• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2013: DIE HARDER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

so I have a dollar on my wallet, gotta leave for work, 9 hour shift

im gonna leave some games running to farm cards, and swap them by accessing my PC remotely from work on my phone, and put them on the market and hopefully buy Eldritch from there

THE FUTURE

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
captureutsqx.png
Cloudberry Kingdom is ~$2.72 on GMG (with GMG20-ZB5D1-93X49)
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/au/en/pc/games/indie/cloudberry-kingdom/
It says $9.99 for me. Bummer, I'll wait for a Steam discount.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
80% off eldritch is pretty good, how did the game turn out?

From the Indie Games thread:

Dull and piss-easy right now and I say that as a huge fan of the genre. Maybe the DLC will make me change my mind but I was greatly disappointed at how little I wanted to replay this game after finishing it.

I concur. I like the freedom of movement and stealth elements, and the tactics are cool, but I felt that it was too easy, especially with so much ammo, health, and currency lying around. There aren't enough weapons or magic, and the enemy designs just weren't weird or unique enough for a game inspired by Lovecraftian fiction. Has a lot of potential though

The NG+ is supposed to be harder and there is also a true ending, but like you said there really wasn't enough content to justify multiple playthroughs.

I'm hoping this expansion changes that.
This was a little before the expansion phantomspiker notes was incorporated into the base game. I don't remember reading whether it actually improved things, but if you're that determined you might want to check the thread and see if anyone followed up.

Bought Garry's Mod as a gift. Decided to sell the card I made off of it (as well as the one I got from voting), and I just witnessed some card prices plummetting into oblivion.

MNC

Jesus Christ guys, the art style in Guacamelee is amazing. I fucking love it. They're really overdoing the inside jokes in the background though.

1024x575.resizedimage

Coldsun

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tolerance, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

HE Duality: Inception Part 1 DLC -- MB-1DA301930DD789A5 - Taken by derExperte
ulgzbKC.png
Battlegroup (Desura) -- MB-BE1C3264B96E8D83 - Taken by Boom Boom Pow. 2 entrants total.
PGP3OVL.png
Creatures Exodus (GOG) -- MB-C22BB255167D7396 - Taken by Stumpokapow
HE Duality: Inception Part 3 DLC -- MB-4B0F0DF8568C0868
Hacker Evolution Duality Hardcore Package 1 -- MB-B9E1998F0D4CF07C - Taken by redfirm. 1 entrants total.
HE Duality: Inception Part 2 DLC -- MB-6B02B7BE2E94382A - Taken by ModBot - Taken by pantsattack
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-3485877D63397596 - Taken by Lonewolf_92. 2 entrants total.

t1387805193z1.png

Sorry if the HE codes are already claimed (don't think they are though)

MisterM

I didn't think I wanted anything but have ended up getting the following so far:

The Bridge
Bit.Trip Runner
Bit.Trip Void
Electronic Super Joy
Sine Mora
Deus Ex: HR Director's Cut
Ace of Spades (gifted to the boy, he wanted it..in fact it was a well spent £2.49 for the peace and quiet I got yesterday afternoon!)

I'm limited to Controller Supported games as I mainly play on the HTPC, the boy has his own desktop PC.

..now I just need some time to play all these damn games and GT6!!

There's a whole heap of delightful gaming waiting for you between Legend, Anniversary and Underworld, let alone the new one (which I found quite enjoyable, for what it is, even if it is a departure from the formula of the older games).

I keep telling myself to buy it and then I'll at least have them for the future when I figure out how to get Windows on my iMac. I know there's Boot Camp and I've been told in other Steam threads it works just fine, but I have the new iMac with no DVD drive so even if I had a copy of Windows to use for BC (which I don't) I wouldn't be able to use it without finding/borrowing/buying an external DVD drive.

I want in on all these sales but I won't ever get to use them :(

Erekiddo

I'm $4 away from a free copy of Starbound. Been selling cards. So.. Close..

Totally bought Eldritch though. With real cash. Just because.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I recommend anybody who likes old school run-and-gun shooters to pick up Shadow Warrior. It's a legitimately well designed and focused homage to the original franchise and genre style of play. Level design is a lot more linear than maze/hub-like stages of the Duke3D/Shadow Warrior era, but the encounters are smartly designed around projectile attacks and melee confrontations so you have no annoying hitscan stuff from enemies. Bigger encounters really throw a ton of enemies at you with decent variety, kind of like a traditional arcade game, where XP/ranking is based on how quickly you can chain together kills as well as the style of your kills.

Earlier parts of the game feel a little bit weaker due to having only a couple of weapons and none of your power/sword buffs, but it quickly picks up once you start learning some of the sword basics and upgrade your weapon damage/accuracy/etc. Swapping between sword attacks and ranged works really well, and melee isn't regressed to a secondary attack. You can quite comfortably walk in and out of encounters using just the sword. Hit feedback from weapons can be a bit bullet-spongey, but it's okay because the lack of hitscan enemies means you can pump them full of bullets while dodging their own attacks. Gore is over the top and crazy satisfying, especially the semi-procedural dismemberments with the sword.

As a whole the game is also surprisingly long. I was expecting something a lot more along the lines of your standard digital release, but the campaign takes you a good few places and lasts a fairly long time, especially for a digital game. Story is stupid silly and the humour might not work with a lot of people, but it's suitably satirical seriousness without edging on racism for jokes.

I didn't like Hard Reset much as the hit feedback and weapon play never felt satisfying to me. Shadow Warrior is the exact opposite and seems like a clear design and production improvement from Flying Wild Hog. Really excited for their next project simply because of how well rounded Shadow Warrior is, and I highly recommend it to anybody who got a kick out of stuff like Bulletstorm thanks to the itch it scratched that so many other games lately do not.

Arthea

Definitely going to endorse Awesomenauts here. If you're a person who hasn't really been super captivated by traditional MOBA type games then it's something you're really going to want to check out. Sort of a 2D side scrolling platformer / MOBA hybrid that is extremely easy to pick up and enjoy and has been graced with support from its developers since its release.

Unfortunately the next few content (character) updates from this point on seem to be relegated behind the Awesomenauts Starstorm DLC paywall but the content that it provides in the base package is more than worth $2.50

Bought.

Easy to pic up maybe true, but I tried it when it had free weekend on steam and it isn't fun... if anything I would choose something like GOME over it, or even DOTA.

Jesus Christ guys, the art style in Guacamelee is amazing. I fucking love it. They're really overdoing the inside jokes in the background though.

1024x575.resizedimage

Yeah, I picked it up from the Humble Store when it was super cheap and just finished it today, one of the best looking games I've played all year. There's an ability you get a bit later in the game that makes the artstyle even more impressive -
being able to switch between the real world and the 'world of the dead' at will lets you really appreciate the thought and craft put into the environment. The visuals become so much more impressive when you can directly compare the two different artstyles, colour palettes and atmospheres that are present in the same area

They do lay it on pretty damn thick with all the in-jokes and references though.

Ovek

7Member7
Has Skyrim been in the sale yet? Much to my own horror I've never played it and will need something to occupy my time over the Christmas holiday. ;)

MisterM

Real Talk: Bit Trip Beat is the best in the series.

Aw, did Beat & 2 get a discount too? I forgot about those. I just saw Runner for dirt cheap and for slighty more dirt you could get both Runner & Void.

EDIT - I already have Beat! But not 2, Core and Fate...this has been remedied and I now have them all...curse you, Gabe!

thekenta

I recommend anybody who likes old school run-and-gun shooters to pick up Shadow Warrior. It's a legitimately well designed and focused homage to the original franchise and genre style of play. Level design is a lot more linear than maze/hub-like stages of the Duke3D/Shadow Warrior era, but the encounters are smartly designed around projectile attacks and melee confrontations so you have no annoying hitscan stuff from enemies. Bigger encounters really throw a ton of enemies at you with decent variety, kind of like a traditional arcade game, where XP/ranking is based on how quickly you can chain together kills as well as the style of your kills.

Earlier parts of the game feel a little bit weaker due to having only a couple of weapons and none of your power/sword buffs, but it quickly picks up once you start learning some of the sword basics and upgrade your weapon damage/accuracy/etc. Swapping between sword attacks and ranged works really well, and melee isn't regressed to a secondary attack. You can quite comfortably walk in and out of encounters using just the sword. Hit feedback from weapons can be a bit bullet-spongey, but it's okay because the lack of hitscan enemies means you can pump them full of bullets while dodging their own attacks. Gore is over the top and crazy satisfying, especially the semi-procedural dismemberments with the sword.

As a whole the game is also surprisingly long. I was expecting something a lot more along the lines of your standard digital release, but the campaign takes you a good few places and lasts a fairly long time, especially for a digital game. Story is stupid silly and the humour might not work with a lot of people, but it's suitably satirical seriousness without edging on racism for jokes.

I didn't like Hard Reset much as the hit feedback and weapon play never felt satisfying to me. Shadow Warrior is the exact opposite and seems like a clear design and production improvement from Flying Wild Hog. Really excited for their next project simply because of how well rounded Shadow Warrior is, and I highly recommend it to anybody who got a kick out of stuff like Bulletstorm thanks to the itch it scratched that so many other games lately do not.

I want this game so bad after seeing the Stan Bush Launch Trailer.
Reminds me of what Duke Nukem Forever could have been.

I didn't like Hard Reset much as the hit feedback and weapon play never felt satisfying to me. Shadow Warrior is the exact opposite and seems like a clear design and production improvement from Flying Wild Hog.
OK, this makes me want to play it, as that is the exact reason I didn't dig Hard Reset too much. The game looked great but I couldn't find any weapons that felt right, which really ruined it for me.

I grabbed Shadow Warrior during the last sale on a whim, so I might give it a whirl now. Cheers!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You just gotta kinda push through with Shadow Warrior. The sword is really great, but you start off with the absolute basics and a fairly shitty pistol. Hurts combat diversity and satisfaction of deeply engaging with opponents. Then you'll pick up some new equipment, upgrade your weapons so you're shooting two sub machineguns instead of one, blasting energy out of your sword, and mowing down hoards with ease. Good stuff.

Divius

Another game down, just finished HARD RESET. Accidentally skipped the final cutscene so off youtube I go!

edit: looks like I only skipped the last 5 seconds, lol.

Phinor

I was about to buy Blackguards but then read http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/13/blackguards-preview/. And then http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9232 which is more positive. Not sure.

From what I gather, a lot of people were surprised by that negative reaction by RPS. The game has been a positive surprise to a lot of people, including a very positive preview in Finnish gaming magazine Pelit which might not mean much to most people but I value the opinion of this specific writer. Also read the RPS preview comments, a lot of people disagreeing with the preview.

That being said, I'll wait for the release. Early access games are just annoying at this point, so many great games I've yet to play so I really don't have the time to play early access games just to play them again at release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom