• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

I have a question for all you folk with an absurd amount of games (500+). Do you find yourself actually planning on devoting some time to finishing all these games or are you more interested in the meta-game of collecting? Because it seems like I am finding myself more and more in the latter, just buying games but not giving them a shot. I don't know how to quit it, it's like a drug.

No matter what my profile page says, I've finished at least 70% of the games in my 500+ games library.

Really? Machinarium won? Don't get me wrong, I love the game and I encourage everyone to throw their money at all of Amanita Design's games, but IT'S ON SALE AND IN HUMBLE-STYLE BUNDLES ALL THE TIME. C'mon, son.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 14 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Stephen_drewz, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Toki Tori -- MB-E76B548E1B999826 - Taken by Accoun
Rush -- MB-A3CDB2BAC3DC1E4D - Taken by gngf123
Mirrors Edge -- MB-E3C757D9BC962057
Eets -- MB-0D70BC1D0C108E30 - Taken by Henry Swanson
Batman Arkham Asylum -- MB-8A781AAB7A04E3C6 - Taken by Frustrated_Grunt
Shank 2 -- MB-0F137A0D3DB9FB1D - Taken by Tellaerin
Cities In Motion 2 -- MB-F5CF8B1623AD8838 - Taken by didamangi
Medal Of Honor -- MB-6683BCB54805B871 - Taken by thereisnoif
Edge -- MB-F15DB62855F1FADC - Taken by LuffyZoro
Garrys Mod -- MB-1C489A6FF511DCDC - Taken by 73V3N
Serious Sam 3 BFE -- MB-78D3FC70A5AA4ECB - Taken by Arkanius
Fear -- MB-6EF8120F51B03CC5 - Taken by BadAss2961
Fear 3 -- MB-7FAE5181BFF0402E - Taken by Tambini
Fear 2 Project Origin -- MB-EBD4064A05FB6AC9 - Taken by mileS

Cleaning out humblebundle's. Please don't clutter the thread with thanks posts. Apologies in advance if any are taken. I don't think they are though.

FloatOn

What you need is to upload more Screenshots from Castlevania, that game looks so amazing!

will do. I'm glad you like what I've posted so far. the game really is a sight to behold. I'd recommend you playing it at some point, especially with that really great price on GMG.

I'll also agree that the first chapter is pretty slow but once you get towards the end of the second chapter the gameplay really opens up with the light and shadow magic abilities. It really makes you think about your play style.

I haven't played many of these character action games but with Castlevania I'm really beginning to understand their appeal. As a long time Castlevania fan I'm not even offended at the ways Lords of Shadow 'modernized' the series either. Some level sections even are somewhat sidescrolling :)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I have a question for all you folk with an absurd amount of games (500+). Do you find yourself actually planning on devoting some time to finishing all these games or are you more interested in the meta-game of collecting? Because it seems like I am finding myself more and more in the latter, just buying games but not giving them a shot. I don't know how to quit it, it's like a drug.

The way I look at it is not really buying games as much as buying variety.

I have a huge list of games, and I like that. I sort of treat it like Netflix for video games.

For a lot of the stuff, the games seem cool enough and they're cheap enough that for me it's worth paying the small price just to always have a huge library to choose from.

It's basically paying a price to have as few restrictions as possible. I like being able to play any game I want on a whim and for it to always be simply a download away.

I've got ~350 games. I haven't beaten most of them. I won't beat most of them. But I love being able to flip through and have a huge variety of options and have something to play for any mood.

And c'mon man, 75% off?! You gotta have it!!!

Eusis

Awesome, Machinarium won. Game is great, hopefully people pick it up.
Problem is... I think we all already did. Yet it won over something next to no one has yet probably. It's why these have been likened to a popularity contest, there'd be popular games everyone has winning out over ones that haven't gone on sale as often and aren't owned by practically everyone just yet. The popular game may well be the better one, but it makes it seem like people are voting JUST because they're fans of the game rather than because they actually haven't already gotten it.

Though admittedly sometimes you own the other games too or they're crap anyway, but I think among the group that follows Steam seriously enough it's not really an unknown treasure anymore.

brentech

Is there any actual real use for 3D mark or is it just sort of nice to know info about your rig?

It can be used to test stability of overclocks.
Yea, basically used for those 2 reasons. I will note that I tested a GPU over clock with it, a small it ran fine and performance was looking great, but in actual games it ended up not being stable.
So it's definitely not a definitive stability test either.

Machinarium is gorgeous and the music is fantastic. The puzzles are okay too. You can't go wrong with it at this sale price. Buy it now so we don't have people voting for it over new games that could use the exposure.
It's like an ever expanding library that you can't keep up with. I play and beat some of the games, but there is always new stuff every season and the prices are too good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

the way i see it is its more like a library than a collection, I like to be able to play whatever I want whenever I want on a whim...

...at least thats what I keep telling myself :(

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Really? Machinarium won? Don't get me wrong, I love the game and I encourage everyone to throw their money at all of Amanita Design's games, but IT'S ON SALE AND IN HUMBLE-STYLE BUNDLES ALL THE TIME. C'mon, son.

I'm glad for Amanita because that means more people will buy it.

pahamrick

Yea, basically used for those 2 reasons. I will note that I tested a GPU over clock with it, a small it ran fine and performance was looking great, but in actual games it ended up not being stable.
So it's definitely not a definitive stability test either.
How many times did you run it? Normally I loop the benchmarks enough times to last a couple hours to test.

The_Monk

will do. I'm glad you like what I've posted so far. the game really is a sight to behold. I'd recommend you playing it at some point, especially with that really great price on GMG.

I'll also agree that the first chapter is pretty slow but once you get towards the end of the second chapter the gameplay really opens up with the light and shadow magic abilities. It really makes you think about your play style.

I haven't played many of these character action games but with Castlevania I'm really beginning to understand their appeal. As a long time Castlevania fan I'm not even offended at the ways Lords of Shadow 'modernized' the series either. Some level sections even are somewhat sidescrolling :)

You uploaded a couple of them that really do shine. Keep it up because they are great, I remember one with some sort of brown "creature" and I was like: this game looks amazing. Great colors indeed. I have a family friend who become a huge fan of this game and I guess I'm starting to understand why.

Fireblend

Banned
I've been lucky; no game I'm interested in has been on sale (or less than $15) and my gf gifted me Shelter and To The Moon. I'm thinking unless Enemy Within gets a pretty crazy discount, I'm gonna end up not buying anything, which would be new.

Tucah

you speak so well
Having played the walking dead is the wolf among us worth checking. Is there anything from the fable comics i need to know before possibly buying it

If you liked TWD, you'll almost certainly like TWAU. It's a prequel to the comics so no knowledge is necessary.

Danielsan

I've been lucky; no game I'm interested in has been on sale (or less than $15) and my gf gifted me Shelter and To The Moon. I'm thinking unless Enemy Within gets a pretty crazy discount, I'm gonna end up not buying anything, which would be new.
To the Moon is great. I hope you enjoy it.

So far I've got about € 8 worth of damage. Not to bad, especially considering I got 6 games for that...

Mairu

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gemini Rue -- MB-55E7DF9CC1C57A93 - Taken by Baust
Zeno Clash -- MB-6B09FAC3C6B37C35 - Taken by legacyzero
Killing Floor -- MB-74A0391E3D592F28 - Taken by NG28
Little Inferno -- MB-C58AB88A48890751 - Taken by someguyinahat
Extras from Humble Bundles

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wheres mah Assassin's Creed 3 75% off Ubisoft? its about time >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom