• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wookieomg

Ok thanks. My friend said he would not recommend Dragon Age Origins either. So looks like I'll skip both.

I can wholeheartedly recommend both DAO and Witcher 2... They are fantastic games, and both have a lot to offer. Witcher 2 is the better of the two, in my opinion, though. Do it!

Steam responds negatively to anything that goes in for being vaguely "artsy" or minimizing standard gameplay elements.

Yeah, it seems as if the game is polarized. People either love it or hate it. Though the complaints I have seen are absurd, "This isn't game," Not saying that that is the only complaint everyone has, but it for the most part outside of GAF that is what I have seen.

I've actually been on both sides of the fence so I can kind of see why it happens. For example, I loved Gone Home, Journey and the Stanley Parable but I didn't enjoy Dear Esther at all. Games like these that forgo traditional gameplay elements have to hook you with their narrative, and that sometimes doesn't click with everyone. Still, I thought Gone Home did an okay job in this regard given that there are multiple different stories being told while you play it so anyone can find something of interest.

Another major complaint was that it's not worth it's regular $20 price. While it's not fair to judge an experience like this by it's length, it is a pretty short game. I'm not sure how I would feel if I had paid full price instead of the $5 I paid for it in a sale.

kurahador

The problem with Witcher 2 is that it keeps throwing names as if we know everything. It's definitely hard to keep up at times.

I don't remember DAO did it too much, the game is definitely more inviting than Witcher 2 lore wise.

The problem with Witcher 2 is that it keeps throwing names as if we know everything. It's definitely hard to keep up at times.

I don't remember DAO did it too much, the game is definitely more inviting than Witcher 2 lore wise.
It's a sequel in an established universe, of course it does that.

Miker

the only way to get holiday/snow globe cards is to
(1) buy games
(2) community
(3) vote

anything else?
does idling give any?

You get a card for each $10 you spend (pre-orders don't count). You can also buy them from the market. I don't think you can get them via idling.

Gazoinks

I've actually been on both sides of the fence so I can kind of see why it happens. For example, I loved Gone Home, Journey and the Stanley Parable but I didn't enjoy Dear Esther at all. Games like these that forgo traditional gameplay elements have to hook you with their narrative, and that sometimes doesn't click with everyone. Still, I thought Gone Home did an okay job in this regard given that there are at least four different stories being told while you play it so anyone will find something of interest.

Another major complaint was that it's not worth it's regular $20 price. While it's not fair to judge an experience like this by it's length, it is a pretty short game. I'm not sure how I would feel if I had paid full price instead of the $5 I paid for it in a sale.

Yeah, after I wrote that I realized it sounded more condescending than I intended it to. I actually have a lot of problems with "art games" that are basically walking down a path while being preached at, and length is of course always a consideration.

That being said, it gets really tiring when the automatic reaction to this sort of thing is "THIS ISN'T A GAME GO AWAY AAAAAH", but I guess that's the internet.

bsK4bJE.jpg

Crusader Kings II is awesome.

I'm surprised that Steam user reviews (and the Metacritic user score) are largely negative though.

$20 for a 2-hour game whose creators (rightly or wrongly) encourage everyone to keep even its basic thematic content secret so lots of people who buy it feel misled about what they're getting.

I've actually been on both sides of the fence so I can kind of see why it happens. For example, I loved Gone Home, Journey and the Stanley Parable but I didn't enjoy Dear Esther at all.

Narrative-driven experiential games can also be good or bad. :p

I've actually been on both sides of the fence so I can kind of see why it happens. For example, I loved Gone Home, Journey and the Stanley Parable but I didn't enjoy Dear Esther at all. Games like these that forgo traditional gameplay elements have to hook you with their narrative, and that sometimes doesn't click with everyone. Still, I thought Gone Home did an okay job in this regard given that there are multiple different stories being told while you play it so anyone will find something of interest.

I agree, if the plot for Gone Home did not stick then the game would have been bad. I heard the one big issue with Dear Esther was that the island was too big for the kind of game it was, took forever to get to particular areas and what not.

Price tag is a bit steep so I can see why people would get upset. I personally would pay 20$ for the game, now.

vg260

I guess me and you come from different eras...

I've been gaming since the 2600 :) Time is the issue for me nowadays. I just don't have time to play everything I want to, and games that are mercilessly difficult and repetitious are more frustrating than fun for me in that regard.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How does this work? Does it just give the achievment tied to the account tied to the email?

No. They confirm your picture and then give you the achievement. It's a viral-style achievement and it's royally stupid to people like me that are sort-of completionists. Yes, because you're going to be in my part of the world to share a beer with, developer. :|

It does continue after the first game.

I think what they mean is that it doesn't start immediately after the end of The Witcher, but instead leaps forward and drops you into the middle of the story it's built around (In Media Res means to start in the middle of the story instead of the beginning) and fills you in through the rest of the game.

I had never played a WRPG before DAO (with the exception of maybe Oblivion). I instantly fell in love with the game. Its fantastic.

I seriously would pick the two of them up and try them out. They are both great games.

I can wholeheartedly recommend both DAO and Witcher 2... They are fantastic games, and both have a lot to offer. Witcher 2 is the better of the two, in my opinion, though. Do it!

Well, fuck. Which one has better combat? If it helps, I really liked Fable 1. And I like Torchlight 2 and Xenoblade, but I don't think those are comparable in any way, judging from the gameplay vids I watched of DAO and TW2.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I am having fun with Skyrim, but I never played Oblivion.

I see it on sale.

Will I like it if I like Skyrim? Or will it look and run very dated after playing Skyrim (I heavily mod Skyrim).

Derrick01

Banned
Crusader Kings II is awesome.

It is indeed. If we re-voted for 2012 goty it would be mine. I really liked the walking dead and originally picked it #1 but I haven't touched it since I finished episode 5 given its extremely linear nature whereas I've dumped another 74 hours into CK2 this year and kept having new experiences.

Well, fuck. Which one has better combat? If it helps, I really liked Fable 1. And I like Torchlight 2 and Xenoblade, but I don't think those are comparable in any way, judging from the gameplay vids I watched of DAO and TW2.
None of them is "better", they are just different.

Well, imo, Witcher 2 is better in every way. But they both play differently so it is not fair to really compare.

So Rogue Legacy is starting grow on me now that I've upgraded my character enough to stand a fighting chance.

Overall, I'm enjoying Risk of Rain a whole lot more as far as these types of games go though.

Still on the fence on picking up Duck Tales in the last hour of its flash.

Robot Pants

Future congrats. I'm at 227.

Not that this is a huge number by any means, I'm sure there are just insane Steam libraries out there, but I was just reminded of that cat paw over the users mouse picture and was surprised no one has made a "it's time to stop buying" picture.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual

Dragon Age Origins it's an old school real-time with pause, meaning that you control your party in real time, but you can hit pause to decide you next move. You can give orders to all the characters.
The Witcher 2 it's more like an action game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom