• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

hey guys? some of us have jobs and lives that don't allow us to be at the computer right when the new sales go up. this is the first day since the sale started that i was sitting here when they did. so we aren't always up to speed on the absolute latest developments and quirks with how the sale functions. i understand it bloats the thread with needless "omg price error?!" posts, but honestly, it's a pretty benign mistake that resolves itself within minutes. relax.
100 posts in less than 5 minutes complaining about shit sales and bad discounts get really annoying, tho, especially if it happens three times a day, every single day of every single sale.

I may end up getting Dragon Age: Origins. I loathe the story/setting, and I already finished it on my PS3, but it's the only newish party-based isometric RPG that I know of.

Decisions.

hey guys? some of us have jobs and lives that don't allow us to be at the computer right when the new sales go up. this is the first day since the sale started that i was sitting here when they did. so we aren't always up to speed on the absolute latest developments and quirks with how the sale functions.

Irrelevant. Anyone who takes a cursory scan of any of these threads (or has been here for any day of the sale) would likely know that prices don't update instantly, even after being told (sometimes two or three times) by other users.

The fact that people get offended when they are called out on it is the best part.

Hubb

It's still pretty new, so I don't think Paradox will offer a deep discount.

Amazon had it for 10 dollars on the 19th. I should have jumped on it then, but I have credit on steam so I decided to wait. I think the most i can hope for out of steam is 50% off which is too much. I'll probably grab it in the summer sale then.

Tellaerin

I'll forever dislike Oblivion because of that damn level scaling.

Mods can fix that. Google around for Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul (OOO) and Francesco's. Thankfully I didn't start playing Oblivion until well after modders had their way with it, so it's been a very enjoyable experience for me. (No level scaling to deal with, no hideously deformed beasts vanilla NPC models, etc.)

smr00

Banned
Shadow Warrior.... you had me at, "Laser Guided Trolling" hahahah. Finally get to experience this game. Hope it's as great as the Features trailer makes it out to be!
The "You got the touch" trailer sold me on it.

I decided not to get Oblivion because i won't play it anytime soon. Ended up picking up Shadow Warrior special edition and DuckTales. Still don't know why i bought DuckTales

XShagrath

I heard about Castle but you sure about Ducktales? ill buy both if thats the case
Checking the Amazon sale spreadsheet off Reddit shows DuckTales at $5.99 both times it's on sale, and Castle of Illusion at $3.75.

I don't know if there's been an update, as I don't follow CAG much anymore.

Volotaire

I nearly forgot that the La Maluna I got from the Groupees Bundle a while ago updated with a steam key once it was available though their store..

Jawmuncher

Is Resident Evil 6 worth buying?

YES!
Don't let the naysayers drag that game down.
It has some of the most rewarding action gameplay to come out in quite some time.
The campaign isn't entirely flawless but isn't half as bad as some of the reviews made it out to be. If you need further proof how awesome the game can be watch one of Sectus RE6 videos. RE6 has quite the defense force for A reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF4u6yItCbY

Colin.

Once again, I could care less about the community choices. Went for Resident Evil, as it hasn't been discounted in 2 months. Dead Space 2 got one less than a month ago.

Edit: changed to Dmc, what the fuck?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
vote is still RE for me, maybe because I already voted?

Is it worth it to get the deluxe edition of Oblivion instead of the normal one? Not a huge price increase.
"Fighter's Stronghold Expansion, Spell Tome Treasures, Vile Lair, Mehrune's Razor and much more"

You can get similar stuff for free via mods.

Bought:
Oblivion
Rogue Legacy

EDIT: What the fuck @ Capcom(?) switching out RE6 for DmC. I voted for RE6 too... (already own it but more Mercenaries is always nice)

ZenaxPure

I haven't really been following this thread or the steam sale that much actually so I have to ask: has State of Decay been on a daily or flash or anything yet? It's honestly the only thing I'm interested in this year. Going to start trying to pay attention from here on, but mostly hoping I didn't miss it already by accident.

That is assuming it even gets a bigger discount, it is fairly new on Steam I guess.

Kapow

Purchased Witcher 2, Dragon Age, and Oblivion. Already 70 dollars spent this sale and this isnt even my first winter steam sale

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My Steam Review for Resident Evil 6:

Resident Evil 6 at its best is a varied and fun co-op experience that will keep you guessing what sort of scenario you'll find yourself in next, with some of the best controls in the series and some legitimate fun and tense segments. At its worst, it is a confused mess of ideas that tries to be everything, but doesn't quite refine or completely solidify any of its concepts. I almost reckon Resident Evil 6 to a grab-bag. It throws a lot at you; one moment you'll be in a ruined neighborhood in a zombie Apocalypse as chaos springs around you, next you'll be near-naked maneuvering a completely-white environment while stealthing to avoid setting off alarms, then flying a plane Ace Combat-style over the ocean, or scaling the side of a building as a colossal monster climbs right after you.

If you're the type of gamer who enjoys sometimes complete nonsense with a friend, but also the variety of situations appeals to you, this will be right up your alley. It is a fun co-op game, the combat isn't well explained and can be frustrating at first, but once you begin to 'get it', it actually is rather in-depth, and Mercenaries is a lot of fun (the most similar comparison I can give is to the game Vanquish, if you have played it, as the combat focuses a lot on dodging gracefully and sanctification from pulling off insane stunts by risk and reward). There's a lot of content here, with four campaigns (each completely different) that last 5-8 hours each, as well as an addicting Mercenaries Mode and a rather throw-away but still good for a few laughs mode where you control the monsters in other peoples games during certain gameplay segments.

But Resident Evil 6 is riddled with problems in its design, ranging from poor level-design, missing the sort of weapon upgrade system the last few 'action' RE titles incorporated to allow one to pick weapons by choice, the boss fights range from okay to dreadful (they're often more cinematic flairs than strategic or actually fun battles, which I felt RE4 and RE5 had), and simply some segments of the game just are not fun. And if you don't take the time to adjust to how the game plays (its pacing, controls, and the like on face value appear to be very much in-light with RE4 and RE5, but actually playing the game like those games isn't a lot of fun as the game is designed quite a bit differently) it is very possible you will not enjoy your time with it. It should also be mentioned that the story is terrible. Not cheesy B-fun like RE5 and RE4, not so-bad-its-good, but most of the story is just bad. I did enjoy some development in Chris's story, and the relationship between Jake and Sherry is cute, but outside of that, the basic 'plot' to the story almost feels like a fanfiction to the series.

But still, I had a lot of fun with it. Something about never knowing what to expect, going from one ridiculous scenario to the next with a friend, and coming to terms with the game and actually feeling pretty awesome fighting off a fairly large array of enemies in Mercenaries Mode was worth it for me, and for those who just want a good, often ridiculous time with a friend, Resident Evil 6 can deliver some good laughs and some high peaks in spades. Just expect to waddle a bit through some drudgery.

PS. I find a lot of people like different moments of the game the best, for the campaign, I will say my personal highs were (in no order) Leon Chapter 1, Leon Chapter 2, Jake Chapter 3, Jake Chapter 5, Chris Chapter 3, Chris Chapter 4, Ada Chapter 1, Ada Chapter 2, and Ada Chapter 4.

I should also mention the PC port of RE6 is actually really good, while Dead Space 2's PC port is kind of crap.

yoshizzle

I haven't really been following this thread or the steam sale that much actually so I have to ask: has State of Decay been on a daily or flash or anything yet? It's honestly the only thing I'm interested in this year. Going to start trying to pay attention from here on, but mostly hoping I didn't miss it already by accident.

That is assuming it even gets a bigger discount, it is fairly new on Steam I guess.

Nope, not yet.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I hate knowing i'd be saving a couple euro's on almost every purchase if I would live in the US. :(
7 euro's or 5 dollars for the Sleepy Dogs Complete is quite the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom