• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umi88

Quick question. Does everyone manually put the image of the game on there or does it do it automatically? I did a giveaway and there was no game pic.

modbot gives you the quote with the image, matching the steam title of the game I supose

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Oh God, I miss the Onimusha series, even though I never played the third. Should I be ashamed?

Yes, because it was an amazing collaboration of Reno and some other people, but mostly Reno.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8L34rvLOxY

The Enhanced Steam plugin shows you the total for everything on your wishlist and gives you a button to buy it all at once.

Hmm, I didn't know that was a thing as it is lacking on the Opera version. If only I wasn't so afraid of foxes and/or SeaMonkey worked with the add-on.

Rogue Legacy will last long right?

Aye, you can get plenty of hours from it. Either by trying to build a set of stats and abilities you most wanted, just taking the time to killed and smash everything each time you are in a castle, or ever improving your skill and tactics with different abilities and tools and traits, it'll last you quite some time. Especially with the recent patch that added some remix bosses for added challenge.

unrelated, thread-derailing question - is your username a reference to the great Dredg song of the same name? If so, brofist!
Yup. I needed a new gamertag years ago and wasn't feeling especially creative, so I lifted it from the title of the dredg track. Catch Without Arms is one of my favourite albums.

It will, but be prepared for a grind.

The beginning of the game can be really grindy while you level up and get better.

Later on though it gets really cool.

I think that's dependent on skill level -- you can do a lot early game if you've got some skill and begin to understand how it works.

I've never felt the need to grind a lot of things out -- though I have had runs where I want a specific upgrade and have a target amount to come back with...

What was most surprising to me was how different and challenging NG+ is... I'm getting my ass handed to me and my file is over level 120, I believe.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Yeeeeeessss. Spread the TurquoiseJeep all around

raheemdance01.gif

Someone should shop a wallet onto the girls head, and gaben's head onto the dude in the red suit.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think that's dependent on skill level -- you can do a lot early game if you've got some skill and begin to understand how it works.

Yeah, but when you first start playing the skill level will likely be low.

I didn't feel like I was really enjoying it until I got some blood items, double jump, and dash. Getting a second dash made it even better. I found myself enjoying it a lot more when I had some mobility.

KenOD

Look, to the sky, from space above and beyond, a give away to score.

If you win, no need for thanks. Just think about sharing a game yourself down the road to make them happy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Strike Suit Infinity -- MB-F4C2A0AC4C38526A - Taken by GK86. 18 entrants total.

t1387789486z1.png

I didn't feel like I was really enjoying it until I got some blood items, double jump, and dash. Getting a second dash made it even better. I found myself enjoying it a lot more when I had some mobility.

jeez there are extra skills?
i havent even scratched the surface then
there isnt a spring sale is there?
id like a reprieve to actually play some games lol

I agree with this... I just see stuff about it being grindy -- and I haven't had that feeling with the game... it's never like "I can't beat this until I grind out another 75 upgrades to my lifebar.".

You just need to be a little creative with class choices and stuff sometimes -- and work with what would make you better at the game (double jumps, dashes, etc.)

Personally, I'm a huge fan of syphon runes. I use 3 of them with a dash and a double jump.

KenOD

It will, but be prepared for a grind.

The beginning of the game can be really grindy while you level up and get better.
Note the original context was in response to a comparison of it to Spelunky in part and the feeling another fellow Gaffer felt in regards to "you had to grind".

Later on though it gets really cool.

I'm just going to quote myself from the other thread.

Just the other day I set up a new profile for Rogue Legacy in which I am ignoring the Manor (purchase upgrades for stats) save for increasing the amount of armour I can equip, the Smitty (to get armour and weapons), and the Enchantress to use the runes. All of which takes very little money that I easily get without really going out of my way to get gold due to my nature of "kill everything".
My plan and purpose is to see how far into the game I can get without "grinding" for gold and the like to get those stat increases, instead focusing only on improving my skill in the game and just using what is found in the castle instead. Chests with stats increase, special items from praying at an alter, armour and weapon unlocks, etc are the only increase I am using just as though it was a 16-bit game beyond the three things I unlocked in the Manor mentioned above.

What I've found is that it is entirely playable this way, with every area still open to reach despite the characters being much weaker than I would be if I was "grinding" to get all those stats and character classes. A standard knight can make his/her way through the tower, castle, dungeon, and forest and survive with most every spell (some better than others) even without runes, and then runes just making it easier/more fun. I wish my knight could do more at times, but I also wish Simon Belmont could whip diagonally in those early games.
Each of the bosses have rather basic and easy to plot movements and attacks. It took longer that I imagined, but each of them fell eventually even with those weak attacks and small pool of mana to attack with (except the dungeon one, due to the constant potion bottles being dropped). It was no worse than any NES/Mega Drive Castlevania.

Without the benefit of a much higher health points or magic bar or special classes that can take better damage or naturally faster or special abilities like mist form I was left really with just focusing on skills such as best use of a sword swing hitting enemies from behind, the drop down attack manoeuvre, and being good with those sub-weapons. Runes had to be selected better because I couldn't depend on living that long if I was hurt often, so avoidance became a key tactic with dash and double jump and sometimes the glide which I had all but ignored in the "grind" play through.
Aye one can argue against having to enter a new castle constantly just to build up all those items in chests and focus too much, but that is going to be dependent on the perception one has of them, if they are "needed" or "a nice thing to make the game easier". I choose the later and just finding them eventually, even though I died a lot, as just a normal part of me trying to clear out the castle and having fun getting to the bosses.

I'm not saying this type of play through would help anyone who wasn't a fan of it in the first play through with it's obvious intended play style of course, which I talked about in a previous post about why comparing it to Speunky and the like doesn't fit with me, but instead that after experimenting it is entirely possible to play the game in a different way that doesn't focus on those issues. I think the best comparison is Hard Corps: Uprising which offered a way to play it in standard Contra style and than a RPG build up style, I could do either and enjoy them for both purposes. I didn't need to "fill bars" or unlock everything to make it through most of the game (I've only just beat the 4th boss) and yet I'm still having fun.

Aye it quite helps to pick up some runes (you find those in the castle), but you don't really have to worry about "grinding" unless you are trying to get everything, unlock everything. Those early on abilities such as double jump, air dash, etc come rather quickly and early on and hardly difficult to pay for right away.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I agree with this... I just see stuff about it being grindy -- and I haven't had that feeling with the game... it's never like "I can't beat this until I grind out another 75 upgrades to my lifebar.".

You just need to be a little creative with class choices and stuff sometimes -- and work with what would make you better at the game (double jumps, dashes, etc.)

Personally, I'm a huge fan of syphon runes. I use 3 of them with a dash and a double jump.

I don't know, I guess for me it felt like a bit of a grind until I got an hour and a half into it. It was the kind of thing where I knew I could be much more deliberate in my actions and do better but I didn't truly feel the incentive because if I just died then whatever, I could buy an upgrade and still progress, which did get sort of tedious at a point.

I'm just going to quote myself from the other thread.

Aye it quite helps to pick up some runes (you find those in the castle), but you don't really have to worry about "grinding" unless you are trying to get everything, unlock everything. Those early on abilities such as double jump, air dash, etc come rather quickly and early on and hardly difficult to pay for right away.

Yeah, I don't doubt that it's definitely possible but it's certainly an outlier case and not the norm and I'd suspect (at least for myself) it wouldn't be as fun as when you start getting some great runes.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Many thanks to Moses Donut for Dead Space. Thanks a lot dude. Always wanted to try the game since it was first released on 360/PS3 years ago.

Caerith

You know you've got the hang of it when you take out two mini-bosses on NG+2 as a Spelunker.
At least, you think you've got the hang of it, then you fight Neo Khidr.

Best rune combination, though? 4 jump 1 dash. Go into one of those rooms where it's a long corridor of spikes and those temporary platforms and all precision jumping? Nah, just jump jump jump jump across.

All of it, no resisting now

Super House of Dead Ninjas, but I haven't played Rogue Legacy lol
Rogue Legacy now, while it's a Daily. SHoDN when it becomes a Daily/Flash. If it doesn't, just buy it the last day.
I'm also saving for Dark Souls so that's why it's one or the other. I've played the browser version of SHDN and the RL demo, but both were great so it's tough to decide between them

EdmondD

Many thanks to Moses Donut for Dead Space. Thanks a lot dude. Always wanted to try the game since it was first released on 360/PS3 years ago.

You're in for a treat. It's a damn good game. Recently replayed it on pc. I used to have it on PS3 years ago. Too bad EA had to be EA and killed the franchise.

Since the Yogscast Humble Bundle continues to add games I'm starting to get ones I either already have or will never play. So they belong to GAF!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Napoleon Total War -- MB-AB71FA5A2CD85DD9 - Taken by maneil99
Garry's Mod -- MB-724D4DF31C633092 - Taken by crazyrabbits
Shank 2 -- MB-C8772D2B93E0F59A - Taken by Tanner1495

Turfster

Played some more Aliens:Colonial Marines, since I did promise the guy that gifted it to me that I'd play it to completion (I managed to do 2 more missions and am now about a third through, apparently)
Game is still a fucking shitpile, with spazzy teleporting AI that leaves you high and dry during the "epic" fights, enemies that just clip through and ignore the AI teammates to all attack you and way too many sections where you have to wait for the fucking AI to do something for you. All you're basically allowed to do is weld doors open.
I feel like a fucking can opener that gets stuck in unblockable slow alien kill animations way too fucking often. You also move at the speed a canopener would move if it used its tines as legs.

I feel sorry for the environmental artists and level designers, that at least managed to recreate the feel of the movies. The gameplay and the gunplay are utter crap, though.

Edit: Great, and now I've fallen into a pit with 2 of the "u wot m8" aliens and a) I can't get out b) THEY DON'T FUCKING ATTACK ME EVEN WHEN I JUMP AND RUN AROUND. Chase me, yes. Actually DO ANYTHING, nope. Time to reload a checkpoint from fucking 30 minutes ago.
Edit2: Of course it was right before a god damned checkpoint too.

Erekiddo

Installed Enhanced Steam. Thought it was pretty rad.

Pulled open account page, it showed how much I've spent in the store.

Turned that option off, albeit too late.

Fuck.

It's not just on GAF, why don't people learn the rules of these steam sales?

- don't buy anything until the end unless it's flash, daily or community.

- no one knows what'll go on sale.

I swear. Broken records on every forum I visit.

Too much patience required. Speaking of, I want Gone Home to be a daily as soon as possible.

Clearing out my inventory.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Toki Tori -- MB-26FF6340D462040C - Taken by Boom Boom Pow. 2 entrants total.
RUSH -- MB-0F00B6CA7D66F6CF - Taken by Cloudius12. 3 entrants total.
Renegade Ops -- MB-C6105D815037D2DB - Taken by firehawk12. 4 entrants total.
EDGE -- MB-C9B535D65768578B - Taken by oipic
Plain Sight -- MB-A2C5A6A487A5EFF0 - Taken by Timedog. 2 entrants total.
Half Life 2 Episode One -- MB-5B8DEA269813147C - Taken by gwynplaine. 5 entrants total.

t1387781071z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom