• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably won't interest too many, but SteamLoader.com is super legit. I've been picking up most of my games this sale using wallet cards I've got from them purchased in Bitcoin.

Just thought I'd throw it out there in the off chance that someone has some BTC they're looking to turn into Steam Bux.

DownLikeBCPowder's avatar reminded me that I should mention this.

This is exactly what I used to purchase The Secret World. I should have mentioned it, glad you did.

;) Worked like a charm. Near instant receipt of the card (after 1 conf of course..) <3 BTC.

Lain

Aw hell...Far Cry 3 Deluxe is $8.38 on Nuveem. I'm tempted...very tempted.

I wanted to say that you could get it for 7.49$ from Amazon (what I bought it for a couple hours ago), but it seems they went back to 9.99$ for the Deluxe.
8.38$ is a great price and even if I didn't play too far on my UPlay copy, I think the game is worth that much at least.

Santini

I see the Secret World is 9.99

I have a few questions
- If I pay $9.99 for The Secret World, how much more money will I need to pay later to be able to check out all the content? How much DLC / how many expansions are there? What does massive edition actually include?

- Can I play this as though it is not an MMO? Can I play the main story from beginning to end by myself without associating with anyone else or needing to work together?

- Is the game good?

The Secret World "Issues" are expansions. They are currently up to Issue 8, and the Massive Edition includes 1 through 7. Looking at the store, issues typically go for 1200 Funcom Points, which is $10.00 (the first 4 are free to all players, while 5 and up cost money).

I bought the game last year and have only been able to play in short bursts. I haven't actually even delved into the content for Issues 1-5, let alone the main campaign. I did participate in the closed beta for the game way back when, and probably played 100+ hours in my attempts to complete the story campaign. I was a ways off from doing so, and haven't caught up yet with the release version of the game.

Anyhow, you can definitely play the game by yourself. I did/do. I treat the game like a single player RPG that just happens to have other players running around it. There is plenty of in-game content that will keep you occupied. Apart from PvP, there are Dungeons that do require playing in a group. Dungeons are not required to advance the main storyline, but you do miss out on cool bits of story that they present.

If you like horror, RPGs, and adventure games, then yes, I'd say the game is good. Combat is MMO-style, though how you build your character and skills up is fairly unique. And while the game does have standard MMORPG "go here and kill this or get this" type of missions, the manner in which they're presented doesn't ever make them come off that way. There are also missions that require some out of the box thinking (hence the adventure game mention); the game has its own built-in browser to help you look for clues.

The game drips with atmosphere and character; the starting location of Kingsmouth will appeal to anyone who likes Cthulhu, zombies, and Stephen King. Missions are fully-voiced and have cutscenes. The NPCs that I've run into so far have been memorable and interesting. It's a great world to get lost in, and I wish I had more time to actually play it.

As for cons, well, it's an MMORPG, so you're going to run into some MMO jank here and there. I wish the combat were more Guild Wars 2 action style. The game can be very time consuming (not necessarily a bad thing) given the amount of content in it. If I could do it over, I would have waited until today's sale and picked up the Massive Edition since it comes with more Issues, as I haven't even really played the game I picked up a few months ago. Definitely worth $9.99 or $19.99 if you want the extra content that you might (not) play!

Hey is anybody else having trouble redeeming codes they've gotten from Modbot on Steam? I won Hacker Evolution: Untold from mrgone and Populous from VibratingDonkey and I'm getting an Invalid Code from both. :(

I wanted to say that you could get it for 7.49$ from Amazon (what I bought it for a couple hours ago), but it seems they went back to 9.99$ for the Deluxe.
8.38$ is a great price and even if I didn't play too far on my UPlay copy, I think the game is worth that much at least.

Indeed. I may as well wait for the next round, as the deal will likely cycle through again. Been jonesing to play that one for ages, as I was a huge fan of the original (and played it multiple times through over the years).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Probably won't interest too many, but SteamLoader.com is super legit. I've been picking up most of my games this sale using wallet cards I've got from them purchased in Bitcoin.

Just thought I'd throw it out there in the off chance that someone has some BTC they're looking to turn into Steam Bux.

DownLikeBCPowder's avatar reminded me that I should mention this.

Oh wow, thanks for this. I have 0.028something BTC remaining which is just enough to purchase 1,500 Steam Cents.

Unfortunately not "every" game that's applicable. It's a manual process at the moment (unfortunately) but I try to update it when I can. Only about 500 / 2500 games on Steam have their information pages linked at this time.

Yeah it's just pulling this data from SteamCharts which is linked on the section it generates (they have way more in-depth info). But it's nice to be able to see at a glance how active a particular game is, especially if it's multiplayer only.
500 games? Linked manually? Wow, really appreciate your work

Ruze789

Blade Symphony and Payday 2 bought.
Might finally grab SW Battlefront 2 during this sale too, $7 for nostalgic gaming bliss sounds good to me.

Whooter

Maybe on topic somewhat - if I'm downloading to install a game, I can't play a Steam game at the same time can I? Especially an online one? It will pause said download, correct?

I *think* I entered this, but aren't I supposed to get a confirmation reply?

ModBot doesn't mail you back unless you win something.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Maybe on topic somewhat - if I'm downloading to install a game, I can't play a Steam game at the same time can I? Especially an online one? It will pause said download, correct?

They recently added an option (at least in the beta) to continue downloads while playing a game.

What is the consensus on risk of rain?

People seem to really dig it.

rrs

I already won something earlier, so I can't enter, but what Arkham Origins DLC are you giving away?

The DLC from the WB Humble Bundle. Also I set it to multiraffle so you can pick more than one game - however so you can win only one also requires the use of nodailywinner with it.

As long as you copied the whole line and sent one line per PM you'll be ok, you don't get a confirmation PM.

mileS

I still can't decide on Batman Arkham Origins. I honestly wouldn't mind more of the "same" because I loved the first two to death. That seems to be one of the biggest negatives people seem to say.

Going through the official GAF thread the opinions are all over the place.

My 2013 Steam Grabs + List:

Day 1:
  • CS: GO
  • Ballpoint Universe
  • Dishonored GOTY
  • BL2 XMAS DLC
  • You Don't Know Jack! Movies
  • You Don't Know Jack! Television
  • You Don't Know Jack! 1 + 2 + 3
  • Super House of Dead Ninjas
  • Shelter
  • Electronic Super Joy

Day 2:
  • FF7

To Go:
Typing of the Dead + DLC (Waiting for daily)
Blood Dragon

Gifts:
Dust (hoping it on goes on daily)

Turfster

You can just alt-tab back to the steam client, kick something up to in the queue and it'll continue downloading again.

I'm playing ACM and I'm having fun, don't understand all the hate, story it's terrible but gameplay it's ok so far, definitely worth 2$ or even 5$.

Almost bought FarCry Blood Dragon thinking it was that price due to the FarCry 3 daily. Then noticed thats the normal sale price.

Nearly broke the main rule.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm playing ACM and I'm having fun, don't understand all the hate, story it's terrible but gameplay it's ok so far, definitely worth 2$ or even 5$.

You're on the internet, hyperbole center of the universe.

Duke Nukem Forever wasn't that bad either.

zkylon

zkylewd
driver san francisco is really funny but man that game looks rough. I can't believe it came out on 2011

fortunately it's pretty dumb and manages to smartly get me hooked in a car game by adding dialogue to it lol

i've never played it and never will but my guess it was such a trainwreck when it launched that people will never give it a fair shake even if after the developer has patched it multiple times (dunno if that has happened)

ChaoticPotion

Neo Member
Really tempted to pick up The Secret World but I really don't want to dive into an MMO that I don't like.

It's a shame they don't provide a trial :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom