• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Anybody want to go in on a Payday 2 4-pack with me?

i've never played it and never will but my guess it was such a trainwreck when it launched that people will never give it a fair shake even if after the developer has patched it multiple times (dunno if that has happened)

I remember reading there was a huge 3GB patch, maybe it was a mess at launch, but now it's not really that bad.

I did it, I sold $10 worth of cards! :D

Buying that Infinite. Thank you Gabon.

Coincidentally, I just sold a card for $10 (though that includes Valve/developer cuts, so I "only" got $8.70).

Now if only my other Cherry Tree Comedy Club foil would sell, though that would require assholes to stop drastically undercutting my price (all the listings are $10+ and these fuckers sell theirs for four fucking dollars?! Fuuuuuuck theeeeeeeeemmmm!)

Derrick01

Banned
I still can't decide on Batman Arkham Origins. I honestly wouldn't mind more of the "same" because I loved the first two to death. That seems to be one of the biggest negatives people seem to say.

Going through the official GAF thread the opinions are all over the place.

It's really similar to Arkham City in design but the combat is faster due to enemies being more aggressive and there's a new gadget and enemy type as well. The story is pretty good, way better than the others and the new Batman blows Conroy's arkham performances away. There's no reason why someone who liked AC shouldn't like this game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
how's dead island?

I absolutely without a doubt recommend Dead Island under 3 conditions.

1. You play it with a controller.

2. You set the combat to "Analog" mode in the settings.

3. You play with a friend.

Following those three things elevates the game to an absolute blast. One of the funnest experiences I had that year.

Analog mode changes it so that rather than just tapping the trigger to attack, you have to hold the trigger, then you can aim and line up your attack by flicking the right stick. It gives you a totally fluid control over the combat that allows you to be really diverse with the way you fight.

To complement this, the enemies in the game react to being hit REALLY well, and you can break individual limbs AND cut them off. Along with this, flesh tears as you attack it so the combat feels really pounding, visceral, and intense. With analog I think it's one of the greatest examples of first person melee combat that gaming has ever seen.

The biggest issue with the game is that the quests can get sort of boring and thats why I recommend you play with a friend. When you have a friend involved, there's so much dumb fun to be had in between quests.

I remember my friend was chasing me in a truck, so I put a big gas tank behind this sign and baited him to chase me. As soon as he drove past the sign, I shot the tank and he blew into pieces as we both laughed hysterically.

A ton of little moments like that.

I definitely recommend it, especially on sale. Even if you just stick to the first portion of the game, the resort, that's at least 12-15 hours of awesome and fun gameplay.

I remember reading there was a huge 3GB patch, maybe it was a mess at launch, but now it's not really that bad.

that's probably what happened. Sadly due to the amount of bad rap the game got at launch I imagine it won't get a lot of sales, even at that price. (i'm personally not interested as it's not my type of game to begin with)

I have been debating getting FF VIII again, but when you get through it one time with everyone at nearly 255 stats via skills and junctioning, what is there left to do? A no GF run?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played almost an hour of Far Cry 3, thanks to a very generous move by fellow GAFfter The_Monk. Got past the intro level and got (what I think) are the main story elements.

So far I think it's pretty cool. Seems like a pretty competent shooter with some RPG-lite elements (skill tress, crafting, etc) and the story and atmosphere give off a tinge of Tomb Raider, which I think is a good thing.

The open world aspect seems pretty cool and I like the fact that it's not completely open until you climb to the top of each of the towers.

Overall, first impressions are good. :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Haha, neat. I was operating on auto-pilot and accidentally tried to redeem my Wallet code as a game key, at which point Steam redirected me to the Wallet code redemption page and automatically processed the form.

feel

www.isthereanydeal.com is pretty damn amazing once you figure out the colors and stuff, I find it way more effective than other similar sites who make you do some extra work to find out if it's the lowest price ever or what.

Looking over my wishlist I remembered there's barely any games I really want. There's like 3 games I'll buy when they go on sale and 3 more if they become really cheap.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
www.isthereanydeal.com is pretty damn amazing once you figure out the colors and stuff, I find it way more effective than other similar sites who make you do some extra work to find out if it's the lowest price ever or what.

IsThereAnyDeal is awesome and the admin is a super swell guy. BTW, it's where Enhanced Steam gets it's price history data. :)

Deques

Played almost an hour of Far Cry 3, thanks to a very generous move by fellow GAFfter The_Monk. Got past the intro level and got (what I think) are the main story elements.

So far I think it's pretty cool. Seems like a pretty competent shooter with some RPG-lite elements (skill tress, crafting, etc) and the story and atmosphere give off a tinge of Tomb Raider, which I think is a good thing.

The open world aspect seems pretty cool and I like the fact that it's not completely open until you climb to the top of each of the towers.

Overall, first impressions are good. :)

Far Cry 3 is on sale in Amazon for $7.49
Pay $2.5 more and you also get Deluxe edition

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B29S1JK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Steam redeemable

For those new to it, make sure to import your steam wishlist too. It makes it really easy to track games and get email notifications.

Now that steam has the preference to not pause downloads when you start a game, maybe then can move onto making their email notification a little less random.

Cth

Got home from work, bought Risk of Rain and now I'm going to get 3 hours of sleep before I have to do it all again :D

Working retail during the holiday stinks sometimes. Anyone else in the same boat?

The Secret World "Issues" are expansions. They are currently up to Issue 8, and the Massive Edition includes 1 through 7. Looking at the store, issues typically go for 1200 Funcom Points, which is $10.00 (the first 4 are free to all players, while 5 and up cost money).

I bought the game last year and have only been able to play in short bursts. I haven't actually even delved into the content for Issues 1-5, let alone the main campaign. I did participate in the closed beta for the game way back when, and probably played 100+ hours in my attempts to complete the story campaign. I was a ways off from doing so, and haven't caught up yet with the release version of the game.

Anyhow, you can definitely play the game by yourself. I did/do. I treat the game like a single player RPG that just happens to have other players running around it. There is plenty of in-game content that will keep you occupied. Apart from PvP, there are Dungeons that do require playing in a group. Dungeons are not required to advance the main storyline, but you do miss out on cool bits of story that they present.

If you like horror, RPGs, and adventure games, then yes, I'd say the game is good. Combat is MMO-style, though how you build your character and skills up is fairly unique. And while the game does have standard MMORPG "go here and kill this or get this" type of missions, the manner in which they're presented doesn't ever make them come off that way. There are also missions that require some out of the box thinking (hence the adventure game mention); the game has its own built-in browser to help you look for clues.

The game drips with atmosphere and character; the starting location of Kingsmouth will appeal to anyone who likes Cthulhu, zombies, and Stephen King. Missions are fully-voiced and have cutscenes. The NPCs that I've run into so far have been memorable and interesting. It's a great world to get lost in, and I wish I had more time to actually play it.

As for cons, well, it's an MMORPG, so you're going to run into some MMO jank here and there. I wish the combat were more Guild Wars 2 action style. The game can be very time consuming (not necessarily a bad thing) given the amount of content in it. If I could do it over, I would have waited until today's sale and picked up the Massive Edition since it comes with more Issues, as I haven't even really played the game I picked up a few months ago. Definitely worth $9.99 or $19.99 if you want the extra content that you might (not) play!

That was a solid wrap-up. I put in a nice run outside of steam and was waiting for the massive edition to equal what it would cost me to grab the missing issues. With that happening, depending on how the steam version may possibly migrate to my existing funcom account, I enjoyed it so much that I wouldn't mind starting over from scratch, since I still couldn't find a definitive answer regarding whether or not I could just add the steam key and pick up right where I left off via steam and not have to endure the download again.

Not sure if they are still running it, though they used to award you enough funcom points to grab an issue free of charge from the shop after you completed 30 missions. There may have also been a time limit to redeem those points? It has been a while, so I cannot recall exactly, though it was 1200pts which was the most it cost for any issue at the time.

The DLC from the WB Humble Bundle. Also I set it to multiraffle so you can pick more than one game - however so you can win only one also requires the use of nodailywinner with it.

As long as you copied the whole line and sent one line per PM you'll be ok, you don't get a confirmation PM.

I got a message! I won Serious Sam 3, very cool! I love Serious Sam... Thanks!

Anteater

Discounts north of 75% are rare.

iEmMOCD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom