• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Quick reminder, less than an hour to play what is my personal GotY.

Be sure to stop by the GAF server (quote OP of the BETA |OT| to see IP and password) if you win.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Starbound -- MB-BC88779E33838779 - Taken by -MD-. 74 entrants total.

t1387598454z1.png

YAefit6.png

Turfster

Can someone recommend me a story driven game or a game with a good story on steam.
I provably already owned or played most of the mayor ones. Any recommendations.

Remember Me has a really great story.
Be warned that the brawler is... somewhat repetitive and suffers from design issues (or I might just suck at brawlers)

Whats the word on Pinball Arcade vs Pinball FX? Is one better than the other?
Depends on what kind of pinball guy you are. Pinball FX basically does all sorts of "unrealistic" things with its tables, whereas Pinball Arcade actually recreates real world tables in meticulous detail.

I guess if you're a purist and want to play the classics, PA seems most reasonable. That being said I've had a lot of fun with Pinball FX. The closest analogy I can think of is PA = Gran Turismo, PFX = Need for Speed. Both have cars and tracks and things, and both are entertaining for their own reasons.

Hubb

Definitely not a bad purchase at $3. At $15 or 10 (what I've seen previously) it might be a bit harder to recommend unless you're really interested, but for $3 it's a solid purchase. It also looks pretty nice and runs well on my laptop so it seems well optimized.

I'm debating purchasing it and will decide before I go to bed. It likely wont go much lower in the future (1 dollar bundles), so I wont really lose much having it just sit in my backlog.

It is early access and hopefully the game will flesh out. The only thing really holding me back as I stated before is the online only. I understand why it is, but too many games are dead within weeks and even sales don't help because people see the forums claiming the game is dead and walk away.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Include the mb- part too. I just copy the whole line.
Edit: I am super slow, so I'll talk about something else. I really like the cards for the winter sale. The style of them and incorporating the little steam dudes is great. I got the x-com one and I really like the full artwork, made me download the x-com demo, haha.

Jawmuncher

I'm debating purchasing it and will decide before I go to bed. It likely wont go much lower in the future (1 dollar bundles), so I wont really lose much having it just sit in my backlog.

It is early access and hopefully the game will flesh out. The only thing really holding me back as I stated before is the online only. I understand why it is, but too many games are dead within weeks and even sales don't help because people see the forums claiming the game is dead and walk away.

Well he mentioned that it has the AI training so if that's already there they should be able to add a bot mode. If not some sort or SP ladder type thing. Might be worth bringing up in the development.

Coppanuva

True, I can see that worry. My guess is the game won't be wildly popular, but the fanbase it does have seems like they play regularly enough that you'll get some good matches. Even now the server browser isn't massively populated, but people playing seemed to know each other and enjoyed playing it.

AsylumX

Nuuvem for brazilian.

I hate nuuvem, i don't know how to use my credit card in that page....

Fear not brave Gaffers! I have bought Blade Symphony and started playing it and returned with some early impressions! So far I ran through the tutorial and did a few online matches. It's tough but fun. There's a tutorial and versus AI mode you can choose. There's a total of I think 4 or 5 different styles I counted and combat is an over the shoulder battle where you alternate defensive blocks with timing parries. Each style has 3 modes: fast, balanced, heavy. Fast is faster and weaker, heavy is slower but stronger. If your swords hit at the same time, you parry. If one of you is a stronger attack, you win the parry and do damage.

It's a little barebones now, but for $3 it's definitely fun if you like fighting-style games with relatively simple inputs that are more about reading your opponents and timing attacks.

The one thing I'm not crazy on is the online play. You join a server of roughly 16 players max and each map is divided into arenas. You queue up for different arenas (I fought in a library, there was also a waterfall area and 2 others on this map) and watch 2 people fight 3 rounds (first to 2) until its your turn.

Well, I will look into this game. I was a bit curious about it and it's $3... Although that is also why I'm skeptical, 80% off an early access games is odd, to say the least.

kurahador

The secret world, Any good guys? opinions?

Played it for 3 months when it was released;
+great premise, atmospheres & quests.
+more quests are added in each updates, even changing the quests the were already in.
+pretty good leveling system---kinda like FFX or Path of Exile where there's no actual levels.
+great dungeons and bosses.
-doesn't offer anything new in MMORPG core gameplay (in terms of PVP etc.)
-the combat isn't as good like TERA.
-buggy (mind you that this was at launch).

I want to buy Risk of Rain, but damn it, I just got myself a PS4, I'm still playing through Link Between Worlds, do I really need ANOTHER game? (especially because I'm convinced I'll ignore my shiny new PS4 for Risk of Rain. It just looks like the kind of game that I'll spend all winter break playing. Oh god.)

chixdiggit

Depends on what kind of pinball guy you are. Pinball FX basically does all sorts of "unrealistic" things with its tables, whereas Pinball Arcade actually recreates real world tables in meticulous detail.

I guess if you're a purist and want to play the classics, PA seems most reasonable. That being said I've had a lot of fun with Pinball FX. The closest analogy I can think of is PA = Gran Turismo, PFX = Need for Speed. Both have cars and tracks and things, and both are entertaining for their own reasons.

Nice explanation. Sounds like I will just stick with Pinball FX.
Unless sale

Coppanuva

I hate nuuvem, i don't know how to use my credit card in that page....

Well, I will look into this game. I was a bit curious about it and it's $3... Although that is also why I'm skeptical, 80% off an early access games is odd, to say the least.

Well, it's mainly online play as a fighting game. My guess is maybe their community is not as large as they had hoped, and putting on super sale is a good way to get people talking and try it out. Nothing about the game screams bad to me so far.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Seems likely for them to be doing something with those subs soon since they added a Christmas DLC app to them. :)

December 25th announcement, maybe?

Guess it'd be better to throw the bone that way, then. Not sure it'll win though, given how many people can't even see it!

Yeah, that does lower its chances somewhat. Good ol' GFWL, always trying to screw something up. ;)

Anyone know why Fable 3 isn't on Steam anymore?

Optimistically: Microsoft has pulled it to remove GFWL and add Steamworks in its stead (like it may be doing with AoE Online)
Pessimistically: Microsoft thought, "Well, we're not going to do anything about the GFWL implementation, so let's just yank it now and save ourselves a ton of support tickets in the future."

Edit: MS Flight to come back as a paid game (presumably inclusive of all DLC)?

Both AoE Online and MS Flight were pulled months ago so these recent updates are certainly interesting.

Zeliard

Ehsankia's card value site, SAM, constant F5'ing - I've fallen into a deep dark hole with this card selling shit and I'm not sure I'll ever recover.

Hubb

True, I can see that worry. My guess is the game won't be wildly popular, but the fanbase it does have seems like they play regularly enough that you'll get some good matches. Even now the server browser isn't massively populated, but people playing seemed to know each other and enjoyed playing it.

Quick question since you have put at least a little time into the game. How long do the matches seem to last, or does the game list an average time? The shorter the matches the more likely I am to pick it up and play a match or two a night.

Thanks for responding by the way.

zkylon

zkylewd
sent christine love my cake pic

now I'm nervous

Played it for 3 months when it was released;
+great premise, atmospheres & quests.
+more quests are added in each updates, even changing the quests the were already in.
+pretty good leveling system---kinda like FFX or Path of Exile where there's no actual levels.
+great dungeons and bosses.
-doesn't offer anything new in MMORPG core gameplay (in terms of PVP etc.)
-the combat isn't as good like TERA.
-buggy (mind you that this was at launch).

is it a good mmo to like play on your own and make an effort not to communicate with anyone? :p

Myshkin

An underappreciated title. Hope someone is willing to try it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Warlock Master of the Arcane -- MB-D62B04EA0B2E5D2E - Taken by Kastrioti. 2 entrants total.

t1387597239z1.png

Coppanuva

Quick question since you have put at least a little time into the game. How long do the matches seem to last, or does the game list an average time? The shorter the matches the more likely I am to pick it up and play a match or two a night.

Thanks for responding by the way.

No problem. Each match is comprised of up to 3 rounds, first to 2 wins and keeps playing. Loser to end of queue. Each round had a hard time limit that I can't recall off the top of my head (I'm going to assume either 60 or 99 seconds, in keeping with the fighting game rules they have set). So at most 1 fight is going to last you 4.5 minutes. The longest queue I saw put me at having to wait 3 matches before my turn, but due to the way each server is set up, you can just switch to a different arena on the server and have a different shorter queue. I think playing a match or 2 is more than achievable, and I think you can host a match yourself to play with friends/groups if you want to skip the whole finding a server thing.

There's also a FFA mode (the one I've been messing around in is called Duel). All the FFA servers have been full or on an outdated version so I haven't been able to give that a try or see what it's about.

Do the developers of Bad Rats know why so many people buy their game during the Steam Sales?

It has to be pretty sad being the coal of Steam Sales.

zkylon

zkylewd
Kinda...coz you might want to ask someone in chat on how to solve some of the quests further in.

thanks

I was kinda interested in it because people said it had actually interesting quests and stuff

I just want a cool rpg and the setting is super appealing to me, but if it's just another mmorpg then it's no thanks

that's what I'm trying to figure out :p

Hubb

No problem. Each match is comprised of up to 3 rounds, first to 2 wins and keeps playing. Loser to end of queue. Each round had a hard time limit that I can't recall off the top of my head (I'm going to assume either 60 or 99 seconds

Alright thank you sir/madam I got the info I wanted. I am a sucker for fighter games and this one is bought. Wont get a chance to try it tonight, but I will play around with it a bit tomorrow.

Looking forward to trying the 2v2.

DasFool

I want to buy Risk of Rain, but damn it, I just got myself a PS4, I'm still playing through Link Between Worlds, do I really need ANOTHER game? (especially because I'm convinced I'll ignore my shiny new PS4 for Risk of Rain. It just looks like the kind of game that I'll spend all winter break playing. Oh god.)

You must be new at this. Here, backlog forming is an art.

Hubb

Do the developers of Bad Rats know why so many people buy their game during the Steam Sales?

It has to be pretty sad being the coal of Steam Sales.

Only if they hate money. I'm sure they are well aware of what their game was when they released it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder if Brothers and Papers, Please will go on sale. I'd like to give those a go.

I have this game on my wishlist, but it just went down to $0.99 on Android.

Now mentally I won't be able to justify spending more than about $2 for it on Steam. I really wish these mobile devs that make their way to Steam would just be up front and consistent with their prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom