• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

Played through To The Moon this afternoon. Was a huge pain in the ass to navigate the characters around the environment but the story was pretty nice and engrossing.

All them feels. :(

iUv1vD4uLfTLK.png

I am having fun with Skyrim, but I never played Oblivion.

I see it on sale.

Will I like it if I like Skyrim? Or will it look and run very dated after playing Skyrim (I heavily mod Skyrim).

Skyrim is pretty much the exact same thing but a little better in some ways. If you have that, I don't see a great need to ever get Oblivion.

Is ducktales worth it at that price?

I've never played the NES game and I don't have the greatest memory of the TV show.

Without Nostalgia? I'd say no.

How does the combat in TW2 compare to TW1? Because it is terrible in TW1.

I found it much better (more action). It still isn't "great" but it is more than good enough.

Well, fuck. Which one has better combat? If it helps, I really liked Fable 1. And I like Torchlight 2 and Xenoblade, but I don't think those are comparable in any way, judging from the gameplay vids I watched of DAO and TW2.

The Witcher 2 has much more action-based combat (disclaimer: I've only played it for about two hours) with you needing to dodge enemies, with manual attacks and everything. So, combat really plays more like an action game than a traditional RPG. DAO on the other hand IS more of a traditional RPG with less focus on action (you can even pause the combat to issue commands) where you just need to position yourself well and can either auto-attack or trigger special abilities, and everything is ruled by the virtual dice.

Skyrim is pretty much the exact same thing but a little better in some ways. If you have that, I don't see a great need to ever get Oblivion.

Without Nostalgia? I'd say no.

I found it much better (more action). It still isn't "great" but it is more than good enough.

Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood>99% of the quests in Skyrim.

TokiDoki

Well, fuck. Which one has better combat? If it helps, I really liked Fable 1. And I like Torchlight 2 and Xenoblade, but I don't think those are comparable in any way, judging from the gameplay vids I watched of DAO and TW2.

Based on the games you like , I think you'll do fine with TW2 .

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The system hasn't changed since the Summer Sale, but having sale cards drop alongside normal cards in the lead-up to the start of a sale (not all the time but semi-regularly), in addition to having them replace the discount coupons typically received upon crafting a badge, isn't a bad idea.

Omega

Banned
If you get the Witcher 2 and download the Full Combat Rebalance, just ignore all the in-game tips.

The tips tell you the controls from the base game, and there's no way to change the controls for the mod. For about 30 minutes I was wondering why E wasn't blocking, but instead using a spell

I would like to buy Max Payne 3, but I was wondering if the DRM (Rockstar Social Club) is intrusive or not.

Trying to initially sign in was a fucking nightmare. Which is required to actually play the game, there is no way to bypass it.

I had 3 hours logged in on Steam for Max Payne before I even managed to log in.

I'd say just skip this piece of shit, it's not even a good game. Save yourself the $4 or whatever it's going for now, there's a reason it's that cheap.

Derrick01

Banned

The quests were waaaaay better designed than Skyrim's, which was basically handled like a MMO with nothing but fetch and kill X amount quests. There were also quite a few abilties/skills that were taken out from Oblivion to Skyrim for no real reason other than to make Skyrim even more accessible. Item degradation being taken out also bummed me out. It wasn't the best designed system in Oblivion but the answer isn't the patented Bioware "fuck it take it out completely instead of actually working on improving it" response. The cities were a lot bigger than Skyrim's cities villages. I also remember reading not long ago on here that Oblivion's NPC AI was a lot more complex but I don't know how true that is. Something about having way more lines of code to them.

Skyrim's improvements were in areas that I feel are not very important for RPGs, especially when these improvements come at the expense of RPG elements. Stuff like graphics, combat (because it's still god awful by action standards) and other cinematic elements. They're at the point now where they've stripped away so much that I don't even consider them RPGs anymore, I just consider them generic "open world" games like I would with something like Assassin's Creed or Grand Theft Auto.

Caerith

It's a lot better IMO.

uh it's pretty awkward but it's much better. also I think it's somewhat better balanced now with all the patches and stuff
Any advice for getting through TW1 combat with as little hassle as possible? I don't mean the usual steel vs silver advice (I don't even have the silver sword yet, but I've read the books), and I intend to explore and sidequest as much as possible (I mean, my first playthrough of New Vegas clocked in at 195 hours, so I like to be thorough), but the combat... feels really unresponsive and random. Is there some way to cheese it?

Arthea

Everyone needs to board this feels train.

No feels were delivered in my place, so, everyone can't board that train ;)
OTOH I boarded Journey train and it was glorious, with feels and all. So there are to had feels for everybody, just in different ways.

How sad is it? Will it really make me cry? Because I do not like crying, it makes me sad.

I don't see how to the Moon can make anyone cry, but then again people are different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom