• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starbound and Rust come on steam sales don't let me down!!!
j-jonah-jameson-laughing-o.gif

no way in all the nine hells Starbound will go on sale
it went in beta THIS MONTH
plus its selling like hotcakes

Miker

I'm bored, so here's a recommendation for an twin-stick shooter that some people might be interested in:
Waves - http://store.steampowered.com/app/107600/

It's $4 right now, and may or may not show up as a flash/daily; it's pretty old and not particularly popular, so I'm gonna guess it won't.

I thought this game would become the PC's Geometry Wars in terms of popularity, or at least mentioned as one of the best twin-stick shooters on PC, but I don't think anybody has really played it. It has a really slick presentation (read: cool particle effects), lots of enemy variety, lots of different modes, slow-mo (with music that distorts!), and a brilliant scoring system.

So here's the way the scoring system works, although my memory is bad: you get a multiplier that rises as long as you kill three enemies in the past second or so. Every ten enemies killed gets you a bomb, which is only available for a few seconds. Basically, what this means is that the best way to score is to let a crapton of enemies spawn, chase you around the map, turn around and kill some enemies to boost your multiplier and earn a bomb, then go into slow-mo (which doubles all points), and bomb everything all at once for insane points.

My explanation probably sounds overly complicated, but it's really a clever system that encourages smart play that strikes a balance between evasion and offense.

If you like twin-stick shooters, get Waves.

Here's a trailer, with my favorite song from the soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FRc4LGyEK0

Dr Dogg

Do you have access to all the options in 3DMark if you buy it, or do you have to pay extra inside the app for that?

No that's it just once price and everything is unlocked. I think there was a version of PC Mark where you unlocked it piecemeal but all your gaining extra is 3 more stressful tests, the ability to run just the one you want and must better comparison and statistics reporting. It's certainly not worth full price.

to be fair microsoft hasn't formally announced what they are going to do when they shut down their GFWL servers (the announcement got leaked via that age of empires online site, it was never formal)

my bet is on "do nothing" though, you will probably have to crack most of the games to get them running post server shutdown (for games without offline profile support or whatever)

Which one of you asked Santa for a pony this year?

ModBot said:
Instructions for Widdly Scuds:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Secret of the Magic Crystal -- MB-753012A9A42ACC57 - Taken by NingenJanai. 14 entrants total.

t1387696152z1.png

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE -- MB-9975183FE3C53074 - Taken by Jiggaloboy. 178 entrants total.

t1387771212z1.png

just cuz

I'd love to see Resident Evil 6 as a daily because I really want to try it, just not at $20.

Also hoping to see if Resident Evil 5 gets GFWL patched out and the remaining DLC added in later.

What does that GFWL thing means? Wasn't that service canceled or something.

I'm about to buy RE5 on Steam. Is there any problem with the game because of GFWL?

Fireblend

Banned
I'm bored, so here's a recommendation for an twin-stick shooter that some people might be interested in:

It's $4 right now, and may or may not show up as a flash/daily; it's pretty old and not particularly popular, so I'm gonna guess it won't.

I thought this game would become the PC's Geometry Wars in terms of popularity, or at least mentioned as one of the best twin-stick shooters on PC, but I don't think anybody has really played it. It has a really slick presentation (read: cool particle effects), lots of enemy variety, lots of different modes, slow-mo (with music that distorts!), and a brilliant scoring system.

So here's the way the scoring system works, although my memory is bad: you get a multiplier that rises as long as you kill three enemies in the past second or so. Every ten enemies killed gets you a bomb, which is only available for a few seconds. Basically, what this means is that the best way to score is to let a crapton of enemies spawn, chase you around the map, turn around and kill some enemies to boost your multiplier and earn a bomb, then go into slow-mo (which doubles all points), and bomb everything all at once for insane points.

My explanation probably sounds overly complicated, but it's really a clever system that encourages smart play that strikes a balance between evasion and offense.

If you like twin-stick shooters, get Waves.

Here's a trailer, with my favorite song from the soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FRc4LGyEK0
Great writeup! I'm a big Waves fan, and I agree that it deserves a lot more recognition than it gets. It truly is a brilliant twinstick shooter. Cathartic, even.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

I'm about to buy RE5 on Steam. Is there any problem with the game because of GFWL?

You won't be able to play it online or sync achivements with xbl profile when it GFWL cuts off in June but you will be able to continue playing with an offline profile. Capcom is supposed to be removing GFWL from some of theirs games tho.

Juice

Games For Windows Live is being brought down soon. Games that aren't patched are just going to stop working, some of them entirely.

Turfster

GFWL is microsoft's online DRM that allowed easier porting from 360 (chievos and other Xbox Live stuff, like matchmaking). They're pulling the plug halfway next year, but yeah, it's a fucking eyesore that most companies haven't announced they will remove from their games (Big props to 2K and WB for doing it for Bioshock and Batman)

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
...AVGN Adventures doesn't have cards... :|

On the one hand, I wish I'd read the store page instead of assuming; on the other, it was supposed to get them November 26th and nobody knows why it didn't. Vaaaalve, I was looking forward to that trading fodder... :|

Ok, who voted for Red Faction?

Better play it fast because it isn't going to be playable in 3 months.
Pretty sure the GFWL shutdown is in July, not March.

I support this recommendation.

Well, crap. I really wanted the game but I won't be buying something that's not going to work later.

Napoleon: Total War, you are safe to replace RE5 on my shopping cart. Come to papa.

Thanks for the answers guys.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:

Rules for this Giveaway:

Testament of Sherlock Holmes -- MB-EAE329295D8480C0 - Taken by Myshkin

Note this is actually a twin pack containing Wargame: European Escalation and The Testament of Sherlock Holmes.

This is my first giveaway so hope it isn't screwed up. I keep thinking I've done something wrong :) Wanted to join in the giveaways but felt appropriate to give something first!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If I win Revengeance it's going to be gifted back to GAF in a special tournament in the near future.

Waves was 1-2 dollars in the Summer Sale. It's worth 4 bucks though for sure.

I just finished Influx (Currently 4.99). As a fan of marble games like Marble Blast Ultra, and Switchball, it's an interesting blend of the two. It's broken apart into six different hub worlds, each containing 3 puzzle areas. These hub worlds are wide open natural vistas, whereas the puzzle rooms look a lot like those Marble Blast Ultra. Most of the puzzles deal with world rotation, and getting other marbles to designated areas.

The movement feels pretty different than Marble Blast Ultra, mostly in that you carry much more momentum, and you don't have a button to jump. They introduce a charge boost though, that accomplishes similar goals. It has a small story being told through the world, and it's just a really satisfying time. It took me around 4 hours to complete, and I'd highly recommend it to dudes that dug Marble Blast Ultra/Switchball. I like it a lot more than Spectraball.

Here's some screenshots:

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Bah, can't play Nether. They're getting hammered due to the sell, and tons of people can't sync their Steam accounts. I actually can't even download the game itself.

Orca

I've tried to buy so many games I already have... Damn Steam sales, reminding me of backlog more than anything else :(

Smash88

Banned
This is untrue. The developers of Nether made Dark Meadow and World War Z (game adaption of the movie) on iOS, they had nothing to do with War Z/Infection.

Login failed. Please ensure your Steam account is linked to your PlayNether.com account (Log in to PlayNether.com)

Regretting my purchase already Dusk Golem. :(

Yondy604

Banned
I just finished Influx (Currently 4.99). As a fan of marble games like Marble Blast Ultra, and Switchball, it's an interesting blend of the two. It's broken apart into six different hub worlds, each containing 3 puzzle areas. These hub worlds are wide open natural vistas, whereas the puzzle rooms look a lot like those Marble Blast Ultra. Most of the puzzles deal with world rotation, and getting other marbles to designated areas.

The movement feels pretty different than Marble Blast Ultra, mostly in that you carry much more momentum, and you don't have a button to jump. They introduce a charge boost though, that accomplishes similar goals. It has a small story being told through the world, and it's just a really satisfying time. It took me around 4 hours to complete, and I'd highly recommend it to dudes that dug Marble Blast Ultra/Switchball. I like it a lot more than Spectraball.

Here's some screenshots:

Looks like a metroid spin off game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom