• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Not really feeling Rogue Legacy so far. Interesting premise, but the controls feel way too floaty and you seem really underpowered at the start for the amount of shit it throws at you. Hard to progress more than a few screens without dying. I'm assuming you're supposed to grind your way up to better stats so you can progress farther? That's...sort of lame.

It's very grindy. You can certainly advance without grinding it out, but you need to be pretty familiar with the game before you can do that.

I picked it up again this week after the new patch and realized my problem with the controls isn't the controls themselves, it's that it is so precise and the animation has so few frames that it feels really jerky. It makes the game feel a lot more frantic and out of control than it really is. You've got a great amount of control, but the movement isn't done justice early game. You need to get a few double jump, dash, or speed runes for the platforming (and enemy dodging) to be as fun as it can be.

hohoXD123

Thinking about maybe possibly at some point pulling the trigger on my first purchases of this sale...

11500606553_691e5c8d3d_o.png

#thevalue

Do+It.gif

FloatOn

ugh.... I'm at the actually end of chapter 2 of lords of shadow and it's another shadow of the colossus clone. the game tells me that this is last one of the "titans" so thank god for that.

regarding ducktales.... seems I may have misread someone quoting tony a week or so back

according to this spreadsheet it's going to be 5.99 on jan 1. so you are clear to buy

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx...xlsx&app=Excel&wdo=2&authkey=!AATMzG9fkdMXeNE

then again this doesn't list castle of illusion at all and I seem to remember reading that would be 3.75 as well

apologies

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
So RE was wrong about the price and KenOD was wrong about the date. Oy vey.

But you know, I think I know how this confusion started. It's Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara that's gonna be $3.75 on the 25th. So maybe somebody's brain (mine, definitely) remembered it was some game from Capcom that started in "Du"...but not the correct one.

Kaleinc

Banned
Nooooope. DMC3 is admittedly harder than both 4 and SE. It's in fact on DMC1-levels of difficulty. I prefer Vanilla DMC3 over SE, honestly.
One style at a time, poor enemy design, no DMC3 is inferior. Demons triggering like crazy and sloth gaining a raid boss lifebar don't make it a better game.

Neiteio

In the flash sale vote, did they change RE6 to DmC? Because I could've swore RE6 was there. I voted for RE6, it still says I already voted, and the other options are the same...

yuraya

DS1>DS2>Extraction>Movie 1> Movie 2>>>>>>>>Shit>>>>DS3

Lol thats good to hear. I've heard some bad things about DS3 so no surprise. but DS2 seems like a solid game hopefully it wins the vote. DS1 was probably the best horror games I've ever played (outside of the first couple of silent hill games)

Blitzhex

I got Shadow Warrior + Rogue Legacy for 10 dollars, and I got the 10 dollars from selling free steam cards..... what now console gaming?!

Danielsan

Figured I'd post a little giveaway too.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).
Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Trine 2 Complete Story -- MB-CEDBBDFBBBAAF51E - Taken by Wake. 5 entrants total.
Limbo -- MB-D44B3EF4C273875D - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 2 entrants total.

t1387751055z1.png

Good luck!

It can be very grindy early on. You would probably be dying often very on because you can sustain yourself. Once you buy certain abilities and upgrades, it becomes much easier and fun.

you can kind of determine that yourself given the how the game works. if you grind enough you can make the entire thing a cakewalk.

Thanks guys. Seems like it isn't too bad, I don't mind games that give a fair challenge, I just hate being frustrated.

KlotePino

Do you guys think there's any chance brothers will drop further than 50%? Thinking about grabbing it because of the Giantbomb GOTY talk coming up soon. 7 bucks is a reasonable price but this sale is costing me too much already.

Caerith

Not really feeling Rogue Legacy so far. Interesting premise, but the controls feel way too floaty and you seem really underpowered at the start for the amount of shit it throws at you. Hard to progress more than a few screens without dying. I'm assuming you're supposed to grind your way up to better stats so you can progress farther? That's...sort of lame.
There's a two-pronged approach to Rogue Legacy:
  • Improve your skills at the game, by practice or by familiarity.
  • Improve your stats so you can kill faster and take more hits before you die.
The movement takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of things you'll start to see the upgrades as a bit superfluous outside of boss fights and NG+.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
ugh.... I'm at the actually end of chapter 2 of lords of shadow and it's another shadow of the colossus clone. the game tells me that this is last one of the "titans" so thank god for that.

That's where I stopped playing the game. I just wasn't having fun with such boss battles and feared more of that. If that is the last of them, maybe I'll try again and force my way through if it gets any better.

regarding ducktales.... seems I may have misread someone quoting tony a week or so back

according to this spreadsheet it's going to be 5.99 on jan 1. so you are clear to buy

https://skydrive.live.com/view.aspx...xlsx&app=Excel&wdo=2&authkey=!AATMzG9fkdMXeNE

then again this doesn't list castle of illusion at all and I seem to remember reading that would be 3.75 as well

apologies

Castle of Illusion will be at $3.75 USD on the 25th only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom