• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Heard some good stuff about Rogue Legacy on Weekend Confirmed this week and was hoping it would go on sale. It did so I bought. I'm don't usually like hardcore platformers but I am kind of humbled by this nonsense lol..

Any advice for someone who is totally new to this game or genre?

I have been looking at that game as well, and I'm tempted to pick it up. How do you like it so far?

Divius

Just got my first foil \o/

PlHQIsu.png

Just bought some Sleeping Dogs DLC, and I'm trying to get the Dragon Master Pack for $1.59, but when I click Purchase For Myself on the cart page (both in-browser and through Steam itself), it says this:

9FQ4jJ2.png

Except I don't own any of the DLC items included in the pack. Neither Steam nor Enhanced Steam indicate ownership of any of the DLC items, and adding each individual item and the pack to the cart displays "This item is already in your cart" for the items and "All items in this pack already in cart" for the pack. Should I bite the bullet and pay for all 5 DLC separately for $2.95?

Have you right clicked Sleeping Dogs in your library and checked the Downloadable Content menu? It may be you do already own it but the store just isn't showing for some reason.

Heard some good stuff about Rogue Legacy on Weekend Confirmed this week and was hoping it would go on sale. It did so I bought. I'm don't usually like hardcore platformers but I am kind of humbled by this nonsense lol..

Some people might tell you to take each death as a learning experience. I'm not sure about that. I'd say to take each death with the smallest of grains of salt.

To paraphrase my favorite movie, "Sometimes you eat the bar. And sometimes, well, the bar eats you."

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
People talking about the GAF group when I got invited, joined and then two seconds later left the group. B)

Don't see the point of groups since no one really uses them.

The chat is used enough times to make it worth it. Beyond that, looking in the Group tab to quickly find people just specific group rather than the whole friend list helps make it easier to find specific people you want to PM or invite to a game.

If we were to make a tournament or set up a period to play a game together, we would do that through Events to help keep track.

It looks nice on the profile.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The stretching in Portal 2 looks like the resolution is wrong or something. Things stretch as they approach the left and right side of the screen. The resolution and aspect ratio setting are correct though :(

Dambrosi

Banned
Do it.

Both excellent games, Antichamber is 75% off, definitely won't get any cheaper than that.
Yeah, I went for Rogue Legacy on its own in the end, Antichamber can wait till tomorrow.

Well, I better try this new game out, then.

Well, I still say Risk Of Rain is the better game, if only by initial impressions, but RL certainly beats it in terms of graphics and overall presentation. I love that even the female knights have beards! I hate giving Charon all my money at the beginning of a new run! I am actively avoiding using anyone with the Vertigo trait! I am hungry and tired and I want to curl up in my pre-warmed bed with a bacon butty and a hot cup of tea, so I'll go do that. After I've had a go of Legend Of Dungeon, which I bought earlier on for about a quid, that is.

The stretching in Portal 2 looks like the resolution is wrong or something. Things stretch as they approach the left and right side of the screen. The resolution and aspect ratio setting are correct though :(

It sounds like your FOV is set too high. I believe in Portal 2 you can adjust FOV in the graphics menu, check in there otherwise you'll have to use the console.

KenOD

-Deaths aren't important. Fear no losing a single character, Rogue Legacy makes it so you start right back up with some changes.
-Armour and weapons can go a long way early on, so focus on that a bit more than individual stat boosts.
-Destroy everything. Don't leave an area until you've killed all the enemies and destroyed every object, you want that gold.
-Only upgrade the Pogo stick attack once, beyond that it's the least important of all stats.
-One of the best runes (extra abilities) you can get is the double jump. Air dash can get you a long way as well.
-The cost of activating each rune goes up each time you do so, so don't activate one unless you really want to use it.
-Use a controller. Play around with the settings for the best feel of sensitivity for the down attack.
- Yes it's a game of "grinding", but you can get quite far without grinding. Learn how best to swing the sword for the widest arc (you can attack from underneath an enemy at times), learn how best to use that magic (make an opponent get hit twice with an axe or circle disc thing), etc.
- Don't be afraid to use your magic, it's there to kill enemies, don't let it just sit there not helping you. The game will provide a good amount of potions to refil it and later runes or armour can help get it back as well.
-Have fun.

Just got my first foil \o/

Congrats. Someday I'll join you.

Amen to that. Never buy an Arkham game at launch. Unless you're going for +1 game count.

Groups are like badges you don't have to buy cards for.

After making the mistake of getting Asylum and City early on due to good sales for PS3, I'm not doing that again. Game of the Year for Origins and beyond, it has to be that way for me now because I love all those challenge rooms so much and it's not worth buying them individually.

Piano

Banned
It sounds as though you've got the FOV slider up all the way. Try dialing it back a bit until you don't get as much distortion.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I've got 8 hours on Superfrog HD

I don't even know what that game is.
Why 8 hours? You could have gotten all cards in 2 hours, lol.

And that game is one of the most boring platformers I've played. FInished the first 2 levels and decided I had enough of it. Floaty jumps, awful camera (seriously, how can someone fuck up the camera in a 2D platformer?) and ugly art style. Trying it made me wish I was playing Jazz Jackrabbit 2 instead.

Terra_Ex

Just bought some Sleeping Dogs DLC, and I'm trying to get the Dragon Master Pack for $1.59, but when I click Purchase For Myself on the cart page (both in-browser and through Steam itself), it says this:

9FQ4jJ2.png

Except I don't own any of the DLC items included in the pack. Neither Steam nor Enhanced Steam indicate ownership of any of the DLC items, and adding each individual item and the pack to the cart displays "This item is already in your cart" for the items and "All items in this pack already in cart" for the pack. Should I bite the bullet and pay for all 5 DLC separately for $2.95?

Could you not just buy it as a gift, store it in your inventory and activate from there?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Thoughts on max payne?

Are we talking about the third one or the first one?

If talking about the first one, its aged in some ways, but still is interesting to see how many games took inspiration from it, and the gunplay is still very satisfying with some real cool moments sprinkled throughout the adventure.

jmizzal

I got my first earlier (Bull from Hotline Miami I think), sold it too :p While I will admit I collect Pokemon cards in real life, I don't see the appeal of Steam cards cluttering up my inventory.

Yea I got a Hotline Miami foil today too i'm trying to sell it so I can buy to other Hotline Miami cards, then a can craft a badge and level up to 5

Are we talking about the third one or the first one?

If talking about the first one, its aged in some ways, but still is interesting to see how many games took inspiration from it, and the gunplay is still very satisfying with some real cool moments sprinkled throughout the adventure.

Oh yes, part 3, I passed on a couple of deals in the past and still hesitant even at $4, ha, just so many games to catch up on.

Caerith

Don't go crazy unlocking stuff in the castle while you're still learning the controls. Each life, you get to pick from three random characters whose classes are randomly picked from the classes you have unlocked-- it is easier to play a handful of classes until you're good at them than it is to play a different class every time.

You should prioritize spending gold on equipment first, then runes, then upgrades to your current classes (ie, barbarian -> barbarian king), then stats like HP, equip weight up, and attack/defense/crits. Runes get more expensive the more you buy, so for those try to prioritize mobility (jump and dash) over stuff like vampirism.

The exception to "don't go crazy unlocking stuff" is that there's a passive that gives you more gold. Its location in the manor is
off to the right, beyond archaeologist

Burgers

Neo Member
I have made about $3 selling trading cards. Should I try to scrounge together two dollars more for Rogue Legacy, or wait and see what else I can spend my current $3 on?

KenOD

What kind of game is You Dont Know Jack and is it worth 10$ from the Humble Store?

Trivia questions in a humourous and fast pace notion quiz show fashion. There should be a Facebook version you can try out for free.

The worth of a bundle, well depends on how much you enjoy that type of thing and if you want more questions.

I have made about $3 selling trading cards. Should I try to scrounge together two dollars more for Rogue Legacy, or wait and see what else I can spend my current $3 on?

Rogue Legacy has cards, so just give yourself an IOU. Really stoked about the patch from the other day, would never have realized it but for this thread.

dream

You know...Castlevania: Lord of Shadows is surprisingly not bad. It's not great, but it's a surprisingly inoffensive game at the $8 price point.

I'm going super cheap mode. I bought La Mulana, and selling the cards from it before I buy Rogue Legacy. Then I'll sell the rogue legacy cards and hope something else I want goes on sale (hoping for a lower sale on Paranautical Activity or Risk of Rain).

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Walking Dead has been on sale a bajillion times and Dead Space 2 has a pretty crappy PC port and goes on sale every sale as well.

That's how you know one of those two are going to win.

I'm going super cheap mode. I bought La Mulana, and selling the cards from it before I buy Rogue Legacy. Then I'll sell the rogue legacy cards and hope something else I want goes on sale (hoping for a lower sale on Paranautical Activity or Risk of Rain).

Our avatars match almost!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom