• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dec

the cards don't expire until the day after the sales

Considering the banner it's on links to the main sale page, it seems like an add for the sale, not about cards.

There is a back arrow, a logo for the sale and the date all in one image. But if the sales end the 2nd then I guess someone fucked up.

spirity

I have this idea of a game that I think I would like: a strategy game with RPG elements, where your units can be permanently upgraded (like an RPG characters). Does a game like this exist? I like RPGs so it might make the transition to strategy games easier if it has RPG elements...

Hmm, check out Fallen Enchantress on youtube, see if it fits the bill. Might + Magic Heroes too.

Grief.exe

I had a lot of experience with MW and MW2 before I got burned out... I think, at least based off what I know of BF3, that it's not my cup of tea -- I do not like vehicles and stuff being involved. I just want FPS deathmatch... no planes/tanks/whatever unless they're killstreaks or something (I spent a ton of time with the Killzone and Resistance games on consoles too). Something about the vehicles really rubs me the wrong way.

All I play is actually TDM and Domination because I get tired of vehicle spam as well and there aren't any good infantry maps in BF4.

But Grief it has cards.

GOAT

Tizoc

Thanks for The Pit, Smash88 ;)
OK let's see where Darksiders 2 is cheapest then I can buy it along with whatever's the next flash sale that interests me~

KiraFA37

I kinda feel like buying a strategy game and I see Total War: Shogun II is on sale for $7.49.

I have very little experience with strategy games... I think Advance Wars Dual Strike is the only real strategy game I've ever played. Would Shogun II have a sharp learning curve for me?

I have this idea of a game that I think I would like: a strategy game with RPG elements, where your units can be permanently upgraded (like an RPG characters). Does a game like this exist? I like RPGs so it might make the transition to strategy games easier if it has RPG elements...

Hmm well in Total War the battles are realtime while the "grand strategy" happens turn-based. I think Shogun 2 is one of the more accessible one of the franchise and the learning curve is alright, you can always pause or slow down the game to figure everything out on the battlefield. Since the games you seem to like more are turn based you should take a look at Frozen Synapse or Agarest Generations of War if you want something more SRPG like.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Time for jshackles' epic Bad Rat Roulette Giveaway.

Here are the rules: one of these games is Starbound. The other 4 are Bad Rats. But which is which? You can only enter one, so choose wisely!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 1 excellent game and 4 games that are an embarrassment to the gaming industry as a whole. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg
header_292x136.jpg

Entry #1 -- MB-79F6FA9643B06609 - Taken by OcarinaOfDoom. 11 entrants total.
Entry #2 -- MB-3BF61F87A3575118 - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 17 entrants total.
Entry #3 -- MB-298EF5B3D7801BA4 - Taken by DasFool. 13 entrants total.
Entry #4 -- MB-4A71BCAAFFDF93EE - Taken by drizzle. 1 entrants total.
Entry #5 -- MB-CD19724662B7D5E8 - Taken by Anteater. 4 entrants total.

t1387669917z1.png

If you win Bad Rats, take it like a man and activate it on your account. If not I'll ask that you be placed on the community blacklist.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

Here are the rules: one of these games is Starbound. The other 4 are Bad Rats. But which is which? You can only enter one, so choose wisely!

If you win Bad Rats, take it like a man and activate it on your account. If not I'll ask that you be placed on the community blacklist.

Great giveaway! but I'm not entering :p

Hmm well in Total War the battles are realtime while the "grand strategy" happens turn-based. I think Shogun 2 is one of the more accessible one of the franchise and the learning curve is alright, you can always pause or slow down the game to figure everything out on the battlefield. Since the games you seem to like more are turn based you should take a look at Frozen Synapse or Agarest Generations of War if you want something more SRPG like.

Thank you for the info. I should have been more clear: I want to try out a real-time strategy game since, as you said, the only strategy game I've played before was a turn-based one. Does Shogun 2 have any RPG-like elements? Like, can you upgrade your units or is there any kind of reward/exp system at all? Or is it just straight-up "here's your troops, go defeat the enemy army" kind of gameplay?

Smash88

Banned
Alright sent gifts to everyone!

Enjoy the game! Fantastic little gem.

Also thanks to some of you offering to give me a gift back. It was unnecessary. Just wanted to spread the love that GAF gave me when I was broke a few years ago.

I'll never forget you Speculawyer, the first to gift me on Steam - I promised I would pay it back some day! Hope I make you proud.

Grief.exe

Something i just noticed, there were actually more giveaways during the Summer Sale, but people abused the system and now there may be less giveaways on the whole.

I remember Dukeboby scraping money together for more giveaways, then BHK3 comes in and trades Rogue Legacy away for some cheap game.

Or Javadots just taking everything and hording it for trades on other sites.

So bad.

damn Starbound. Hope I don't get Bad Rats!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
mOcbrsu.gif

Reminder and info that I updated the list with a few more games suggested in the Steam Sale Indie Games thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621131

Made it for the summer sale, had it renamed and now repurposed for the current sale. If anyone has new entries for that list that he recommends (since tons of games released since summer), make sure to post it over there (see OP for how to format).

I had finally started to trim out my wishlist and you just bump it right back to where it was with that thread. I appreciate all the effort.

John

I want to get my brother all the Killing Floor DLC for christmas; is there a way of seeing which of the DLCs he already has? Considered getting the $25 bundle, but he already owns the main game, so I wouldn't save any money by getting that.

theRizzle

ughhh.. Javadots.

It seems like there are quite a few games going unclaimed. Is there a smaller window for exemption on ModBot than a day? Like, 6 hours or something?

Absolutely brilliant. I think I already have bad rats though, so if I win a copy of that, I'm not sure how you'd like me to use it, sir. :)

Omikron

I don't have a copy of bad rats, so looking forward to finding out how bad it really is.

Arthea

I kinda feel like buying a strategy game and I see Total War: Shogun II is on sale for $7.49.

I have very little experience with strategy games... I think Advance Wars Dual Strike is the only real strategy game I've ever played. Would Shogun II have a sharp learning curve for me?

There are whole 2 genres dedicated to hybrids of strategy and RPG.
1. TRPGs or tactical RPGs, where your units level and you have lots of classes to choose from, and combat is done on grid usually and requires you tactically manage battles. Most of those are on concoles, all big series are there. But there is one Agarest game on steam and I'm pretty sure I played indie game in same style, will look later for title.
2. SRPGs or strategy RPGs, where you level heroes, and do your combat by choosing your units wisely but usually they don't level. It often have tactical grid combat too, but you do lot of managing resources and sometimes even building. Many such series are on steam, to name a few: Heroes of Might and Magic, King's Bounty, Disciples, Eador.

And then there are odd apples like Might and Magic: Clash of heroes, which is awesome, btw.

Cheddahz

Banned
Something i just noticed, there were actually more giveaways during the Summer Sale, but people abused the system and now there may be less giveaways on the whole.

I remember Dukeboby scraping money together for more giveaways, then BHK3 comes in and trades Rogue Legacy away for some cheap game.

Or Javadots just taking everything and hording it for trades on other sites.

So bad.

I remember Javadots...that was a terrible first day of sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom