• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkanius

Did I miss any explanation for it? Or is it just a matter of trying to figure out
what symbols and what vibrations (lol) match which keys
?

I feel like I've missed like half the game and 90% of the puzzles.

Did you found the solution to the ingame writing?
I found the clue that gave you the
Roseta Stone
to be genius!

Mogwai

Why is Darksiders 2 such a rip off?

It's discounted by 80% and still cost 10€. Don't tell me that this piece of jank is worth 50€ normally...

The_Monk

guys, please recommend some games that i should play. thank you :)

Alright, let me point to a less common/talked game fellow GAFfer.

Knock-Knock

It's 50% OFF

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250380/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_36

yPPifbMl.png

After some hours I may be somewhat stuck in Knock Knock. The game is not clear on what you must do or how you must do it. It's okay, many games do this and it's nice for us to discover on our own (Dark Souls). However I reached one of the last levels and it seems that if you do not proceed to the next level/room/dream/nightmare whatever you want to call it you may be getting a Game Over screen the next time you will try to advance to the next level just like you normally would do.

Knock Knock have a very creepy and depressive atmosphere. Seems to be a great game to play in the upcoming Halloween. You will always feel that you are surrounded by someone or something, yet, you feel alone at the same time.

Now this is very clever: There are things that really help to create a tense mood in the game with such basic gameplay elements. Let's say something is approaching you. You hide but you are still visible. It's okay, because it does not matter if they can see you since it's you that can't see them because if you see them/it then it means they are real and if you believe they are real, then you must be hallucinating meaning you are losing it.

The game have more than one way to end, or to not end at all, in fact. Depending on some actions across the game, when you proceed further a larger enemy may be something for you and a very different one for me.

Immersion tip: In this game the sound of doors opening and closing are quite regular. If you have a sound system with a Subwoofer, placing the Sub below your desk near one of the corners gives you a much more real feeling that something is really knocking a door in your house. This adds to the atmosphere giving you a more intensifying experience when everything is silenced and then BAM!, someone shuts a door, and you feel the vibration.

In my opinion you don't get those jump scares we sometimes see (faked or not) on Youtube videos from games like playing Amnesia, in this game instead of "AAAH, Oh my God & Buddha, that is scary!!!" I got something more of: "That is creepy... go away, please, I don't want to look :( Just... leave me alone... :( "

With being said a Patch was recently released fixing a couple of issues, some bugs and something regarding a couple of Achievements not unlocking for some people. I can always start a new game, try to get it right this time, try to get a proper ending or see if I will see more fragments of memories that kinda randomly appear on the game or even to see what will appear when I'm near the end, but for now it's on stand-by.

FjJ0OHg.png

So, is The Wolf Among Us a save buy if you enjoyed TWD?

Personally, I enjoyed the first episode of The Wolf Among Us even more than the first episode of the Walking Dead, it has a lot of potential. Plays very similarly, but with a style that's more film noir, plus fairy tale characters obviously.. I think the style of gameplay works really well for a game where you're investigating a crime.

Sweet Jesus on an airplane, I just realized that this sale goes for another 13 days (counting today) and I have like $55 worth of shit in my cart right now.

Guys, this is super super bad for my financial responsibility. :(

Arkanius

Personally, I enjoyed the first episode of The Wolf Among Us even more than the first episode of the Walking Dead, it has a lot of potential. Plays very similarly, but with a style that's more film noir, plus fairy tale characters obviously.. I think the style of gameplay works really well for a game where you're investigating a crime.

Does it have more exploration and puzzle solving?
Telltale is getting way way too linear and cinematic with their new installments. S2 EP1 of the Walking Dead left me sad

derExperte

nah, you are a proud member of exclusive club "we avoid bad rats as long as we can"

I don't know if that's a thing outside of Germany but we have a "Don't listen to Last Christmas (from Wham!) during Christmas time"-competition going on every year. It's extremely hard to avoid as it's always on radio but I'm still good. Same goes for Bad Rats.

Do it, it seems the price won't get lower.
It's so worth it. One of the best Star Wars games

ive been jiggly with both kotor games since they released, i just wanna see all this new content. i'm gonna wait til the deals change and see what's what before pulling the trigger on it.

Sweet Jesus on an airplane, I just realized that this sale goes for another 13 days (counting today) and I have like $55 worth of shit in my cart right now.

Guys, this is super super bad for my financial responsibility. :(

im sure past the 6th day the dailies will be shit and everyone here will be voicing their frustration while gifting bad rats

hmm, I was considering buying FFVIII but it seems S-E did the music swap thing again with this one, as well as other strange things, like 8-way movement (really?).

I guess I'll just use the PS1 version if I actually want to play it.
(it's been in the closet for years now, lol)

The only thing I've bought so far is 3DMark

After reading up on it a bit, Papers Please looks pretty intriguing. Missed the flash sale but I'm thinking it'll reappear at some point. Other than that, I think I'm good. Pre-ordered Revengeance as well so I think I'll be fine sitting this sale out.

hmm, I was considering buying FFVIII but it seems S-E did the music swap thing again with this one, as well as other strange things, like 8-way movement (really?).

Yeah i was planning to buy it as well but i already have it on my vita!

Finally started treating this like a Steam sale, and got Final Fantasy VII, Deponia (wasn't hugely a fan of the demo, but I like adventure games enough to try at 1.99), and Far Cry 3 + Deluxe Edition DLC (you save one cent doing it separately).

Video games, guys!

The_Monk

Waiting on a daily/flash sale. But it'll be mine before the end of the sale.

Ok Knock Knock is in my wishlist already , totally forget about it . Hopefully it hits Daily deal else 50% ain't too shabby .

Great to know, it might be a better experience during the Halloween but any time is good. It's also a game that it's not for everyone. Many will not enjoy the game or the story. I think it was quite clever to be honest.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Well there are people that like the elements they have added to certain franchises and judging by the sales of each it seams they could be the the majority as well. While I might find it mind numbly tedious to essentially check off lists there's 10s of thousands of people that play mmos for precisely that point. I just wish that Ubi wouldn't try and cram it into every single franchise of theirs.

I agree with you. For example I adore Far Cry 2 but don't like Far Cry 3 much and the bar filling is very much a part of why I dislike it. It's like how I find Ubisofts military games are all sort of blending into one another when they used to be pretty distinct.

If it wasn't for the pirate setting I'm not sure how I'd feel about it tbh.

smr00

Banned
Is Legend of Dungeon really good that people want it?
From what i hear it's fantastic with friends but seeing as everyone i know isn't into these type of games i will pass.

I really need to find friends who are open to try new things.

guilty as charged :(
well, we can't avoid everything, gotta be choosy
I thought it looked interesting so i redeemed it from a bundle only to find out it's a steaming pile of shit.

Arthea

but but but achievements!
I've played PS version many times, but I'll play steam one too!

JakeD

Alright, let me point to a less common/talked game fellow GAFfer.

Knock-Knock

It's 50% OFF

http://store.steampowered.com/app/250380/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_36

i got this on GOG as something to play for halloween. i put about 45 minutes into it and couldn't really get into it. it had a few great jump scares, cool art and great atmostphere, but i feel it took the "figure it out on your own" thing a bit too far. i feel like the majority of the time was spent wandering around the woods with no clue what to do next or how to get back to the house.

i'm going to give it another shot, though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom