• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
If you had to pick one between Rogue Legacy and Spelunky which would it be and why? :)

It's about what I prefer at a given moment.

Spelunky is a game all about learning and mastering skills, where the sense of progression is based upon your ability to react to the same circumstances altered for each attempt and responding better. Where the ultimate reward is completion from your own skills of mastering the challenge.
When you die, you start all over and the only thing you have to hold to really is what can you recall previously. I seek this out when I wish to enjoy a struggle, a challenge, and have that sense of accomplishment for how far I get compared to times before. Getting as close to or passing the finish line in one sprint because that's all I was going for.

Rogue Legacy is an action game where if you let it, most every attempt will usher a form of progression and sense of completion. You beat a boss and it remains defeated, you got enough gold to buy a stat increase it will carry over for all characters no matter how many times the world changes, you discover something like armour blueprint you will have it ready to buy and use forever, it is not lost. Learning how to best react to situations and enemies, knowing how everything behaviours will get you farther than not learning, but for some they can jut "grind" to eventually overcome most of these issues and going straight to a boss you haven't defeated yet.
You can play it without buying upgrades of stats save for perhaps a few, and it does reward skill of mastery with it's controls and techniques. I've got as much out of it by ignoring all but the added abilities and that found in the castle itself with no grinding what so ever, as I did by trying to get all the stats and builds possible. No matter what however, that sense of beating boss by boss and the base design of what you play is always present. Thus this is a game I play to feel like I've accomplished something, that I got something out of my activities more often than not and my profile is better off it.

Both great games, both amazingly fun times if you can get into them (and plenty of reasons not to for either), but if I had to choose I would go for Rogue Legacy just because I can enjoy myself more with the variety of different builds of abilities or stats focuses between profiles, on top of improving in skill. It offers me more options than Spelunky's style of one base character type where I may play better or worse than before, ultimately it's the same type of play each time.

LuuKyK

New Tomb Raider is nothing like the old Tomb Raiders. They completely flipped the gameplay around. Whereas in the old games the levels were the real enemy and occasionally shooting animals and armed enemies was a small side show to the main event the new Tomb Raider is all about shooting things with very rare and poorly designed environmental puzzles. There are plenty of games like that. Classic Tomb Raider was the only game that used the game world as antagonist though.

I see. I think you could probably only tell that if you played the older TR games, which I didn't, so maybe thats why. I was merely judging it on how I thought they played like, but if I am wrong about it, and it seems to be the case, then I guess the complaints do make sense...

Annubis

Now lets look at Amazon.ca

X-COM Enemy Within
sGYxl5V.jpg

Damn you Amazon.ca
DAMN YOU!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Tomb Raider 2013 straddles the same awkward gap that Hitman Absolution did and Thi4f likely will in that it's not inherently a bad game, it's also not a great entry in its own series. Tomb Raider 2013 feels weirdly out of place because Crystal Dynamics had been on the right track with Legend, Anniversary and Underworld and TR2013 kind of threw that all away. The story tries to convey how vulnerable and inexperienced Lara is, meanwhile you're murdering hundreds of dudes in the game almost from word go and surviving these ridiculous scripted sequences. She's fragile in the cinematics and superhuman in the game. The story also starts off trying to be relatively grounded but by the end it's all Big Trouble in Little China ridiculous. Initially you have to hunt for food/survival but that mechanic/interesting idea is tossed aside almost as quickly as it was introduced. It quickly becomes a means to farm for the dumb arbitrary experience bar system so you can unlock abilities and feel like you're progressing. It really felt like Uncharted with a different protagonist and a dumb experience system tacked on to it.

Worth 10$? Sure, I guess.

I've never played DA2, so I can't comment on it but what I've played of Origins, the mythos and world of Dragon Age are derivative, black and white Tolkien-fare. The Witcher is a much more established world that goes beyond just the two games to the novels they're loosely based off of. So yeah, maybe The Witcher games aren't as transparent as they could be but it's really hard to fuck up the archetypal things they're going for in Dragon-Age.

DA2 is a mediocre cash in on the success of Dragon Age: Origins. It was supposed to be a simple expansion pack that was rushed to market and repackaged as a full on sequel while being neither the former or latter.

HKnightz

On the fence with Shadow warrior, hotline miami at humble, Spelunky, rogue legacy, the bridge. What makes these games so fun? Thanks :)

DA2 is a mediocre cash in on the success of Dragon Age: Origins. It was supposed to be a simple expansion pack that was rushed to market and repackaged as a full on sequel while being neither the former or latter.

Actually, what I had heard was that the game was a completely different IP that was kitbashed into the DA universe. Supposedly, it came out unfinished and nowhere near BW's usual level of polish.

One thing's for sure - the game was a rush job.

olimpia84

The only two games I have on my wishlist are Typing of the Dead Overkill and System Shock 2 but I want both of them to drop even more in price :(

Stitch

Gold Member
So FarCry 2 is supposed to be this crazy awesome immersive sandbox jungle game, right? Like better than FarCry3 which is 'just a game'?

Thinking about pulling the cord on this one.

It's a very immersive malaria and "everyone in africa is crazy and wants to kill me" simulator.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

I've never heard DA2 was an expansion. I can believe it was a side product/offshoot that got pushed to the forefront based on DA:O's success when it clearly wasn't ready, though.

RedSwirl

Okay what's Strike Suit Zero really like? With the Steam credit I just got from selling a foil I can shave the current sale price down to like $2.75.

I've never played complex PC space sims before. The closest things I've played are Star Fox, Ace Combat, and Rogue Squadron. I played a demo of StarLancer once.

So FarCry 2 is supposed to be this crazy awesome immersive sandbox jungle game, right? Like better than FarCry3 which is 'just a game'?

Thinking about pulling the cord on this one.
A lot of people dislike Far Cry 2, and the complaints are not without merit; it's really one that clicks with you or frustrates you outright. Far Cry 3 is the antithesis of 2 for better or worse, but it's an utterly mundane game designed to play as inoffensively as possible.

Far Cry 2 is oppressive, Far Cry 2 is not your friend, Far Cry 2 makes it apparent that it does not like you. You will constantly be chased by mercenaries in patrol posts, your weapons will jam, you'll have a fit of malaria in the most inopportune time, you'll repeatedly hop out of your jeep in order to tighten the nut in front of the engine that magically fixes it, but when you get things going your way on an improvisation during a mission it just makes it all work. I wouldn't recommend playing it for the story, or in long stretches, it's really a game driven by its mechanics; so just take the game on a couple missions at a time and give it a shot.

border

Is there any point in getting the Special Edition of Shadow Warrior? Are the extra weapons interesting at all, or just re-skins?

Actually, what I had heard was that the game was a completely different IP that was kitbashed into the DA universe. Supposedly, it came out unfinished and nowhere near BW's usual level of polish.

It was a rush job, but for a rush job, it was pretty solid. It was really apparent in some areas, though, such as having only one room for every dungeon. It gets way too much hate just because of:
1) EA
2) Dragon Age gave people the feels

akira28

Hahah thanks folks. I do not, in fact, want malaria for the holidays. I will spend my trading card profits elsewhere.

edit: or maybe I will sell more cards and wait for a daily sale.

I see. I think you could probably only tell that if you played the older TR games, which I didn't, so maybe thats why. I was merely judging it on how I thought they played like, but if I am wrong about it, and it seems to be the case, then I guess the complaints do make sense...

I was never a Tomb Raider fan and the shift was pretty off-putting. So little of that game consists of anything other than shooting and the shooting is so weak. People nominate that as GotY with a straight face despite it doing little of anything worthy of praise as a game over others released this year.

It honestly might not do anything better than other games this year.

Oreoleo

Spelunky is the choice.

Rogue Legacy is really good. For my opinion on Spelunky, consult the post below:

So...yeah. Spelunky.

It's about what I prefer at a given moment.
Both great games, both amazingly fun times if you can get into them (and plenty of reasons not to for either), but if I had to choose I would go for Rogue Legacy just because I can enjoy myself more with the variety of different builds of abilities or stats focuses between profiles, on top of improving in skill. It offers me more options than Spelunky's style of one base character type where I may play better or worse than before, ultimately it's the same type of play each time.

Thanks for the replies guys. Rickenslacker I've seen the hours you put into Spelunky so I'm glad to hear your opinions on it. The breadth of the gameplay and the focus on player ability versus stat points and character upgrades in Rogue Legacy lead me to think I'd prefer Spelunky more. Hopefully it hits 75% off again like it did in Thanksgiving sale.

It was a rush job, but for a rush job, it was pretty solid. It was really apparent in some areas, though, such as having only one room for every dungeon. It gets way too much hate just because of:
1) EA

To be fair, it's total bullshit that there's only three or four dungeon layouts in the whole game with palette/texture swaps galore. And I think it's fair that people didn't like the multiple spawning waves of enemies during every encounter, which made character formations essentially pointless (since leaving your mages in the back was basically an invitation to Bioware to spawn all sorts of mess right on top of them because reasons).

But yeah, I ended up liking Dragon Age 2, even if it wasn't as good as the first game.

Annubis

1) EA

Errrr... did you try playing on a difficulty that's not normal?

The game is balanced so badly that if you play a mage/rogue on the hardest difficulty, you literally get one hit killed in the duel against the big guy.
The only way to win is to slow him down and cheese ranged attacks for like 30+ minutes.
You also have to break the AI so he doesn't use his grab because that thing has a magical infinity range.

(Warriors can survive... but I'm not really sure how they could even win since they can't range)

Guys I have already beat Dragon Age back in the day but how is mod support? Worth it to get it again for the mods (if there are any)? I remember NWN days... It was amazing how much user made content was available and also really good

O.DOGG

I wouldn't recommend playing it for the story, or in long stretches, it's really a game driven by its mechanics; so just take the game on a couple missions at a time and give it a shot.

Actually, I think its story is one of its greatest achievements, elevating its shooter mechanics to something truly great. It was one of the first games that made me question my actions in the game and their consequences in similar way that Spec Ops did. But you need to advance quite a bit in the game to get it, or so it was for me. I consider Far Cry 2 a masterpiece but it's absolutely not for everyone.

I hate the cutscenes.

They're the only thing keeping the game from being my most played TPS. The game's still worth trying for the gameplay alone, even if it's not your cup of tea.

Such a shame that people are passing the game up when it's $2.49 because people just say it's objectively bad (w/o justification on top of that).

Does Malaria lower your health in Far Cry 2 or something? Briefly played it a long time ago. I don't remember anything about it lol.
It throbs your screen and temporarily makes you unable to sprint. If you don't medicate and have a few attacks (happens every 40 minutes or so), you eventually pass out and wake up at a church.

Actually, I think its story is one of its greatest achievements, elevating its shooter mechanics to something truly great. It was one of the first games that made me question my actions in the game and their consequences in similar way that Spec Ops did. But you need to advance quite a bit in the game to get it, or so it was for me. I consider Far Cry 2 a masterpiece but it's absolutely not for everyone.
There is some interesting handling in its conclusion, but my recommendation was solely so as to not churn out missions as one would in a typical game structured like it, as I think that's why a lot of people end up getting as tired of it as they do.

catmario

I'm concerning about where to buy DA:O. Steam? Origin?
Can I import DA:O steam version's save-file to origin version of DA2 or DA:I?

Far Cry 2 would have been great if it wasn't broken on my computer for some reason.

I get the weirdest glitch where the cellphone doesn't work and you never get past the tutorial.

Thanks for the replies guys. Rickenslacker I've seen the hours you put into Spelunky so I'm glad to hear your opinions on it. The breadth of the gameplay and the focus on player ability versus stat points and character upgrades in Rogue Legacy lead me to think I'd prefer Spelunky more. Hopefully it hits 75% off again like it did in Thanksgiving sale.

Spelunky has a greater pick up and play type of replayability.
But Rogue Legacy rewards you with having permanent stat bonuses for doing well.
However, just because you spend your money, IF you can accumulate enough to purchase the upgrade you're eye, does not make the game a lot easier. There is a HUGE element of skill involved when it comes to taking down bosses and even more so when you begin NG+. The enemies scale with you -- so you put money into upgrades and everything gets tougher/harder. You can look at it as grinding, but it's BS to say it's not skill based. I'd like to think I have a decent amount of skill when it comes to games like these and I'm at the mercy of the game in NG+ at times because I haven't adjusted to the new twists and turns being thrown at me.

Everyone questioning Rogue Legacy should be put to the noose.

I agree with this man!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I've never heard DA2 was an expansion. I can believe it was a side product/offshoot that got pushed to the forefront based on DA:O's success when it clearly wasn't ready, though.

I meant a stand alone expansion, sorry for the confusion.

I and anyone who played the game at length can confirm that it was an unfinished rush job.There was a thread awhile ago where one of the now retired founders admitted that the increase in shallow game complexity in each new title was a planned target and not a series of missteps. This combined with their aims to "capture the COD market" grants credence that quality control was internally quashed instead of coming from EA.

RedSwirl

But seriously why? The closest thing to it I've played is Rogue Squadron like 10 years ago. I really have no idea what kind of game it is.

Khronico

I own Spelunky on 3 platforms and have put hours into it on each, but I've never made it past 2-1.

KILL ME

Took me about two hours to just get past 1-3.

Also, I'm getting Omega Boost vibes from Strike Suit Zero. Is it like that game at all? Because it's probably one of my favorite ps1 games and one of my favorite shooters.

Kapow

I just saw that I won a giveaway so I wanna thank Hop for Half Life 2! It's a game i've been meaning to play for a long long time. Thanks again brother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom