• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveovig

I'm hoping for a sale on Papers Please and maybe Evoland and Teslagrad. Most of the other games I want probably won't see lower sales than what they are already at.

I started playing it 15 minutes ago and only up to the 6th room, but it seems to me like a pretty intriguing and smart game with a relaxing graphic style.
Totally worth the 1.34€ I paid for it so far.

I concur.

Mine seemed pretty accurate. It doesn't add up the value of your library, it sums up your transaction history. I had about $360 in purchases and $60 in gifts.

Also, I've begin to idle for cards on games I'll never play or finished on other platforms. What's next, robbing liquor stores?

Edit: Why couldn't you let me believe it's not accurate?!
I have a problem. Where is Steamaholics Anonymous?!

Kadin

I'm hoping for a sale on Papers Please and maybe Evoland and Teslagrad. Most of the other games I want probably won't see lower sales than what they are already at.
Might get lower on Steam but you can get Papers, Please at the Humble store right now for $6.66. Just a friendly fyi if you didn't know.

Kadin

It's about that price on the Steam app anyways. I was hoping maybe a $5 price tag or something. Or maybe someone selling a key in the B/S/T thread for that price.
Heh, probably would have been a good idea for me to check that first. $.03 savings really isn't that much...lol!

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Damn it, SteamGAF...
eV2.png

Couldn't resist all the positive talk about Rogue Legacy in here.
And goodmorning. Or evening, whatever.

steveovig

Is The Bridge anything like Braid? By that, what I mean is are the puzzles as hard and complicated as Braid? Didn't like Braid much because the puzzles were too hard for me.

Kadin

Is The Bridge anything like Braid? By that, what I mean is are the puzzles as hard and complicated as Braid? Didn't like Braid much because the puzzles were too hard for me.
Braid was such a great game. I will admit though that I did have to check one or two guides for some of those levels. Very unique and I really hope a sequel is in the works.

If you never finished it, I'd highly recommend it even if you have to "cheat" here and there to get past the difficult puzzles.

steveovig

I had $1.08 from Steam cards in my Wallet so I decided to give The Bridge a try. I'll install it and give it a go tomorrow. This is the first game of the sale for me and I'll probably buy a lot more on Tuesday night when I get a little more cashflow.

Divius

Damn it, SteamGAF...
http://i.picpar.com/eV2.png[img]

Couldn't resist all the positive talk about Rogue Legacy in here.
And goodmorning. Or evening, whatever.[/QUOTE]Goedemorgen. I'm playing some Rogue Legacy as we speak and am very much enjoying it.

Anyone got any general tips? Like what should I spend gold on?

Jawmuncher

Not sure if I should even bother with Battlefield 2 even though it has my vote.
Only BF game I have enjoyed was Bad Company 2. That was just the perfect mix gameplay compared to 3 and 4.

Caerith

That is certainly a reason, not a very good one though.

The other reason is that the Japanese are aware of how distant their island is from the English-speaking world, so they typed in all caps to approximate how loudly they'd have to shout for you to hear them.

Goedemorgen. I'm playing some Rogue Legacy as we speak and am very much enjoying it.

upgrades
cant amass a fortune for your lineage if you die all the time
^more proof that Windows 8 should be avoided like the plague

Echoplx

The other reason is that the Japanese are aware of how distant their island is from the English-speaking world, so they typed in all caps to approximate how loudly they'd have to shout for you to hear them.

Much better, this can be the official reason from now on.

Onionkid

Goedemorgen. I'm playing some Rogue Legacy as we speak and am very much enjoying.

Well early on, try to get the Shinobi/Hokage as they deal some pretty crazy damage. They become useless later on when your crit hit chance/damage increases, but early on they're fantastic for boss fights/gold farming. I'd say always keep an eye on the new runes/pieces of gear you're getting and keep upgrading your carry capacity stat as needed with those. Vampirism runes/gear can be handy early on since health is scarce.

One thing I would say you *shouldn't* bother leveling up early on (costs quite a bit) is the one to reduce Charon's gold penalty (minus the first point you need to put into it to get the Hokage, I believe). Or really don't bother with the gold increasing stat either (also crazy expensive early on). And I don't remember how easy it is/if you can keep building up the castle for better stats without picking it, but I'd say avoid the Spelunker/Miner class if possible. I really focused on Barbarians and Hokages early on so went health/armor/melee damage...but the mages all get really solid as their stats go up too. In that regard, just figure out if you wanna sling spells or do melee damage. There really aren't too many "useful" magic spells though.

Jawmuncher

Odd, I was playing it on 8.1 the other day no problems at all.

I'll have to mess around with it. Can't quite pinpoint the issue since compatibility modes didn't do anything. I get the steam box saying "preparing to launch sequence" for a brief time then that disappears and nothing.

Divius

Well early on, try to get the Shinobi/Hokage as they deal some pretty crazy damage. They become useless later on when your crit hit chance/damage increases, but early on they're fantastic for boss fights/gold farming. I'd say always keep an eye on the new runes/pieces of gear you're getting and keep upgrading your carry capacity stat as needed with those. Vampirism runes/gear can be handy early on since health is scarce.

One thing I would say you *shouldn't* bother leveling up early on (costs quite a bit) is the one to reduce Charon's gold penalty (minus the first point you need to put into it to get the Hokage, I believe). Or really don't bother with the gold increasing stat either (also crazy expensive early on). And I don't remember how easy it is/if you can keep building up the castle for better stats without picking it, but I'd say avoid the Spelunker/Miner class if possible. I really focused on Barbarians and Hokages early on so went health/armor/melee damage...but the mages all get really solid as their stats go up too. In that regard, just figure out if you wanna sling spells or do melee damage. There really aren't too many "useful" magic spells though.
I don't know what any of this means but I'm excited to find out, thanks!

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I love roguelikes (Spelunky and Isaac to some degree), but the talk of grind in Rogue Legacy dampens any impulse I have to grab it. I barely tolerated it in Isaac, and it seems even more emphasized in Rogue. Still, I'm itching for something new, is there anything else on Steam that resembles any of these games?

Dec

I'll have to mess around with it. Can't quite pinpoint the issue since compatibility modes didn't do anything. I get the steam box saying "preparing to launch sequence" for a brief time then that disappears and nothing.

Is there actually an error? Sounds like you need to restart Steam.

tmespe

The remote install functionality on steam is a godsend. I am at my family's over the holidays, and being able to download all my purchases while away is fantastic. Can't wait to get back and play all my new games for 20 minutes and put them in my backlog.

Onionkid

I love roguelikes (Spelunky and Isaac to some degree), but the talk of grind in Rogue Legacy dampens any impulse I have to grab it. I barely tolerated it in Isaac, and it seems even more emphasized in Rogue. Still, I'm itching for something new, is there anything else on Steam that resembles any of these games?

The grind in Rogue Legacy is fairly minimal and the game is overall pretty easy. Early on when you first start playing, you can die/need to grind a little too much perhaps. I mean, my thought on that is that my main save was up to the max lvl (like, 507 or 504, something around there), my secondary save was up to lvl ~200, I had gotten every rune/piece of gear, and I beat all the newly added *hard* boss fights and have all the achievements with ~50 hours played. I mean, for a game with RPG elements, that's absolutely reasonable.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Voted for Battlefield. Let's do this.

I've been voting for EA games simply because there has seemingly been an inordinate amount of EA deals over the past nine or so months and once the Winter Sale is over I intend to compare 2012 to 2013 in that regard.

Also, a public thanks to Xelios for helping me out with the NA version of HAWX 2 and its DLC. :)

Caerith

Goedemorgen. I'm playing some Rogue Legacy as we speak and am very much enjoying it.

Equipment -> Runes (jump/dash take priority) -> Manor upgrades.

In the manor, upgrade to the right first, get Archmage and Spelunker on the way to the +Gold passive. It is expensive, but over the course of the game, getting an extra 50% gold will cut down a ton of grinding. After that, unlock to the left and get Paladin, Barbarian King, and Assassin (the advanced forms of the core jobs, and the three with the most useful abilities). From here on, focus on upgrading Strength (because it determines your base damage-- more of this is never a bad thing) and try to max it out before you do anything else. Only upgrade Equipment Weight when you need it to wear new equipment. Once your Strength is as high as you feel comfortable (if you can oneshot mobs in the Maya, you're doing good), continue left through Hokage to get the critical skills. Max these next. Hokage doesn't do well with criticals but criticals do well with everything else. Once you have maxed strength and criticals, you're pretty much a killing machine.

If you'd prefer to play a magic class, focus on Intelligence and SP and upgrade to the right for Spellthief and stuff. Most people do melee.

Tellaerin

Just reposting this for the night crew, since you guys might've missed it:

Shadow Warrior was my top pick for 2013 Steam GOTY, and I wanted to share a little joy with the generous folks here who've done so much to brighten up my year , so...

WHO WANTS SOME WANG?!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shadow Warrior -- MB-8F176E7501AD4CB4

t1387832370z1.png

The_Monk

Good morning good people, hope you are all fine as well your wallets in this morning!

in before Divius wakes up too and Grief goes to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom