• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voted God Mode. Bulletstorm for $5 is an increase from the price i got it at LAST YEAR and EYE for $1 is just going to force impulse buys and backlog overload.

I have this game on my wishlist, but it just went down to $0.99 on Android.

Now mentally I won't be able to justify spending more than about $2 for it on Steam. I really wish these mobile devs that make their way to Steam would just be up front and consistent with their prices.

I'm in the same place with 'Yesterday'. It's 4.99 on Steam, but it's 99 cents on iOS. I should just get the iOS version but the choice remains hard.

sent christine love my cake pic

now I'm nervous

is it a good mmo to like play on your own and make an effort not to communicate with anyone? :p

It's nice to play solo actually. A lot of good quests for it, especially the Investigation quests. Challenging, and well-written.

The nightmare dungeons are perfect for teaming up. Hard as hell, but very rewarding. The game may not have revolutionized the MMO genre, but I believe it brought some really unique things to the table. Adventure-style quests and difficulty, puzzles, great characters and dialogue, and an amazing atmosphere.

komorebi

What are the chances Payday 2 goes even lower in a daily? Or is the flash sale basically the same price.

wait for the dailies, etc

Nice explanation. Sounds like I will just stick with Pinball FX.
Unless sale
Heh, no problem. I DO like the ball physics of Pinball Arcade better, but that's my own opinion. Note that PA is a free game to download, and comes with a free table to play. You can also try out the other tables in a demo form (score limited) in case you're curious to see whether you'd like it.

Warning: the menus are complete garbage.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's nice to play solo actually. A lot of good quests for it, especially the Investigation quests. Challenging, and well-written.

The nightmare dungeons are perfect for teaming up. Hard as hell, but very rewarding. The game may not have revolutionized the MMO genre, but I believe it brought some really unique things to the table. Adventure-style quests and difficulty, puzzles, great characters and dialogue, and an amazing atmosphere.
thanks, that does sound really cool.

hmm

What are the chances Payday 2 goes even lower in a daily? Or is the flash sale basically the same price.

wait for the dailies, etc
usually flash sales are on the same price as dailies but seeing as the price cut isn't too exciting and it's prolly gonna be a daily anyways (or at least a repeat flash sale at some point) I'd wait

Deadly

Fear not brave Gaffers! I have bought Blade Symphony and started playing it and returned with some early impressions! So far I ran through the tutorial and did a few online matches. It's tough but fun. There's a tutorial and versus AI mode you can choose. There's a total of I think 4 or 5 different styles I counted and combat is an over the shoulder battle where you alternate defensive blocks with timing parries. Each style has 3 modes: fast, balanced, heavy. Fast is faster and weaker, heavy is slower but stronger. If your swords hit at the same time, you parry. If one of you is a stronger attack, you win the parry and do damage.

It's a little barebones now, but for $3 it's definitely fun if you like fighting-style games with relatively simple inputs that are more about reading your opponents and timing attacks.

The one thing I'm not crazy on is the online play. You join a server of roughly 16 players max and each map is divided into arenas. You queue up for different arenas (I fought in a library, there was also a waterfall area and 2 others on this map) and watch 2 people fight 3 rounds (first to 2) until its your turn.
Interesting. It sounds alot like the good old days of Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast

Myshkin

I've had the Secret World since March and have played it for 65 minutes.

It's that one game that I always think "Hey, I should play the Secret World. It looks really interesting!" But then 9 months pass and I haven't played it.

This is your chance to be "the beater who solos the front lines."

dinopoke

Could someone be kind enough to get me Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance from Gamefly? I don't live in the US. :( I can pay back using Paypal.

mrgone

I have this game on my wishlist, but it just went down to $0.99 on Android.

Now mentally I won't be able to justify spending more than about $2 for it on Steam. I really wish these mobile devs that make their way to Steam would just be up front and consistent with their prices.

This is pretty much why I havn't picked up 10,000.000 yet. I understand why it's done and all that with the margins being pretty ridiculously bad on mobile platforms, but it doesn't change the bottom line that it feels like paying an artificial premium. Puts regional pricing into better perspective too. Stinks, all that. Well, unless you're in Russia :)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
ss_8af9da25d088e5d2f450bc13d134862cba91d74c.600x338.jpg

Just played Blade Symphony for 25 minutes. Can watch my video of it here: http://www.twitch.tv/aestheticgolem/b/489030336

I like it! More than I was expecting too, in-fact. I finished the default tutorial, and played two matches online, one in Duel Mode, one in Free-For-All Mode. The game is in early access, but it actually is fairly fleshed out as it is now. The promise of future content is promising though.

The game has four classes, one with a slower 'Drunken' style of sword-fighting, one with a focus on speed (who I played), one with a focus on combos and linking attacks, and one who focused on being good at dodging, parrying, etc. Each class also has three different battle stances, that you switch between on the fly with the mouse wheel or number keys on the keyboard. Battle Stances change how you hold your sword, how you attack with it, and how you move.

Combat is open to play-style heavily (and I compliment their balance and allowance for different play styles for what I played), but you can roll around to dodge, parry attacks, strike from different angles, charge attacks, pull together moves for combos, or even go classic samurai style and run at each other and swing your sword at the other last minute... Or jump around or whatever. The controls are simple, but have a lot of depth to them. You can see a 'sword angle' that tell you how you are going to swing your sword, based on your current movement (of keyboard and mouse), battle stance, and the like.

Online netcode seemed good, and it has plenty of people playing right now. The two modes I played were Duel and Free-For-All. In Duel, you spectate other players (either with player camera or free camera) between several different matches happening at once (there were three different matches happening in the server I was in I could freely switch between to watch). You que yourself up and get into a 'line' to fight who is the current 'king' of an arena. If you dethrone the king, you then will fight each person in line until you lose. One on one, pretty interesting.

Free-For-All puts you in a large hub-like area, with somewhere between 8-32 other people. You all can just attack each other freely, or go into standby mode to just watch others fight, or challenge someone to a duel for a one-on-one match where the other players become silhouettes and you two can only see and attack the other. This mode interests me, its also fun how the area is pretty big and has some good fun just exploring and multiple possible battle arenas.

I would say if you're intrigued, go for it for $3.

thanks

I was kinda interested in it because people said it had actually interesting quests and stuff

I just want a cool rpg and the setting is super appealing to me, but if it's just another mmorpg then it's no thanks

that's what I'm trying to figure out :p

It's a fun game and an interesting setting, my gf and I had fun playing it together.

komorebi

usually flash sales are on the same price as dailies but seeing as the price cut isn't too exciting and it's prolly gonna be a daily anyways (or at least a repeat flash sale at some point) I'd wait

Hmm, yeah I think one of the snow globes is from Payday 2 so it'll probably be a daily. And hopefully lower.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
LIMBO is fantastic so far. Can't believe I missed out on it. Platforming controls are nice and tight and the overall style/art is gorgeous.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alpha Protocol -- -- MB-72C4DBD451175443 - Taken by endresults. 24 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Alpha Protocol -- was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1387598185z1.png

:)

ss_8af9da25d088e5d2f450bc13d134862cba91d74c.600x338.jpg

Just played Blade Symphony for 25 minutes. Can watch my video of it here: http://www.twitch.tv/aestheticgolem/b/489030336

I like it! More than I was expecting too, in-fact. I finished the default tutorial, and played two matches online, one in Duel Mode, one in Free-For-All Mode. The game is in early access, but it actually is fairly fleshed out as it is now. The promise of future content is promising though.

The game has four classes, one with a slower 'Drunken' style of sword-fighting, one with a focus on speed (who I played), one with a focus on combos and linking attacks, and one who focused on being good at dodging, parrying, etc. Each class also has three different battle stances, that you switch between on the fly with the mouse wheel or number keys on the keyboard. Battle Stances change how you hold your sword, how you attack with it, and how you move.

Combat is open to play-style heavily (and I compliment their balance and allowance for different play styles for what I played), but you can roll around to dodge, parry attacks, strike from different angles, charge attacks, pull together moves for combos, or even go classic samurai style and run at each other and swing your sword at the other last minute... Or jump around or whatever. The controls are simple, but have a lot of depth to them. You can see a 'sword angle' that tell you how you are going to swing your sword, based on your current movement (of keyboard and mouse), battle stance, and the like.

Online netcode seemed good, and it has plenty of people playing right now. The two modes I played were Duel and Free-For-All. In Duel, you spectate other players (either with player camera or free camera) between several different matches happening at once (there were three different matches happening in the server I was in I could freely switch between to watch). You que yourself up and get into a 'line' to fight who is the current 'king' of an arena. If you dethrone the king, you then will fight each person in line until you lose. One on one, pretty interesting.

Free-For-All puts you in a large hub-like area, with somewhere between 8-32 other people. You all can just attack each other freely, or go into standby mode to just watch others fight, or challenge someone to a duel for a one-on-one match where the other players become silhouettes and you two can only see and attack the other. This mode interests me, its also fun how the area is pretty big and has some good fun just exploring and multiple possible battle arenas.

I would say if you're intrigued, go for it for $3.

Thanks for your impression. For $3, why not.

Toki767

SinineSiil claimed your Mystery Game #2 key. There were 27 entrants.
xenoflux2113 claimed your Mystery Game #3 key. There were 26 entrants.
bkw claimed your Mystery Game #4 key. There were 51 entrants.
Dr.Acula claimed your Mystery Game #5 key. There were 14 entrants.

Weird. Did no one go for Game #1?

Anyway. It looks like SinineSiil is the big winner.

Nice explanation. Sounds like I will just stick with Pinball FX.
Unless sale
There's also no reason not to give it a whirl since it's free to download, comes with a complementary table, and allows you to trial every table to see if anything strikes your fancy. It's won me over between the two after playing a bit of both.

inm8num2

Darn, my Air skin is bugging up on me, mainly in the downloads page. I'm not running the beta client according to my settings, so it might have been a recent update.

RS4-

Lol, went for 4, most entrants.

Damn, 4 was not the one to back.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Thanks to Myshkin for Warlock! Watching the vids it looks awesome! It looks kind of like a fantasy Civilization from the brief videos I watched of it.

Toki767

OldAsUrSock claimed your Mystery Game #1 key. There were 6 entrants.
OldAsUrSock claimed your Mystery Game #1 key. There were 1 entrants.

I think Modbot hiccuped. But it seems like Game #1 was the least popular choice.

Any impressions of Ballpoint Universe?

The game is a shmup with some platformer parts, mostly to explore the world to collect sketches and interact with the NPC's. The controls are ok, imo the mouse control is the best option for the shooter parts (didn't play with a controller), you can cusyomize your ship and choose the parts before starting the missions. While it may not bring nothing new to the genre - gameplay wise - the game visual is excellent and unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom