• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexxon

Thank you, thank you!, thank you! I can stop hitting myself over having missed the WB humble bundle now..

-Edit-

Bummer, giving me the already redeemed message too. Still, thanks anyway

I won the Arkham Origins DLC, but it says the key has already been redeemed...

Oh well, thanks anyway!

Huh, really? I think I misunderstood the way Humble shows their gift links. I assumed it would show something to show that they were already taken.

Now that I think of it, I did offer those to someone, but was unsure if they took it...

Very sorry for that! I'll try to keep track better in the future. At least Gemini Rue should be legit...I thought Arkham City was, but I guess I was mistaken on that, too.

I'll make it up by digging through my Steam Keys and do another giveaway!

Huh, really? I think I misunderstood the way Humble shows their gift links. I assumed it would show something to show that they were already taken.

Now that I think of it, I did offer those to someone, but was unsure if they took it...

Very sorry for that! I'll try to keep track better in the future. At least Gemini Rue should be legit...I thought Arkham City was, but I guess I was mistaken on that, too.

I'll make it up by digging through my Steam Keys and do another giveaway!

Gemini Rue worked just fine.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dead Space -- MB-30768A8513555B24 - Taken by Maddocks. 3 entrants total.

t1387689043z1.png

Xyber

3d mark worth 2.50$?

Just being able to disable the demos before each benchmark is worth the money for whenever you get a new GPU and want to test it out.

Those demos are so long and annoying. Just bought it myself for whenever I get one of Nvidias new 800 cards.

I've yet to pick up anything. And the way it's going I don't think I will. Feels weird not getting something during the sale. Holding out hope for a Splinter Cell Blacklist daily or flash deal.

Tellaerin

I was thinking about all these ModBot giveaways, and while a lot of them are just leftover indie keys (not a bad thing, mind you), some giveaways are from members who really, really love a game and want to share the game with other people who will actually play the game. Now, I know I'm guilty of sometimes just taking some game I don't have and adding it to the backlog, but if I were giving away a game that I felt strongly about, I'd sure as hell want the winner to play it.

So, Stump, if you're listening, would it be possible to enable a flag for ModBot similar to PMTHANKS that tells the winner to play the game and report back with impressions? I know I've won a game via ModBot where the giveaway host wanted the winners to post impressions, and I think having a flag within ModBot itself would be a good idea.

Of course, it would still be bound by the honor system, but I think that a line in the winner PM like "The giveaway host asks that you play the game you just won and post your impressions in the current Steam thread. We obviously cannot force you, but please be respectful of the giveaway host's wishes." And maybe make the flag extra-visible in the actual giveaway post, so people don't miss it?

Thoughts?
It's not a bad idea, but considering the size of some peoples' backlogs, even someone with the best intentions of playing something may not get around to it for weeks, even months after receiving a game. Really, the best you can do is to put something out there and ask that whoever wins a game will actually play it, and hope they respect that at the end of the day.

Lexxon

OK I've got a pretty decent lightning raffle here, I think. Mostly "older" stuff but relevant. I am 95% sure these steam keys work, they are either from humble bundles or Amazon purchases, or god knows what. I think I've kept a pretty good Google Doc of all of them.

Hopefully I don't screw anyone else! Sorry again for the humble bundle snafu :(

ModBot said:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alan Wake -- MB-C1CC0F5C23F315CB
The Walking Dead Season 1 -- MB-124250CE03F1D649 - Taken by damaph. 8 entrants total.
The Last Remnant -- MB-FF4C172868A4B87A - Taken by gabrielt16. 12 entrants total.
Metro 2033 -- MB-3B5E040767A86B5F - Taken by Tertullian. 1 entrants total.
Supreme Commander 2 -- MB-B9FA4C8AA0C7357D - Taken by MTMBStudios. 1 entrants total.
Alan Wake's American Nightmare -- MB-0F8595F85F87F6AC - Taken by Jmanunknown. 3 entrants total.
Just Cause 2 -- MB-4F74736B85BD53D0 - Taken by JDHarbs. 3 entrants total.

t1387689583z1.png

I love exploration games including ones with no gameplay, but Proteus bored me to tears. I found Dear Ester to be quite engaging through its story and exploration, but Proteus really had not a whole lot worth exploring.

Relax.MX

OK I've got a pretty decent lightning raffle here, I think. Mostly "older" stuff but relevant. I am 95% sure these steam keys work, they are either from humble bundles or Amazon purchases, or god knows what. I think I've kept a pretty good Google Doc of all of them.

Great giveaway :) i have all the games but luck to all

TheQuaker

Banned
I'm in the same boat. It's early days yet, but I'm finding that most of the deals I really want are on Amazon/GMG. Even the Ubisoft store has a couple items I'm mulling over.

Ha! Yeah I fired up Uplay just to see if they were doing anything. I kind of want to get the old Splinter Cell games for the PC.

Turfster

Very nice giveaway.

Ha! Yeah I fired up Uplay just to see if they were doing anything. I kind of want to get the old Splinter Cell games for the PC.

Ha. Random: You have my Steam avatar! ;)

Also random:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PixelJunk Monsters -- MB-446CEC0311E556A5 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 38 entrants total.
Revenge of the Titans -- MB-A2929E69D373A5A0 - Taken by Reg. 2 entrants total.

t1387699798z1.png

Lexxon

I always told myself I'd sell some of those keys, but I've got to the point that I don't know what was Humble Bundle, what was Amazon, etc. and it's not really morally right to sell Humble keys (or it's outright banned in some marketplaces). So, that giveaway might not be the last :p (Probably the last for tonight, but I have a lot of keys saved up from old bundles and sales)

Maddocks

Now that I have a new computer, time to get in on this vide-a game pc thang. Damn sales, I will probably pick up the bioshock 3 game set, its 15 on amazon, but 20 on steam. Wonder why.

Dec

Now that I have a new computer, time to get in on this vide-a game pc thang. Damn sales, I will probably pick up the bioshock 3 game set, its 15 on amazon, but 20 on steam. Wonder why.

it'll probably go to $15 (-75%) before the end of the sale.

Edit: Oh my bad I thought you meant Bioshock infinite by Bio 3 :p didn't realize there was actually a 3 pack.

Lain

Just bought the Civilization V: Korea and Wonders of the Ancient World - Combo Pack to bring my version of Civ V up to the Gold edition, but on enhanced steam it looks like this:
And the page for the Civilization V - Wonders of the Ancient World Scenario Pack shows like this:

Just like how the GOTY version of Dead Island doesn't show one of the DLC as owned on the Steam page, but present in the DLC category under properties of the game.
I wonder if this is all a ploy to get forgetful people to rebuy stuff over and over
not really, but it's annoying.

pahamrick

No worries Lexxon. Good giveaway!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Cheers, Tony actively pursues larger discounts, though he's not always successful (Activision games come to mind).

Caerith

Just bought the Civilization V: Korea and Wonders of the Ancient World - Combo Pack to bring my version of Civ V up to the Gold edition, but on enhanced steam it looks like this:

And the page for the Civilization V - Wonders of the Ancient World Scenario Pack shows like this:

Just like how the GOTY version of Dead Island doesn't show one of the DLC as owned on the Steam page, but present in the DLC category under properties of the game.
I wonder if this is all a ploy to get forgetful people to rebuy stuff over and over
not really, but it's annoying.
If you try to buy it, it'll stop you at the last step. Sort of a known issue, and known annoyance.

zhorkat

The dark secret of Steam sales is that you can many times find better prices on other sites that still give you a Steam-redeemable key.

Lexxon

The dark secret of Steam sales is that you can many times find better prices on other sites that still give you a Steam-redeemable key.

So true, particularly in the last two years. GreenManGaming and Amazon go through waves of having insane deals, sometimes on newly-released games. You usually can't beat GMG's % off codes for brand new games (like I buy those anymore! Backlog D: )

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Humble, too. Bundles were already crazy, but now that they have sales on games, AND you get DRM-free in some cases...very hard to beat their deals, like Gone Home for $5 the other day.

komorebi

Thanks man! I got Alan Wake. Ashamed to say I've never played it.....

Lexxon

Thanks man! I got Alan Wake. Ashamed to say I've never played it.....

PLAY DAT GAME. I loved Alan Wake. I didn't get into the "sequel" XBLA title American Nightmare nearly as much, just didn't have the same vibe, but I really enjoyed my playthrough of the original. Haven't revisited it, either, even though I own it on PC.

Cth

Morning fellow SteamGaffers, what should I vote on the community pick?

Legend of Dungeon.. it could use some more players, graphics are nice, and it's a decent price.

Proteus is a hit or miss exploration game.. not bad, but its been in bundles before.

Not idea about the other one, but it seems like the kind of game that needs more players, so it'd be decent near launch.. so play it quick if you get it, presumably.

JDHarbs

Thanks for JC2 :)

komorebi

PLAY DAT GAME. I loved Alan Wake. I didn't get into the "sequel" XBLA title American Nightmare nearly as much, just didn't have the same vibe, but I really enjoyed my playthrough of the original. Haven't revisited it, either, even though I own it on PC.

Will do. So American Nightmare isn't worth it, then?

damaph

Thanks for The Walking Dead Lexxon!

Lexxon

I wouldn't say that, necessarily. If it's still available in my giveaway (editing is lagging a bit but I haven't got a receipt?) I'd say try and grab it. I really should go back to it and give it another shot, I gave up maybe 1/3 of the way through. Reviews were kinda mixed if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Reading one of the metacritic user reviews (yeah, I know, I know) reminded me of what my issue was with it. Story. Just couldn't get into the story like I did with the original. Gameplay felt fine.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

It's worth picking up on the cheap as the game mixes up the combat a bit by expanding the enemy type palette and there is an overarching story to it (though nothing overly important in the grand scheme of things). The game was obviously hamstrung by the XBLA size limit, though, so the campaign is comprised of three rather small areas that you play through thrice and the quality of some of the textures is, uh, less than stellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom