/gift things are certainly exciting, but I bet people would have been more content if Valve had just given everyone Portal 2 (I mean generally, of course there are those who already have it).

Mush

It depends on what laptop you're talking about.

It absolutely demolished my Intel 3000 system which runs several recent games. I had to crank all the settings to low so I could play, and that just makes it ugly, which the game doesn't deserve.
Yf5bL.png

Bebpo

Banned
Won a free copy of Nail'd

One of the few games I don't already own! Woohooo

/cost so far to get that $7 game = 2-4 hours of time and $15 in game buying lol

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I think I might wait on getting Tropico 4. I got Tropico 3 on Steam and never played it, and I figure at some point Tropico 4 will probably be cheaper.

Petrie

Banned
Does anyone know if the Amazon Tropico 4 activates on Steam?

I have Amazon credit so even though my CC is blocking me from Costume Quest, at least I can grab this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom